PDA

View Full Version : Boston Globe: Spurs Looking For A Spark

ShoogarBear
01-21-2007, 05:52 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/articles/2007/01/21/spurs_looking_for_a_spark/

Spurs looking for a spark
Listless San Antonio can't get untracked

By Peter May | January 21, 2007

Gee, what a perfect time for the Celtics to finally beat the Spurs! San Antonio's big three are struggling. The Spurs' bench is horrible. Their trademark defense is inconsistent. Their coach thinks he's going crazy.

How could the Celtics not finally put an end to this streak?

Oh, yeah. Never mind.

But seriously, folks, the Spurs make their only appearance in Boston tomorrow night and they are no better than a strong third in the West -- which means they're a strong third in the NBA. The problems cited by coach Gregg Popovich might be ones that 25 or so other coaches would gladly deal with, but for the Spurs, the standard is almost impossibly high.

As he put it last week, "It's hard for us to be as hungry as Phoenix or Dallas. They're very hungry. It's very difficult for us to be that hungry, and I understand that. We have what they want."

That would be NBA championships, as in three of them since the lottery balls went the right way in 1997 and delivered Tim Duncan to the Alamo City. It's basically been championship-or-nothing since then, the exceptions being perhaps Duncan's rookie year and 2000, when Duncan was hurt and didn't play in the postseason.

Duncan has never lost to the Celtics. Talk about curses. By extension, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili have never lost to the Celtics, either. But the Spurs' Big Three are sputtering, says Popovich, trying to do too much, trying to go it alone.

"The ball isn't moving," Popovich said. "They each want to win it on their own. We're not sharing it. We're a little out of kilter right now. Our big three have to play better. We're not running on all pistons. When we do, we'll be fine. But when will that be?"

The bench -- mainly Michael Finley, Robert Horry, and Beno Udrih -- has been dreadful. Finley entered last night averaging a career-low 7.5 points on 37.5 percent shooting while Horry was even worse, averaging just 3.9 points on 34.1 percent shooting. If those guys aren't making shots, they're not much use.

Despite the apparent defensive inconsistencies, the Spurs entered last night ranked second in points allowed and ninth in field goal defense. (They usually are among the top three in the latter.) But, to listen to Pop, it's amazing the Spurs haven't morphed into the Grizzlies.

"For us, the bottom line is defense, and we've gotten a bit stale there," he said. "It's become almost taking it for granted. The focus just hasn't been there. We're a little out of rhythm there, not as committed as in the past. And if we don't have that personality, we're not the Spurs."

Popovich, who took over as coach 18 games into the 1996-97 season, said, "They think I'm a bit whacked because I'd like this to be a little bit more urgent than they do. Either they'll figure it out or they won't."

They also have been distinctly un-Spurlike at home, losing seven games already. They lost only seven home games all last season. Last Wednesday, they lost to the Lakers at home, 100-96, and Popovich said, "After that game, I told the coaches that if I had been a fan, I would have booed us, too. We waited until the final six minutes to play. You can't do that. We're not that good."

OK, but in Boston, a record of 28-13 looks pretty good. And with games against the 76ers and Celtics tonight and tomorrow night, there is a chance to get a winning streak going. And San Antonio-Boston is no longer a streak -- it's a ritual. The Spurs have beaten Boston 17 straight times and have not lost to the Celtics in San Antonio since March 1993. The Celtics will get a second crack at the Spurs in San Antonio in March.

By that time, all of the aforementioned inadequacies had better be rectified or Popovich figures he can make earlier-than-normal vacation plans. But he says there's still time and hope.

"Phoenix and Dallas are playing great; they're much better than anyone else right now," he said. "But, for me, the silver lining is that I don't think they are going to get any better and we have a ton of room for improvement. If we can do that, we can compete. If not, there's a 50-50 shot we'll go out in the first round."

spurschick
01-21-2007, 05:59 PM
Gee, what a perfect time for the Celtics to finally beat the Spurs! San Antonio's big three are struggling.

They are? I realize that they think they need to take over games, but Mr. May is stretching it quite a bit by saying they're struggling.

ShoogarBear
01-21-2007, 06:01 PM
Actually, he was just paraphrasing what Pop said.

But I agree, if our bench wasn't sucking so much, there wouldn't be this pressure on the big three.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-21-2007, 06:30 PM
The Spurs are somewhat like the Celtics of old.

If David Robinson would have stayed healthy throughout Duncan's career the Spurs would have been a frightening force. As it is their accomplishments have been amazing.

Solid D
01-21-2007, 06:37 PM
So true Chopper. Unfortunately, the Spurs had to wait on David for 2 years after drafting him. That was even after drafting the Midshipman at the end of his Senior year.

SenorSpur
01-21-2007, 06:49 PM
Pop is full of shit. If he was so worried about maintaining his vaunted DEFENSE, why did he sell out to older, permieter players (Barry and Finley) who couldn't guard an inoperable ATM machine?

Of course, not having a presence to protect the paint (besides Duncan) is also an issue.

GrandeDavid
01-21-2007, 07:24 PM
I am so proud of this damn 17 game win streak against Boston. Tim Duncan has never lost to them. Damn.

johnpaulwall21
01-21-2007, 10:38 PM
Well hopefully we'll keep that streak against the Celtics for another 17 games but it seems all the win streaks against teams are getting broken this year.

TDMVPDPOY
01-21-2007, 11:42 PM
celtics is overrated

the fans always boast about there young players and hype them up they have allstar potential when they havnt done shit to prove they are among the best. A BUNCH of scrubs.

timvp
01-21-2007, 11:43 PM
ShoogarBear loses points for going to boston.com.

:td

ShoogarBear
01-21-2007, 11:57 PM
:lol

I go there every week. Their Sunday basketball column is pretty good.

17 years of old pre-Internet habits die hard.

Tom_Foolery
01-22-2007, 12:48 AM
It's not easy winning back-to-back championships, but i do think Popovich & the spurs had a better chance of repeating than most. it's not like the team they've had couldn't do it, they just fell short.

I think that's what separates some of the greatest coaches like Phil Jackson, Pat R, and Red apart from good coaches like Popovich. I have always thought PhilJax had the luxury of great talent like MJ, Shaq & Kobe, but I would almost be willing to bet that Jax could definitely have won probably 3+ titles w/ the Spurs. I think Jax is a better coach when it comes to keeping his teams ready mentally for the playoffs.

The excuse of "we just are not hungy as Phoenix & Dallas and that's what we want" has to lay square on the shoulder of the coach. It is the coaches job to make them focused, hungry, and mentally strong and that's where I see Popovich's weakness at during the playoffs.

polandprzem
01-22-2007, 01:44 AM
They also have been distinctly un-Spurlike at home, losing seven games already. They lost only seven home games all last season. Last Wednesday, they lost to the Lakers at home, 100-96, and Popovich said, "After that game, I told the coaches that if I had been a fan, I would have booed us, too. We waited until the final six minutes to play. You can't do that. We're not that good."

I do not know where Pops sees the place to improve :huh

Is it all about the mentality? Or the tanks are getting emptier and emptier?

T Park
01-22-2007, 02:04 AM
The excuse of "we just are not hungy as Phoenix & Dallas and that's what we want" has to lay square on the shoulder of the coach. It is the coaches job to make them focused, hungry, and mentally strong and that's where I see Popovich's weakness at during the playoffs.

Bullshit.

You bring in players and you tell them whats expected.

This isn't kindygarten.

polandprzem
01-22-2007, 02:21 AM
kindygarten?

TPark - it is rather in players minds. Inside of them. It is not like you tell them to response and they will respond.

Tom_Foolery
01-22-2007, 03:06 AM
Bullshit.

You bring in players and you tell them whats expected.

This isn't kindygarten.

which is why Phil Jackson's Lakers(minus Lamar Odom & Kwame Brown) were able to beat San Antonio...in San Antonio.

sorry, but at some point the coach has to take responsibility for motivating the players. if what you say is how it should be done, then there would be no reason to have a coach in the first place...just have the GM say, "play hard, rebound, score, and play defense" and call it a day.

unfortunately, things aren't that easy.

101A
01-22-2007, 10:15 AM
which is why Phil Jackson's Lakers(minus Lamar Odom & Kwame Brown) were able to beat San Antonio...in San Antonio.

sorry, but at some point the coach has to take responsibility for motivating the players. if what you say is how it should be done, then there would be no reason to have a coach in the first place...just have the GM say, "play hard, rebound, score, and play defense" and call it a day.

unfortunately, things aren't that easy.

How about when Pop's Spurs used to hang with, or even beat, Phil's Lakers in the regular season, then get smoked in the playoffs?

Phil's Lakers, other than one year, COASTED during the regular season, and got beaten by the Spurs, Sac and/or Portland. That team then put questions to rest when it cam nut-cuttin time. You ever stop to think this Spur's team looks eerily similar to those Lakers (or last year's Heat) squads?

Rummpd
01-22-2007, 10:20 AM
Ditto to the above by 101A

RC's Boss
01-22-2007, 12:42 PM
How about when Pop's Spurs used to hang with, or even beat, Phil's Lakers in the regular season, then get smoked in the playoffs?

Phil's Lakers, other than one year, COASTED during the regular season, and got beaten by the Spurs, Sac and/or Portland. That team then put questions to rest when it cam nut-cuttin time. You ever stop to think this Spur's team looks eerily similar to those Lakers (or last year's Heat) squads?
Yeah I was telling a friend of mine from Dallas that over the weekend. Especially Tim. He really looks like he's coasting. Remember LA didn't really have any good players outside of Shaq and Kobe (who is Rick Fox?). Like them, we have a few old cats lounging around. I'm thinking Tim is just waiting for the playoffs to turn it up like he did last year.

RC's Boss
01-22-2007, 12:43 PM
I hope that's the problem!!!???!!???

ShoogarBear
01-22-2007, 01:02 PM
You ever stop to think this Spur's team looks eerily similar to those Lakers (or last year's Heat) squads?I don't think so. Tim's personality is not Shaq's. Pop's personality is not Jackson's. Manu/Tony's personalities are not Kobe's.

The Lakers had guys (well, two actually) who reveled in slacking off, generating negative publicity, and then somehow overcoming that in crunch time.

The Spurs have always been built around reaping the benefits by putting in the hard work. You know, the Jacob Riis thing. Whenever they act like they're the high and mighty big shots, they get it handed to them.

Maybe they'll prove me wrong this year.