PDA

View Full Version : What do you do when you are bored at work?

Samurai Jane
01-25-2007, 06:09 PM
OK, so I have been at this job for about 4 months now and since I'm a new engineer, they aren't really giving me a whole lot of stuff to do right now. As a result, I sit around staring at the screen all day, bored to tears. :cry We are behind a firewall, so I can't play games and majority of all the good sites are blocked. There are only so many times you can read the same threads over and over and the same news over and over. What do you do to cure the boredom blues?? Please help me as I am slowly going insane at what was supposed to be my dream job! :pctoss

Sunshine
01-25-2007, 06:13 PM
I start random threads on message boards :p:

Go to WalMart and buy a couple of those little hand held games. Or do they frown on that at work? Can you read at work?

Samurai Jane
01-25-2007, 06:15 PM
sure.. I can read company documents.. :sleep

DarkReign
01-25-2007, 06:23 PM
The ultimate time-passer (http://spurstalk.com/forums/)

Sunshine
01-25-2007, 06:23 PM
sure.. I can read company documents.. :sleep

:lol

But no Dean Koontz novels or anything?

Samurai Jane
01-25-2007, 06:25 PM

But no Dean Koontz novels or anything?

That's kind of frowned upon here. Maybe I can open up one of my texts and look like I'm doing research. :p: :lol

Samurai Jane
01-25-2007, 06:26 PM
The ultimate time-passer (http://spurstalk.com/forums/)

Oh believe me, this site has been a god-send so far, but as I said, I can only read the same threads so many times. You guys just aren't keeping me entertained as much as I like! :p:

ZStomp
01-25-2007, 06:27 PM
Pull people over.

E20
01-25-2007, 06:38 PM
Blow spit bubbles and name potential shop lifters coming into the store.

NorCal510
01-25-2007, 06:41 PM
make new screen names and act black

baseline bum
01-25-2007, 06:51 PM
My job's been really laid back lately too, so I brought in a copy of Knuth's The Art of Computer Programming. That should keep me busy for a good 10 years or so. :lol

Bob Lanier
01-25-2007, 06:52 PM
Drink alcohol, have sex, and browse the internets.

Melmart1
01-25-2007, 07:27 PM
I have a friend who would purposely put items on the floor near his desk where people passing by could clearly see them, then sit back and be entertained by their reaction. Some items he used: condoms, half-eaten bagles, rubber gloves, dollar bills, one of his shoes, etc. Always funny to see who tries to return an item (is this your condom on the floor?) and who will try to hide the shock on their face and quickly leave.

Not sure how this would go over at work (especially since you are new), but it's a thought! :lol

Samurai Jane
01-25-2007, 07:33 PM
Hmmm... I work with a bunch of engineers that probably haven't seen any action in a long time. I'm wondering if they would recognize a condom when they saw it. :nerd :lol

At least next week I get 3 days out of my cube for some training. :worthy:

Oh and did I mention that the guy that sits in the cube next to me is a gas machine??? I just got a audio reminder of that. :lol

Maybe I need to move back to SA.

tlongII
01-25-2007, 07:42 PM
Pull people over.

I knew it! :madrun

midgetonadonkey
01-25-2007, 07:52 PM
I go to thye restroom and slap the meat around.

Mark in Austin
01-25-2007, 07:58 PM
What type of engineering is it? We're always on the lookout for good civil engineers, techs and drafters.

...and we have a firmly established no gas policy. :lol

Viva Las Espuelas
01-25-2007, 09:19 PM
You guys just aren't keeping me entertained as much as I like! :p:Yeah, I was a little bored today. The same threads, as usual, were being regurgitated in the Spurs forum and The Club was worried about Coldplay and racists. I had to do something and I posted that stupid queer therapy story, but nobody bit on that. I tried. Let's do better tomorrow guys!!!

ZStomp
01-25-2007, 09:29 PM
I knew it! :madrun

Shelly
01-25-2007, 09:42 PM
Go here and diss on your favorite tv show

http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/

SequSpur
01-25-2007, 09:42 PM
I go to thye restroom and slap the meat around.

:tu

Guru of Nothing
01-25-2007, 09:48 PM
OK, so I have been at this job for about 4 months now and since I'm a new engineer, they aren't really giving me a whole lot of stuff to do right now. As a result, I sit around staring at the screen all day, bored to tears. :cry We are behind a firewall, so I can't play games and majority of all the good sites are blocked. There are only so many times you can read the same threads over and over and the same news over and over. What do you do to cure the boredom blues?? Please help me as I am slowly going insane at what was supposed to be my dream job! :pctoss

I read technical manuals when I get bored at work. :sleep

Can you develop an ancillary skill? Ancillary skills become survival skills.

Does your work include drudgery? Find a way to automate or simplify the drudgery so that you can fry bigger fish. You will thank yourself in the long run. I work in IT, so automating and simpliifying is part of the job description. It may not apply to your situation.

Vinnie_Johnson
01-25-2007, 10:08 PM
The average american worker screws around on the job what is= to 18 weeks a year. I don't have the link but I am well over 22 weeks at my pace.

Vinnie_Johnson
01-25-2007, 10:16 PM
This one says 13 weeks that is 2.hrs a day seems low. I blow at least 4 to 5.

TDMVPDPOY
01-25-2007, 11:23 PM
busts a nutt

Please_dont_ban_me
01-25-2007, 11:52 PM
www.boredatwork.com ?

T-Pain
01-26-2007, 01:44 AM
shit im constantly working in my line of work, theres no way you can be bored

Jekka
01-26-2007, 02:47 AM
I learned long ago to never go anywhere without a book. Preferably good fiction so it's easier to ignore the people around me :reading

Jimcs50
01-26-2007, 09:00 AM
I'd fire each and every one of you lazy arses

Fat Bones
01-26-2007, 10:24 AM
Gee...I dunno, maybe show some initiative?
I'm with Jim on this one, if you're bored, you don't deserve a paycheck. Obviously, you've never been laid off before. If you haven't developed any work ethic before your first severance package, you'll likely develop one afterward.
You should work your job like you own the business.

You know?
Got children? There's some motivation. I don't mean to just blast away on you, Sami Jane, I have always worked around people who don't pull their weight and I'm currently working with a world class slug, and it's got me kinda pissed off.

Have you tried accidentally flashing your coworkers? That should create some excitement around the office.

Just a thought.

Sunshine
01-26-2007, 01:22 PM
If you read Jane's initial post, this has nothing to do with her not having any motivation or slacking off:

OK, so I have been at this job for about 4 months now and since I'm a new engineer, they aren't really giving me a whole lot of stuff to do right now.

Bob Lanier
01-26-2007, 01:48 PM
I have always worked around people who don't pull their weight and I'm currently working with a world class slug, and it's got me kinda pissed off.:cry :cry

Fat Bones
01-26-2007, 01:57 PM
If you read Jane's initial post, this has nothing to do with her not having any motivation or slacking off:

OK, so I have been at this job for about 4 months now and since I'm a new engineer, they aren't really giving me a whole lot of stuff to do right now.
Oh, my comprehension is fine. My interpretation may differ...
The junior engineers that I work with, do at times get faulted by the senior engineers for jumping headlong into projects without understanding the history of the issues at hand, nor fully realizing the functionality of certain systems, but their zeal hasn't been confused with lack of initiative. Playing games, reading unrelated materials, or throwing pencils at the ceiling could be.
But you're right, she's admirable in voicing her stagnation. She's just telling people that can't help her become more productive.

ORION
01-26-2007, 02:14 PM
First I do my "rounds" and say hi to all the girls with low self esteem. next I'll patrol for pot lucks.

CavsSuperFan
01-26-2007, 02:21 PM
Jenn- Have you ever considered a cyber boyfriend? I am 5’ 3” tall...127lbs....I have a very extensive spider collection...Lots of 8X Tapes...A Classic Lime Green AMC Gremlin...And I can recite all of the dialogue from Star Trek 3....

Ready to have your world rocked.... :smokin

PUFFY_TACO
01-26-2007, 03:31 PM
I Jizz in the nacho cheese.

...Go Missions!

BigZak
01-26-2007, 05:39 PM

i could use a job like that, pm me the company! :tu

Kori Ellis
01-26-2007, 05:42 PM
i could use a job like that, pm me the company! :tu

:)

She moved from San Antonio to Scottsdale to take the job.

CubanMustGo
01-26-2007, 07:43 PM

So, getting away from the various troll responses ...

Have you tried talking to your boss about this? Try this:
- present the work you have done
- ask if the quality of the work was acceptable
- if not, find out what you need to do to resolve the situation
- if so, ask what can be done to either increase the quantity of your workload, or what needs to happen for you to get more challenging work assigned to you

You may think you are doing great, but doing this will (a) confirm that your boss thinks so, and (b) let them know either that you want to work with them to improve the quality/quantity of your work and that you are willing to perform more challenging roles.

Don't just sit there being bored. Bosses will (fairly or not) pigeonhole you as unambitious/lazy if you do that too much. Take it to them and make them be managers. If you get bad vibes from the discussion, at least you will know where you stand.

Speaking as someone who has managed young software engineers, there is sometimes a vast gap in what the employee thinks versus what the manager thinks. A meeting of the minds can help get those differences out in the open and help close the gap. Yeah, it's the manager's job to make you more productive (and more valuable to the company), but sometimes we need a little help to divine the truth of a situation.

Good luck! :toast