View Full Version : E.J. sums up Suns vs. Mavs

da_suns_fan__
01-24-2007, 01:33 PM
http://www.hoopshype.com/columns/suns2_johnson.htm

Phoenix just better than Dallas
by Eddie Johnson / January 24, 2007

THE AUTHOR:
EDDIE JOHNSON

I know even before I write this article that I will be accused as being a homer. I can just imagine the type of e-mails I will get from Mavericks fans about my honesty because I happen to broadcast for the Suns – in my estimation, the best team in the NBA and the most exciting squad I have ever seen. Phoenix is indeed the best team in the league, although the Mavericks have beaten them twice this year. I will go on the record and say the Suns will beat them handily when they meet in the Conference Finals in May and here is why... But again, before I start Maverick fan, hear me out!

I have never been accused of being a great defender, but yet I carved out a 17-year career. I heard a story Larry Bird once told at a camp about the importance of great offense. He said, "Take a look at that gentleman standing underneath the basket on the other end of the floor. He was one of the best defenders I have ever seen play basketball. But guess what? He never played a minute in the NBA. Now let’s talk about shooting and scoring the basketball."

My message to all these gurus of how to win a championship: You need to settle down and stop looking at what the Pistons of the 80s and what the great Bulls did on the defensive end and take notice of what they did on the offensive end of the court.

Offense creates good defense, not the other way around. Detroit and Chicago controlled the tempo with the way they balanced the floor offensively. They always knew where the shot was coming from and because of that, they had a balanced floor. So when they retreated defensively, they were not vulnerable to a fast break or high-percentage shots.

The great Lakers and Celtics championship teams led by Bird and Magic Johnson were exactly the same. But they were uptempo like the Phoenix Suns are today. They ran with a purpose and had assignments based on the position they were in on a fast break – which enabled them to keep a balanced floor.

So when I hear that the Suns can’t win with their style of play, I say go ask Larry Bird and Magic Johnson if that is true. I say that because they know the secret to fast-break success.

Here it is!

You must first have a point guard who is a born leader and a threat to score 20-plus points and add 8 to 12 assists every night. But most importantly, you must have a frontcourt player with similar skills. This allows continuation and flow of the break – especially when the fast break moves to the secondary stage. You see most breaks fizzle out after the first thrust, but those Lakers and Celtics teams hit you hard on the secondary movement of the break.

That’s the secret to the success of the break and that is why teams might want to play like the Suns, but they can’t because selfishness creeps into their game – thus surprising teammates and creating an unbalanced floor for defensive breakdowns on the other end.

One important note is that the point guard does not have to be a speed demon. Dennis Johnson is my first example.

Johnson played point guard for the Celtics and most players could outrun him not going at full speed. But he and Bird gave Boston two passers that kept things in motion and made their break extremely dangerous. With Bird normally handling the ball in the frontcourt during the secondary break, the ball always found the right hands with a balanced floor – thus the good defense on the other end.

Here’s another example...

The Lakers had Magic. He had good, but not blazing speed. Then they had James Worthy and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. L.A. happened to be blessed with the best passer ever and two more excellent passers in Worthy and Kareem. The scouting report for most teams before the game against the Lakers was retreat and retreat fast thus ignoring any offensive rebound attempts – which was basketball suicide because the Lakers normally led the league in field-goal percentage. That meant teams had no chance to win if they attempted less field goals against them.

That’s why the Kings were so good with Mike Bibby, Chris Webber and Vlade Divac. But the triangle offense and the inside-outside dominance of Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant was too much for them to overcome.

But here is the difference... There are no inside-outside dominant combinations in the Western Conference. Definitely not in Dallas. That's the reason why the Suns are the best team in the league and will beat the Dallas Mavericks in May.

The Suns have the blueprint for fast-break success to a championship. Steve Nash's and Boris Diaw's excellent passing abilities have given the Suns what the great fast-breaking Lakers and Celtics teams had in the past.

Yes, Dallas beat the Suns in the Conference Finals last year and are up 2-0 so far this season, but when you dig deeper you will find out why the Suns will prevail in the end.

Lets dig!

Dallas' success over the last few years has come against a Suns team affected by injuries. In the back of their minds, they know they wouldn't have beaten the Suns at full strength.

Amare Stoudemire did not play last year and was rounding into shape the first two encounters this season. Kurt Thomas was coming back from a foot injury and Raja Bell pulled a calf muscle and struggled after Game 2 of the series. Yet the Suns took the Mavericks to Game 6. I don't think the Mavericks would have won a game had they lost Josh Howard or Jason Terry.

The Mavericks have no answer for Amare Stoudemire. They have to stay big because Dirk Nowitzki cannot and will not guard him fearing foul trouble. So the Mavericks lose the extra scorer they need on the floor because they have to play Erick Dampier and DeSagana Diop.

The Suns have the bodies – Diaw, Shawn Marion and James Jones – to wear Dirk down over a seven-game series, especially with Amare and Kurt Thomas in the paint to negate him from posting up freely and rolling to the basket.

The Mavericks will be the tired team because they depend on three players – Nowitzki, Howard and Terry – to put up big numbers, while the Suns have seven players on their roster that can score 25 points any given night and their scoring comes off the catch-and-shoot instead of the bumping and grinding Dirk and Howard go through every night.

Finally, the Steve Nash factor. Dallas has no answer to negate him. If they double off the screen-and-roll, the Suns will get open three-point attempts. If they switch, then Amare gets 40 points. Finally, if they go under the screen-and-roll, Nash scores 30-plus points.

Everybody, including Charles Barkley, says the Mavericks are a great defensive team and that’s why the Suns can’t beat them. Well, let’s look at the numbers.

- The Mavericks allow 92 points a game and score 99; 7 point differential. The Suns allow 102 points per game and score 111; 9 point differential.

- The Suns and Mavericks both hold the opposition to 45 percent from the field.

- The Mavericks average 42 rebounds per game. The Suns average 41 rebounds per game.

- The Mavericks allow opponents six less rebounds, but the Suns have taken over 300 more three-point shots – giving opponents more attempts at rebounds.

- The Mavericks and Suns both average 5 blocks and 6.5 steals per game.

- The Suns force one more turnover a game than the Mavericks.

- Here is the scariest stat of all for you defensive gurus... When the Suns play in a game when both teams are below 100, they are 5-1. That loss came against Dallas on a buzzer beater by Dirk Nowitzki. The Mavs, on the other hand, are 5-6 when teams score over 100 points against them.

Both teams are truly the class of the NBA and Avery Johnson and Mike D’Antoni should be truly admired for what they have accomplished so far. It is truly remarkable how two teams can be this focused especially after subpar starts to the season. The Suns could be going for their 33rd win in a row if the snow doesn't hold them up in Denver before losing to the Wizards and without that last-second shot by Nowitzki a few days later. Dallas is just plain ridiculous as well. They are 34-4 since starting the season with four straight losses.

But the Suns get the edge.

Just wait!

Eddie Johnson is a regular contributor to HoopsHype.com

:clap :elephant :downspin:

da_suns_fan__
01-24-2007, 01:34 PM
Here's where stretch, Ponky etc. turn red with anger.

mabber
01-24-2007, 01:49 PM

THE AUTHOR:
EDDIE JOHNSON

I know even before I write this article that I will be accused as being a homer. I can just imagine the type of e-mails I will get from Mavericks fans about my honesty because I happen to broadcast for the Suns – in my estimation, the best team in the NBA and the most exciting squad I have ever seen. Phoenix is indeed the best team in the league, although the Mavericks have beaten them twice this year. I will go on the record and say the Suns will beat them handily when they meet in the Conference Finals in May and here is why... But again, before I start Maverick fan, hear me out!

I have never been accused of being a great defender, but yet I carved out a 17-year career. I heard a story Larry Bird once told at a camp about the importance of great offense. He said, "Take a look at that gentleman standing underneath the basket on the other end of the floor. He was one of the best defenders I have ever seen play basketball. But guess what? He never played a minute in the NBA. Now let’s talk about shooting and scoring the basketball."

My message to all these gurus of how to win a championship: You need to settle down and stop looking at what the Pistons of the 80s and what the great Bulls did on the defensive end and take notice of what they did on the offensive end of the court.

Offense creates good defense, not the other way around. Detroit and Chicago controlled the tempo with the way they balanced the floor offensively. They always knew where the shot was coming from and because of that, they had a balanced floor. So when they retreated defensively, they were not vulnerable to a fast break or high-percentage shots.

The great Lakers and Celtics championship teams led by Bird and Magic Johnson were exactly the same. But they were uptempo like the Phoenix Suns are today. They ran with a purpose and had assignments based on the position they were in on a fast break – which enabled them to keep a balanced floor.

So when I hear that the Suns can’t win with their style of play, I say go ask Larry Bird and Magic Johnson if that is true. I say that because they know the secret to fast-break success.

Here it is!

You must first have a point guard who is a born leader and a threat to score 20-plus points and add 8 to 12 assists every night. But most importantly, you must have a frontcourt player with similar skills. This allows continuation and flow of the break – especially when the fast break moves to the secondary stage. You see most breaks fizzle out after the first thrust, but those Lakers and Celtics teams hit you hard on the secondary movement of the break.

That’s the secret to the success of the break and that is why teams might want to play like the Suns, but they can’t because selfishness creeps into their game – thus surprising teammates and creating an unbalanced floor for defensive breakdowns on the other end.

One important note is that the point guard does not have to be a speed demon. Dennis Johnson is my first example.

Johnson played point guard for the Celtics and most players could outrun him not going at full speed. But he and Bird gave Boston two passers that kept things in motion and made their break extremely dangerous. With Bird normally handling the ball in the frontcourt during the secondary break, the ball always found the right hands with a balanced floor – thus the good defense on the other end.

The Lakers had Magic. He had good, but not blazing speed. Then they had James Worthy and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. L.A. happened to be blessed with the best passer ever and two more excellent passers in Worthy and Kareem. The scouting report for most teams before the game against the Lakers was retreat and retreat fast thus ignoring any offensive rebound attempts – which was basketball suicide because the Lakers normally led the league in field-goal percentage. That meant teams had no chance to win if they attempted less field goals against them.

That’s why the Kings were so good with Mike Bibby, Chris Webber and Vlade Divac. But the triangle offense and the inside-outside dominance of Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant was too much for them to overcome.

But here is the difference... There are no inside-outside dominant combinations in the Western Conference. Definitely not in Dallas. That's the reason why the Suns are the best team in the league and will beat the Dallas Mavericks in May.

The Suns have the blueprint for fast-break success to a championship. Steve Nash's and Boris Diaw's excellent passing abilities have given the Suns what the great fast-breaking Lakers and Celtics teams had in the past.

Yes, Dallas beat the Suns in the Conference Finals last year and are up 2-0 so far this season, but when you dig deeper you will find out why the Suns will prevail in the end.

Lets dig!

Dallas' success over the last few years has come against a Suns team affected by injuries. In the back of their minds, they know they wouldn't have beaten the Suns at full strength.

Amare Stoudemire did not play last year and was rounding into shape the first two encounters this season. Kurt Thomas was coming back from a foot injury and Raja Bell pulled a calf muscle and struggled after Game 2 of the series. Yet the Suns took the Mavericks to Game 6. I don't think the Mavericks would have won a game had they lost Josh Howard or Jason Terry.

The Mavericks have no answer for Amare Stoudemire. They have to stay big because Dirk Nowitzki cannot and will not guard him fearing foul trouble. So the Mavericks lose the extra scorer they need on the floor because they have to play Erick Dampier and DeSagana Diop.

The Suns have the bodies – Diaw, Shawn Marion and James Jones – to wear Dirk down over a seven-game series, especially with Amare and Kurt Thomas in the paint to negate him from posting up freely and rolling to the basket.

The Mavericks will be the tired team because they depend on three players – Nowitzki, Howard and Terry – to put up big numbers, while the Suns have seven players on their roster that can score 25 points any given night and their scoring comes off the catch-and-shoot instead of the bumping and grinding Dirk and Howard go through every night.

Finally, the Steve Nash factor. Dallas has no answer to negate him. If they double off the screen-and-roll, the Suns will get open three-point attempts. If they switch, then Amare gets 40 points. Finally, if they go under the screen-and-roll, Nash scores 30-plus points.

Everybody, including Charles Barkley, says the Mavericks are a great defensive team and that’s why the Suns can’t beat them. Well, let’s look at the numbers.

- The Mavericks allow 92 points a game and score 99; 7 point differential. The Suns allow 102 points per game and score 111; 9 point differential.

- The Mavericks average 42 rebounds per game. The Suns average 41 rebounds per game.

- The Mavericks allow opponents six less rebounds, but the Suns have taken over 300 more three-point shots – giving opponents more attempts at rebounds.

- Here is the scariest stat of all for you defensive gurus... When the Suns play in a game when both teams are below 100, they are 5-1. That loss came against Dallas on a buzzer beater by Dirk Nowitzki. The Mavs, on the other hand, are 5-6 when teams score over 100 points against them.

Both teams are truly the class of the NBA and Avery Johnson and Mike D’Antoni should be truly admired for what they have accomplished so far. It is truly remarkable how two teams can be this focused especially after subpar starts to the season. The Suns could be going for their 33rd win in a row if the snow doesn't hold them up in Denver before losing to the Wizards and without that last-second shot by Nowitzki a few days later. Dallas is just plain ridiculous as well. They are 34-4 since starting the season with four straight losses.

Just wait!

Good article. Of course he's going to make a case for the Suns. Most unbiased NBA "experts" are making the case for the Mavs right now though. I'd say 4 of every 5 cases I've read or heard are for the Mavs. I did hear Tim Legler make a case for the Suns yesterday. I can sit down and write a great case for the Suns (like Eddie did) or a great case for the Mavs...big deal. In the end they gotta find out on the court.

LB7
01-24-2007, 01:53 PM
That article holds about as much article as Mark Followil writing one about how the Mavs are the best...none.

cheguevara
01-24-2007, 02:01 PM
what is this bunch of shit? it makes no sense at all. Did an 8th grader write this?

u2sarajevo
01-24-2007, 02:03 PM
Hoopshype.... a GREAT source of unbiased articles....

LB7
01-24-2007, 02:05 PM
I thought the best way to find out which team is better is to play each other? Ok, so they have played twice, once when both were struggling out of the gate and another when both were playing well, and the Mavs won both. One home, one away. To me, you can compare numbers or all that if you want, but head-2-head is what determines it. If a group or "experts", analysts or random past players want to write articles stating their "opinions", then thats fine and fun to read, but does it mean anything in the grand scheme of things? Nope, face-2-face, head-2-head, Mavs have that edge right now. Things could change obviously, but right now, Mavs have that advantage.

mabber
01-24-2007, 02:07 PM
I thought the best way to find out which team is better is to play each other? Ok, so they have played twice, once when both were struggling out of the gate and another when both were playing well, and the Mavs won both. One home, one away. To me, you can compare numbers or all that if you want, but head-2-head is what matters.

Don't worry about what happened on the court, try to "dig deeper" than that and you'll understand where Eddie is coming from :lol

LB7
01-24-2007, 02:09 PM
Don't worry about what happened on the court, try to "dig deeper" than that and you'll understand where Eddie is coming from :lol
Lol, obviously. IMHO, if you have to dig THAT deep, then we already know what the truth is. :lol

mabber
01-24-2007, 02:15 PM
Lol, obviously. IMHO, if you have to dig THAT deep, then we already know what the truth is. :lol

To be fair, he does make some good points but why put an article written by a Sun's homer on here? Eddie is paid by the Sun's organization, do you think he'd say that the Mavs are better? :lol

stretch
01-24-2007, 02:52 PM
no. i will simply let my team do the talking. the fact is, history has proven that a run and gun team that plays little defense and sucks at rebounding always fails in the playoffs, while teams that know how to make clutch plays, rebound, play defense, and has good teamwork, wins championships.

ponky
01-24-2007, 03:02 PM

actually, i read the name of the writer, the first sentence, laughed out loud, read the first sentence out loud to my bf, he laughed and then i continued with more important things...no need to clutter my mind with bullshit

Findog
01-24-2007, 03:08 PM
It's funny how everybody talks about a healthy Amare being a difference. All I know is that be careful what you wish for Suns fans. Last year Dampier was relegated to being a DNP because he couldn't follow Tim Thomas out on the perimeter. He can't guard Amare Stoudamire either but that's his defensive assignment and it'll keep Dirk off of him and out of foul trouble. And while Damp is a flawed player and way overpaid, he does contribute and help his team. Without him in there, the Mavs lost a considerable rebounding advantage, which is an absolute necessity if you're going to beat Phoenix.

These two teams are the class of the NBA, and barring injuries/other intangibles, they're going to meet in the conference finals. Such a series will go at least 6 games, the only thing we don't know is who will win Game 5 to take the lead and where Game 6 will be played. Anything else is useless speculation and conjecture. The only thing I will say about a potential series between these two teams is that last year the Suns just simply ran out of gas, and that's where Dallas's depth comes in. It was clear in Game Six who had the fresher legs. Phoenix basically goes with a 6 man rotation -- Nash, Diaw, Marion, Amare, Bell and LB all go for 30+ minutes a game. James Jones and Kurt Thomas are the only other guys who get significant minutes - they each average about 15 minutes a game. Dallas has only 3 guys who play 30+ minutes a night. They have SEVEN guys who play as much or more than Thomas or Jones. Nash has always run out of gas the deeper the playoff run. The Suns are entertaining as hell and they can run the dregs of the league out the gym, but it takes its toll after 100 games.

Up to this point, Dallas is CLEARLY a tiny bit better. Better overall record, better record against winning teams, they won both head to head matchups and they've done it against a much tougher schedule than Phoenix. Comparing the Suns to the 96 Bulls, the 86 Celtics or the Showtime Lakers is a bit much when they're not even the best 06-07 team yet.

da_suns_fan__
01-24-2007, 03:09 PM
Got to admire the respect the Suns get, huh?

mabber
01-24-2007, 03:13 PM

This has nothing to do with respecting or not respecting the Suns. I'm sure everyone respects the hell out of the Suns...I know I do. This has to do with you posting an article written by a Sun's employee saying that the Suns are the better team :lol

Findog
01-24-2007, 03:16 PM

Not really. Being the second-best team in the NBA, they have my respect. We've taken 6 out of the last 8. Run your mouth again in June IF the Suns can reach the Finals.

ponky
01-24-2007, 03:16 PM

from who? you sound insecure as does the eddie johnson having to start out the article with a disclaimer. mavs and suns have the two best records in the league, why not just leave it at that?

Fillmoe
01-24-2007, 03:18 PM
how many times are you lames gonna argue the same ass bullshit?

all mavs fans = NO THE MAVS ARE BETTER

all suns fans = NO THE SUNS ARE BETTER

there problem solved...... now all you fucks can go end your lives

resistanze
01-24-2007, 03:20 PM
Article sounds like it was written by a forum poster.

mabber
01-24-2007, 03:23 PM
Article sounds like it was written by a forum poster.

It was probably just difficult for whoever wrote it to put down into words what Eddie was saying to them.

Islymore
01-24-2007, 03:26 PM
why is your mouth so filthy fillmoe?? sheesh... ha... still love the avatar tho!!!!

i do agree with your quick assessment tho - i been sayin... erybody just agree to disagree...

still not interested in what EJ has to say about the Mavs/Suns.... or anyteam for that matter... who cares what his opinion is? Not this chick.

ponky
01-24-2007, 03:26 PM

Just wait!

DAMMNIT, and here I thought he actually went and sought Magic and Larry's actual opinions on the Suns over the Mavs! Thanks for making me wait, eejit!

Fillmoe
01-24-2007, 03:30 PM
why is your mouth so filthy fillmoe?? sheesh... ha... still love the avatar tho!!!!

i do agree with your quick assessment tho - i been sayin... erybody just agree to disagree...

still not interested in what EJ has to say about the Mavs/Suns.... or anyteam for that matter... who cares what his opinion is? Not this chick.

bad habit?

i just like quick solutions....... and these mavs/suns fans are pissing me off about whos better...... and it doesnt help when the kings are sucking more dick than a crackwhore.......

Shank
01-24-2007, 03:33 PM
Someone's awfully touchy on the whole "Suns are soft on defense" thing.

Fillmoe
01-24-2007, 03:35 PM
my team could be soft on defense if they were 33-8.......... i could care less

da_suns_fan__
01-24-2007, 03:35 PM
DAMMNIT, and here I thought he actually went and sought Magic and Larry's actual opinions on the Suns over the Mavs! Thanks for making me wait, eejit!

That reaction just made my day.

I thought you said you had better things to do than read it Ponky?

Hey..people like Bill Simmons and Eddie Johnson are just trying to point out how special this Suns team is.

This week during the free league pass, you all should take the time to seriously appreciate them........

ponky
01-24-2007, 03:40 PM
That reaction just made my day.

I thought you said you had better things to do than read it Ponky?

Hey..people like Bill Simmons and Eddie Johnson are just trying to point out how special this Suns team is.

This week during the free league pass, you all should take the time to seriously appreciate them........

eh, after all the hoople i skimmed it for about 30 secs, found the words MAGIC and BIRD, read that part very carefully, laughed again, posted. no way am i going to read all of the piece, don't have time, i have to save that for smack talking. i did however read bill simmons' piece which was hilarious, comparing them to the greatest teams, hahahahahahaha

reaction? you should really be disappointed that johnson made all these references to the best and then failed to connect them in any concrete way other than by isolated, vague references. if he had done that then i'd certainly give credit where it's due. the fact remains that you haven't managed to accomplish much in the last three years, keep trying and if you do something, i'll certainly applaud you guys. personally, i have nothing against the suns but all of the suns posters on here with a couple of exceptions (Amare32) sound insecure as hell, like you need the attention

Fillmoe
01-24-2007, 03:42 PM
fillmoe makes note*

mavs/suns fans will ignore all logical explanations pointed out and argue the easier points

Fillmoe
01-24-2007, 03:43 PM
EJs middle name should start with n..... then he would have the sickest initials.... E.N.J!

ponky
01-24-2007, 03:44 PM
fillmoe makes note*

mavs/suns fans will ignore all logical explanations pointed out and argue the easier points

you should forget about the kings and be suns fans because

1. you really need some attention
2. you could be a fan of a winning team
3. their guys like to take out lakers

mFFL03
01-24-2007, 03:46 PM
This is quite possibly, from a journalistic standpoint, one of the worst written articles.

Unbiased? Sure if you like Fox News. Homeristic? 100%

Sure I'm a Mavs Fan, but I'm no Homer. I'm willing to admit faults and weakness and recognize other good teams.

But this article? this is crap....

Why does he keep relating the style of play back to the 70s and 80s. As the great SpaceBalls movie put it, "we are in now time...what we are watching on the tv, is happening all right now."

And since when did the Mavs have NO OFFENSE? Does this guy even watch the games? He says the big 3 are only howard, dirk, and terry. Hmm...apparently the names george, stackhouse and devin harris mean nothing.

Do we have strong centers? No, well in essence we do. They just get too close to player and end up fouling him, and with a player like amare, fouls WILL be a problem.

The problem with the suns is potential injury. If one important card gets injured, the whole house has a possibility of coming down. Nash's back is a problem, he has to sit out almost 2 quarters when the back pain is at its worst....and lets not bring up playoff games where he is forced to play HEAVY minutes.

I can go on forever, but real ballas and fans know the truth. These are both great teams, but to make these type of accusations is just disgusting......

Spurs vs Rockets Jan 24th: Lets GO McGrady! Sorry spurs fans

Fillmoe
01-24-2007, 03:46 PM
you should forget about the kings and be suns fans because

1. you really need some attention
2. you could be a fan of a winning team
3. their guys like to take out lakers

:rolleyes

Fillmoe
01-24-2007, 04:09 PM
ponky i liked you better when you were my groupie..............

mavs>spurs2
01-24-2007, 04:20 PM
Suns fan feels like his team has something to prove after the mavs have taken 6 out of the past 8. It's ok to be a little insecure after not only losing to the mavs in the playoffs but also losing both games this season.

ponky
01-24-2007, 04:30 PM
ponky i liked you better when you were my groupie..............

your groupie? :flypig :flypig :flypig :flypig

ur funny at times but u sound bitter lately and just diss everything and anything

Budkin
01-24-2007, 04:48 PM
The Mavs would dismantle the Suns in a seven game series this year, even with Amare playing. The Spurs are the only team that even has a slight hope of defeating them, and only if they can shore up their weaknesses via trade.

Shank
01-24-2007, 04:52 PM
The Suns roll through teams during the regular season because their opponents can't fully analyze what it is they're doing and can't gameplan around it. In a playoff series, they can (and have been) picked apart, slowed down and beaten.

mabber
01-24-2007, 04:56 PM
The Suns roll through teams during the regular season because their opponents can't fully analyze what it is they're doing and can't gameplan around it. In a playoff series, they can (and have been) picked apart, slowed down and beaten.

Not according to Eddie Johnson.

u2sarajevo
01-24-2007, 04:57 PM
The key stats this guy is pointing to in this article are these:

1. The Suns are 33-0 when outscoring their opponents.
2. The Mavs are 0-8 when outscored by their opponents.

Greg Oden
01-24-2007, 04:57 PM
Not according to Eddie Johnson.

or RonMexico

StylisticS
01-24-2007, 05:22 PM
haha. Mary on dallas-mavs.com broke this article down. And she did a good job of it too.

mFFL03
01-24-2007, 05:28 PM
I was going to break down the schedule of the Suns and show all the poor teams, but I'll read Mary's article instead.

u2sarajevo
01-24-2007, 05:43 PM
haha. Mary on dallas-mavs.com broke this article down. And she did a good job of it too.As she always does....

I don't know why we are giving this guy much pub.... he's the Suns color commentator.... you wouldn't expect him to write an article exclaiming that the Mavs were better would you?

baseline bum
01-24-2007, 05:47 PM
This season is looking a lot like 2000 with Portland and LA. Both teams were on ridiculous paces for most of the season, neck and neck, and you never really knew who was better, until March or so.

StylisticS
01-24-2007, 05:52 PM
I was going to break down the schedule of the Suns and show all the poor teams, but I'll read Mary's article instead.
It's not an article. It's just a poster on another board who made some good points to counter this article by saying things like this:

Am I reading this incorrectly?

The Suns are 5-1 when both teams score under 100.

The Mavs are 5-6 when teams score more than 100 points against them.

Okay. What is the Mavs record when both teams score under 100? Why is he comparing two completely different stats?

I honestly didn't notice that until she said it.

Bookit
01-24-2007, 06:00 PM
Here is the scariest stat of all for you defensive gurus... When the Suns play in a game when both teams are below 100, they are 5-1. That loss came against Dallas on a buzzer beater by Dirk Nowitzki. The Mavs, on the other hand, are 5-6 when teams score over 100 points against them.

I like this part. As if it doesn't count as a loss if someone hits a buzzer beater against you. Uh, I guess he forgot that the Suns beat the Bulls on a buzzer beater too. But that doesn't count. Hmm. And the Mavs are 5-6 when the other team scores 100 on them? Really? Well the Mavs are 35-4 over their last 39 games so I guess not many teams score over 100 on them. :lol Idiot.

u2sarajevo
01-24-2007, 06:04 PM
The thing that really kills me is, as mary later pointed out, the Suns loss he speaks of in the 5-1 stat the final score was 101-99 Dallas. So the Suns are 5-0 when both score less than 100, not 5-1.

Yay Suns!!!!

Bob Lanier
01-24-2007, 06:18 PM
This season is looking a lot like 2000 with Portland and LA. Both teams were on ridiculous paces for most of the season, neck and neck, and you never really knew who was better, until March or so.
So will Dirk be allowed to cheat as much as Shaq was in that series?

resistanze
01-24-2007, 06:25 PM
The key stats this guy is pointing to in this article are these:

1. The Suns are 33-0 when outscoring their opponents.
2. The Mavs are 0-8 when outscored by their opponents.

That was good.

ponky
01-24-2007, 06:41 PM
It's not an article. It's just a poster on another board who made some good points to counter this article by saying things like this:

I honestly didn't notice that until she said it.

lol, me neither, the whole thread was sarcastically hilarious and on point, made me laugh

mavsfan1000
01-24-2007, 06:48 PM
Dallas rebounds better than Phoenix
Dallas plays defense better than Phoenix
Dallas Controls tempo better than Phoenix.
Dallas>Phoenix. Simple as that.

da_suns_fan__
01-24-2007, 06:48 PM
haha. Mary on dallas-mavs.com broke this article down. And she did a good job of it too.

Ha ha ha....

I don't know whats better...the articles written about the Suns, or the Mavs fans' counter to them.

First it was someone named "blogfish" "shooting down" Bill Simmons' piece.

But now, we have "Mary" from some mavs site who "broke down" Eddie Johnson's piece.

Man..the mavs get so much more respect than the Suns.

Seriously, how can anyone top the writings of "Blogfish" or "Mary"?

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

ponky
01-24-2007, 07:57 PM
Ha ha ha....

I don't know whats better...the articles written about the Suns, or the Mavs fans' counter to them.

First it was someone named "blogfish" "shooting down" Bill Simmons' piece.

But now, we have "Mary" from some mavs site who "broke down" Eddie Johnson's piece.

Man..the mavs get so much more respect than the Suns.

Seriously, how can anyone top the writings of "Blogfish" or "Mary"?

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

you know at one point in time, before espn, bill simmons was just another blogger. here's a thought: rather than focus on one's credentials, why don't you just respond to the comments made by "mary"...oh that's right, you leave it to the pros

BUMP
01-24-2007, 08:12 PM

THE AUTHOR:
EDDIE JOHNSON

Here it is!

Lets dig!

Just wait!

:sleep

i fell asleep after the 1st paragraph

SoCal Lakeshow
01-24-2007, 08:19 PM
The Suns will lose to the Lakers if they meet in the playoffs.

Book it :fro

BUMP
01-24-2007, 08:26 PM
The Suns will lose to the Lakers if they meet in the playoffs.

Book it :fro

i agree

Lakers are a dangerous team if Odom gets back and plays like he did earlier, they might make it to the WC Finals

SoCal Lakeshow
01-24-2007, 08:31 PM
i agree

Lakers are a dangerous team if Odom gets back and plays like he did earlier, they might make it to the WC Finals
If they start playing well togethor and get some favorable matchups in the playoffs, I can see it happening. If they pickup a solid PG in a trade, it will be very possible.

Extra Stout
01-24-2007, 09:26 PM
It's possible that the Suns could beat Dallas in a playoff series, though I would take Dallas as the favorite.

That article was pretty awful.

Anyone who watches Dallas for any length of time knows that they have more than three guys who can fill it up. EJ apparently is willfully ignoring the existence of Devin Harris and Jerry Stackhouse.

He references the NBA of the 1980's. That is irrelevant.

He blabbers on about how the Suns are going to win because of offense. That is fine, but the Mavericks don't exactly suck on offense. The Suns are a little more efficient on offense, and a little less efficient on defense.

That deal about the Mavs being 5-6 when opponents score more than 100... wow. I don't know what that was all about. I bet you could show how bad the Spurs sucked when teams scored 100 on them during their title years.

To me, the question is going to be which team is the most versatile.

Amare_32
01-24-2007, 10:27 PM
Lets just wait until May and let the teams decide it. We are not even at the All Star break yet. There is still alot of season left and you never know what can happen.
________
Hemp (http://marijuanahemp.com)
________
The Cliff Condominiums Pattaya (http://pattayaluxurycondos.com)

Amare_32
01-24-2007, 10:29 PM
It's possible that the Suns could beat Dallas in a playoff series, though I would take Dallas as the favorite.

That article was pretty awful.

Anyone who watches Dallas for any length of time knows that they have more than three guys who can fill it up. EJ apparently is willfully ignoring the existence of Devin Harris and Jerry Stackhouse.

He references the NBA of the 1980's. That is irrelevant.

He blabbers on about how the Suns are going to win because of offense. That is fine, but the Mavericks don't exactly suck on offense. The Suns are a little more efficient on offense, and a little less efficient on defense.

That deal about the Mavs being 5-6 when opponents score more than 100... wow. I don't know what that was all about. I bet you could show how bad the Spurs sucked when teams scored 100 on them during their title years.

To me, the question is going to be which team is the most versatile.

Dallas is the favorite only because they made the Finals. Last year Detroit was the heavy favorite to win it all. Remind me again who won the title.
________
buttsex Webcam (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/webcam/anal-sex/)

ponky
01-24-2007, 11:01 PM
Lets just wait until May and let the teams decide it. We are not even at the All Star break yet. There is still alot of season left and you never know what can happen.

I second this, lots of ball to be played, let's just hope both teams make it to and through the playoffs healthy. You know what might be kind of cool about this year's playoffs? There most likely won't be a weak team like the Grizzlies in the first round. Back in 05 Suns swept the Griz while the Mavs had to play a seven game series against the Rockets and last year the Mavs swept the Griz while the Spurs played a six game series against a tougher team. I could see all of the first round series in the West going at least to five games, if not more.

BillsCarnage
01-24-2007, 11:27 PM
You all are putting way too much into early season loses and head-to-head. I've said it before and i'll say it again: Both of these teams have one thing in sight; a championship.

While they'd like home court it's not necessary for them come PO time. They'll both have to win on the road and know they can.

What will Mav fans say if the Suns win the next two against the Mavs? What if they're blowouts? And vise versa. Big whoop. The WCF's will ultimately determine the champion and these two teams are on a collision course that the NBA hasn't seen in a while.

Let's just enjoy what they're doing until the PO's start and the fun really begins. They're just getting tuned up right now.

01-25-2007, 12:26 AM
It's funny how everybody talks about a healthy Amare being a difference. All I know is that be careful what you wish for Suns fans. Last year Dampier was relegated to being a DNP because he couldn't follow Tim Thomas out on the perimeter. He can't guard Amare Stoudamire either but that's his defensive assignment and it'll keep Dirk off of him and out of foul trouble. And while Damp is a flawed player and way overpaid, he does contribute and help his team. Without him in there, the Mavs lost a considerable rebounding advantage, which is an absolute necessity if you're going to beat Phoenix.

That is a great paragraph. That must have taken a lot of time an thought to put on the interweb for everyone to read.

Just in case you forgot however, the Suns had exactly 0 players who could play (or defend) inside in the playoffs last year with their opening day Center, Power Forward and Guard watching from the front row.

No disrespect, Dallas is a rock solid team, and beat PHX fair and square last year. That said, in the immortal words of your star receiver, "get your popcorn ready". The Suns are on the verge of something special.

...Just ask Simmons :)

ponky
01-25-2007, 12:33 AM
That is a great paragraph. That must have taken a lot of time an thought to put on the interweb for everyone to read.

Just in case you forgot however, the Suns had exactly 0 players who could play (or defend) inside in the playoffs last year with their opening day Center, Power Forward and Guard watching from the front row.

No disrespect, Dallas is a rock solid team, and beat PHX fair and square last year. That said, in the immortal words of your star receiver, "get your popcorn ready". The Suns are on the verge of something special.

Ask Simmons? You should read some of his stuff about last year's finals and get back to me. The guy, while a humorous and adept writer at times, isn't god.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4/wgaf4u/catfishballswim.jpg

PhxDog
01-25-2007, 01:24 AM
Two things:

1. Watch what you say about EJ, because he might just come to this forum and jack your ass up. I have actually seen this happen before.

2. The interesting thing in this article is the why. He says that the Suns will win because of Diaw's PG skills, and the Mavs will lose because they don't have a distributing PG.

I won't commit to that, myself, but looking back on the last Suns/Mavs game--the Suns were up three when Diaw fouled out. After he left, they turned the ball over four times in the last five minutes and wound up losing by two.

So, maybe Eddie Johnson has a clue what he's talking about. You know, at least as much as some random forum poster. :toast

Shank
01-25-2007, 02:36 AM
I, for one, am happy to see that Eddie is recovering nicely from his cancer treatment.

What's that? Oh, that's Ernie Johnson? Then who the hell is Eddie Johnson?

Findog
01-25-2007, 07:06 AM

I like how Simmons claims the Suns are "historically good" when they haven't won anything yet and aren't even the best team this year.

ponky
01-25-2007, 07:31 AM
Two things:

1. Watch what you say about EJ, because he might just come to this forum and jack your ass up. I have actually seen this happen before.

Yeah, kinda like how he said he was going to go ask Bird and Magic why the Suns were better than the Mavs. :rolleyes

but my daddy can beat up your daddy....i'm going to go tell!!!

Findog
01-25-2007, 10:39 AM

I don't see you making an X's and O's argument. Just middle-school level trashtalking.

I certainly didn't forget the Suns getting their asses kicked last year. And the Suns still have exactly 0 players who can defend inside. Didn't Dirk hang 50 on Marion? Amare is an atrocious defender. Kurt Thomas getting 13 minutes a game doesn't count. And if the Suns want to put that slow stiff on the court ahead of their other three frontcourt scorers, that's fine by me.

About what? Laguna Beach? Karate Kid? The new Rocky movie?

Findog
01-25-2007, 10:46 AM
The interesting thing in this article is the why. He says that the Suns will win because of Diaw's PG skills, and the Mavs will lose because they don't have a distributing PG.

What, Devin Harris and Jason Terry are chopped liver? The Suns starting five averages 21 assists per game to the Mavs starters 16. Dallas's offense is basically pass the ball around, use the shotclock and find the mismatch. They don't get credited for assists when a guy receives a pass with good position and puts the ball on the floor.

Depth is the key: Dallas goes 10 deep, the Suns only go 6 deep. Nash and Co. are going to be sucking wind the deeper into the playoffs they go, just like they do every year.

01-25-2007, 12:26 PM
Ask Simmons? You should read some of his stuff about last year's finals and get back to me. The guy, while a humorous and adept writer at times, isn't god.

Hence the smiley face at the end of the sentence. It was a joke. The Simmons article, was pure hyperbole IMO. It was a fun read, but that type of article is supposed to be written after the Suns win the title...not before.

Depth is the key: Dallas goes 10 deep, the Suns only go 6 deep. Nash and Co. are going to be sucking wind the deeper into the playoffs they go, just like they do every year.

That is a myth. For instance, the Suns had 7 players who played 20 or more minutes last night, the exact number the Mavs did the night before. For all intents and purposes they have an 8 man rotation when healthy. Plus they have Jumaine Jones and Jalen Rose, who both started over 40 games last year. They can go 10 deep any given night and not miss a beat.

mabber
01-25-2007, 12:43 PM
Hence the smiley face at the end of the sentence. It was a joke. The Simmons article, was pure hyperbole IMO. It was a fun read, but that type of article is supposed to be written after the Suns win the title...not before.

That is a myth. For instance, the Suns had 7 players who played 20 or more minutes last night, the exact number the Mavs did the night before. For all intents and purposes they have an 8 man rotation when healthy. Plus they have Jumaine Jones and Jalen Rose, who both started over 40 games last year. They can go 10 deep any given night and not miss a beat.

But they don't...and that's the point.

Findog
01-25-2007, 01:09 PM
That is a myth. For instance, the Suns had 7 players who played 20 or more minutes last night, the exact number the Mavs did the night before. For all intents and purposes they have an 8 man rotation when healthy. Plus they have Jumaine Jones and Jalen Rose, who both started over 40 games last year. <b>They can go 10 deep any given night</b> and not miss a beat.

The hell they can...and if the Suns want to play Jumaine Jones and Jalen Rose significant minutes against us, they are more than welcome. As for them starting for Charlotte and NY/Tor last year, whatever. That's not a mark in their favor.

Here's how the mpg breaks down:

Marion 38.3
Bell 37.7
Nash 35.7
Diaw 32.6
Barbosa 30.7
Amare 29.9
Thomas 18.5
James Jones 14.5

That's Phoenix's rotation. They get 64 minutes a night from their bench. They go six deep, with Jones and Thomas the only other guys that can crack double digits in minutes played.

Dirk 36.5
Howard 35.4
Terry 34.9
Harris 26.8
Dampier 25.9
Stackhouse 23.3
George 20.8
Buckner 17.1
Diop 16.6
Johnson 15.3

Dallas has only 3 guys playing 30+ minutes a night and they get 91 minutes from their bench. Dirk would be third in mpg for Phoenix. Doesn't make much difference for a meeting during the regular season but to reach the conference finals will take about 90-95 games. I'm sure you remember Game Six when the runnin' and gunnin' Phoenix Suns were reduced to walkin' and crawlin' and gaspin' for air. The only difference in their rotation from last year is Amare in for TT. Personally I prefer it that way for Dallas. Amare isn't going to force Avery to stick Dampier on the bench because he can't guard the perimeter, and Amare gives back on defense almost as much as what he gets you offensively. D'Antoni should've drafted Marcus Williams and given out the midlevel to somebody that could actually help them. They're running roughshed over an easy schedule. Dallas is 15-6 against winning teams, Phoenix is 9-7. Dallas is 11-4 against Western playoff teams, Phoenix is 2-6.

Extra Stout
01-25-2007, 02:38 PM
Dallas is the favorite only because they made the Finals. Last year Detroit was the heavy favorite to win it all. Remind me again who won the title.
I think you lack critical thinking skills. Nothing in your post there directly relates to what I typed. Perhaps you are just very young.

ponky
01-25-2007, 03:41 PM
But they don't...and that's the point.

Exactly what I was thinking. And Suns fans, we won't be playing a difficult 7 game first-round series against the Rockets while you sweep the Grizzlies, should be a bit more even in that respect this season, I'm looking forward to it!

mabber
01-25-2007, 03:48 PM
Exactly what I was thinking. And Suns fans, we won't be playing a difficult 7 game first-round series against the Rockets while you sweep the Grizzlies, should be a bit more even in that respect this season, I'm looking forward to it!

The Mavs should be able to use a lot of their depth in the 1st 2 rounds of the playoffs (especially the 1st round), which should really help against whomever we matchup against in the conference finals (assuming the Mavs get that far).

01-25-2007, 09:03 PM
I'm sure you remember Game Six when the runnin' and gunnin' Phoenix Suns were reduced to walkin' and crawlin' and gaspin' for air. The only difference in their rotation from last year is Amare in for TT.

You had a great argument up until then. The Suns had 3 starters injured when they met up with the Mavs last year...and they still pushed the Mavs to 6 games. That, more than any other reason, is why the Suns were gasping for air.

RonMexico
01-25-2007, 10:21 PM
I also think the Suns have veteran depth they can save for the first round of the playoffs, including Jumaine Jones and Jalen Rose. Spot duties of 8 mins or so would be fine for those guys.