Vinnie_Johnson
01-24-2007, 10:43 PM
He will be the OC or head coach. I bet he brings in Wade to Coach. :rolleyes

BUMP
01-24-2007, 10:48 PM
link?

Vinnie_Johnson
01-24-2007, 10:52 PM
According to knowledgeable sources, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has decided to hire Jason Garrett at least to be Dallas' offensive coordinator -- and possibly to be the successor to retired head coach Bill Parcells.

Jason Garrett

Garrett

A source told ESPN's Ed Werder on Wednesday night that Jones considers Garrett -- a former backup to quarterback Troy Aikman -- to be one of the most promising offensive coaches in the league and was so determined to bring him back to the Cowboys organization that he would have been added to Parcells' staff had Parcells decided to coach the final year of his contract.

Instead, Parcells stepped down Monday after four seasons with the Cowboys, ending a 19-year coaching tenure that included two Super Bowl champoinships with the New York Giants.

Jones must decide by Thursday whether to hire Garrett as offensive coordinator because the Miami Dolphins set a deadline for the Cowboys to hire their quarterbacks coach when granting the Cowboys permission to interview Garrett.

The Cowboys could appoint Garrett offensive coordinator to secure his services while eliminating the Dolphins from the equation. Then Jones could deliberate whether to appoint him as the head coach later after interviews with other head-coaching candidates, primarily San Diego Chargers defensive coordinator Wade Phillips or San Francisco 49ers offensive coordinator Norv Turner.

Ultimately, Jones must decide whether he's willing to sign a veteran coach to a three- or four-year contract to allow Garrett to gain experience as a play-caller before eventually promoting him to the top job. Or, Jones may decide he's willing to endure the risk of immediately putting a talented Cowboys team in Garrett's hands now.

Garrett spent the last two seasons coaching Miami's quarterbacks. He played for the Cowboys from 1993-99, appearing in 23 games (nine starts). He also played for the Giants, Tampa Bay and Miami. Garrett retired in 2004.

Garrett's father, Jim, was a longtime scout for the Cowboys.

The Cowboys haven't had an offensive coordinator since Maruice Carthon served in that role under Parcells in 2004. This season, assistant head coach Tony Sparano coached running backs and the offensive line and receivers coach Todd Haley was the passing game coordinator.

Jones earlier this week spoke to Sparano, Haley and secondary coach Todd Bowles, a candidate to replace Mike Zimmer as defensive coordinator, about the head coaching job.

Phillips, who was in Mobile scouting Senior Bowl practices, said he hadn't heard from anybody yet, including the Cowboys.

"If it's true, we'll just go on with the process and see what happens," Phillips told The Associated Press by telephone. "I've got a great job where I am and a great football team. I wasn't looking for anything, but I've always wanted to do what I can do as a head coach, and Dallas is certainly a premier job."

The Cowboys have declared that finding the coaches who can develop young Pro Bowl quarterback Tony Romo is a point of emphasis in replacing Parcells.

Information from ESPN's Ed Werder and The Associated Press was used in this report.

Vinnie_Johnson
01-24-2007, 10:53 PM
Link is on espn.com NFL page.

Vinnie_Johnson
01-24-2007, 11:08 PM
Anyone good bad ???

mardigan
01-24-2007, 11:47 PM
F it, I dont even care at this point, there are so many new coaches who knows, he might be good. He is a smart guy that went to Princton, and he knows offense, so we will see I suppose. I hope they do bring in Phillips, but at this point, I just want to see a better team on the field

King
01-24-2007, 11:52 PM
I think it's a great hire, as a person, but I don't like hiring an assistant without having a HC in place. You hire the HC, and let him bring in his staff, as much as I like Garrett.

T-Pain
01-24-2007, 11:55 PM
damnit

mardigan
01-25-2007, 12:01 AM
He is spoken of highly in the ESPN article, and phillips said that he hadnt been contacted yet by the Boys, but that it was a premier job and would be willing to go through the process

rayray2k8
01-25-2007, 02:37 AM
Might as well just re-hired dave campo. :lol

sghspurs
01-25-2007, 03:46 AM
Jason Garrett will be a great hire. Troy Aikman thinks he's going to be a great coach, so if he's good enough for Troy, he's good enough for me.

timvp
01-25-2007, 05:07 AM
Great job Garrett did with Culpepper and Harrington. Was the running back coach of the Houtson Texans not available? How about the Atlanta Falcons wide receiver coach?

samikeyp
01-25-2007, 10:06 AM
http://www.beckett.com/images/pgitems/587810201.jpg

Vinnie_Johnson
01-25-2007, 11:23 AM
He is young and smart. I don't think he is HC ready but may be in a year or so.

StylisticS
01-25-2007, 11:27 AM
Great job Garrett did with Culpepper and Harrington. Was the running back coach of the Houtson Texans not available? How about the Atlanta Falcons wide receiver coach?

What the hell could he do with those two in only one year? Culpepper is on his last leg literally and just returned breifly from a long surgery and Harrington is destined to be nothing more than a mediocre qb. Worse than Rex Grossman. Hell, Garrett didn't even want to play Culpepper. That was Saban's call.

mardigan
01-25-2007, 01:01 PM
^^^ yeah no shiit, the best Dolphins qb this year was Cleo Lemon, and that says something

mardigan
01-25-2007, 01:07 PM
I think Garrett might bring something positive to the table here. I certainly get the feeling he has fire and passion, which the coaching staff really lacked in my opinion for the last couple of years.

I don't know anything about Wade Phillips, can someone expand on what he brings to the table. Hasn't he already failed a few times as a HC?

Got Buffalo to the playoffs twice in the late 90s, 98 and 99, both teams had great defenses. All time winning %57.6, and master of the 3-4 defense, would be a great fit. Todd Haley got released from his contract today as well

Mr Dio
01-25-2007, 02:55 PM
Quite a few if not almost all thought the Saints' coach was a bad hire til the season started. Seriously, how good were the Boys when he & the Tuna were there? Now, how good is the Saints' O?

How awesome a coach was Saban supposed to be?
Or Coughlin with the NYDwarfs? A bunch of real Pissants they were.

You never really know til the games are played. :smokin

mardigan
01-25-2007, 03:04 PM
Yeah a new coach with youth and some explosive offensive play calling might be exactly what we need

Mr Dio
01-25-2007, 03:23 PM
Look at what Wade P did with the GM of SD, only put together a pretty good D.
The older coaches for the most part seem to draft for old school football. Don't get me wrong, you gotta be able to run and stop the run to win consistently but much of the newer, younger generation coaches have some awesome minds and plans of action.

mardigan
01-25-2007, 03:28 PM
The Cowboys were granted permission to speak with Phillips, that would be great if we could bring him in

mardigan
01-25-2007, 06:42 PM
Yeah the name and red hair threw me off at first too, but the more I hear about him the more I like him

Pugglekicker_21
01-25-2007, 07:07 PM
what about ron rivera?

i mean after the super bowl

Fillmoe
01-25-2007, 07:20 PM
aslong as yall dont get my boy norv turner im happy

mardigan
01-25-2007, 07:45 PM
Norv Turner was granted permission to speak to the Boys today, so your boy might be leavin. Although like I said, Wade Phillips was granted permission as well, so I definately think its between those two guys

Vinnie_Johnson
01-25-2007, 09:16 PM
Anyone but Norv bad choice just say no Jerry No!

mardigan
01-25-2007, 09:41 PM
I really dont think it will be Norv, the Garrett signing made that clear to me. Garret will run the o, so we need a defensive minded coach to run the rest, got to get Wade

bigdog
01-27-2007, 11:46 AM
I really dont think it will be Norv, the Garrett signing made that clear to me. Garret will run the o, so we need a defensive minded coach to run the rest, got to get Wade
yeah thats what i was thinking. i mean,jerry is still going to interview Norv on sunday or monday,i forgot, but since we already have an offensive minded guy,we need a defensive minded head coach.unless jerry wants a high powered offense. we've already interviewed Wade,and today Jerry is interview Gary Gibbs fromt he Saints. he used to be a defensive coach here,but then he left with Seasn Payton to New Orleans.lets see what happens,although i'd love to see them go after Ron Rivera after the Super Bowl,but Wade Phillips said that it seemed like Jerry wants to make this a short process.

kskonn
01-27-2007, 04:14 PM
I was not really sold on wade at first, but after hearing his interview after his interview with Jerry I am sold. Just hearing him talk a little bit about how differently he would use the personell on defense in his brand of 3-4. He really, really, really understands how to use players in a 3-4. That has now got me really excited about him. Plus he seems to have the personality to be able to work with Jerry, he is very diplomatic in his approach.