PDA

View Full Version : Espn.com : Gasol Wants Trade

mFFL03
01-22-2007, 06:03 PM
This guy is a beast. If I didn't have Dirk on my team, the other white tall man I'd want is Pau Gasol. He looked f'ing awesome last year when Dallas played him. He has so much potential, but somehow isn't growing. I agree, time to get him out.....

Who would you be willing to trade spurs fans?

Straight up I'd be willing to trade Croshere, Anthony Johnson, Diop, and Stackhouse. For him and someone else. In terms of contracts and money...we would have to somehow trade away Terry instead of Stack....

I know you are going to call me crazy mavs fans, but I think what is needed is a dominant low post player. Dirk is getting better, but those are all lay ups and fingerrolls. I want a hook shotter and Dunker down there.

LOS ANGELES -- Given Pau Gasol's play and the feelers his agent, Arn Tellem, have lobbed around the NBA recently, the Memphis Grizzlies are suddenly forced to consider their future without someone they have deemed the franchise player.

Pau Gasol
Forward-Center
Memphis Grizzlies

2007 SEASON STATISTICS
GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%
19 19.3 7.0 2.5 .576 .771

Gasol made trade overtures before and after Mike Fratello was fired, according to team insiders. The Spaniard dodged the question when asked Sunday if he has demanded a trade at any point this season.

"I don't want to comment on that right now because I don't want it to be a distraction to me or the team," Gasol said. "It's not beneficial to anybody. Whatever happens is yet to be seen."

Reached Sunday while traveling, team president Jerry West acknowledged a reported conversation with the Chicago Bulls.

West characterized the discussion as cursory to reveal Gasol's availability on the trade market. Bulls general manager John Paxson, however, never mentioned players that he would offer for Gasol.

"The conversation was brief," West said. "But we're not giving him away. This franchise won't give him away. Period."

Gasol, who has four years and more than $60 million left on a maximum contract, is one of the few skilled post players in the league. Still, a Gasol deal with the Bulls could be consummated if they were willing to part with guard Ben Gordon and forward Luol Deng.

Even Grizzlies majority owner Michael Heisley softened his past stance on keeping Gasol, saying he seconded West's sentiment.

Gasol, like anyone on the roster, can be had at the right price.

"If we trade Pau we're looking to substantially improve the team for the future or we would be looking to get more picks in this draft," Heisley said. "If we can improve the team, we would trade Pau. But there's a difference when you've made up your mind like with Jason Williams and Bonzi Wells. Pau Gasol is not available in that sense. I don't make trades. But if Jerry came to me with a trade that would improve this team, Pau will be traded. Jerry is always exploring possibilities."

Heisley also had this message for potential suitors.

"If you think Pau is on a fire sale list, you're crazy," Heisley said. "I like the young man a lot. There's no question he's the only franchise-type player we've got. ... Whether you trade Pau or not depends on what's brought to you."

Privately, the organization is growing dissatisfied with the effort Gasol has brought to work. The perception is that Gasol's lackadaisical defensive and rebounding performances coupled with inconsistent offense are by design to emphasize his desire for a trade.

Asked his thoughts on the team's direction, Gasol sounded concerned.

"I don't really know the direction of the franchise," he said before adding that he ultimately wants to play for a winner.

"Everybody wants that," Gasol said. "Personally, to me, it's really important to be in that situation and have a chance to grow."

confined
01-22-2007, 10:36 PM
i say go for him....but i doubt the griz would make an in-conference trade...this woudl guarentee them oden tho...

JMarkJohns
01-23-2007, 12:37 AM
They aren't trading him to Dallas for crap. Sure a few expiring contracts, but no picks and no talent.

Phoenix can offer relatively soon CAP relief in the form of Kurt Thomas, A nice guard like Banks and then the Atlanta Hawks pick of this or next year's draft, if not another two or three lesser 1st rounders in the next few drafts. No immediate talent, but they get CAP relief (8+ million after next season), a project guard with potential (Banks) and several picks including a potential top-5 in this year's draft.

They could possibly land Oden or Durant, then add another big like Wright or Noah or Arthur. That's big-time right there!

Make it happen!

E20
01-23-2007, 01:13 AM
Bring him on down!!!1

johnpaulwall21
01-23-2007, 01:15 AM
I would rather have j. o'neal, but i wouldnt kick him off the team either

timvp
01-23-2007, 01:43 AM
If I'm Memphis, I try to get Tyrus Thomas and Luol Deng plus draft picks for Gasol. Gasol is one of the few bigman in the league who can be considered a championship caliber bigman.

Gasol + Stoudamire = Deng + Thomas + Sefalosha + PJ Brown + 1st rounder from Knicks.

If I'm the Bulls, I might consider doing the trade. You have Ben Wallace, so the window of opportunity isn't that wide. You put Gasol next to him and you finally have a go-to player on the team.

C Wallace
PF Gasol
SF Nocioni
SG Gordon
PG Hinrich

You lose a lot of talent, but the chances of coming out of the East go way up. And Memphis would get nice rebuilding pieces plus they get rid of a bad contract.

:smokin

johnpaulwall21
01-23-2007, 01:48 AM
I would rather have toys r us and deng