PDA

View Full Version : Bush / SC Smoking Gun?

MajorMike
01-25-2007, 09:28 AM
Report: Taped talks confirm Bush, family received gifts
Jan. 24, 2007
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

SAN DIEGO -- The existence of taped conversations between Reggie Bush or members of his family and an investor in a failed sports marketing agency could confirm the New Orleans Saints' running back received cash and gifts while playing for Southern California, a website reported Wednesday.

A federal investigation into extortion claims by Bush and his family revealed the existence of the taped conversations, according to the website's report.

The U.S. District Attorney's office in San Diego has issued grand jury subpoenas to multiple witnesses in the probe, the website reported. According to a copy of a subpoena obtained by the website, at least one of the witnesses was asked to hand over "any recordings in your possession of conversations between Lloyd Lake and Reggie Bush, Denise Griffin, or LaMar Griffin."

Lloyd Lake, who founded a sports marketing agency in hopes of landing Bush as its first client, is the subject of a grand jury probe into the extortion claims. Denise Griffin is Bush's mother, and LaMar Griffin is Bush's stepfather.

A website, citing unidentified sources, reported LaMar Griffin spoke with federal investigators in the spring of 2006 and acknowledged the existence of the tapes.

When asked in the past about the allegations of receiving inappropriate extra benefits, Bush has insisted that he and his family did nothing wrong.

Multiple sources told the website that Lake made the tapes in late 2005 to protect his financial investment if Bush backed out of a deal to sign with New Era Sports & Entertainment, founded by Lake and San Diego businessman Michael Michaels. In January 2005, Bush signed with agent Joel Segal and marketing agent Mike Ornstein.

On Jan. 12, 2007, Lake's mother, Barbara Gunner, testified before a grand jury, according to the website's report, that she had heard portions of tapes made by her son, in which LaMar Griffin states Bush intended to repay New Era Sports "their money," as well as for a car purchased for him.

"I respectfully decline to comment on the media frenzy regarding Reggie Bush, his family and his college career," David Cornwell, Bush's attorney, told the website on Wednesday.

Lake told a website in August 2006 that he contributed a portion of the cash and gifts allegedly given to Bush and his family as part of an agreement to represent the 2005 Heisman Trophy winner when he signed an NFL contract. In September, the website reported Ornstein also supplied Bush and his family with gifts while he was still at USC.

According to the website, nearly $280,000 in cash, rent and gifts was allegedly given to Bush and his family.

The Pac-10 Conference and the NCAA are investigating whether Bush or his family broke NCAA rules and compromised his eligibility during the 2004 and '05 seasons by taking extra benefits.

If Bush is found to have violated NCAA rules, USC, which won a national title in '04 and played for the '05 championship, could be sanctioned.

Also, the Heisman Trophy Trust requires players be in good standing with the NCAA to be eligible for the award given to college football's top player. If Bush is ruled ineligible by the NCAA, he could be in danger of having his Heisman taken away.

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Mr Dio
01-25-2007, 10:51 AM
Sucks, but this stuff happens.

Sad to see but we're more than likely going to see just how dishonest some close to or part of the SC program are. IMO the media could paint Reggie to be this generation's Eric Dickerson.

Bye bye #1 recruiting class. :lol

tlongII
01-25-2007, 12:13 PM
Sucks, but this stuff happens.

Sad to see but we're more than likely going to see just how dishonest some close to or part of the SC program are. IMO the media could paint Reggie to be this generation's Eric Dickerson.

Bye bye #1 recruiting class. :lol

This stuff happens at UT too. I don't expect it to have any impact whatsoever on USC's recruiting class, although I wish it would.

KewlKat00
01-25-2007, 02:48 PM
i definitely think something happened. i just hope it isn't to the degree that yahoo is reporting. that's disappointing. but i still don't think usc knew. if they did, wouldn't pete have left for what he considered the perfect job in miami?

i have a few questions though. why is yahoo the only outlet pursuing this? you would think that a few others would also because it could potentially be a big story with the right evidence uncovered. and why are all their sources unidentified? and it is almost like clockwork that yahoo reveals something new every few months. it is all so weird.

i don't see this having a huge impact on the recruiting class. if all goes as planned we will have a solid recruiting class. sure we missed out on some players. some of them were long shots and some of them we should have secured. but we got even more of our targets. and we weren't going to have the #1 class anyway because we don't have enough openings.

MajorMike
01-25-2007, 03:24 PM
There lies the double edged sword. Should SC be punished because one of their folk did some bad things (supposedly) unknown to them? Didn't Michigan get punished for what Chris Webber did to them?

mardigan
01-25-2007, 03:34 PM
Yeah Michigan got hit hard, and they have never been the same. Programs usually lose scholarships for stuff like this, and if found guilty, Bush will lose his Heisman, and USCs records will get wiped clean. Not good for USC if this stuff turns up true, will definately affect their recruiting

LB7
01-25-2007, 04:17 PM
i definitely think something happened. i just hope it isn't to the degree that yahoo is reporting. that's disappointing. but i still don't think usc knew. if they did, wouldn't pete have left for what he considered the perfect job in miami?

i have a few questions though. why is yahoo the only outlet pursuing this? you would think that a few others would also because it could potentially be a big story with the right evidence uncovered. and why are all their sources unidentified? and it is almost like clockwork that yahoo reveals something new every few months. it is all so weird.

i don't see this having a huge impact on the recruiting class. if all goes as planned we will have a solid recruiting class. sure we missed out on some players. some of them were long shots and some of them we should have secured. but we got even more of our targets. and we weren't going to have the #1 class anyway because we don't have enough openings.
This was on ESPN.com and the one that Capt. Mike showed in the thread was from CBSsportsline. Yahoo is not the only one writing about it now.

johngateswhiteley
01-25-2007, 04:17 PM
...i predict nothing happens, nothing significant that is.

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-25-2007, 04:32 PM
I was wondering when JGW was going to post this USC news.

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-25-2007, 04:33 PM
...i predict nothing happens, nothing significant that is.

Well, luckily for you, if something significant does happen with the Bush investigation, it will only rescind one national championship.

johngateswhiteley
01-25-2007, 04:39 PM
Well, luckily for you, if something significant does happen with the Bush investigation, it will only rescind one national championship.

nope, none of them will be rescinded. watch...

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-25-2007, 04:46 PM
nope, none of them will be rescinded. watch...

That's why I said "if."

Ballcox
01-25-2007, 04:59 PM
^I'm gonna laugh my ass off if usc gets a national championship taken away because of Bush's infractions. It would be high entertainment to watch jgw find a way to spin that in favor of usc. I think he could do it, it would take some time, but he seems capable of spinning any piece of information in favor of his team. :lol

johngateswhiteley
01-25-2007, 05:02 PM
^I'm gonna laugh my ass off if usc gets a national championship taken away because of Bush's infractions. It would be high entertainment to watch jgw find a way to spin that in favor of usc. I think he could do it, it would take some time, but he seems capable of spinning any piece of information in favor of his team. :lol

i'm talented.

degenerate_gambler
01-25-2007, 05:16 PM
This story just won't die...but I have a hard time believing the NCAA will do anything about it even if what's being reported turns out to be fact.

I'm more interested in seeing the NCAA report when it's released in March on their investigation into Oklahoma/Big Red Sports/Bomar & Quinn, etc..

MajorMike
01-25-2007, 05:27 PM
I wish

j-6
01-25-2007, 06:01 PM
According to the website, nearly $280,000 in cash, rent and gifts was allegedly given to Bush and his family.

Chris Webber got 280K from Ed Martin back when he and the rest of the Fab Five was at Michigan. They never won a title, but didn't Michigan have to vacate their Final Four appearances a couple of years ago?

mardigan
01-25-2007, 06:39 PM
Yea, had to take down their banners and lost scholarships, if this is proven it will hurt USC

KewlKat00
01-25-2007, 06:52 PM
This was on ESPN.com and the one that Capt. Mike showed in the thread was from CBSsportsline. Yahoo is not the only one writing about it now.

i didn't say they were the only ones writing about it. i said they are the only ones investigating it. all the other articles are citing yahoo.

tlongII
01-25-2007, 07:27 PM
I don't see any impact to recruiting even if they take some titles away from SC. It only hurts when they take away scholarships and they won't do that to any significant degree.

mardigan
01-25-2007, 07:49 PM
I don't see any impact to recruiting even if they take some titles away from SC. It only hurts when they take away scholarships and they won't do that to any significant degree.
Why do you think the NCAA wouldnt take away scholarships if they can link the 2? Im almost sure they would, if they can prove Bush took all this shit

KewlKat00
01-25-2007, 08:22 PM
it's hard to say what will happen since we don't know the circumstances (and probably won't for years because the case could drag on). and since the ncaa will be eventually deciding who knows. the thing that i think will help is that this had nothing to to with usc or recruiting him to usc. in fact, it was to get him from usc. that being said i think usc will get punished in some way (probation, scholarships) since the ncaa can't punish reggie, but they will want at least a little slap on the wrist. i would be upset and angry if records were vacated and wins forfeited. the ncaa can take those away, but the bcs and ap would have to decide about the national championships since they govern those (whereas the ncaa gives out the basketball trophy). whatever happens at least i would still have my memories. not to mention everyone else would still have the memory of usc destroying ou in the orange bowl. whatever selfish stuff lamar griffin did, in my opinion, didn't help the team's performance.

mookie2001
01-25-2007, 09:29 PM
take away his Heisman I SAIDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, and their 3 national titles!, it happened to Florida in 96 right?, and Michigan in bball

mookie2001
01-25-2007, 09:32 PM
put the fours up!

tlongII
01-25-2007, 10:38 PM
Why do you think the NCAA wouldnt take away scholarships if they can link the 2? Im almost sure they would, if they can prove Bush took all this shit

Because the transactions were with a prospective agent. This wasn't a problem with school boosters. You cannot claim USC had a lack of institutional control if you're talking about agents and not boosters. The NCAA yanks scholarships when it identifies a lack of institutional control.

LaMarcus Bryant
01-25-2007, 10:49 PM
If you are winning in college football you are cheating. That applies to all winners. But if you get caught, it will affect your program. Hopefully they get all 5 of their titles taken away, and bush's awards. Classic.

johngateswhiteley
01-25-2007, 10:51 PM
Because the transactions were with a prospective agent. This wasn't a problem with school boosters. You cannot claim USC had a lack of institutional control if you're talking about agents and not boosters. The NCAA yanks scholarships when it identifies a lack of institutional control.

...yeah, i am not really worried. plus, look at the source.

Mr Dio
01-26-2007, 01:54 AM
This stuff happens at UT too. I don't expect it to have any impact whatsoever on USC's recruiting class, although I wish it would.

Really, so you know of a scandal or news story to break tomorrow or next? :lol
UT boneheads are into weed and heat man! They're either packing heat or packing blunts. :lol

Mr Dio
01-26-2007, 01:59 AM
Am I the only one to look at JGW's avatar and absolutely LOVE the way JGW's long hard wood splits that black pussy right down the middle?

johngateswhiteley
01-26-2007, 02:04 AM
Am I the only one to look at JGW's avatar and absolutely LOVE the way JGW's long hard wood splits that black pussy right down the middle?

hey, thats how i do it. but i'd appreciate it if you didn't talk about my girl like that. i love exotic chicks...

Mr Dio
01-26-2007, 11:30 AM
hey, thats how i do it. but i'd appreciate it if you didn't talk about my girl like that. i love exotic chicks...

No prob bro, it's obvious you're smart enough to not discriminate and that you have an EOC.
Equal Opportunity Cock.

Speaking of, I saw the Euro MTV awards and saw a girl named Rihanna...WOW!
Yes people, I just now saw her because I don't watch MTV.

lil'mo
01-26-2007, 02:38 PM
MISTA DIOOOO strikes again

Extra Stout
01-26-2007, 03:42 PM
If Bush loses his Heisman, would there just be no record of a Heisman winner from that year, or does it go retroactively to St. Vince?

Mr Dio
01-26-2007, 04:16 PM
If Bush loses his Heisman, would there just be no record of a Heisman winner from that year, or does it go retroactively to St. Vince?

I think VY would get it meaning, the award went to the most deserving for that yr.

j-6
01-26-2007, 06:16 PM
At this point, I don't think anything bad is going to happen. Sarkasian and Carroll both had opportunities to leave for more money in the pros - and to get out of a program catching heat - and stuck around. USC has eight 5-star prospects coming in and none have reneged. They'll probably be the top team in the country when the season starts, and they'll probably have players on the payroll.

I bet that Heisman Trophy looks really good in Reggie's living room in New Orleans, but I'd also bet he'd forfeit that sucker in a heartbeat to help protect the program that took care of his family while he was in college. If it comes to that, that is. Ditto for paying $280K to charity or the NCAA or whatever to cover the house scandal.

In the grand scheme of all things NCAA football related, does this investigation really matter? It's yesterday's news, and I'm not naive enough to think that UT or OU or even Florida doesn't take special care of special players. The NCAA syndicate can take away SC's '04 title and the Downtown Athletic Club can ask for Reggie's Heisman back, but it doesn't change the fact that the Trojans kicked the shit out of Oklahoma (who after hearing the Bomar saga certainly has/had more players on the take) and won on the field. And Bush's '05 season - on the field - was certainly Heismanesque.

The NCAA is as corrupt as the upper-echelon teams it presides over. I would have screamed bloody murder if Reggie's momma's house would have been discovered and reported during the season. It didn't come out until after he declared for the draft. Threatening sanctions and penalties when the offender has moved on is asinine. Now you're penalizing kids for the actions of their predeccesors when they only get four years of eligibility. And rewriting record books after the fact due to off field actions is equally dumb. Use some of those tax-exempt billions and bust these guys while they're still violating NCAA rules, Myles Brand.

j-6
01-26-2007, 06:20 PM
I think VY would get it meaning, the award went to the most deserving for that yr.

I think it adds to the legend of Vince Young that he didn't win a Heisman that might be tainted, and I certainly hope he wouldn't accept it if offered.

Mr Dio
01-26-2007, 07:11 PM
I think it adds to the legend of Vince Young that he didn't win a Heisman that might be tainted, and I certainly hope he wouldn't accept it if offered.

No doubt.
Seeing what VY has done in college and the NFL he'd prob tell them he got the trophy that means the most that yr. The SEARS trophy in the Rose Bowl. :smokin

LaMarcus Bryant
01-26-2007, 07:14 PM
Don't give VY the trophy, he got the only one that matters.
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/2006/01/05/gallery.rosebowl/006714897.jpg

Beaverfuzz
01-27-2007, 02:34 PM
Chris Webber got 280K from Ed Martin back when he and the rest of the Fab Five was at Michigan. They never won a title, but didn't Michigan have to vacate their Final Four appearances a couple of years ago?

TIME OUT!

Marklar MM
01-28-2007, 01:51 PM
I would hate to be the guy to drop the trophy. :)