PDA

View Full Version : ManWHO GiNOBODY is in trouble

Fillmoe
01-25-2007, 05:30 PM
NBA Might Penalize Players for `Flopping,' League Official Says

By Scott Soshnick

Jan. 25 (Bloomberg) -- National Basketball Association players who fake fouls might soon be penalized themselves, a league official said.

The NBA is studying how often feigned fouls, known as ``flops,'' occur and whether officials can consistently tell the difference between actual fouls and embellishments, said Stu Jackson, the executive vice president for basketball operations.

``They're really difficult to determine in real time. They're meant to fool an official,'' Jackson told reporters today. ``Are we going to be wrong more times than not? It's tough, but we're looking at it.''

FIBA, the governing body for international basketball, allows referees to impose a technical foul for flopping, a penalty that Jackson said the NBA is considering. Other sports, including soccer and hockey, also allow officials to penalize players who embellish fouls.

``We have so many more plays than you do in a football or soccer game and in a more intimate environment,'' said Jackson, who didn't offer a timetable for a decision.

Jackson met with reporters in New York to discuss the league's officiating program.

To contact the reporter on this story: Scott Soshnick in New York at
[email protected]

Source: www.bloomberg.com

mFFL03
01-25-2007, 05:33 PM
ahhhh hahaha. Wow it took players like Manu to get this enacted. Years and Years after Karl Malone and Vlade Divac.

And don't start the "Devin Harris is the biggest flopper" crap. He consistently sacrifices his body with charges (which are more often called as blocks) and slashes to the basket.

If you are going to call him a flopper....look who his coach is, and think about who coached Avery.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-25-2007, 05:36 PM
Manu is now the league leader in T's.

Bruno
01-25-2007, 05:36 PM
Devin Harris is the biggest flopper in the league.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-25-2007, 05:37 PM
"Devin Harris is the biggest flopper" crap. He definitely is in the top 8, homer. If this rule goes into effect, it'll just slow the flow of the game even more.

MajorMike
Funny a queen should care about it. Vlade practically invented flopping and Peja certainly learned a thing or 2 from him.

Dirk41MVP
Manu is now the league leader in T's.

closely followed by his girlfriend Oberta
:lol

Fillmoe
01-25-2007, 05:38 PM
Honestly I think its a bad idea.... There is no way to tell what a flop is unless its clearly obvious. And even then its hard to tell. But 7' 250 lb Centers should not fall down when a 6'1 180 lb guard runs into them.

Kori Ellis
01-25-2007, 05:39 PM
Manu actually hasn't flopped as much this year as in the past (though he still flops). Bruce and Oberto flop a lot too.

Didn't an article come out about this last year too saying they were going to stop the flop, and then nothing changed?

Fillmoe
01-25-2007, 05:39 PM
And Devin Harris does flop as well. Just like Vlade used to flop.... I'm not biased... a flopper is a flopper and Devin Harris is a flopper. At times he does get in front of players with his speed and I give him credit for that, but he flops a lot as well.

Spurminator
01-25-2007, 05:45 PM
Good.

Hopefully the penalty will be in the form of a fine. I'd rather league officials make a decision with the help of video than leave it up to the refs to decide.

Dirk41MVP
01-25-2007, 05:53 PM
HAHAHAHHAHA check the picture on the front page of hoopshype..

http://hoopshype.com/

hahahahaha, who is it ?, I really can't tell... lmao

mFFL03
01-25-2007, 05:59 PM
HAHAHAHA.

Yea I admit Devin Flops, but I'd say once or twice every 2 or 3 games. Like you said his speed allows him to get anywhere on the court. He can get there, but not maintain his balance correctly. Sure the arms waving in the air are sometimes a lil overdone, but when you fall down backwards....what would you do with your arms?

Kori Ellis
01-25-2007, 06:00 PM
October 2005, they said they were going to start penalizing flopping then too.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26710&highlight=Flopping

Fillmoe
01-25-2007, 06:01 PM
October 2005, they said they were going to start penalizing flopping then too.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26710&highlight=Flopping

Hmm, good find. I didn't know that.

G-Money
01-25-2007, 06:02 PM
looks like no more stupid calls going Wades way. Now we will see that he is really a 14 ppg player.

T Park
01-25-2007, 06:03 PM
christ.

the trolls just wont freakin go away!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SAtown
01-25-2007, 06:04 PM
When the Mavs exit the playoffs, the trolls will leave the forum.

phyzik
01-25-2007, 06:33 PM
And Drik isnt a flopper, right?

FromWayDowntown
01-25-2007, 06:43 PM
I wonder if the anti-flopping notion applies only to defensive players, or if it will apply with equal force to offensive players who continually embellish (or fake) contact in an effort to draw calls.

Bob Lanier
01-25-2007, 06:50 PM
You mean Iverson, Wade, Billups, and Ginobili would get the same treatment as Jason Collins and Raja Bell?

:lol

mFFL03
01-25-2007, 06:55 PM
I wonder if the anti-flopping notion applies only to defensive players, or if it will apply with equal force to offensive players who continually embellish (or fake) contact in an effort to draw calls.

Good point. In that case Dirk and Duncan would obviously suffer from this rule.

I'm not gonna lie, Dirk will throw up his arms if he gets his forearm hit to get to the line. Then again so does Duncan.

Think about it....if you are actually fouled.....one hand should be raised over the other....someone shouldn't have 2 arms straight up in the air. When you play basketball and its a strip....do you automatically shoot your arms up to the sky as if you were to shoot?

Hell no, your arms and hands realize you don't have the ball anymore, and they immediately go down looking for it.

I feel bad when Dirk gets these calls, but he know its the rules.

Kori Ellis
01-25-2007, 06:57 PM
And Drik isnt a flopper, right?

No. Dirk is a flailer.

Fillmoe
01-25-2007, 06:58 PM
christ.

the trolls just wont freakin go away!!!!!!!!!!!!!

READ before you come with that troll bullshit.......

johnpaulwall21
01-25-2007, 07:03 PM
i wonder how this is going to work, how will they penalize them?

SAtown
01-25-2007, 07:06 PM
i wonder how this is going to work, how will they penalize them?

Technical fouls I believe. If they're comparing these "penalties" to the likes of soccer (yellow and red cards), then I'd imagine they'd penalize the players with Ts. Maybe personal fouls though, who really knows

lefty
01-25-2007, 08:27 PM
Won't happen ; refs have a hard time seeing the truth

Melmart1
01-25-2007, 08:31 PM
I can't see how they can possibly enforce this. Flopping, flailing etc is a matter of perception, the uneven application of this would send the league into reactionary mode once the criticisms come out. The refs miss enough calls without having one more thing to watch out for.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-25-2007, 08:36 PM
Eh, they'll penalize it 2-3 weeks, the Player's Association will file a lawsuit, and the league will back off. Not much to see here.

Don Quixote
01-25-2007, 08:43 PM
What is up with the anti-Manu-ism on this board? It's baffling enough that some Spurs "fans" are like that, but really ... what does Mav/King/Knick/whoever fan have against him?

I guarantee that if Manu were on YOUR team, you would absolutely love him.

Is it jealousy talking? I mean, 2 NBA championship rings, an Olympic gold medal ...

I guess fans of the Mavericks, Kings, Celtics, Knicks (in recent years), wouldn't recognize a champion if they saw one.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-25-2007, 08:54 PM
What is up with the anti-Manu-ism on this board? It's baffling enough that some Spurs "fans" are like that, but really ... what does Mav/King/Knick/whoever fan have against him?

Is it jealousy talking? I mean, 2 NBA championship rings, an Olympic gold medal ...

I guess fans of the Mavericks, Kings, Celtics, Knicks (in recent years), wouldn't recognize a champion if they saw one.

Can you even read? I don't see many Spurs fans around here that hate Manu. :lol

Don Quixote
01-25-2007, 08:58 PM
Can you even read? I don't see many Spurs fans around here that hate Manu. :lol

Well, there are a few Spurs "fans" out there that hate Manu. Like my brother-in-law, until he became a Suns fan. (I may need a ruling on this too).

My point, though, was that the fans of other teams hating on Manu must have more to do with their jealousy than with anything he actually does.

When Mavs or Suns Fan bring home the Trophy, then they can hate on Manu. Until then, all they can do is watch us and be jealous.

Cherry
01-25-2007, 09:10 PM

People forgets that

KB24
01-25-2007, 09:31 PM

You SPURS fans do the same shit with Kobe.

KOBE OWNS THE spurs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gtownspur
01-25-2007, 10:54 PM
You SPURS fans do the same shit with Kobe.

Nwo shaq.

Sorry Hobe gets pwned by Bruce.

Don Quixote
01-26-2007, 11:07 PM
You SPURS fans do the same s*%% with Kobe.

Ummm ... I never mentioned Laker fans as folks who can't recognize a champion.

The Lakers (well, at least Kobe) won three titles not too long ago. So their fans can certainly know a champion when they see one. That is, if they're not in the county tank after another riot, setting things on fire and looting because their team won and all.

I'm sure even the Lakers, who are having a good season and playing well, would love Manu on their team. That guy plays his heart out every night, and adds to that hustle considerable skill. As for some of their fans, well, following a great team isn't the same thing as having a little class, particuarly on the board of a team that ENDED their dynasty and sent Fisher and Kobe home crying.

Tek_XX
01-26-2007, 11:40 PM
I think most refs can tell the difference between a flop and actual contact, but they continue to give out oscars for the best performers. The league needs to just tell the refs to stop giving the players these calls instead of threatening players with technicals.

sprrs
01-26-2007, 11:43 PM
The league is kind of contradicting itself. They want a faster paced game, so they give slashers more leeway, and now they want to stop flopping, which takes away the advantadge of -most- slashers. Which way are they going here?

But yes, as Kori said, they said the same thing last year too, and nothing changed.

LaMarcus Bryant
01-27-2007, 12:09 AM
No. Dirk is a flailer.

:lol nice