PDA

View Full Version : Spurs notebook: Duncan in line for All-Star start over Nowitzki

Kori Ellis
01-25-2007, 02:14 AM
Spurs notebook: Duncan in line for All-Star start over Nowitzki

Web Posted: 01/25/2007 12:10 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA012507.07C.BKNspurs.notebook.2114de1.html

The NBA announces its All-Star starters today, and if the last set of ballot returns go like the first four did, Tim Duncan should receive one of the two Western Conference forward spots.

When the fourth returns were released Jan. 11, Kevin Garnett led all West forwards with 1,068,168 votes while Duncan had 1,025,812. Dirk Nowitzki was third with 884,160 but still close enough to possibly make up the gap on Duncan.

Moving experience: Rockets center Dikembe Mutombo was recognized Tuesday by President George W. Bush in his State of the Union address in Washington, D.C. for his work in building the Biamba Mutombo Hospital in Kinshasa, Republic of Congo, and for his relief efforts in that country.

Mutombo sat next to first lady Laura Bush during the address. He stood and smiled broadly after Bush's remarks.

"I didn't know it was going to be like that," Mutombo said. "I knew maybe just my name was going to be mentioned. I was moved by the President talking about my work and such a great difference I am making in the world. It was such an honor."

Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy was equally moved.

"Just to be asked, or to be recognized for your humanitarian work, by the President of the United States in a State of the Union address is a highlight that Dikembe will never forget," Van Gundy said. "I know I won't forget it, either.

"That was pure joy (on his face). You usually see that pure joy on kids' (faces). But to me, they were heartfelt remarks about a wonderful guy. Dikembe has a history with the first lady.

"They actually knew about him, and it showed in his remarks."

Mutombo got acquainted with President George H.W. Bush and his family when the former President attended a fund-raising event for the NBA veteran's hospital last season.

Good cause: Mutombo will captain a team of international players competing against the French national team this summer in Paris for an exhibition game that will raise funds for the operation of the Mutombo Hospital.

Mutombo said Spurs point guard Tony Parker, a member of France's national team, has committed to the game, scheduled for July 12 in Paris.

"It is sanctioned by FIBA to raise some money for the operation of the hospital," Mutombo said. "We will try to raise $2 million for the foundation to help keep the hospital running for a couple years.

"A lot of the international players who play in the NBA will be playing against the French National team: Yao (Ming), Dirk (Nowitzki), (Pau) Gasol and me."

Asked who will pass the ball to all those post players, Mutombo laughed.

"I think we got a couple guys to handle the ball," he said.

"I am starting at point guard. It's my game. Everybody got to play behind me."

Are we there yet? The Spurs didn't arrive back in San Antonio from Boston until 5 a.m. on Tuesday.

The team first had to wait more than an hour at the airport in Boston to have its plane de-iced. Then it made an unexpected stop in Memphis to refuel because the headwinds were so strong.

ponky
01-25-2007, 02:21 AM
poor dirk, always the same...but really, as a mavs fan

http://www.bold-claim.com/includes/uploadedimages/040123_223905-1232_who-fuckin-cares.jpg

T-Pain
01-25-2007, 02:21 AM
:elephant
duncan > nowitzki

Texas_Ranger
01-25-2007, 02:22 AM
wawawiwa. Super.

johnpaulwall21
01-25-2007, 02:36 AM
Duncan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap :clap :clap :clap :wakeup

Shank
01-25-2007, 02:38 AM
Duncan must be Chinese.

timvp
01-25-2007, 02:38 AM
Duncan must be a Champion.

He is.

Shank
01-25-2007, 02:41 AM
What was the point of doing that?

kris
01-25-2007, 02:45 AM
How in the world do that many fans think Duncan deserves the starting nod over Dirk?

LakeShow
01-25-2007, 02:46 AM
I listened to someone the other day talking about Mike D'Antoni was going to start Dirk in Yao's place. :wtf I would have thought that Camby would get the call and start. Oh well..

gospursgooo
Duncan has won three NBA championships. Nowitzki has not!

Shank
Because he's a champion, Kris. A champion. C'mon now - get with the program.

johnpaulwall21
01-25-2007, 02:48 AM
yeah im always surprised that so many people vote for Tim, im glad but how is he beating all the other fowards when san antonio is not really a very big city.

Shank
01-25-2007, 02:49 AM
Duncan has won three NBA championships. Nowitzki has not!

THAT'S RIGHT, BABY! THAT's how we measure who starts and who doesn't on our All-Star teams! Fuck yes! ONLY winners, baby! None of that "I'm actually playing better than you this season" bullshit around these parts! Championships are a prerequisite of ALL of our All-Stars. Fuck the rest!

Kori Ellis
01-25-2007, 02:50 AM
yeah im always surprised that so many people vote for Tim, im glad but how is he beating all the other fowards when san antonio is not really a very big city.
Yeah, only the 7th biggest in the country :lol

But I agree that Dirk should have been voted in. I guess people in Dallas need to step up to the ballot box next season.

I also heard that he is going to be starting at center, most likely. So that's good for him. He's having a great season.

johnpaulwall21
01-25-2007, 02:53 AM
it is i thought it was only the 3rd in the state. how could it be 7th in the country well anyways they always say spurs is a small ball club and stuff like that.

LakeShow
01-25-2007, 02:57 AM
Just get over it. The allstar game is a popularity contest. Yao has been starting when Shaq was clearly the best in the game at his position. That's the way it goes and has been for years.

Kori Ellis
01-25-2007, 02:58 AM
it is i thought it was only the 3rd in the state. how could it be 7th in the country well anyways they always say spurs is a small ball club and stuff like that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_population

They say it's small market in terms of TV market. It's something like 35th (maybe lower).

johnpaulwall21
01-25-2007, 03:01 AM
well thats what i meant, ok ok i dont want to start a thing on the population.
:hat

milkyway21
01-25-2007, 03:04 AM
How in the world do that many fans think Duncan deserves the starting nod over Dirk?isn't that the reason what we voted for? we vote for Duncan to start so he starts.

BTW, it has been announced Sun's D' Antoni is going to coach the West.

SilverPlayer
01-25-2007, 03:12 AM
San Antonio is so big population size because it has annexed most of the county. Most cities haven't pursued urban sprawl the way San Antonio has. To put it into perspective Rhode island is...1,214 sq mi
(3,144* kmē)
- Width 37 miles (60 km)
- Length 48 miles (77 km)

San Antonio has annexed so much it is probably the largest (land mass wise) city in the world. It has over (412.1 sq mi). And it keeps adding to that. I will always love San Antonio, but I have driven through states faster than good old SA.

ponky
01-25-2007, 03:13 AM
How in the world do that many fans think Duncan deserves the starting nod over Dirk?

same reason a lot of people won't vote nash in as a starter

johnpaulwall21
01-25-2007, 03:16 AM
San Antonio is so big population size because it has annexed most of the county. Most cities haven't pursued urban sprawl the way San Antonio has. To put it into perspective Rhode island is...1,214 sq mi
(3,144* kmē)
- Width 37 miles (60 km)

San Antonio has annexed so much it is probably the largest (land mass wise) city in the world. It has over (412.1 sq mi). And it keeps adding to that. I will always love San Antonio, but I have driven through states faster than good old SA.

I dont want to start a whole thing on this :wakeup

Kori Ellis
01-25-2007, 03:17 AM
(3,144* kmē)
- Width 37 miles (60 km)

Yeah I get all that. My point was that San Antonio is not a small city in terms of population of people in the area, who may choose to vote Duncan into the All-Star game. I didn't really want to get into a whole population, TV market, etc. discussion. Bottomline, there's over 1 million people in the area - that's not a small city in terms of population, no matter how you dice it.

THE SIXTH MAN
01-25-2007, 03:20 AM
Although the all star game is a popularity contest, Dirk should be starting in terms of how he's playing. Like Kori said the city of Dallas or mav's nation for that matter should have stepped up.

ponky
01-25-2007, 03:20 AM
Yeah I get all that. My point was that San Antonio is not a small city in terms of population of people in the area, who may choose to vote Duncan into the All-Star game. I didn't really want to get into a whole population, TV market, etc. discussion. Bottomline, there's over 1 million people in the area - that's not a small city in terms of population, no matter how you dice it.

and they have austin...mostly a spurs city, the u.t. population has mavs and rockets fans but the locals are all spurs fans for the most part

SilverPlayer
01-25-2007, 03:23 AM

Fair enough. I just like to rant about the urban sprawl that is San Antonio....

SoCal Lakeshow
01-25-2007, 03:24 AM
All-Star games are overrated.

Supergirl
01-25-2007, 11:14 AM

He does.
The one who shouldn't be going is KG. He's the best player on a losing team, but Dirk and Tim are just as good and play on winning teams. The starting forwards in the west SHOULD be Dirk and Tim.

bdictjames
01-25-2007, 11:46 AM
And D'Antoni's coaching the West. What's he expecting to do: not make Duncan defend?

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-25-2007, 11:51 AM
Until they start handing out ballots at the BMW leasing desk up here in Dallas, Dirk is going to have problems :lol

ShoogarBear
01-25-2007, 12:11 PM
He is.Dirk is a Three-Point Champion*.

:elephant:elephant:elephant:elephant:elephant

TDMVPDPOY
01-25-2007, 12:13 PM
who wants to sex mutombo....

ShoogarBear
01-25-2007, 12:14 PM
who wants to sex mutombo....Classic.

polandprzem
01-25-2007, 12:15 PM
Virgin Island have got a big population :wow

johnpaulwall21
01-25-2007, 12:51 PM
doesnt dirt got germany and he should have all of europe voting for his ass. oh well like i said before Duncan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :wakeup

MajorMike
01-25-2007, 12:59 PM
Duncan must be Chinese.

Quit bitching and get the herms to vote if you don't like it. Make some commercial with a David Hasselhof song in it; that would be bank.

phxspurfan
01-25-2007, 01:01 PM
no way duncan should start over nowitzki. no way at all.

50 cent
01-25-2007, 01:12 PM
SA is the 7th largest city in the nation, but 35th in TV markets.

I guess the Mexicans breed a lot but can't afford to buy many TVs.

:lmao :lmao :lmao

johnpaulwall21
01-25-2007, 01:13 PM
he will start in meow mings spot

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-25-2007, 01:31 PM
no way duncan should start over nowitzki. no way at all.

There's no way Ming should even be an All-Star, but he'll be the leading vote getter until the day he retires at center. What's your point?

mabber
01-25-2007, 01:47 PM
doesnt dirt got germany and he should have all of europe voting for his ass. oh well like i said before Duncan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :wakeup

Most of Germany really only knows that Dirk is a really good player (over in the USA) in a sport they don't care about. I've talked with several people that currently live over there and, while they recognize him, most really don't care that much about basketball.

johnpaulwall21
01-25-2007, 01:54 PM
look at snack he is way less deserving of an all star spot than meow

ShoogarBear
01-25-2007, 04:28 PM
Most of Germany really only knows that Dirk is a really good player (over in the USA) in a sport they don't care about. I've talked with several people that currently live over there and, while they recognize him, most really don't care that much about basketball.Surpised the Germans didn't make the French vote for him.

nkdlunch
01-25-2007, 04:28 PM
SA is the 7th largest city in the nation, but 35th in TV markets.

I guess the Mexicans breed a lot but can't afford to buy many TVs.

:lmao :lmao :lmao

50 mexican family members live in each house, each house has 1 tv. it usually playing Univision soaps. you do the math

bdictjames
01-25-2007, 04:30 PM
Nash
Kobe
Dirk
Garnett
Duncan

book it

LakeShow
01-25-2007, 05:53 PM
Surpised the Germans didn't make the French vote for him.

:lol :lol :lol :lol

mFFL03
01-25-2007, 06:24 PM
developing: it was reported on espn radio earlier today, that Dirk may leap frog KG and Duncan for the Forward start......but more than likely take the starting C position.....

don't ask me how this makes sense

pad300
01-25-2007, 06:42 PM
I keep on hoping they'll not send him to the all-star game. Let Dirk and KG screw up their 5 days off. Let Tim get a little pissed that the rest of NBA is giving him no respect. Extra rest + Pissed Off = TD with an Edge = Bad for Spurs opponents.

mFFL03
01-25-2007, 06:49 PM
TD should be rewarded for his good play. It gives him sometime to relax with other players.....I don't think he would be one with media hoopla around him, so I expect him to be laid back.

mabber
01-25-2007, 06:52 PM
TD should be rewarded for his good play. It gives him sometime to relax with other players.....I don't think he would be one with media hoopla around him, so I expect him to be laid back.

They all have media hoopla around them. They have a really busy schedule the whole time they're there as the NBA requires them to do and attend a lot of stuff. Bottom line...everything is really out of their control during allstar weekend.

duncanchick21
01-25-2007, 07:50 PM
:clap :spin :king Good Job Timmy!!! Go Spurs Go!!!

johnpaulwall21
01-25-2007, 07:53 PM
Timmmmaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

Pugglekicker_21
01-25-2007, 07:57 PM
duncan as center but it woldnt have happened if ming was healthy