PDA

View Full Version : New Orleans not mentioned in the State of the Union

ChumpDumper
01-24-2007, 06:42 PM
Bush's State of the Union Omits State of Louisiana

All Things Considered, January 24, 2007 · Survivors of Hurricane Katrina and the flooding along the Gulf Coast are unhappy that President Bush failed to mention the struggle to rebuild in his State of the Union address Tuesday night.

In his speech, President Bush talked about the economy, education, healthcare, immigration, terrorism and Iraq, among other topics. But he did not talk about New Orleans and the challenges the city faces as it tries to recover. People in New Orleans noticed.

When Joe Aguda turned on his television last night in his FEMA trailer in the front yard of the house where he used live in, he heard President Bush talk about committing troops and resources to the rebuilding of Iraq.

But he didn't hear anything about rebuilding New Orleans.

Standing in the shell of his house in mid-city New Orleans Wednesday, sifting through a few relics that survived in his attic, Aguda said his reaction was simple. "We've been forgotten," he said.

And Aguda says he can't explain why. "This is the largest national catastrophe to ever happen here in the United States and everything else took precedence."

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=7004942

Considering everything that is covered in these speeches, that's fucked up.

01Snake
01-24-2007, 06:45 PM
Haven't they been given enough coverage?? I'm longing for the next hurricane so we can start feeling sorry for someone else. How does S. Carolina sound??

ChumpDumper
01-24-2007, 06:46 PM
Haven't they been given enough coverage??Have they?

01Snake
01-24-2007, 07:06 PM
Have they?

Well, according to you and Ms. Blanco, I guess not.
:rolleyes

ChumpDumper
01-24-2007, 07:12 PM
Not even a sentence?

01Snake
01-24-2007, 07:15 PM
Not even a sentence?

I guess not. :lol

I did my part however and got manhandled at Harrahs last week while in NOLA. Hopefully I helped build a new shack for someone. :smokin

Clandestino
01-24-2007, 10:04 PM
fuck new orleans.. stop feeling sorry for themselves and do something... but stfu about new orleans

spurschick
01-24-2007, 10:20 PM
And yet he hasn't stopped mentioning 9/11 in his State of the Unions. Let's see... he keeps mentioning the event that somehow boosted his approval ratings, but won't mention the event that exposed his ineptitude. Shocker.

01Snake
01-24-2007, 10:32 PM
And yet he hasn't stopped mentioning 9/11 in his State of the Unions. Let's see... he keeps mentioning the event that somehow boosted his approval ratings, but won't mention the event that exposed his ineptitude. Shocker.

9/11 > Katrina x 100000

I'm a little more concerned about terrorism than I am about the forces of nature. I'm pretty sure the rest of the country is too. As for approval rating...do you actually think the guy gives a shit about it? :lol

ChumpDumper
01-24-2007, 10:40 PM
Not one sentence?

Not one hero to point out in the gallery?

01Snake
01-24-2007, 10:43 PM

He was busy.

http://happycarpenter.blogs.com/the_happy_carpenter/images/looter_1_original.jpg

ChumpDumper
01-24-2007, 10:52 PM
Another mainstream media sucker! Why doesn't anyone accentuate the good things happening in New Orleans?

Angelina Jolie picks Maddox up from school in New Orleans

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 -- Angelina Jolie, was spotted picking up son, Maddox Jolie-Pitt, 5 1/2, from the new school that he has been enrolled in, in New Orleans. The family, including dad, Brad Pitt, and sisters, Zahara, 2, and Shiloh, 8 months, have bought a house to stay in for at least the time that Brad is filming The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

http://www.celebrity-babies.com/2007/01/angelina_jolie__4.html

Take that, New Orleans haters.

PixelPusher
01-24-2007, 10:58 PM
He was busy.

http://happycarpenter.blogs.com/the_happy_carpenter/images/looter_1_original.jpg
So was Bush.

http://isen.com/blog/uploaded_images/bush-guitar-725866.jpg

PixelPusher
01-24-2007, 11:15 PM
Not one sentence?

surely this couple would qualify...

http://www.domainblog.net/images/captures/katrina_pink-find.jpg

Saddam's Ghost
01-24-2007, 11:22 PM
He didn't even mention me!

01Snake
01-24-2007, 11:26 PM
He said hero Pixel. People wading through water to find food after failing to leave the with a Cat 5 hurricane approaching aren't heros.

PixelPusher
01-24-2007, 11:26 PM
He didn't even mention me!
For gawd's sake, do I have to keep repeating myself? He was BUSY!!!!

http://wonkette.com/images/thumbs/0f4a067c335a50ebeaa0f28d81e1faab.jpg

PixelPusher
01-24-2007, 11:29 PM
He said hero Pixel. People wading through water to find food after failing to leave the with a Cat 5 hurricane approaching aren't heros.
Yeah, poor people can't be heroes. Heroes own cars.

ChumpDumper
01-24-2007, 11:35 PM
Finding is heroic.

Looting, less so.

exstatic
01-24-2007, 11:45 PM
So was Bush.

http://isen.com/blog/uploaded_images/bush-guitar-725866.jpg
Nero.

PixelPusher
01-24-2007, 11:45 PM
Finding is heroic.

Looting, less so.
I think it's best if we all just wait for the President to point out the true heroes to us.

http://www.iflipflop.com/medal_of_freedom.jpg

01Snake
01-24-2007, 11:46 PM
Yeah, poor people can't be heroes. Heroes own cars.

How do you know those people are poor? I met a ton of people down there working who lost everything. When I asked them why they didn't leave, not one said they didn't have the means too. They said they stayed because after so many years of leaving and nothing happening, they decided it wasn't worth the effort to leave.

Sure a lot of people didn't have the means to bolt but don't act like everyone who CHOSE to stay had no other option.

PixelPusher
01-25-2007, 12:02 AM
How do you know those people are poor? I met a ton of people down there working who lost everything. When I asked them why they didn't leave, not one said they didn't have the means too. They said they stayed because after so many years of leaving and nothing happening, they decided it wasn't worth the effort to leave.

Sure a lot of people didn't have the means to bolt but don't act like everyone who CHOSE to stay had no other option.
That's fair, and in all seriousness the term "hero" gets thrown around and misapplied too often; a more appropriate term for people affected in NOLA would be "victim", but that word has been transformed into a pejorative over the past 2 decades by it's similar misapplication.

01Snake
01-25-2007, 12:21 AM
That's fair, and in all seriousness the term "hero" gets thrown around and misapplied too often;

AMEN to that. Everyone is a hero nowadays.

Nbadan
01-25-2007, 12:52 AM
AMEN to that. Everyone is a hero nowadays.

Nah, the guy who stopped the mom from stabbing her 2 kids. That dudes a hero. the guy who jumped in front of a speeding train to save someone he didn't know. That dudes a hero. The guy who drove his Hyundai loaded with food and rescued 5 New Orleans residents while the government was fighting over jurisdiction. That dudes a hero.

01Snake
01-25-2007, 12:54 AM
Dan, you're my hero!

Signed,
Boutons

Yonivore
01-25-2007, 12:56 AM
Nah, the guy who stopped the mom from stabbing her 2 kids. That dudes a hero. the guy who jumped in front of a speeding train to save someone he didn't know. That dudes a hero. The guy who drove his Hyundai loaded with food and rescued 5 New Orleans residents while the government was fighting over jurisdiction. That dudes a hero.
Agreed.

MannyIsGod
01-25-2007, 02:58 AM
I"m much more leery of a society where the word here isn't tossed around enough as opposed to one where its used too often.

Some of you really do disgust me.

bresilhac
01-25-2007, 04:18 AM
Bush's State of the Union Omits State of Louisiana

All Things Considered, January 24, 2007 · Survivors of Hurricane Katrina and the flooding along the Gulf Coast are unhappy that President Bush failed to mention the struggle to rebuild in his State of the Union address Tuesday night.

In his speech, President Bush talked about the economy, education, healthcare, immigration, terrorism and Iraq, among other topics. But he did not talk about New Orleans and the challenges the city faces as it tries to recover. People in New Orleans noticed.

When Joe Aguda turned on his television last night in his FEMA trailer in the front yard of the house where he used live in, he heard President Bush talk about committing troops and resources to the rebuilding of Iraq.

But he didn't hear anything about rebuilding New Orleans.

Standing in the shell of his house in mid-city New Orleans Wednesday, sifting through a few relics that survived in his attic, Aguda said his reaction was simple. "We've been forgotten," he said.

And Aguda says he can't explain why. "This is the largest national catastrophe to ever happen here in the United States and everything else took precedence."

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=7004942

Considering everything that is covered in these speeches, that's fucked up.

I like many other Americans am sick to death of hearing about New Orleans and its unfortunate plight. Enough is enough already. The media as well as the White House have given that burg all the attention it deserves. Like a previous poster mentioned I keep waiting for the next horrible disaster to take place so that we can focus on some other community for awhile. For one thing I don't think it's the federal government's responsibility to rebuild New Orleans. It's up to Louisiana. Instead of subsidizing Tom Benson's Saints and spending tens of millions to refurbish the Superdome the state government should be rebuilding housing, infrastructure etc.

ponky
01-25-2007, 06:17 AM
damn, here's where all the ignorant assholes hang out...keep waiting for the next national disaster, very classy

Fillmoe
01-25-2007, 07:21 AM
thats cuz george bush dont like black people......

Saddam's Ghost
01-25-2007, 09:08 AM
Agreed.
:smchode:

01Snake
01-25-2007, 12:44 PM
damn, here's where all the ignorant assholes hang out...keep waiting for the next national disaster, very classy

Surely you cannot be that stupid to think we are waiting for the next disaster. Nobody is wishing disaster on anyone. It was simply a jab at how tired people are of hearing about Katrina. I don't recall all the attention to the people in Punta Gorda who's homes were decimated by Charlie or any of the other 3 hurricanes that pounded FL in 04'.

Shit, I just noticed you're a Mavs fan. Maybe you are just stupid. :lol

xrayzebra
01-25-2007, 03:18 PM
Time some of those people got off their asses went back to NO and
took the jobs the illegals are doing there. Lots of work and they
sit around wanting Uncle Sugar to keep picking up the tab for their
life.

Got no more time for NO.

Nbadan
01-25-2007, 10:56 PM
Katrina - The Promise (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfiHqgwY0jA)

boutons_
01-25-2007, 11:09 PM
dubya didn't mention yet-another huge fiasco of his mis-governing, incompetent Exec, his joke of DHS (remind, which color is the Cat 3 Hurricane Alert for Ridge's Risk Stoplight :lol ) .

The American people haven't forgotten, never will.

NO is another glob of shit stuck eternally to dubya's legacy.