Johnny_Blaze_47
01-23-2007, 03:12 AM
Thank you, Flying Spaghetti Monster!

---------

Fox affiliate going HD on Time Warner

Web Posted: 01/22/2007 08:16 PM CST

Sanford Nowlin
Express-News Business Writer

Soon, Fox affiliate KABB-29 will no longer be the only major network on Time Warner's San Antonio cable system without a high-definition signal.

The city's dominant cable provider Friday agreed to carry the high-definition signals of Sinclair Broadcasting Group Inc.'s KABB and KMYS-35, local affiliate for fledgling MyNetwork.

Neither company would discuss terms of the three-year deal, which also includes 20 Sinclair stations in 34 other markets.

"The agreement allows us to provide our customers with all of Sinclair's high-definition signals available within areas served by Time Warner's systems," Time Warner spokeswoman Maureen Huff said.

However, she added, "We don't have a specific launch date for San Antonio yet."

KABB already provides high-definition broadcast signals to Time Warner competitors such as AT&T Inc.'s U-verse, meaning Time Warner probably could begin carrying the signal in a matter of days.

Time Warner's agreement with Baltimore-based Sinclair ends a months-long impasse between the companies over how much the cable carrier should pay for Fox's high-definition signals. The network carries highly rated shows, including "24" and "American Idol," as well as NFL playoff games.

Sinclair demanded Time Warner pay for its digital signal, something other broadcasters have largely provided for free to cable companies that carry their network stations. Time Warner — which serves 360,000 San Antonio cable customers — balked at the additional payments, saying Sinclair was pricing itself out of the market.

Sinclair officials were unavailable for comment Monday, but issued a brief news release saying the deal includes a "mutually acceptable economic agreement between the parties."

While high-definition channels carry the same programming as their network affiliates, the lack of a Fox high-definition signal has been frustrating for local viewers who spent hundreds, or sometimes thousands of dollars, to upgrade their TV sets to handle crisper, sharper HD signals. There are now more than 30 million high-definition TVs in the United States.

"If your (cable system) isn't able to offer content in high definition, that TV has lost its purpose," said Zippy Aima, digital media analyst for Frost & Sullivan in San Antonio.

Among Time Warner markets, San Antonio is second only to New York in percentage of customers who take HD channels. Interesting.

Time Warner customer Dan Smith said he and his wife mulled a switch to direct broadcast satellite like EchoStar's Dish Network because Fox was unavailable in high definition. Now, he said, he's unlikely to make such a move.

While Time Warner has settled its disagreement with Sinclair, the company still has no agreement to carry the NFL Network.

The company last year engaged in a public dust-up with the NFL over the price the league was demanding for its fledgling network. The cable carrier said it was unwilling to pay the $137 million price tag because it didn't want to pass on the expense to its customers.

Such conflicts between cable systems and networks are becoming more commonplace, experts said. Once virtual monopolies, cable carriers now must balance rising programming costs with pressure from satellite providers and phone companies like San Antonio-based AT&T to keep prices down.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/stories/MYSA012307.01E.TimeWarnerdeal.12257e7.html

Trainwreck2100
01-23-2007, 03:16 AM
The city's dominant cable provider Friday agreed to carry the high-definition signals of Sinclair Broadcasting Group Inc.'s KABB and KMYS-35, local affiliate for fledgling MyNetwork.

does fledgling mean complete and utter crap???

johngateswhiteley
01-23-2007, 03:17 AM
...thats cool. i wish i had Fox HD in Montana, but i do have NFL network. maybe soon.

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-23-2007, 03:18 AM
The press release:

--------

Sinclair Announces Analog and Digital Carraige Agreement with Time Warner Cable

News Release

(410) 568-1500

Sinclair Announces Analog and Digital Carraige Agreement with Time Warner
Cable

BALTIMORE (January 22, 2007) - Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc. (Nasdaq:
SBGI) is pleased to announce that it has entered into a retransmission
consent agreement with Time Warner Cable, the largest cable system
servicing Sinclair's markets. The agreement, which expires December 31,
2009, allows Time Warner to carry the analog and digital signals of 35
television stations owned and/or operated by Sinclair in 22 markets to
approximately six million of Time Warner's subscribers, many of whom
receive two stations owned and/or operated by Sinclair.

"Sinclair is very pleased to have reached this agreement with Time
Warner, which carries our stations to more subscribers than any other cable
company," commented David Smith, CEO and President of Sinclair. "We are
excited that this agreement not only ensures retransmission of our signals
by Time Warner for the next three years, but also provides for the carriage
of our digital signals for the first time to most of Time Warner's
subscribers. This agreement, which represents a mutually acceptable
economic agreement between the parties, is further indication of the value
of our television stations to cable companies and provides a strong
illustration of the successful operation of the free market for negotiation
of retransmission consent agreements. "

Today's agreement includes the following stations and markets:

Birmingham, AL: WABM/WTTO
Buffalo, NY: WNYO/ WUTV
Cape Girardeau, MO/Paducah, KY: WDKA/KBSI
Charleston, SC: WMMP/WTAT
Charleston, WV: WCHS/WVAH
Cincinnati, OH: WSTR
Columbus, OH: WSYX/WTTE
Dayton, OH: WKEF/WRGT
Greensboro/High Point/Winston Salem, NC: WMYV/WXLV
Lexington, KY: WDKY
Norfolk, VA: WTVZ
Milwaukee, WI: WCGV/WVTV
Pensacola, FL/Mobile, AL: WEAR
Pittsburgh. PA: WPGH/WPMY
Portland, ME: WGME
Raleigh, NC: WLFL/WRDC
Rochester, NY: WUHF
San Antonio, TX: KABB/KMYS
Springfield. MA: WGGB
Syracuse, NY: WNYS/WSYT
Tallahassee, FL: WTWC
Tampa, FL: WTTA

The agreement also provides for the carriage of Sinclair's MyNetwork
TV affiliates in Columbus, Ohio and Dayton, Ohio, both of which are
transmitted as digital multicast stations.

Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc., one of the largest and most diversified
television broadcasting companies, currently owns and operates, programs or
provides sales services to 58 television stations in 36 markets.
Sinclair's television group reaches approximately 22% of the U.S.
television households and is affiliated with all the major networks.

Trainwreck2100
01-23-2007, 03:20 AM
I can't see a majority of the shows I used to watch cause those idiots at sinclair balked on the cw. But hey at least they made their decision in time of the NFL playoffs :rolleyes

johngateswhiteley
01-23-2007, 03:21 AM
I can't see a majority of the shows I used to watch cause those idiots at sinclair balked on the cw. But hey at least they made their decision in time of the NFL playoffs :rolleyes

no kidding right!

ZStomp
01-23-2007, 03:23 AM
That's sweet.

MannyIsGod
01-23-2007, 05:05 AM
I was reading the San Antonio HD thread over at the AVS Forum when I read this. I'm pretty excited. Apparently they think that it shouldn't take more than a few days to get it setup. Wooo!

MannyIsGod
01-23-2007, 05:05 AM
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=9553273#post9553273

01Snake
01-23-2007, 08:09 AM
Sweet!

scott
01-23-2007, 08:30 AM
About fucking time, considering I've been pestering Time Warner about this for 2 years.

maxpower
01-23-2007, 08:37 AM
it's funny that Time warner doesn't want to pay for a service they charge customers for...

rayray2k8
01-23-2007, 02:20 PM
Great....
They add the fucking channel right after the playoffs. :cuss

ShoogarBear
01-23-2007, 02:21 PM
Elitists.

Nbadan
01-23-2007, 07:44 PM
great. now sinclaire can refuse to run programs in HD it's MAN doesn't agree with.

ZStomp
01-30-2007, 07:46 PM
FOX HD is on ready.... I can't find KMYS though.

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-30-2007, 07:54 PM
BTW, Channel 111.