PDA

View Full Version : Texas A&M @ Texas Tech

johngateswhiteley
01-22-2007, 11:46 PM
Venue: United Spirit Arena
Time: 6pm MT
Line: ?

thoughts: tekk coming off a big win over kansas, possibility of a letdown...but i expect Knight to have his boys ready to play. i think its a close game and A&M does a good job of limiting Jackson.

prediction: A&M is superior on offense and defense: A&M 71 tekk 64

beachbarbie948
01-23-2007, 01:41 AM
Ah, I really really hope A&M beats Tech.
Kansas and A&M losing to Tech in the same week would just suck.

johngateswhiteley
01-23-2007, 02:30 AM
Ah, I really really hope A&M beats Tech.
Kansas and A&M losing to Tech in the same week would just suck.

losing to tekk....would be one of the most irritating things that could happen this year. i really really hate those fucking douche bags.

Jimcs50
01-23-2007, 09:49 AM
We swept them last year, they are better, we are better, but I see another sweep this year.

Aggies 75

Red Raiders 67

RonMexico
01-23-2007, 10:09 AM
The game is supposedly broadcast on the Tx Tech TV network or something according to aggieathletics, so the real question is: where/how do we get to see this game?

I don't see any local coverage in Houston - you guys think a bar might be the only chance?

Link: http://www.aggieathletics.com/index2.php?SID=GEN&pageID=1475

MajorMike
01-23-2007, 10:24 AM
ttek has always been the skitzo of the conf. Beat KU but lose to BU. Beat uo but lose to CU. You never know what you are going to get from them. I think they are twice as good in their house, tho. You have to say that atm is the better team, but I think you would have to say that KU was the better team as well. KU flusters alot more than atm, tho. ttek does not rebound well at all, nor do they share the ball or ave a good FG% defense. atm leads them in just about every possible relevant statistical category, but you just can never tell with ttek.

SrA Husker
01-23-2007, 11:37 AM
I think KU and Tech both play to their competition...the problem over the weekend was KU was seen as what they aren't (a Final 4 team) and Tech was not seen as what they are (a threat at home). Tech played up to their competition, KU played down to it, and Tech ended up winning.

FromWayDowntown
01-23-2007, 12:41 PM
I'd be surprised if Tech was close at the end of this one. The Aggies are a legitimate Sweet 16 team and a borderline Elite 8 team. Tech will be fortunate to make the field of 64, though they're a strong #25 in the RPI right now. Beating KU got Tech a step closer to making the field; beating A&M would do even more. I just can't see how Tech has the horses to consistently beat teams in the A&M/Kansas/Oklahoma State range, though.

Willinsa
01-23-2007, 12:57 PM
I think Tech will be pumped for this game, I expect a close game.

Jimcs50
01-23-2007, 01:43 PM
I'd be surprised if Tech was close at the end of this one. The Aggies are a legitimate Sweet 16 team and a borderline Elite 8 team. Tech will be fortunate to make the field of 64, though they're a strong #25 in the RPI right now. Beating KU got Tech a step closer to making the field; beating A&M would do even more. I just can't see how Tech has the horses to consistently beat teams in the A&M/Kansas/Oklahoma State range, though.

they have 2 players that can play great....I do not see them winning, but on the road in conference games, any team can win at home...so I give it a tossup

johngateswhiteley
01-23-2007, 03:30 PM
Tech will be fortunate to make the field of 64, though they're a strong #25 in the RPI right now.

...don't tell Capt. Miserable that, he'll say tekk should be a 6-10 seed. don't you now RPI is all that matters?

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-23-2007, 03:30 PM
You have to say that atm is the better team, but I think you would have to say that KU was the better team as well.

The problem for Kansas is they are undisciplined defensively, which plays right into the hands of Knight's offense.

Billy has had a good handle on Knight since he got to A&M, I look for it to continue tomorrow night (though the fans will be sky high for that game, they hate A&M :lol ).

MajorMike
01-23-2007, 03:45 PM
...don't tell Capt. Miserable that, he'll say tekk should be a 6-10 seed. don't you now RPI is all that matters?

This is going into my saved quote file as well.

johngateswhiteley
01-23-2007, 03:56 PM
This is going into my saved quote file as well.

...love how you cherry pick, btw. if you actually want to know what i think...? i'd say tekk is an 8-9 seed right now, so i don't know what quoting me will accomplish...unless you want to prove i was right. but they are not a 4-6 seed which is what their RPI would suggest, depending on which RPI you follow.

MajorMike
01-23-2007, 04:04 PM
You think too much of yourself. I hope you aren't ignorant enought to think I believe that because ttek is #25 today that they will be #25 at the end of the season, or that the ranking they have today will relate to what seeding they get at the end of the year, because you certainly imply it. Of course, it is how you make your arguements most times, by skewing the truth.

FromWayDowntown
01-23-2007, 04:08 PM

Well, if things stay like they are, Tech will get in, but will be an 11 seed, which isn't too far off of that prediction. Most of the lower-end at large teams are no worse than an 11 seed.

johngateswhiteley
01-23-2007, 04:11 PM
You think too much of yourself. I hope you aren't ignorant enought to think I believe that because ttek is #25 today that they will be #25 at the end of the season, or that the ranking they have today will relate to what seeding they get at the end of the year, because you certainly imply it. Of course, it is how you make your arguements most times, by skewing the truth.

wow, you really are a douche bag. all you talk about is how much the NCAA looks at the RPI...and if tekk still has #6 A&M twice, t.u. twice, oklahoma, #16 oklahomo state twice, etc...don't you think their RPI will remain relatively high? i am saying their seed won't reflect their RPI, b/c it shouldn't...at least not at this point. but you always say seeds do...do you not?

MajorMike
01-23-2007, 04:17 PM
Wow you completely screwed that up... again. You DO realize that even if they played #1-2-3-4-5 5 weeks in a row and lost all 5 that their RPI is going to fall.... correct? I have a white board in my office, you can stop by and I can draw it out for you in a flow chart if you want.

johngateswhiteley
01-23-2007, 04:22 PM
Wow you completely screwed that up... again. You DO realize that even if they played #1-2-3-4-5 5 weeks in a row and lost all 5 that their RPI is going to fall.... correct? I have a white board in my office, you can stop by and I can draw it out for you in a flow chart if you want.

...just how oklahomo state's RPI fell after getting ass raped by A&M and Kansas?

johngateswhiteley
01-23-2007, 04:42 PM
Capt. No-Go,
...lets see here. kansas lost = RPI went up, oklahomo state lost = RPI went up, Nevada lost = RPI went up, etc, etc.

point being, tekk may lose, but they won't lose them all. obviously, unless they fall apart completely....their RPI should be pretty good by year end.

MajorMike
01-23-2007, 04:43 PM
If we would have lost to UT and uo as well, it would have. Plus, we were #7 before and now we are #14. That's a fall. Do you even read what you flame? Why do you even bring up an agruement that isn't relative and constantly makes you look like a babbling idiot and then get upset because someone rebukes you? Once agin, you have completely trashed another thread by your infantile attempts to make yourself look cool while demeaning someone else. I had nothing but good to say about your precious atm in this thread and you still had to show your ass and look like the ADD 12-year old mentaility you continually project. Good on you. Dio was right about you; you HAVE to be a girl because you act like a man hater.

johngateswhiteley
01-23-2007, 04:45 PM
If we would have lost to UT and uo as well, it would have. Plus, we were #7 before and now we are #14. That's a fall. Do you even read what you flame? Why do you even bring up an agruement that isn't relative and constantly makes you look like a babbling idiot and then get upset because someone rebukes you? Once agin, you have completely trashed another thread by your infantile attempts to make yourself look cool while demeaning someone else. I had nothing but good to say about your precious atm in this thread and you still had to show your ass and look like the ADD 12-year old mentaility you continually project. Good on you. Dio was right about you; you HAVE to be a girl because you act like a man hater.

...look at my previous post douche bag. btw:

1. did i say tekk would lose them all
2. falling to 13 is not much of a fall, my point is still valid. plus, your previous was 16, not 7, douche bag

Jimcs50
01-23-2007, 05:28 PM

You are 13, not 14...get your facts straight.

FromWayDowntown
01-23-2007, 05:51 PM
A big part of the RPI is strength of schedule (coupled with the results of those games) and a consideration of where the games were played. Tech was going to (likely) go up during this stretch of the season because they're playing good teams who will elevate the SOS and offset the reductions that losses would bring. That they beat KU will keep their RPI pretty high for a good while. If they beat A&M, that will only inflate the RPI. Tech's SOS is #14 right now. That will actually stay pretty consistent from here on out, particularly because Tech has 12 games left and 6 of those are against OSU, A&M, and Texas. If they're respectable in those games and can win 4 of the other 6, the RPI number should stay fairly high.

I don't think anyone could argue that RPI is the end-all/be-all of who makes the field and who doesn't, at season's end. But it is certainly a useful tool for making some comparisons among teams. Tech likely won't be in the Top 25 in the RPI come season's end, but if they're in the Top 40, they'll get a look.

As it is, Tech's losses (other than Baylor) to this point aren't particularly bad, particularly in RPI terms: Air Force (#8) on a neutral court; UNLV (#20) in Lubbock; Marquette (#26) on a neutral court; and Stanford (#39) at Palo Alto. Tech also has 2 wins over top-30 RPI teams (Arkansas (on the road) and Kansas). Their profile is good -- not great -- but good.

Clearly, Tech isn't as good over the long haul as A&M, OSU, Kansas, or Texas. But if they can be the 5th or 6th best team in the Big XII by season's end and they win a game in the tournament, the RPI number will be a good one.

FromWayDowntown
01-23-2007, 05:51 PM
You are 13, not 14...get your facts straight.

ESPN's daily RPI has OSU as #9 today.

johngateswhiteley
01-23-2007, 06:07 PM
A big part of the RPI is strength of schedule (coupled with the results of those games) and a consideration of where the games were played. Tech was going to likely go up during this stretch of the season because they're playing good teams who will elevate the SOS and offset the reductions that losses would bring. That they beat KU will keep their RPI pretty high for a good while. If they beat A&M, that will only inflate the RPI. Tech's SOS is #14 right now. That will actually stay pretty consistent from here on out, particularly because Tech has 12 games left and 6 of those are against OSU, A&M, and Texas. If they're respectable in those games and can win 4 of the other 6, the RPI number should stay fairly high.

I don't think anyone could argue that RPI is the end-all/be-all of who makes the field and who doesn't, at season's end. But it is certainly a useful tool for making some comparisons among teams. Tech likely won't be in the Top 25 in the RPI come season's end, but if they're in the Top 40, they'll get a look.

As it is, Tech's losses (other than Baylor) to this point aren't particularly bad, particularly in RPI terms: Air Force (#8) on a neutral court; UNLV (#20) in Lubbock; Marquette (#26) on a neutral court; and Stanford (#39) at Palo Alto. Tech also has 2 wins over top-30 RPI teams (Arkansas (on the road) and Kansas). Their profile is good -- not great -- but good.

Clearly, Tech isn't as good over the long haul as A&M, OSU, Kansas, or Texas. But if they can be the 5th or 6th best team in the Big XII by season's end and they win a game in the tournament, the RPI number will be a good one.

no kidding.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-23-2007, 06:38 PM
Capt Mike's problem is he thinks the NCAA takes the RPI and that's how they rank the teams.

The RPI is but one component, but like I said - when your team is getting owned like OSU is by everyone good, it's all you have to hang your hat on.

MajorMike
01-23-2007, 07:10 PM
A big part of the RPI is strength of schedule (coupled with the results of those games) and a consideration of where the games were played. Tech was going to (likely) go up during this stretch of the season because they're playing good teams who will elevate the SOS and offset the reductions that losses would bring. That they beat KU will keep their RPI pretty high for a good while. If they beat A&M, that will only inflate the RPI. Tech's SOS is #14 right now. That will actually stay pretty consistent from here on out, particularly because Tech has 12 games left and 6 of those are against OSU, A&M, and Texas. If they're respectable in those games and can win 4 of the other 6, the RPI number should stay fairly high.

Actually I don't know why jgw is quoting you. This is exactly what I keep saying. He just likes to add his own spin and create lies. I never said ttek would be a top 25 team. I never said they would be a 4 seed. I never said they were a lock for the dance (which they just about are, however). He just likes to keep making it seem like I did, tho.

I also never said RPI is the only thing the NCAA uses to determine who gets in. I will tell you that RPI is actually on the NCAA website (do a google) under how the teams get selected, not any poll incidentally, and they acknowledge they use the formula in seeding, but I'm sure jgw will spin that and say that I said something else. If RPI was not so important, everyone and their dog would not use it and refer to it and the NCAA sure wouldn't give it the time of day on their official site.

I have also never said that any team that has an RPI today will still have that RPI and should get the seed they have now which corresponds to RPI, altho jgw has tried to make it seem that way in posts about Zona and ttek.

In short... RPI would never have been brought into this thread if it weren't for jgw, so thank him not me.

Doug Collins
01-23-2007, 10:22 PM
I have also never said that any team that has an RPI today will still have that RPI and should get the seed they have now which corresponds to RPI, altho jgw has tried to make it seem that way in posts about Zona and ttek.

In short... RPI would never have been brought into this thread if it weren't for jgw, so thank him not me.

In short...RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI.

johngateswhiteley
01-23-2007, 11:14 PM
In short...RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI.

:lol

MajorMike
01-24-2007, 02:29 PM
Back to the actual suject of the thread - atm is a 2.5 fave.

Doug Collins
01-24-2007, 02:58 PM

RPI?

Jimcs50
01-24-2007, 03:09 PM

no tv either

:depressed

johngateswhiteley
01-24-2007, 03:50 PM
...i'm feeling strong about this game today, almost positive A&M wins. i would love to blow out these guys in their building.

Doug Collins
01-24-2007, 04:02 PM
no tv either

:depressed

It's on ESPN Fullcourt so I'm sure any sports bar will have it, like Fox and Hound or BWW in college station. I'm gonna slingbox the broadcast from Houston :elephant

johngateswhiteley
01-24-2007, 04:08 PM
i just bought it for $5.95 on cstv.com. hopefully, the stream is decent quality...

johngateswhiteley
01-24-2007, 07:13 PM
...45 minutes to game time.

johngateswhiteley
01-24-2007, 07:59 PM
gametime!!!

johngateswhiteley
01-24-2007, 08:02 PM
...i'm streaming it baby!!! not bad, but small.

johngateswhiteley
01-24-2007, 08:14 PM
Law with 2 fouls already....again! this is fucking crazy.

johngateswhiteley
01-24-2007, 08:54 PM
a good job by the Aggs, weathered the storm and able to tie it up at halftime.

johngateswhiteley
01-24-2007, 09:45 PM
close game...tekk killing us with their 3 point shooting.

beachbarbie948
01-24-2007, 09:47 PM
This game is way too close for comfort.

johngateswhiteley
01-24-2007, 09:51 PM
This game is way too close for comfort.

yep, tekk is pulling their usual scrappy play against the Aggs. hopefully, we can close this one out.

johngateswhiteley
01-24-2007, 10:05 PM
here is the game...

johngateswhiteley
01-24-2007, 10:14 PM
i fucking hate tekk....fuck those assholes.

beachbarbie948
01-24-2007, 10:15 PM
fuck. this sucks. so i'm gonna hear about this for the next 50 years about how tech beat a&m AND kansas in the same week.

LaMarcus Bryant
01-24-2007, 10:16 PM
Who gives a shit? Give credit where credit is due--thats an impressive feat. The Tech crowd made that bitch jones choke like a fuckin sooner out there.

If my team beat KU and A&M in the same week I'd make another chode bload thread.

SrA Husker
01-24-2007, 10:19 PM
did they rush the court again?

johngateswhiteley
01-24-2007, 10:42 PM
did they rush the court again?

who knows...but this game makes me want to throw up. we had no business losing to this fucking team. it amazes me, after tekk beat kansas that A&M would not come in with more energy and put this fucking team where they deserve.

...i am going to lift weights. fuck tekk.

Willinsa
01-24-2007, 10:52 PM
I don't get it, aggy fans all bent out of shape because they lost. Jeez get over the fucking fact that you lost.

RonMexico
01-24-2007, 11:30 PM
Rpi :(

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-24-2007, 11:35 PM
Eh, I had a feeling this would happen. I figured we'd lose some roadies somewhere in the trips to Lubbock, Stillwater, Lawrence, and Austin.

Get two of the four and take care of business at home and we still win the league.

Come back, regroup, and beat OU on Saturday.

LaMarcus Bryant
01-24-2007, 11:45 PM
All of these teams, they suck--it's true. But none suck more than OU.

johngateswhiteley
01-24-2007, 11:52 PM
I don't get it, aggy fans all bent out of shape because they lost. Jeez get over the fucking fact that you lost.

...gee i don't know why any top 10 teams fans would be upset they lost. are you for real? go play in the club forum.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-25-2007, 12:22 AM
JGW, dude, chill out. Seriously.

LaMarcus Bryant
01-25-2007, 12:39 AM
LoLL

Willinsa
01-25-2007, 01:03 AM
JGW is such a fucking dumbass, you think this loss is the end of the world. That's why I laugh at you.

johngateswhiteley
01-25-2007, 01:27 AM
JGW is such a fucking dumbass, you think this loss is the end of the world. That's why I laugh at you.

1. i don't think its the end of the world
2. i am upset
3. the loss is highly disappointing
4. A&M can't afford letdowns like this and win the big 12

...A&M knew tekk beat kansas coming into the game, there is no reason not to be ready for these annoying shits. if they hadn't beaten kansas, then that would be one thing, but they had.

i am a dumb ass b/c my team lost and i am upset? i'm not the one going into other threads and asking people why they are upset their team lost. and, again, i'm the dumbass?

FromWayDowntown
01-25-2007, 01:37 AM
I'm not sure I understand the insistence in referring to the state university in Lubbock as tekk. Is that supposed to be funny? insulting? Remarkably, it's neither -- it's pretty much just juvenile and annoying.

With that said, JGW, you act as though Texas Tech has no business beating the upper echelon teams in the Big XII. That's a patently ridiculous thought.

It's not a bad loss for the Aggies, and you're delusional if you ever thought that team was going to rip through the Big XII without a few hickeys along the way, particularly on the road.

johngateswhiteley
01-25-2007, 02:28 AM
I'm not sure I understand the insistence in referring to the state university in Lubbock as tekk. Is that supposed to be funny? insulting? Remarkably, it's neither -- it's pretty much just juvenile and annoying.

With that said, JGW, you act as though Texas Tech has no business beating the upper echelon teams in the Big XII. That's a patently ridiculous thought.

It's not a bad loss for the Aggies, and you're delusional if you ever thought that team was going to rip through the Big XII without a few hickeys along the way, particularly on the road.

1. why? cause tekk is a below average university with below average fans

2. rather A&M has business losing to tekk, they played poorly for too many stretches

3. i know you said 'if', so i'll say...i didn't think A&M would rip through the big 12 without some losses. though, i didn't think tekk would be one

4. losing to tekk sucks more than losing to anyone other than t.u. (sometimes it feels worse)...their fans suck and they are obnoxious

MajorMike
01-25-2007, 08:21 AM
All of these teams, they suck--it's true. But none suck more than OU.

I like your logic.

MajorMike
01-25-2007, 08:26 AM
1. why? cause tekk is a below average university with below average fans

I don't know why you have to so get presonal when you feel befronted.

I, as well, can obsolutely not stand ttek. I, as well, completely agree that hey have an extremely obnoxious fan base. However, to say they are below average is untrue. They easily, year in and year out, are just behind Phogg and GIA and are in the same league as The Hilton when it comes to rowdy arenas. I would count Mizzou in that same field if you discount the past 10 years.

Ballcox
01-25-2007, 12:19 PM
Tech is always tough to play on their home court, even before Knight got there. One thing that also goes along with being a highly ranked team is that other teams REALLY look forward to playing and trying to beat you. Welcome to the club a&m fans, it's been a while since you've been here but it's good to see you back! :lol

MajorMike
01-25-2007, 12:23 PM
Another factor to be aware of is the 'we are playing one of the big dogs' factor. This applies for the game @ neb, for example. They bat the ball around with ISU/CU/KSU/Mizzou yearly for 3-6 in the North. They've got not much else to play for at that point. But all of a sudden, a good team we don't see often comes to town and we have something new to play for. Plus any away game is no gimme in the B12. With UT and ttek going to atm, don't assume you will win all your home games, either.

I don't expect atm to fall on their face by any means, but they need to show that they can win and finish as a fave. To be honest... they snuck up on alot of teams last year. This year, everyone knows who they are when they come to town.

tlongII
01-25-2007, 01:38 PM
Isn't Texas Tech currently tied for the lead in the Big-12? Isn't Bobby Knight their head coach? Given these facts I would think any team would have their work cut out for them when playing at Lubbock.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-25-2007, 08:38 PM
A&M can't afford letdowns like this and win the big 12

If they take care of home court and drop no more than two road games, they win the regular season title. And honestly, it's not that important to win the regular season title as it is to avoid bad losses that hurt seeding in the tourney.

I don't expect atm to fall on their face by any means, but they need to show that they can win and finish as a fave. To be honest... they snuck up on alot of teams last year. This year, everyone knows who they are when they come to town.

Hmmm, so did they sneak up on OSU last weekend?