PDA

View Full Version : Bonner finding his niche in San Antonio

Kori Ellis
01-25-2007, 06:58 AM
This article was written 2 days ago. My apologies if it was already posted - I didn't see it.

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Bonner+finding+his+niche+in+ San+Antonio&articleId=cf6eb90b-56d9-48e2-8107-60a1d276e92e

Bonner finding his niche in San Antonio
By KEVIN GRAY
Staff Sports Writer
Tuesday, Jan. 23, 2007

BOSTON – Spurs forward Matt Bonner rode the exercise bike in the locker room while teammate Brent Barry took some of his best shots, verbally, before last night's game against the Celtics.

The topic was Bonner's karaoke performance on New Year's eve and how the Concord High product surrounded himself with beautiful women. Backup singers included actress Eva Longoria.

"I don't know what I can say legally about it, but I believe Matt performed a hit song titled "Pretty Fly for a White Guy,'" Barry said with barely a smile.:lol

This was serious locker room talk with teammate Tim Duncan sitting nearby. Pro athletes get tired of answering the same old questions -- and Barry had fresh material.

"For some reason, (Bonner) was able to coax five women up onto the stage with him. Obviously, with Matt's magnetic personality and flaming red hair, it's going to draw attention," Barry said.

All kidding aside, Bonner has found a family in San Antonio. They love the hard-working kid from New Hampshire and his attitude, hustle and 3-point shot.

Bonner's father, Dave, even had a seat on the team flight back to San Antonio. How's that for family treatment?

Judging by comments from assistant coach P.J. Carlesimo last night, Bonner could be playing with the Spurs for a long time. He's going to win championships, folks.

"(Coach Gregg Popovich) loves him and everyone in the organization loves him," Carlesimo, a former head coach at then-New Hampshire College, said.

"He's got a great future. I hope it's going to be in San Antonio. Hopefully when this year is over, we'll get that (contract) done long range. I think he's going to continue to be a Spur for a long time and continue to be an excellent player in the league."

Mind you these aren't the lowly Raptors for whom Bonner played the past two seasons. The Spurs are a championship-caliber team with complex systems and an assortment of roles that must be earned.

Bonner immediately struck a friendship with Barry, but it took him about two months to fit into place and fully earn the confidence of Popovich.

Just when the ex-Florida Gator began playing 18-20 minutes a game (averaging seven points), he crashed to the floor Jan. 13 against the Wizards and spent the night wondering when he'd ever play again.

Images at the doctor's office confirmed a torn MCL, which meant no surgery. The Spurs took a collective sigh of relief, especially since the 36-year-old Robert Horry hasn't provided much offense this season.

"We're going to need (Bonner) for the playoffs," Carlesimo said.

For now, Bonner will miss about three more weeks of games. Any longer and Barry might run out of jokes.

"Once you're hurt here, the team seems to forget about you," Barry said. "I'm trying to remind him that we still like him. We still like having him around. Hopefully he's not so emotionally distraught that he doesn't come back ready to play."

Added Duncan, "I'd be more than happy to talk about Matt and give you all the dirt. I'll even make something up if I have to."

Bonner, who wore a knee brace in pregame, had no trouble getting around Boston yesterday. He went on a Newbury Street shopping trip with Barry and spent $15 on a record.

Despite a $2 million salary, Bonner still counts every penny. It's all part of a down-home lifestyle that cracks up the Spurs.

"I tried to use my Subway gift card (at the record store) but it didn't work out," Bonner said.

Last night marked Bonner's fifth career trip to the Garden. By now, Concord-area fans have the game-day routine down to a science. They take a bus to Boston, enjoy the game, hang around long after the final buzzer and say hello to the 6-foot-10 redhead.

Bonner gave out more than 50 guest passes, enabling fans to mingle inside the arena, near the bench, while others were getting kicked out.

The Celtics have always given Bonner backers as many guest passes as needed. Certainly the Spurs would be just as accommodating for any of Bonner's friends making the trip to Texas.

It was tough leaving Toronto, where Bonner became a working man's hero, but he said the Spurs and their fans adopted him right away.

"Everybody here treats you like family. It's very welcoming," he said. "It's definitely a lot of fun winning games and being part of a great organization like this."

Later, Bonner rode the team bus to the airport and returned to his second home in Texas. With his father.

"They said once in a while immediate family can come on the plane. He was planning to come for a few days and visit," Matt said. "We said, "Hey, why don't you just ride with us? It'll be a lot easier.'"

Indeed, membership to the Spurs family has its privileges.

timvp
01-25-2007, 07:02 AM
Sadly enough, Bonner could very well be the best bench player on this team.

Hopefully he can come back in a few weeks.

boutons_
01-25-2007, 07:04 AM
"The Spurs are a championship-caliber team"

WTF? that should be in past tense :lol

Sam
01-25-2007, 07:28 AM
Is he going on the Rodeo trip so he can continue his rehab with the trainers or is he on his own?

VaSpursFan
01-25-2007, 10:57 AM
Sadly enough, Bonner could very well be the best bench player on this team.

Hopefully he can come back in a few weeks.

i say he was our best bench player for a while. he was hitting the 3 crashing the offensive and defensive boards and his energy was awesome and in some instances contagious. and i can't forget the sky hook :lol :lol

hopefully he won't miss a beat when he gets back...go Red Rocket!!

angel_luv
01-25-2007, 01:22 PM
Added Duncan, "I'd be more than happy to talk about Matt and give you all the dirt. I'll even make something up if I have to."

:lol

MoSpur
01-25-2007, 01:33 PM
At first I could not stand seeing him come onto the floor. However, the guy showed a lot of hustle and was hitting the threes. I really started to like his game. Hoep he comes back soon and healthy.

johnpaulwall21
01-25-2007, 01:48 PM
at points during games he looked like the best out there. i might get bashed but he had the toughness the spurs need.

MoSpur
01-25-2007, 01:58 PM
at points during games he looked like the best out there. i might get bashed but he had the toughness the spurs need.

I agree. when he played, he played with a lot of toughness. At least it seemed like that to me.

tlongII
01-25-2007, 02:06 PM
A tremendous cluch shooter. I wouldn't want anyone else with the ball with the game on the line.

bdictjames
01-25-2007, 02:12 PM
He hustles for rebounds, it's not hard for anyone to like what he's done

wildbill2u
01-25-2007, 06:01 PM
I truly believe the Spurs will provide the training and encouragement to develop this kid's defensive skills and intensity. He's never played with a Team like the Spurs before where team defense is a religion.

He'll buy into it and turn that energy loose on defense. I'm gonna love watching him and Manu harass folks on the court in the 4th quarter.

ArgSpursFan
01-25-2007, 06:09 PM
He´got a great actitude on the floor,but I don´t think he´ll take the team to the next level as far as bench contribution.The bench players suck so much this year that anybody could be a good contribution for this team right now.

mardigan
01-25-2007, 06:59 PM
He plays with something the rest of the Spurs seem to have forgotten about, heart. I hope he can get back soon, because he will help immensely in the playoffs

johnpaulwall21
01-25-2007, 07:02 PM
yeah cause he hasnt won shit being in toronto.

mardigan
01-25-2007, 07:06 PM
yeah cause he hasnt won shit being in toronto.
What does that mean?

johnpaulwall21
01-25-2007, 07:08 PM
that means he has more fire to accomplish something than the rest of the spurs cause he hasnt tasted gold yet.

mardigan
01-25-2007, 07:38 PM
Got ya

ChumpDumper
01-25-2007, 07:43 PM
Judging by comments from assistant coach P.J. Carlesimo last night, Bonner could be playing with the Spurs for a long time. He's going to win championships, folks.

"(Coach Gregg Popovich) loves him and everyone in the organization loves him," Carlesimo, a former head coach at then-New Hampshire College, said.

"He's got a great future. I hope it's going to be in San Antonio. Hopefully when this year is over, we'll get that (contract) done long range. I think he's going to continue to be a Spur for a long time and continue to be an excellent player in the league."Bonner isn't injured. He's being held out to drive his value down.

Pugglekicker_21
01-25-2007, 07:44 PM
whats the game they're gauging he'll be back by or is it still too early?

Sam
01-25-2007, 08:44 PM
whats the game they're gauging he'll be back by or is it still too early?
After all star break was the early prediction.

ploto
01-25-2007, 10:26 PM
Bonner seems like a great guy but I am having trouble believing that a long-term deal with the Spurs is in his future.

ChumpDumper
01-25-2007, 10:27 PM
If the price is right, why not?

johnpaulwall21
01-26-2007, 12:50 AM
yeah the spurs will fuck up and he will leave cause of their cheapness. damn that HOLTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :pctoss