PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Loss to Rockets Benefits Spurs in Long Run

freemeat
01-25-2007, 07:44 AM
Compared to what I've seen in my Spurs the last nine years, at this point in the season, they kinda suck NOW. Other teams have just seemed to figure out how to get by our offense...which has been fine for a while, since you survive by D.

Here's the golden-lining for the rest of the Spurs' season as I see it:

They lost tonight, but showed something I haven't seen all year. If it weren't for a few missed shots late, they coulda won...

Put it this way...

The Boston game the other night I consider a loss, cause we were up by 23, but won by 4 (virtue of the clock).

Tonight, for some reason, the boys showed some fire when down by 12...they lost because they didn't have the same determination throughout the entire game (if they had it in the first, they would have been up by 30). Pop said it right the other day: "Phoenix and Dallas have the motivation and we don't...and I understand that."

Watching Timmy walk off the court tonight in a game that we should have won, makes me think that things are changing NOW....Timmy was obviously very upset, which I haven't seen so far this year. He's getting into playoff mode. He walked off the court as if he was planning his next attack. I can't possibly think that he's not geting ready for it all now...

Listen here: I'm a basketball fan first...a Spurs fan second. Dallas and Phoenix are playing outta their minds. But, should the Spurs face either in the playoffs, it's obvious that SA would win...

I'M CALLING IT: SPURS WIN THE WEST!

Any takers?

ponky
01-25-2007, 07:54 AM
Compared to what I've seen in my Spurs the last nine years, at this point in the season, they kinda suck NOW. Other teams have just seemed to figure out how to get by our offense...which has been fine for a while, since you survive by D.

They lost tonight, but showed something I haven't seen all year. If it weren't for a few missed shots late, they coulda won...

Put it this way...

The Boston game the other night I consider a loss, cause we were up by 23, but won by 4 (virtue of the clock).

Tonight, for some reason, the boys showed some fire when down by 12...they lost because they didn't have the same determination throughout the entire game (if they had it in the first, they would have been up by 30). Pop said it right the other day: "Phoenix and Dallas have the motivation and we don't...and I understand that."

Watching Timmy walk off the court tonight in a game that we should have won, makes me think that things are changing NOW....Timmy was obviously very upset, which I haven't seen so far this year. He's getting into playoff mode. He walked off the court as if he was planning his next attack. I can't possibly think that he's not geting ready for it all now...

Listen here: I'm a basketball fan first...a Spurs fan second. Dallas and Phoenix are playing outta their minds. But, should the Spurs face either in the playoffs, it's obvious that SA would win...

Any takers?

First off, I'm not trying to bash you just because I'm a Mavs fan and you're a Spurs fan. I too love NBA ball and wish to see good, competitive basketball.

That said, Duncan was mad because he played great ball and didn't get the win...as he did in the WC semis. I'd be mad too if I played great and my teammates didn't help me get the win. Hell, i get mad on Xbox when this happens...which is often!

I don't think the Spurs suck, look at their record, it's very good and the only team I could see surpassing them now aside from the Mavs/Suns is the Lakers. I think come playoff time they will have it together at least a bit better than now but even so, I don't see how at this point in time, it is OBVIOUS that the Spurs would beat either the Suns or the Mavs. If you wanna use the argument that the Spurs beat the Suns two years ago in the playoffs fine, I'll give you that. However, during the WC semis, Duncan played awesome basketball like tonight and the Spurs didn't manage to beat the Mavs. I think what surprises me most about the Spurs is how many home games they've lost this season and they allowed the Rockets to sweep the home games and the Cavs to sweep the series. They may have struggles in the past, but not like this...at least from what I can remember. I think the rodeo trip will either make or break the Spurs in terms of their mindset for this season but then again, it's all just speculation.

upTD
01-25-2007, 08:21 AM
Pop said it right the other day: "Phoenix and Dallas have the motivation and we don't...and I understand that."

what a shame POP said like this!

Phoenix and Dallas win because they have been organized properly and have better players in a whole.

And spurs lose because spurs have seldom available players

Due to motivation?
just a pretext to smooth away his duty.

and we know that.

boutons_
01-25-2007, 08:48 AM
"If it weren't for a few missed shots late"

bullshit, they shot under 40% for nearly the entire game. Had the Spurs shot their avg 47%, they win.

The Spurs live and die by the 3G, and last night were 2/16, 12.5%. vs their normal 39%.

The Spurs allowed FG 50%, which was basically Rafer and Tracy jumpshooting.

The Spurs won RBs!!, TOs, points in the paint, but couldn't hit shit FG 43%, and couldn't stop the Rockets' 2 hot jump shooters.

Dirk Nowitzki
01-25-2007, 09:39 AM

Put it this way...

Any takers?

Unless the Spurs happen to make some amazing trades in the next month, you wont go further then the 2nd round if even that. If you were to face a healthy Rocket team in round 1, I could see Houston even winning that series (They would give us fits as well) or the Lakers nearly pushing you the distance. I really wish the Mavs could get the Spurs again in the playoffs but now that seems like a pipe dream. :depressed

George Gervin's Afro
01-25-2007, 09:42 AM
Unless the Spurs happen to make some amazing trades in the next month, you wont go further then the 2nd round if even that. If you were to face a healthy Rocket team in round 1, I could see Houston even winning that series (They would give us fits as well) or the Lakers nearly pushing you the distance. I really wish the Mavs could get the Spurs again in the playoffs but now that seems like a pipe dream. :depressed

At this point you should not get any argument from any spurs fan on this board. Of course you will get an argument from the ultra homers..

cheguevara
01-25-2007, 11:03 AM
what a shame POP said like this!

Phoenix and Dallas win because they have been organized properly and have better players in a whole.

And spurs lose because spurs have seldom available players

Due to motivation?
just a pretext to smooth away his duty.

and we know that.

Pop, if you as their coach cannot motivate them, resign you loser!!! let someone else try

Slomo
01-25-2007, 11:09 AM
Exactly it will make us better, just like the loss to the Lakers did before that. And the one to the Bulls, the Mavericks and the Wolves...

Come playoff time we're going to be so good its going to kill us...

DubMcDub
01-25-2007, 11:36 AM
I was glad when they lost actually because if they had won, they wouldnt tweak anything. Now they know they must change a lot of things.

Are you guys all going to break down crying when a trade doesnt happen? Then all these horrible losses will have been for nothing.

ploto
01-25-2007, 11:38 AM
Exactly it will make us better, just like the loss to the Lakers did before that. And the one to the Bulls, the Mavericks and the Wolves...

My thoughts exactly.

bdictjames
01-25-2007, 11:42 AM
In short: Playoff Duncan is back!!!

ShoogarBear
01-25-2007, 11:43 AM

Come playoff time we're going to be so good its going to kill us...:lol

Mr. Body
01-25-2007, 12:18 PM

Kind of how a collapsing bridge makes it stronger?

KB24
01-25-2007, 01:08 PM
How do you beat the ALMIGHTY SPURS while committing 20 Turnovers?

Houston we have a Problem!!!!!!!!!!!!

johnpaulwall21
01-25-2007, 02:01 PM
shut da fuck up

polandprzem
01-25-2007, 02:03 PM

:lol

Post of the season :D

Extra Stout
01-25-2007, 02:09 PM

I think you might be a prodigy.

EVAY
01-25-2007, 02:23 PM
Pop, if you as their coach cannot motivate them, resign you loser!!! let someone else try

I happen to agree. Pop gives away his OWN mindset when he says he understands why they aren't motivated. One big problem we have his year is that Pop isn't motivated. it makes me want to quote Pop hmself to himself. First quote, regarding not having enough motivation..."NOBODY CARES!!!"
Second Pop quote, usually directed at refs by Pop, "JUST DO YOUR JOB". and your job, Pop, includes getting your players mentally prepared for the game. You haven't done it this year at all well.

RC's Boss
01-25-2007, 02:33 PM
wah wah wah wah wah wah

baseline bum
01-25-2007, 03:10 PM

Shit... look how good that game 7 loss to Dallas has made us!

bdictjames
01-25-2007, 04:27 PM
I love the article, really. Spurs fans should be happy we could get this team fixed up during this rodeo trip.