PDA

View Full Version : Haas or Gonzalez

Mavs<Spurs
01-25-2007, 08:35 PM
I apologize in advance for making this separate from the Australian Open thread. However, we are approaching the end of the tournament so I thought I might give it a shot, a very little bit of tennis humor. :lol

Seriously, does anybody think that Haas can beat Gonzalez.

Gonzalez apparently has improved a great deal in (1) his fitness (2) therefore, his shot selection, (3) therefore, in better position so his execution of his shots is better, (4) his backhand and (5) his volley.

Haas has been ranked as high as number two in the world. Haas has a great backhand and is solid at net. When Gonzalez was ready, fire, aim, Haas would probably have won.

Haas is a solid player and Gonzalez will have to beat him to win. If Gonzalez is off, Haas is more than capable of winnin.
Based upon what we have seen, however, I predict Gonzalez to win.

Finally, I agree that Gonzalez is the better match up against Federer and he has a slight chance of winning due to his large forehand. Nevertheless, he has weaknesses that (despite being improved) can be taken advantage of by Federer. They include (1) the difficulty of holding serve against Roger since his serve isn't a monster (2) his backhand (which Federer most assuredly will find), (3) the wide open court for Federer's down the line backhand when Fernando tries to run around to get to hit his forehand (4) his volley and (5) his return of serve isn't that great.
I predict Federer will go directly at Gonzalez's forehand (or where it would be if he weren't trying to run around his backhand).

Will Gonzalez win a set? Probably not.
But it won't be quite as bad, hopefully for his sake, as the Roddick beating.

SoCal Lakeshow
01-25-2007, 09:47 PM
Nobody can beat Federer right now.