PDA

View Full Version : In case you hadn't already started to worry

SenorSpur
01-24-2007, 11:59 PM
ESPN reporter Marc Stein was on the local ESPN radio affiliate 103.3FM here in Dallas for his weekly visit. He had this to say about the Spurs situation. Remember I'm paraphrasing here:

"In years past the Spurs always relied on their Rodeo road trip to kick their season into high gear. After the WCSF series versus the Mavs, Pop liked to say that this team was "one bad foul" away from advancing to the conference finals and perhaps on to the NBA Finals. He scoffed at the notion when critics were calling the team "too old". Privately though, the coaching staff is extremely worried because they realize now this team doesn't have another gear. They realize their "margin for error" is very slim as opposed to teams like PHO and DAL. Pop has resigned himself that there's no way for his team to be as hungry as those other teams because the core of this group has already won 2 championships, Duncan, of course, has won 3."

So what does this say? That it took losing a bunch of games for Pop to realize what many of us have been saying all along - that he and R.C. "fucked up" by not addressing some of the roster flaws over the offseaon. Instead of electing to go again with age and experience they should have infused some youth and athleticism?

I don't know about the rest of you, but these statements from Pop are even more horrenedous to hear than it is to watch this team play. For he and R.C. (and the owner) to have ignored their responsiblities by failing to improve the team - they should be fired and Holt should simply sell the team.

bigfundamental21
01-25-2007, 12:02 AM
Marc Stein is not God and does not know what Pop is thinking. This is bullshit. Don't judge the team until it has proven that there is no other gear.

Extra Stout
01-25-2007, 12:02 AM
Why should they be fired? They are doing their jobs... payroll is under control, and when Duncan leaves, they can remain profitable even when at&t center is half empty.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-25-2007, 12:04 AM
Marc Stein is not God and does not know what Pop is thinking. This is bullshit. Don't judge the team until it has proven that there is no other gear.

Who needs for him to be God? Just watch them play. And quit being so fucking defensive.

ChumpDumper
01-25-2007, 12:05 AM
A volleyball player told me to not worry.

SenorSpur
01-25-2007, 12:06 AM

And neither are you. Believe what you want. I'll take the word of a credible NBA journalist over the pedestrian fan who isn't as well informed or as close to the source.

If you can't see that this team doesn't have a fucking snowball's chance in hell of winning the West - then you're as uninformed as you claim Stein to be.

ducks
01-25-2007, 12:08 AM
anyone can tell
the spurs are not hungry right now

spurs need a little fresh blood so the fresh blood is hungry for a title

ploto
01-25-2007, 09:36 AM
Pop has resigned himself that there's no way for his team to be as hungry as those other teams because the core of this group has already won 2 championships, Duncan, of course, has won 3."

I don't remember the team using this excuse last season.

dg7md
01-25-2007, 09:55 AM
I believe they have the talent to win, but if they can put that talent to good use, that's a different story. A major trade must be made to come out of the west (Gasol?)