PDA

View Full Version : RPI Needs to Go...Jay Bilas (Insider)

johngateswhiteley
01-24-2007, 04:39 AM
...CaptMike, somewhere, is crying like a baby.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=bilas_jay#20070123

RPI, SchmarPI
While I am getting my undies in a bunch about scouting, let me let loose on the RPI: I think it needs to go.

I know it is just a "blunt instrument and not a precision tool" and it is just a "general indicator of relative strength," but it has taken on a bizarre life of its own, and it is not good enough. First, the game deserves a precision tool, and we can do better than the RPI. Second, a "general indicator of relative strength" is a general indicator of which teams are better. Third, the RPI is used as an "organizational tool." Well, I think it would be difficult to "organize" the top teams in your mind much differently than the RPI presents them.

I really respect the committee that selects the teams for the NCAA Tournament. It is a tough job, and it is largely misunderstood. The difficulty of the job is in making the final few selections and, at the same time, seeding and bracketing the tournament in a short period of time. Annually, there are 34 available spots for selection into the field, and 31 spots that are taken by conference champions (automatic bids). Of those 34 at-large spots, there are really only a few up for grabs entering Selection Sunday, and usually only a half-dozen teams in the running. The final few selections, while arguable at times, really are not that controversial.

It is time for a replacement to the RPI. Those numbers affect perceptions, especially for the public, and the RPI affects scheduling. A team's RPI numbers can be bumped higher not by playing really good teams, but by avoiding playing really weak ones. If you avoid teams ranked in the bottom half of Division I, you will see a significant jump in your RPI. When Florida is ranked in the 30s of the RPI, Air Force is ranked eighth, and Winthrop is ranked in the 80s, something is wrong. We have a lot of smart people in the game. Let's put our heads together and come up with something better.

MajorMike
01-24-2007, 08:23 AM
You DO realize that this is the same Jay Bilas that has constantly been on atm's case saying they are overrated, correct? That has been atm fan's bitch all year on E$PN.com is that Jay was dogging them.

Perhaps you should check your sources before quoting them next time.

johngateswhiteley
01-24-2007, 03:19 PM
You DO realize that this is the same Jay Bilas that has constantly been on atm's case saying they are overrated, correct? That has been atm fan's bitch all year on E$PN.com is that Jay was dogging them.

...Bilas didn't have us in his top 16 for a while, yes, i know. but why would i care? that doesn't mean he isn't right about getting rid of the RPI...that is what this thread is about, not whether we agree on A&M's ranking....you really are a douche bag.

MajorMike
01-24-2007, 05:47 PM
This thread is about whatever I make it about, just as you like to make whatever thread you feel like about RPI.

So I see now that you are a weak kneed ninny and will agree with whomever you please as long as it serves your current purpose.

The quote is actually about his informed opinon, and if you take his idea for law, your lack of one.

johngateswhiteley
01-24-2007, 05:55 PM
This thread is about whatever I make it about, just as you like to make whatever thread you feel like about RPI.

So I see now that you are a weak kneed ninny and will agree with whomever you please as long as it serves your current purpose.

The quote is actually about his informed opinon, and if you take his idea for law, your lack of one.

you really are a dumbshit. of course, i am going to have my own opinions...on anything. however, this thread is about why the RPI needs to go...and it does. it is very easy and simple, to agree with someone on one thing, and not, on another.

imo,

1. is florida under ranked in the RPI = yes
2. is oklahoma state overrated in the RPI and Polls = yes

and like i said, this is about the RPI going away....kind of like you, you should go away.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-24-2007, 07:44 PM

People have been pointing out the same problems he mentions in the RPI for years.

He's just regurgitating the common complaints. He's still a douche (I think you and him may be related...) but his points have already been brought up by people a lot smarter than him.