PDA

View Full Version : Fransisco Elson will be huge down the stretch

MannyIsGod
01-21-2007, 08:03 PM
I haven't been able to watch much of the game tonight, but when I have I have noticed that Elson's defense has improved a great deal. He is hitting the positions faster and he doesn't seem to be lost on defense in the way he was prior to the injury.

He's got a great skill set to play next to Tim Duncan and be quite effective on the defensive end mainly because his leaping ability and his speed. He's probably not going to win any rebounding titles because he's so skinny, but I think that if he does indeed play smart positional defense then the D on this team will have recived a huge shot in the arm.

I like what I've seen out of him tonight, a lot.

T Park
01-21-2007, 08:05 PM
agreed.

His rotations have brought on some charges, and has blocked at least 3 shots tonight.

Hasn't had very much if at all a chance to take the ball to the rack for an alley oop or even a pick and roll for that jumper or drive to the basket.

SilverPlayer
01-21-2007, 08:14 PM
I would so love for Elson to work out. It would go a really long way to shoring up some of our problem areas namely rebounding, defense, and energy. If he can bring those things with consistency I would put us back in the hunt for the title. I'd still like a backup PG and the long three but then we wouldn't be underdogs would we.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-21-2007, 08:25 PM
He had a great play early in the fourth where he had to step up on Iggy, and then when Andre passed it inside to Hunter he still was quick enough to step over and block Hunter's shot :tu

T Park
01-21-2007, 08:27 PM
Hope he can back this game up with more.

He seems to have grasped alot more of the rotations and D scheme.

If he can keep progressing, thats a huge asset for the team obviously

pad300
01-21-2007, 08:44 PM
You gentlemen obviously had the opportunity to watch the game. SO, would anyone care to compare Elson and Hunter's atheleticism and game. I have encouraged the exploration of a possible trade for Hunter - as I think that between him and Elson, we would be able to put a quick big on the floor next to Tim for all game, and I believe that might be very important playing certain teams (Dallas, Pheonix).

Historically, Elson has a much better jump shot, whereas Hunter was a much better shot blocker. This year, Elson rebounding has improved a lot over his historical - I attribute this to being on a team with a big who occasionally blocks out.

MannyIsGod
01-21-2007, 08:58 PM
They are both athletic, but Hunter is stronger and Elson is faster. I personaly would prefer Hunter in our system. Elso seems to be a much better shooter than Hunter as well.

MannyIsGod
01-21-2007, 09:02 PM
:lol Wrong thread.

K-State Spur
01-21-2007, 09:10 PM
Somebody, maybe it was Kori, pointed out that Bowen's team defense improved greatly when he had the opportunity to watch it from afar while recovering from injury. Maybe we are seeing the same thing with Elson.

MannyIsGod
01-21-2007, 09:11 PM
Somebody, maybe it was Kori, pointed out that Bowen's team defense improved greatly when he had the opportunity to watch it from afar while recovering from injury. Maybe we are seeing the same thing with Elson.That was LJ.

CubanMustGo
01-21-2007, 09:12 PM
Spurs D with Elson >>> Spurs D without Elson

Kori Ellis
01-21-2007, 10:25 PM
I agree that his rotations looked better. Hopefully he actually learned something when he was out. He's fast enough to get to his spot; I just hope he's smart enough to know what to do.

(By the way, he only blocked one shot, but I like y'all's enthusiasm :lol)

T Park
01-21-2007, 10:34 PM
By the way, he only blocked one shot, but I like y'all's enthusiasm

IMO, he got a piece of that Stephen Hunter dunk.

Leetonidas
01-21-2007, 10:56 PM
I agree that his rotations looked better. Hopefully he actually learned something when he was out. He's fast enough to get to his spot; I just hope he's smart enough to know what to do.

(By the way, he only blocked one shot, but I like y'all's enthusiasm :lol)
Really? It seemed like he had like 4 blocks.

ChumpDumper
01-21-2007, 11:43 PM
Elson played tonight?

T Park
01-21-2007, 11:43 PM
Chump, you cheeky bastard.

timvp
01-21-2007, 11:48 PM
I'm hoping he has the same type of Bowen effect. Tonight he looked pretty good ... but still wasn't close to good enough for the Spurs to return to their shutdown roots.

I want him to become a stud defensive player who the Spurs can rely on to block some shots. But honestly, right now, he doesn't bring much more defensively than Nazr brought. Although Elson is much better as a help defender, Nazr was a much better post defender.

The best bigman defender for the Spurs right now is Horry ... and it isn't really even close. If Elson can creep closer to Horry's level, the Spurs will be a lot better off.

SequSpur
01-21-2007, 11:56 PM
Elson is back? I thought that was Brent Barry.

Please_dont_ban_me
01-22-2007, 01:48 AM
I'm hoping he has the same type of Bowen effect. Tonight he looked pretty good ... but still wasn't close to good enough for the Spurs to return to their shutdown roots.

I want him to become a stud defensive player who the Spurs can rely on to block some shots. But honestly, right now, he doesn't bring much more defensively than Nazr brought. Although Elson is much better as a help defender, Nazr was a much better post defender.

The best bigman defender for the Spurs right now is Horry ... and it isn't really even close. If Elson can creep closer to Horry's level, the Spurs will be a lot better off.

I don't know if that will ever happen. He has flashes where he looks great, then at times looks really vulnerable. I would just hope for a little more consistency. Then make a great play once in a while...which he has shown he can do.

kskonn
01-22-2007, 07:57 AM
That one stretch that is being referred to with the hunter missed dunk was really refreshing to see. It has been a long time since Duncan blocked a shot and then there was another big man with the speed to get in position to block the follow up guy. Even if he did not get a piece of the dunk he was the reason hunter missed that dunk. based on how his arm kicked back I think he got a very small piece of that shot.

kskonn
01-22-2007, 07:58 AM

Are you including Duncan in this mix? If so that is a pretty interesting take.

MannyIsGod
01-22-2007, 08:31 AM
That one stretch that is being referred to with the hunter missed dunk was really refreshing to see. It has been a long time since Duncan blocked a shot and then there was another big man with the speed to get in position to block the follow up guy. Even if he did not get a piece of the dunk he was the reason hunter missed that dunk. based on how his arm kicked back I think he got a very small piece of that shot.That was the series that most impressed me with the exception of one in the first quarter. In the first he beat a guard to the middle of the lane to draw a charge. That to me was a great indicator of Elson making a quick rotation which was a great sign to see.

davemaniscool
01-22-2007, 09:49 AM

Nazr a post defender? :lol

alamo50
01-22-2007, 05:44 PM
40 more games to learn and than you'll see why he was brought in here.
See y'all in May, y'all Mavs fans for dear life!

:flag:

SenorSpur
01-22-2007, 09:42 PM
If only we could clone Elson, shrink his size to about 6'8" and we'd have that athletic swingman we've long coveted.

DubMcDub
01-22-2007, 09:44 PM
Said it before and I'll say it again:

If Francisco Elson is the Spurs' ace in the hole, then you guys are in some serious trouble.

Marcus Bryant
01-22-2007, 09:45 PM
oh, ok.

ploto
01-22-2007, 10:18 PM
People are getting a little prematurely giddy about games against two of the worst teams in the NBA.

THE SIXTH MAN
01-22-2007, 10:20 PM
People are getting a little prematurely giddy about games against two of the worst teams in the NBA.
Not true, when we beat the craptors I wasn't really that giddy.

1Parker1
01-22-2007, 10:23 PM

:lol :tu

ploto
01-22-2007, 10:23 PM
At least they can beat the Bobcats at home. :lol

THE SIXTH MAN
01-22-2007, 10:28 PM
At least they can beat the Bobcats at home. :lol
At 19-22, I can see that you'd be giddy about that :spin

ploto
01-22-2007, 10:32 PM
At 19-22, I can see that you'd be giddy about that :spin
Bobcats are better than Boston who the Spurs could barely squeak by.

ChumpDumper
01-22-2007, 10:34 PM
Raptors forum.

THE SIXTH MAN
01-22-2007, 10:36 PM
Bobcats are better than Boston who the Spurs could barely squeak by.
Speaking of barley squeaking by, I thought you guys were supposed to be a legitimate contender in the VERY WEAK eastern conference? :lol

T Park
01-22-2007, 10:37 PM
Is someone in here HONESTLY, HONESTLY, running shit about the Raptors?

Get the fuck out of here with that bullshit.

T Park
01-22-2007, 10:39 PM
Said it before and I'll say it again:

If Francisco Elson is the Spurs' ace in the hole, then you guys are in some serious trouble.

said it before ill say it again.

Hit the fucking road and don't come back.

ploto
01-22-2007, 10:43 PM
Raptors forum.
Hey, I didn't mention the Raptors first. I can't help it if people can't handle the truth and their only response is to bash the Raptors. My how the mighty have fallen.

My post is a legitimate discussion about the fact that people are all excited about two wins over the 2 absolutely worst teams in the East- possibly the entire league. I guess Spurs fans really are desperate to find some hope to cling to.

Marcus Bryant
01-22-2007, 10:45 PM
Francisco Elson? Who here is sucking dick for crack?

ChumpDumper
01-22-2007, 10:51 PM
My post is a legitimate discussionYour post is more troll bait.

Just repeat "I hate the Spurs since they traded Rasho."

T Park
01-22-2007, 10:57 PM
More blue lips love has invaded I see.

timvp
01-23-2007, 12:06 AM
It amazes me how bad of a rebounder Elson is if you put a body on him. If you don't, he's an above average rebounder. If you do, he rebounds at like a Rasho level.

His first game back, Elson had the second lowest +/- on the team. Against Philly, he had the worst. Tonight, I don't have the final numbers yet but it's going to be ugly.

Please_dont_ban_me
01-23-2007, 12:08 AM
His first game back, Elson had the second lowest +/- on the team. Against Philly, he had the worst. Tonight, I don't have the final numbers yet but it's going to be ugly.

Where do you get the +/- stat from?

timvp
01-23-2007, 12:10 AM
Where do you get the +/- stat from?

+/- indicates how many points the team outscored the opponent while the player was on the court. Elson was -3 versus New Orleans and +0 versus Philly. Only Finley's -10 against New Orleans kept Elson from having the worst +/- in back-to-back games.

Or are you asking where the stat can be found?

DubMcDub
01-23-2007, 12:11 AM
said it before ill say it again.

Hit the fucking road and don't come back.

Truth hurts doesn't it? Keep clinging to the notion that a scrub ass reserve from Denver is going to be your salvation against the younger, more athletic teams of the new NBA.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-23-2007, 12:22 AM
Truth hurts doesn't it? Keep clinging to the notion that a scrub ass reserve from Denver is going to be your salvation against the younger, more athletic teams of the new NBA.

Hey! It's kind of like counting on Diop and Dampier to check Tim Duncan!

Please_dont_ban_me
01-23-2007, 01:14 AM
+/- indicates how many points the team outscored the opponent while the player was on the court. Elson was -3 versus New Orleans and +0 versus Philly. Only Finley's -10 against New Orleans kept Elson from having the worst +/- in back-to-back games.

Or are you asking where the stat can be found?

Ya, I meant where it can be found. Like where you physically look for that stat.

BeerIsGood!
01-23-2007, 01:25 AM
It amazes me how bad of a rebounder Elson is if you put a body on him. If you don't, he's an above average rebounder. If you do, he rebounds at like a Rasho level.

Isn't the big factor in the +/- for Elson that he mostly plays on the court with the likes of Beno, Finley, Horry, and everyone else shooting 30% on that horrible bench? I don't know what his minutes breakdown is as far as playing with TD as opposed to playing with Oberto or Horry, but I would think that would effect it.

timvp
01-23-2007, 01:31 AM
Ya, I meant where it can be found. Like where you physically look for that stat.

You can find them a couple places including NBA.com, but I prefer: http://www.popcornmachine.net/GameFlows.html

timvp
01-23-2007, 01:35 AM
Isn't the big factor in the +/- for Elson that he mostly plays on the court with the likes of Beno, Finley, Horry, and everyone else shooting 30% on that horrible bench? I don't know what his minutes breakdown is as far as playing with TD as opposed to playing with Oberto or Horry, but I would think that would effect it.

That is true. However last game Elson played almost all of his minutes with not only Duncan on the court, but the rest of the starters.

He's obviously working his way back into the system and is still favoring his shoulder a little bit, so Spurs fans will have to be patient with him over the next couple games. I expect him to start at some point and almost certainly before the end of the Rodea Road Trip.

ponky
01-23-2007, 02:19 AM

haha.............don't get pissed off, i'm just having fun...duncan is obviously better than diop and dampier but i'll stick with those two because they're part of my team and they do what they need to do, and diop is young so hopefully he'll stick around

http://www.nba.com/media/mavericks/diop_051906.jpg
http://images.tsn.ca/images/stories/20060522/dampier_84888.jpghttp://www.nacion.com/ln_ee/2006/mayo/08/1250164.jpg

DubMcDub
01-23-2007, 04:11 AM

Yeah and WHAT A JOB they did considering he faceraped the Mavs all 7 games last year.

Thanks for proving my point. And by the way Dampier, though by no means great, is a much better player than Elson.

MannyIsGod
01-23-2007, 04:47 AM
God damn, can Spurs fans have a discussion on our players without having the Rasho Groupie and the Dallas Fans troll through the thread?

Kobulingam
01-23-2007, 04:50 AM
I'd trade Manu or Parker for CBosh anyday.

Marcus Bryant
01-23-2007, 09:09 AM
Yeah and WHAT A JOB they did considering he faceraped the Mavs all 7 games last year.

Thanks for proving my point. And by the way Dampier, though by no means great, is a much better player than Elson.

:wakeup

Someone's 15 minutes are up.

Marcus Bryant
01-23-2007, 09:11 AM
God damn, can Spurs fans have a discussion on our players without having the Rasho Groupie and the Dallas Fans troll through the thread?

No shit. I guess I'm getting old. Don't have the energy of these young kids who can spread the love of their favorite NBA team all across the internets.