PDA

View Full Version : And the cherry on top, for me at least...

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-25-2007, 02:13 AM
A horrific 4th quarter, signs of hope only to be dashed... that was the Spurs' night.

However, for me it was an unforgettable night for a different reason - tonight I got to meet Mr Robinson, The Admiral, DRob - and my second pilgrimage is complete. We spoke for a minute, and I said,

"Mr Robinson, I'm from Australia and I come here to see the Spurs play. I came in 2003 to see your testimonial, and I want to thank you for the massively positive effect you have had on my life. Thank you."

It was such a blurry moment for me that I can't tell you exactly what he said, except that it was something along the lines of, "Wow! That's wonderful, and you'r ewelcome." He was very gracious and quite awe-inspiring up close - somehow he exudes calm positivity. Then we took a photo - I'll get it up before I leave.

Anyway, that's my subjective and poetic take on the event. :dizzy

It was something I wanted to do in 2003, but DRob was too busy, and I am so thankful that it happened this time! :D

Thank you must go to Lupe the usher for looking after me and making this happen.

Courtside? check
Brett Brown? check
Practice? check
Meet Mr Robinson? check
...and that doesn't even mention the wonderful time I've had with Spurstalkers and OHTers and other random, lovely people in SA!

Thank you once again for the best of times. :toast :spin

ponky
01-25-2007, 02:25 AM
that's pretty cool, congrats!

ChumpDumper
01-25-2007, 02:28 AM
I stopped a D-League microfiber ball from beaning my girlfriend in the head.

Kori Ellis
01-25-2007, 02:41 AM
It was such a blurry moment for me that I can't tell you exactly what he said, except that it was something along the lines of, "Wow! That's wonderful, and you'r ewelcome." He was very gracious and quite awe-inspiring up close - somehow he exudes calm positivity. Then we took a photo - I'll get it up before I leave.

I'm glad you met him. And you are right, David has an amazing, gracious presence.

MoSpur
01-25-2007, 01:41 PM
Wow. Just read this. Glad your trip was completed in this way.

alamo50
01-25-2007, 04:08 PM
Nobody can be more happy than I am for you Ruff.
Where exactly did you get to talk to David?

VaSpursFan
01-25-2007, 04:20 PM
that's awesome. glad you had a great trip and actually got to see/do everything on your list.

bdictjames
01-25-2007, 04:24 PM
Good to hear that.

ShoogarBear
01-25-2007, 04:31 PM
Way cool, glad you had a good time. Now get out of the country, you're making the Spurs suck.

I'll get it up before I leave.We said you should have hooked up with the old GF.

boutons_
01-25-2007, 05:08 PM
congrats, this sorta makes up for the horrendous, wet, cold weather SA has been having during your stay. Typically, it's much warmer and drier. This is worst stretch of winter weather I can remember in the last 4 or 5 years. Thankful for the rain, but I'd much rather have it and lots more in Mar/Apr

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-26-2007, 03:02 PM
Alamo - I talked to him in the tunnel. He was coming out to watch the second half, and Lupe got my attention and pointed to him. he was chatting to someone else, so I had time to get over there, and when he finished that conversation he looked up to see me in my Aussie flag, and the rest is history.

Yeah, I did EVERYTHING this time, and it has been wonderful, however, payback is a biatch! Since Tuesday I have been really sick again, this time with a sore throat like none I've ever had before (bloody terrible, SOOOOOOOO sore) and aches. For the second time on this trip I went to the doc, and he put me on antibiotics although he said my throat didn't look that bad. WTF? I am baffled. Still feel pretty horrible. Hope I get better by tomorrow so I can at least get out and say goodbye to people tomorrow night.

kris
01-26-2007, 03:13 PM
Alamo - I talked to him in the tunnel. He was coming out to watch the second half, and Lupe got my attention and pointed to him. he was chatting to someone else, so I had time to get over there, and when he finished that conversation he looked up to see me in my Aussie flag, and the rest is history.

Yeah, I did EVERYTHING this time, and it has been wonderful, however, payback is a biatch! Since Tuesday I have been really sick again, this time with a sore throat like none I've ever had before (bloody terrible, SOOOOOOOO sore) and aches. For the second time on this trip I went to the doc, and he put me on antibiotics although he said my throat didn't look that bad. WTF? I am baffled. Still feel pretty horrible. Hope I get better by tomorrow so I can at least get out and say goodbye to people tomorrow night.

A sore throat? Even the doctor waived it off. I thought you bloody Aussies were tougher. Note to self...

Phenomanul
01-26-2007, 04:09 PM

It's pretty cool that you got to meet David Robinson. He came and spoke at one of our church conferences last year. He is truly as genuine a person a you could ever hope to meet; transparent, humble, encouraging - simply a marvelous human being.

As for your cold; just remember that our allergen base is way different than your own back home. They won't kill you, but they will make you miserable.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-26-2007, 05:21 PM
It's pretty cool that you got to meet David Robinson. He came and spoke at one of our church conferences last year. He is truly as genuine a person a you could ever hope to meet; transparent, humble, encouraging - simply a marvelous human being.

As for your cold; just remember that our allergen base is way different than your own back home. They won't kill you, but they will make you miserable.

Indeed. When I travel I generally expect to get pretty sick in the first week, but getting sick twice in a trip has never happened to me before.

I thought I got what I now have (but am now getting better - I feel markedly better in the last few hours, and my glands have gone down) at home just before Christmas, but that must have been a different strain. With international air travel, viruses generally circumnavigate the globe in a matter of weeks, but I have gone without any illness for almost 2 years before this (3 times in a month!), so I guess the viral community was just biding it's time to catch up with me. I should be set for a while now. :lol

Also, I don't think I helped things by partying for the last 2 1/2 weeks straight... :oops

I was going to try for the Riverwalk tonight, but I think it's a better idea to rest up and get myself totally well for the plane on Sunday.

Once again, THANK YOU SAN ANTONIO!!! This is my third time in your wonderful city, and each visit has been even better than the last. I have had an absolutely fantastic time, couldn't have wished for any more... okay, it would've been nice to beat the Lakers and Rockets! :lol

Sorry, the mojo from my 2003 visit has not carried on into this season.

FAREWELL friends, I WILL RETURN! ;)

veronicamae
01-26-2007, 05:58 PM
i saw you courtside at the game. i was sitting in the balcony directly above you w/ remingtonbo :)

alamo50
01-26-2007, 08:39 PM
Sorry, the mojo from my 2003 visit has not carried on into this season.

Don't worry San Antonio, my mojo will be return come playoff time.

:flag:

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-27-2007, 05:41 PM
Actually, the mojo hasn't been terrible - we've gone 5-2 while I've been here. However, we made 4 of those 5 wins a lot harder than they should have been (against poor teams), and should have beaten both the LakeDogs and Rockettes.

Our problem seems to be early 3rd and 4th quarters - we kick arse in the first half, then come out sleep-walking in the second half.

Another major difference is that we can no longer rely on Timmy in the clutch. I hate to say it, but he's hesitant, he seems to have forgotten half of his post moves, his jumper is inconsistent, and his FT shooting allows the other team to foul him in tight situations. The one thing that hasn't faded on him is his D. 4th quarters are now on Manu and Tony's shoulders almost exclusively, and that is a big change in our game.

Pugglekicker_21
01-27-2007, 06:14 PM
yep youre absolutley right

angel_luv
01-27-2007, 06:15 PM
You got to meet David Robinson! How wonderful! I'm happy for you. :)

MI21
01-28-2007, 10:04 AM
Photo's dude :)

Kori Ellis
01-28-2007, 10:07 AM
Photo's dude :)

He downloaded them onto my computer.
I will post some of them tomorrow or late tonight.