PDA

View Full Version : stupid computer question

tw05baller
01-24-2007, 11:21 PM
is it more energy efficient/better for the computer to shut it off when you are not using it, or leave it running all the time with an occasional reboot.

Marklar MM
01-24-2007, 11:23 PM
Just keep the damn thing running all day, and turn it off at night if you want. I usually just keep mine on all the time.

ChumpDumper
01-24-2007, 11:27 PM
Shut it off and unplug it.

tlongII
01-24-2007, 11:28 PM
You're right.

tw05baller
01-24-2007, 11:30 PM
Shut it off and unplug it.
go back to the coldplay thread and bash alvarez for wanting a piece of fergie.

NorCal510
01-25-2007, 12:02 AM
dont listen to chumphumper hes just another douche mod on ST

phyzik
01-25-2007, 12:03 AM
Honestly it depends..

I was going to type out a long ass esay but you probably wouldnt read it and I didnt want to waste the time .... I had to figure this shit out 2 years ago when I was a computer tech for division 18 at Southwest Research. Its not easy with that many computers and it trully comes down to how you use it.

Here's a good link to How Stuff Works which gives some good insight.

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question328.htm

And yes, I had to take into account how much stress would be put on the computers if we kept putting them in sleep mode... The problem is if your computer continually goes into sleep mode, even just your monitor, and you wake it up just as often.... you are killing it.

Think about it... What do you think would happen to your vehicle if you shut it off at EVERY SINGLE stop light in the city.... do you think its worth saving the gas THAT much?

Its a carefull balance that needs to be considered, for most people its best to leave the computer on all day, with no power-save features on, and shut everything off at the end of the night... You get a happy-medium between power consumption and computer lifetime. Set your updates to occure while you are at work.

I COULD get REALLY technical and get into different power supplies, mother boards, processors and such to see how much different ones consume more power but this thread could turn into a "Computers for Nerds" book and I really dont want to take the time. :lol