PDA

View Full Version : Spurs turned down the Clippers.

Buddy Holly
01-22-2007, 12:49 AM
Unhappy with Beno Udrih, the Spurs are on the prowl for a more dependable two-way, pass-and-shoot point guard. Meanwhile, when approached by the Clips a couple weeks ago concerning a possible swap of Udrih and Brent Barry for Maggette, the Spurs astonishingly rejected the notion. You figure it out! "They're only interested in players with expiring contracts," offers a rival executive.

- Peter Vecsey

rayray2k8
01-22-2007, 12:50 AM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58415

Buddy Holly
01-22-2007, 12:51 AM
I used the search function and didn't find anything. Sorry, Kori and LJ.

Leetonidas
01-22-2007, 12:59 AM
Not according to Ludden. And I trust Ludden more.

T Park
01-22-2007, 01:07 AM
I agree with Essay.

timvp
01-22-2007, 01:11 AM

Ludden said that the Spurs wouldn't do the Barry and Beno deal at first. Then the Spurs got desperate and offered the deal. By that time, the Clippers had started playing better and Beno was outed as not being an NBA caliber player. Now Maggette's price tag is higher.

Not too tough to figure out.

MannyIsGod
01-22-2007, 01:27 AM
Actually Ludden said the Clippers were intrigued, and nothing more.

timvp
01-22-2007, 02:02 AM
Yeah, but being intrigued is one of the first steps in completing a trade. It sounded like the Clippers said what they'd be interested in and the Spurs shot it down.

The Clippers would be intrigued by an offer of Brent Barry and Beno Udrih, but the Spurs consider it too risky to part with two of their best ball-handlers. Some Spurs officials also are extremely hesitant to include Barry in any type of deal for Maggette given that Barry has been the team's most dependable reserve while ranking second in the league in 3-point accuracy.

So at one point in time, the Spurs didn't sound like they'd pull the trigger on dealing Barry and Beno for Maggette. Now, they'd do that trade in a second.

I don't think anyone, including Pop and RC themselves, knows for sure whether the Clippers would have done the deal if the Spurs would have offered it at the time. But it'd be hard for someone to argue and say that the chances of making the trade then was less than making the trade now. At the time, the Clippers were losing and Maggette was causing trouble on a daily basis. Now they are winning and Maggette seems to have accepted his role.

From what Ludden has written, it seems as if the Spurs didn't like the deal at first but then after a while would have done the deal. That they changed their view so drastically in such a short time points to a mistake being made.

I could understand if the Spurs offered and the Clippers shot them down. But to wait around until Barry cooled off, Beno became a WNBA player and Maggette shut up to go hard after the trade cost the Spurs any chance they had in getting the fix their roster needs.

MannyIsGod
01-22-2007, 03:47 AM
I still don't believe that the Clips would have done that deal, but I agree with you that there was a mistake made by not pushing hard at that point because that was the only window they would have had if any. I think they hesitated because they weren't exactly bowled over by the prospect of acquiring Magette.

I have no doubt that they see it as a talent upgrade, but I don't think they thought it was the move to push them over the hump. I'm not so sure either, but I think sitting on their hands is a bad move and probably asures us that there won't be a river parade.

MannyIsGod
01-22-2007, 03:48 AM
What I don't understand, is that Ludden calls it an "offer" but says that they are hesitant to do it. Why would they make the offer and then not pull the trigger? That doesn't make sense.

Mr. Body
01-22-2007, 05:45 AM
Yeah, but being intrigued is one of the first steps in completing a trade. It sounded like the Clippers said what they'd be interested in and the Spurs shot it down.

Why do you keep repeating this nonsense? There is no evidence the Clippers would have taken Barry+Udrih and be done with Maggette. At the time the Clips still thought they could get Artest and there was just speculation LAC was 'intrigued' by an offer. Both sides were feeling each other out, keeping lines open, but you're bright enough to know that's about 1% of a trade in this league.

timvp
01-22-2007, 06:06 AM
Why do you keep repeating this nonsense?

What is untrue about the statement? At one point, the Spurs didn't want to trade Barry and Beno for Maggette. That was made loud and clear.

And as a matter of fact, you didn't want to trade Barry and Beno for Maggette at first. You bought into the hype that Barry was too valuable and that Beno was needed for his ball-handling.

Now that it's even more obvious that the Spurs need him, the Spurs (and you) are all for giving up Barry and Beno. It was a mistake ... and a dumb one at that.

There is no evidence the Clippers would have taken Barry+Udrih and be done with Maggette.

True, but there is also no evidence that the Clippers wouldn't have done the trade. The Spurs didn't really going after Maggette until a couple weeks after the report that the Clippers might be looking at Barry and Beno. We'll never know whether they would have taken it or not, because you guys were too in awe of Barry's fluke start and Beno's potential.

At the time the Clips still thought they could get Artest and there was just speculation LAC was 'intrigued' by an offer.

First of all, the Ron Artest rumor was dead by this point. The Artest rumor died around Christmas, while the Clippers came asking questions around New Years.

And again, if there was ever a time to buy Maggette low and sell Barry high, it was at that point. The Artest deal had fallen through and Maggette was crying in the press everyday. Barry was on fire and Beno had potential. By the time it became more obvious that the Spurs needed Maggette, Barry was struggling, Beno was playing like the worst player in the NBA and Maggette had patched things up in LA.

Now the chances of landing Maggette are zero. Around New Years, if the Spurs would have went all out for Maggette, they had some chance of landing him. They stalled ... and now it's over. I don't get why you can't connect the dots.

Both sides were feeling each other out, keeping lines open, but you're bright enough to know that's about 1% of a trade in this league.

How is saying no to a potential deal involving Barry and Beno "keeping lines open"?

At the time, you were talking about getting Maggette without giving up Barry. You were proposing just a group of expiring contracts and Beno for him. Sadly enough, the Spurs were probably doing the same. And it cost the Spurs.

I just don't get how the Spurs could go from not wanting to "give up the basketball IQ and ballhandling of Beno and Barry" to trying all out to get Maggette. Seeing as you went thru the same thinking, perhaps you can tell us where you went wrong.

Bruno
01-22-2007, 06:38 AM
We all have no clue of what exaclty happened between Clippers and Spurs.
Bottomline is that you can draw a lot of scenarios with two Ludden's sentences that are quite indefinite and maybe not true. I've stoped to try to understand all the CIAs things with Maggette and I'm now just in wait and see mode.

Mr. Body
01-22-2007, 10:24 AM
First of all, the Ron Artest rumor was dead by this point. The Artest rumor died around Christmas, while the Clippers came asking questions around New Years.

No, the trade was not dead at Christmas. The Clippers still thought they could get Artest at least until New Year's Day.

And again, if there was ever a time to buy Maggette low and sell Barry high, it was at that point. The Artest deal had fallen through and Maggette was crying in the press everyday. Barry was on fire and Beno had potential. By the time it became more obvious that the Spurs needed Maggette, Barry was struggling, Beno was playing like the worst player in the NBA and Maggette had patched things up in LA.

It's pretty silly to say Maggette had patched things up with LA when, two weeks later, he claimed he would not be with the team by the end of the year. And none of this shows that the Clippers would have accepted Barry+Udrih for Maggette straight up. As it stands, it looks like neither team was ready to make that trade.

Now the chances of landing Maggette are zero. Around New Years, if the Spurs would have went all out for Maggette, they had some chance of landing him. They stalled ... and now it's over. I don't get why you can't connect the dots.

It's certainly not over. I'm not sure why you're saying this. In all likelihood, it's over because the Clippers realize they don't want to trade Maggette, which was the reasoning everyone else in the world had come to before them. There was no "critical phase". Trades don't happen in an instant. If Barry and Udrih playing poorly (along with the entire team) was such an issue, the Clippers would have pulled the plug by the time the final papers were signed.

How is saying no to a potential deal involving Barry and Beno "keeping lines open"?

I'm sorry; I didn't realize they said "No, fuck you!"

They said no to the deal as it was. The Clippers' statement about "a veteran player, a young prospect, and a future first round" was tailor made for the Spurs, it seems. They wanted that first; the Spurs were still not sure they wanted to part with their two ballhandlers. Remember Pop's mission statement that a trade was immanent? He might have been close to it... a week after your supposed deadline.

I just don't get how the Spurs could go from not wanting to "give up the basketball IQ and ballhandling of Beno and Barry" to trying all out to get Maggette. Seeing as you went thru the same thinking, perhaps you can tell us where you went wrong.

Still not clear on what you're missing here. You still have this inalterable belief that the Spurs turned down an offer the Clippers would have taken. There's not much to substantiate that view. The Clippers wanted more AND the Spurs didn't want to give up their two guards. There's a reason why Bonner's name started getting mentioned, because they wanted to keep Udrih.

None of this is very hard to understand once you give up your tenacioiusly held belief that there was a deal on the board. Not to mention, after that, that Maggette is the savior to what ails this team, both in the short term and the long term.

remingtonbo2001
01-22-2007, 12:52 PM

What about Buck Harvey...Simply outta curiousity.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-22-2007, 01:04 PM
Reading Mr. Body's posts is like driving by a car wreck. You don't really want to look, but you just have to get a glimpse of the carnage. :lol at LJ dancing circles around you on this one.

MrChug
01-22-2007, 01:28 PM
I could actually imagine a Brent/Maggette deal being turned down. So a Beno/Barry for Maggette is a no-brainer for me.

Mr. Body
01-22-2007, 02:36 PM
Reading Mr. Body's posts is like driving by a car wreck. You don't really want to look, but you just have to get a glimpse of the carnage. :lol at LJ dancing circles around you on this one.

Funny, since he's wrong on this one. Figures you'd be sucking up to him, though, toady you are.

rascal
01-22-2007, 02:38 PM
Ludden said that the Spurs wouldn't do the Barry and Beno deal at first. Then the Spurs got desperate and offered the deal. By that time, the Clippers had started playing better and Beno was outed as not being an NBA caliber player. Now Maggette's price tag is higher.

Not too tough to figure out.

Timing is everything. Another swing and a miss by the spurs.

Marcus Bryant
01-22-2007, 07:48 PM
Likely the Spurs wanted to do the deal if Maggette would give up his player option for the last year of his deal. Of course Maggette didn't want to give up guaranteed money so the deal died.

And of course this is speculation, but if speculation isn't allowed in this forum then shut it down.

SenorSpur
01-22-2007, 09:46 PM
Likely the Spurs wanted to do the deal if Maggette would give up his player option for the last year of his deal. Of course Maggette didn't want to give up guaranteed money so the deal died.

And of course this is speculation, but if speculation isn't allowed in this forum then shut it down.

The Spurs shouldn't let that stop them. IF he doesn't work out, they could always ship his ass out of here. For now, we NEED this guy. I'd even suggest throwing in a 1st round draft pick, provided they send back a backup PG in return.

Marcus Bryant
01-22-2007, 09:47 PM
The Spurs shouldn't let that stop them. IF he doesn't work out, they could always ship his ass out of here. For now, we NEED this guy. I'd even suggest throwing in a 1st round draft pick, provided they send back a backup PG in return.

Unacceptable.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-22-2007, 10:08 PM
Body,

Do us all a favor:

http://members.aol.com/shobansen3/shutdown.jpg

:lol @ LJ being wrong because he disagrees with you.

As for me, kissing ass? Hardly. LJ and I have agreed plenty in the past. Just because there's a forum consensus that you're a moron doesn't mean anyone's sucking up to anyone.

ploto
01-22-2007, 10:20 PM
If Maggette's contract was up when Brent and Beno's are, then maybe the trade would have happened. But not with the third year.