PDA

View Full Version : Hollinger and his 3 Spurs, 1 Maverick All-Stars

FromWayDowntown
01-25-2007, 08:54 PM
John Hollinger's Western Conference All-Stars (http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/allstar2007/insider/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=WestAllStars) (insider)

West All-Stars: Tough choices at guard, forwardBy John Hollinger
ESPN Insider

Welcome to the annual conundrum.

When it comes to choosing NBA All-Star teams, we've had the same pattern for about a decade now -- coaches in the West scratching their heads over whom to leave out, while those in the East have more trouble trying to find 12 men worthy of inclusion.

The disparity between the conferences becomes obvious at times like these, even if it's less so in the game itself. And it's especially glaring at the forward spot, where annually there are eight to 10 Western Conference players playing at an All-Star level but a maximum of six spots to reward them.

That said, I'm here to help. Today, I'm picking a 12-man roster for each conference to send to Vegas.

Before we get started let me explain my criteria. A player's accomplishments this season are the biggest factor, obviously, but not the only one. I'll take a player with a consistent track record of excellence over one who appears to be playing over his head, other things being equal. And I'm inclined to cut injured players some slack, provided their injuries are not part of a larger pattern.

Finally, bear in mind the NBA's rules: We have to choose a minimum of four guards, four forwards and two centers, with the last two spots available for any position.

So let's tackle the more difficult West.

The envelopes please:

WEST STARTERS

Steve Nash, G, Suns

He's got things completely backward -- usually you play like an MVP first, then you win the award.

Amazingly, Nash is putting together a career year at a soon-to-be 33. That's even more amazing when you consider we all thought he was having a career year the year before. Per 40 minutes he's averaging 21.9 points and 13.0 assists, and his 67.0 true shooting percentage leads the league; the recipient of many of his passes, Amare Stoudemire, is second.

Not only has his individual play been brilliant, but Nash's Suns look as though they might not lose a game the rest of the season.

Despite all of this, somehow the fans have avoided voting him to the starting lineup.

Kobe Bryant, G, Lakers

Maybe the knee surgery was the best thing that happened to him.

Having to play his way back into shape at the start of the year forced Bryant to dial it back and trust his teammates more, and for the first time since Shaq left he had teammates capable of stepping up to fill the void.

As a result, this is easily the best Lakers squad in the post-Shaq era, and Bryant has kept his name circulating in the MVP chase despite individual numbers that, while still spectacular, are well down from a year ago.

Dirk Nowitzki, F, Mavericks

I'd say Dirk's response to the Finals disappointment has been more than adequate.

Not only does he rank a close second to his nemesis Dwyane Wade in player efficiency rating (PER), he's also shown continued improvement at the defensive end -- the "Irk" days are long gone, folks.

As a result, the Mavs are a jaw-dropping 31-4 after their 0-4 start, and Nowitzki is the odds-on favorite to become the first Euro to win the league's MVP award.

Kevin Garnett, F, Timberwolves

Garnett is no longer in the limelight, but he's quietly putting together another great year for the Timberwolves.

He ranks fourth in PER and is second only to Denver's Marcus Camby in defensive rebound rate.

I just wish the Wolves would trade him to a contender so we could see him play in meaningful games again.

Tim Duncan, C, Spurs

Duncan is listed on the ballot as a forward, and most people still talk of him as a power forward, so let me offer this important announcement: Tim Duncan is a center.

If you made two lists, and one was "things a center does" and the second was "things Tim Duncan does", there would be 100 percent overlap. He jumps at the opening tip, he guards the opposing team's center, and the opposing team's center guards him. He is the Spurs' tallest player (even though he isn't listed as such) and their heaviest regular. He is normally paired in the frontcourt with a man who is two inches shorter, weighs 20 pounds less, and hangs out at the 3-point line. He plays the post the entire game and defends the lane at the defensive end. He's a center.

Thank you. We now return to our regular programming.

WEST SUBS

Yao Ming, C, Rockets

Despite his broken leg, Yao is a no-brainer pick as the West's second center, running roughshod over the league for 27 games before checking out with a tibia fracture.

Forget the timid Yao of yore -- this guy is an unguardable monster, and you can't foul him because he hits 86.7 percent from the line.

If he could have stayed healthy for the full season, we'd be talking about him with Nash and Nowitski for MVP.

Amare Stoudemire, C, Suns

There's no rule saying we can't take three centers, especially when the third one is playing as well as Stoudemire.

STAT is back, everyone, and it would be more obvious if he was averaging more then 30 minutes a game. His 40-minute numbers of 24.9 points, 12.1 boards and 60.2 percent shooting are hard to ignore. And as I mentioned above, Stoudemire is second in the league in true shooting percentage.

Better yet, he's taken a far greater interest in defense of late, helping propel Phoenix to a top 10 rating in defensive efficiency, so there's really no excuse to keep him off the team.

Carlos Boozer, F, Jazz

Among a very crowded forward field in the West, Boozer still stands out above the crowd.

Finally healthy, Boozer has provided a steady dose of post offense and dominating board work to keep the Jazz on top of the Northwest Division. Boozer's 40-minute numbers are sick -- 23.2 points, 12.8 boards, 56.2 percent shooting -- and he hasn't missed a game.

Elton Brand, F, Clippers

If there's one thing Western Conference coaches know how to do, it's screw Elton Brand out of an All-Star bid -- they've done it four of the past five years (though in 2002 an injury gave them a mulligan and he made the team as a replacement).

Once again, he deserves to be there, and I'm hoping the coaches will recognize this, too. While his production is down from his awesome campaign of a year ago, it remains more than good enough to crack the West's top 12 -- he's shooting 55.7 percent, scoring 21.8 points per 40 minutes and blocking two shots a night.

Because of that, he noses out Phoenix's Shawn Marion, Dallas' Josh Howard and Portland's Zach Randolph for the final forward spot.

Carmelo Anthony, Nuggets

The punch-and-run move in Madison Square Garden was bush league, but Anthony's play before and after his 15-game ban has been so brilliant that it's impossible to ignore his credentials.

He's leading the NBA in scoring at 31.6 per game, and he's doing it efficiently too, hitting 49.7 percent from the floor and 81.4 percent from the line.

Overall, his 26.10 PER ranks third in the league. It would be completely unprecedented for a player of such quality to be kept out of this contest.

Manu Ginobili, G, Spurs

The rules require us to select two backup guards, which is a shame because Howard, Marion and Randolph are better than any of the guards I have to choose from.

But if I have to choose two more backcourt players, there's a crowded field to pick from. Ginobili and teammate Tony Parker, Seattle's Ray Allen, the Hornets' Chris Paul, Denver's Allen Iverson, Houston's Tracy McGrady, Sacramento's Kevin Martin, and Golden State's Baron Davis all can make a case for inclusion.

Among this group, Ginobili is a relatively easy first pick, even though the Spurs play him only 27.9 minutes per game to ease the wear and tear. That means his per-game averages don't stand out, but per minute this is the best year of his career. He's averaging 23.4 points per 40 minutes, rebounding like a small forward and stroking it at 41.7 percent from downtown.

Capping it off, he is also easily the best defensive player in the group, something for which he doesn't get nearly enough credit.

Tony Parker, G, Spurs

Now we're really splitting hairs.

If I had to choose the best player from among the remaining group, I'd probably go with Paul. But he's missed 14 games (and might not even be ready by All-Star weekend) -- if we take into account those missed games, that's a small demerit. Also, the difference between him and Parker in PER is less than a point.

Allen also deserves consideration, but he or Martin is the worst defender of the group, and besides I'm still seething from the coaches' indefensible selection of Allen over Paul a year ago.

So we're down to Parker, Iverson, McGrady, Martin and Davis. McGrady missed time with injuries and that's part of the annual trend, so we can't dismiss it. Nix him. Davis is last among the group in PER and nobody much likes to play with him. Nix. Martin is a poor defender and I'd like to see him keep this up for more than half a season. Nix.

So it's down to Iverson and Parker. There's essentially no difference in PER, and the time Iverson missed while Philly was trying to deal him shouldn't be held against him, in my opinion.

But Parker is the better defender and the more durable of the two, so in what basically amounts to a coin-toss I'll go with him for the final spot.

REALITY CHECK

In this section, let's look at how my ballot syncs up with what's possible, factoring in the actual voting and injuries. Two problems complicate our roster.

One is at guard, where McGrady or Iverson will beat out Nash for a starting job in the fan vote. That requires us to ditch one guard from the end of the roster, so it's au revoir, Mr. Longoria.

Because both T-Mac and A.I. were finalists for the roster anyway, we don't mind the replacement so much, but it's the starting nod that's irritating.

The second issue is Yao, who it appears won't be back from his broken leg until March and sure as heck isn't about to go for a test drive in an All-Star Game. Additionally, Yao was voted in as the starting center, while Duncan's likely to be voted in as one of the starting forwards. This presents a second issue, as we have to shift some positions around.

Fortunately, we already have put Stoudemire on our team as a backup center, so it's really just a question of adding another player to the roster to take Yao's spot. This comes down to Howard, Marion and Randolph.

Randolph can be knocked out on two counts: One, this year is far better than his career norms, and I'd like to see him keep it up for more than half a season. The second, bigger reason is Randolph's near-total dereliction of duty at the defensive end. He has the best stats and PER of the three, but I don't think anybody in the league would trade Marion or Howard for Zach.

So it's down to Marion and Howard. Howard ranks slightly ahead in PER, but he's played fewer games and fewer minutes per game. Both players are good defenders, too, so I can't get much traction in that comparison.

In the end, it comes down to this: Marion puts up these numbers year after year, while Howard has never approached this level before. Because of that, I have more belief that this is Marion's true level of ability than Howard's, so I'll take him by a whisker.

But in reality, both players probably will make it when the coaches screw Brand again, so it might end up being a moot point.

T-Pain
01-25-2007, 08:55 PM
this guy must be on crack

bdictjames
01-25-2007, 08:57 PM
Is he from Texas?

FromWayDowntown
01-25-2007, 09:03 PM
FWIW--Hollinger's East All-Stars (http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/allstar2007/insider/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=EastAllStars)

East All-Stars: Butler, Okafor, Deng ... or Lee?By John Hollinger

If you play in the Eastern Conference, All-Star selections are a good-news, bad-news situation.

The good news is that the competition for the All-Star team is much lighter. The bad news is that coaches tend to favor heavily players from teams with winning records, and only six teams meet that standard in the East at the moment.

Nonetheless, the Eastern coaches will have to figure out 12 worthy nominees from among the conference's huddled masses, and today so will I.

A couple of quick ground rules: A player's 2006-07 performance is the biggest factor, but I'm wary of fluke years. And injuries aren't a big factor unless they're part of a larger pattern.

Also, the NBA requires that we select four guards, four forwards and two centers for the team, with the last two spots available for any position.

All that said, here's my ballot:

EAST STARTERS

Gilbert Arenas, G, Wizards

Arenas' non-selection a year ago was among the most indefensible All-Star snubs ever (he eventually made it as an injury replacement), but he needn't worry about a repeat.

Mr. Hibachi has pumped in 29.4 points per game, nailed multiple game-winning shots, and thrown his hat into the MVP ring while keeping Washington atop the Southeast Division.

Here's an added thought -- perhaps he should get an invite to the 3-Point Shootout too. Arenas is shooting 39.1 percent from downtown on nearly eight attempts a game, many of which are difficult off-the-dribble tries.

Dwyane Wade, G, Heat

He's not going to win the MVP award because of the Heat's record, but I am utterly convinced that Wade is the best player in the league, and that Miami would be about 5-37 right now without him.

Not only is he No. 1 in the NBA in PER, he's also a solid defender and a deadly player in late-game situations because of his ability to get a shot whenever he wants and his knack for getting to the line.

Lost in all his scoring exploits is how much he's helping those around him: He's quietly averaging 7.9 assists per game, making him seventh in the league and the runaway No. 1 among shooting guards.

LeBron James, F, Cavaliers

Cleveland has been a mild disappointment, and so has LeBron … but only because he helped raise the bar so high.

By human standards, James's 27-7-6 triple crown numbers would be jaw-dropping, and his durability makes him even more valuable -- he plays 41 minutes a contest and never misses games.

He's also made strides at the defensive end, helping Cleveland become one of the league's most improved teams at that end of the floor.

By the way, he just turned 22.

Chris Bosh, F, Raptors

He missed 12 games with a knee injury, but when healthy he's been the best power forward in the East.

Now that the Raptors have added some more beef in the frontcourt, he's been freed up to grab more rebounds, and Bosh is pulling down a career-best 11.1 boards a game despite playing fewer minutes.

And thanks to the help, he has Toronto positioned for its first playoff berth since Vince Carter left town.

Dwight Howard, C, Magic

It's a close contest in the middle for the East between Howard and Jermaine O'Neal, but durability gives Howard the nod. (See below for more on O'Neal.)

The 21-year-old has a good shot at becoming the youngest player in league history to lead the league in rebounding, and his improved offensive output (19.0 points per 40 minutes, 56.4 percent shooting) has the resurgent Magic playoff bound.

EAST SUBS

Chauncey Billups, G, Pistons

Mr. Big Shot's numbers aren't quite as stellar as they were a year ago, but part of the reason for that is the Pistons have slowed their pace from "turtle" to "three-toed sloth" -- they're again 29th out of 30 teams in pace factor, and relative to the league are playing nearly a full possession per game slower than last season.

Nonetheless, Billups' effectiveness stacks up very well with his peers once we level the playing field, as his 22.61 PER indicates, and he's also a solid defender who can cover both guard spots.

Jason Kidd, G, Nets

Kidd continues to defy the laws of aging, dragging the Nets back into the playoff race by averaging nearly a triple double -- 14.7 points, 9.1 assists and 8.4 boards -- and posting a rebound rate better than many of the league's power forwards.

His 43.5 percent shooting mark is a career high, and after an atypically slow-footed start to the season, his defense is once again among the best at his position.

New Jersey's rough start might have turned off some voters, but he's clearly deserving.

Vince Carter, G, Nets

OK, one guard spot left (for now), and here's where it gets tough.

Billups and Kidd were easy picks, but now we're down to Carter, Richard Hamilton, Joe Johnson, and Ben Gordon.

Gordon's candidacy is more a nod to Chicago's record than anything; he really doesn't stack up with the other three if we're comparing performance.

Among the rest, each has his share of strengths. Hamilton has been the most consistent of the three and his team has won the most games. Johnson is the best defender of the bench and would have better stats if he hadn't played hurt in late December.

Nonetheless, I'll go with Carter. The reports that he's having an off year have been exaggerated: His numbers are nearly identical to last season's, he hasn't missed a game, and he's in a virtual dead heat with Hamilton in PER thanks to his underrated contribution on the glass.

Michael Redd, F, Bucks

One of many Eastern stars to spend some time on the shelf, Redd was a no-brainer pick before hurting his knee, and in my estimation still an easy choice.

He's likely to be back in time for the game, he doesn't have a history of injuries that makes this part of a larger pattern, and his numbers (28.0 points per 40 minutes, 58.5 true shooting percentage, fourth-best PER in the East) are beyond reproach.

Here's the twist -- I'm taking him as a forward. He's played more minutes at small forward than at shooting guard because of Milwaukee's frequent small-ball lineups  according to 82games.com, nearly two-thirds of his minutes have come at that spot.

Additionally, selecting Redd here helps us deal with the paucity of good forwards in the East.

Paul Pierce, F, Celtics

Currently sidelined with a foot injury and potentially on the shelf past the All-Star Game, Pierce would be easier to dismiss if he wasn't so glaringly better than the other candidates at this position.

His triple-crown averages of 27-7-4 pretty much dwarf the competition. Before the injury Pierce was again among the East's top players, and few doubt he'll return to that perch when he comes back.

Jermaine O'Neal, C, Pacers

As with Tim Duncan in the West, O'Neal is a center listed as a forward. He belongs on the team either way, but since we're required to choose a backup center he's the obvious choice.

A perennially underrated defender, O'Neal leads the NBA in blocked shots. Unlike a lot of other shot-blockers, he also takes a ton of charges.

He could be well on his way to some long-overdue recognition in this area, while his offensive output remains more or less All-Star quality.

Emeka Okafor, C, Bobcats

OK, now it really gets tough. We have room for one more player, and it can be from any position.

In addition to Johnson and Hamilton (mentioned above), our list of finalists includes Okafor, Washington's Caron Butler and Antawn Jamison, and Chicago's Luol Deng.

Players from teams that are a few games over .500 tend to do disproportionately well in All-Star voting, especially when their competition is from a losing team, so I have a feeling the coaches will pull the lever for Hamilton, Butler or Deng -- particularly one of the latter two if they forget to choose Redd as a forward.

Nonetheless, Okafor is the right choice. He's become one of the league's best defensive players, ranking second in blocks, which explains how a team with Matt Carroll and Adam Morrison on the wings can rank in the middle of the pack in Defensive Efficiency. And he's quietly boosted his offensive effectiveness this year, shooting 53.0 percent from the floor.

Butler matches Okafor's output statistically but is totally, utterly outclassed as a defender, while Jamison similarly pales defensively and isn't in the same boat in terms of PER either. That leaves Deng as the last man standing, but Okafor has slight edges across the board -- he's a better defender and has better numbers at 16.7 points and 12.6 boards per 40 minutes.

In fact, the main frontcourt rival to Okafor in my mind isn't Butler or Deng -- it's New York's David Lee. Absolutely nobody is talking about him for an All-Star berth, but put his numbers side by side with any of these other forwards and tell me why he doesn't belong. He's shooting 60.6 percent from the floor, and despite playing only 30 minutes a game he ranks seventh in the NBA in rebounding, right ahead of Duncan.

At the very least he should be running away with the Sixth Man award, but people seem to be going out of their way to ignore him at the moment. (Good heavens, is it possible that a Knick can be underrated?) I'll take Okafor over Lee because of his defense, but this is a closer call than some might imagine.

As for Okafor against Johnson and Hamilton, they're all quite close in PER, and the former two have much more established reputations. This is important since we have to consider the possibility that Okafor's high field-goal percentage is a fluke.

Nonetheless, I'm picking him anyway. I think his defense has been that much of a factor, especially compared to somebody like Hamilton, and just because nobody watches Bobcats games doesn't mean we should ignore his accomplishments.

REALITY CHECK

Here's where I look at how my ballot syncs up with what's possible, factoring in the actual voting and injuries.

The fan voting in the East leaves things relatively uncomplicated. Shaquille O'Neal is going to be voted in as the starting center even though he's played only five games thus far, but that's OK because Pierce is unlikely to be available for the All-Star Game.

Just select Howard as a backup forward instead of a starting center (he's seen substantial time at power forward), choose Okafor as the injury replacement for Pierce, and the rest of the roster can remain intact.

The more problematic consideration is if Redd can't return in time for the shindig in Vegas, because there's only one other reserve forward on the roster at the moment. (I can't see choosing O'Neal or Okafor at that spot when they've played center almost exclusively.) That means we'd have to choose from among Butler, Deng and Lee. In that case, I'll go with Lee … even if his own coach would go with Channing Frye.

mardigan
01-25-2007, 09:09 PM
No way Manu deserves a all star selection, I love the guy, but its not one of his better years

T-Pain
01-25-2007, 09:10 PM
same with parker

ajh18
01-25-2007, 09:25 PM
No way Manu deserves a all star selection, I love the guy, but its not one of his better years

Actually, it's probably his best year statistically. http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/stats?statsId=3380

He is equaling or bettering the best years of his career in points, rebounds, and steals, while upping his ft% by over 6% points from his previous best.

ShoogarBear
01-25-2007, 09:42 PM
this guy must be on crackOr something. He dismisses T-Mac and his 23.2/5.5/6.6 because he doesn't play enough games, but he's played more games than Yao, Bosh, Pearce, and Carmelo and five less games than Manu.

Hollinger should stick to churning out his made-up numbers and not bother trying to attach words to them.

Kermit
01-25-2007, 10:10 PM
i think that we would all be singing a different tune about manu's all-star candidacy if our bench was worth two shits and a piss.

milkyway21
01-26-2007, 12:39 AM
is there an additional award in this yr's Vegas All-Star games, such as the 2007 All-Star Best Reserve?

i saw this on Nba.com site...

Which player has the best chance to be named a 2007 All Star reserve?
Vince Carter, Nets
Dwight Howard, Magic
Steve Nash, Suns
Dirk Nowitzki, Mavericks

johnpaulwall21
01-26-2007, 12:40 AM
dirt

rayray2k8
01-26-2007, 01:23 AM
Only 1 will make it and that's Duncan...

Lay down the pipe.
Gee that's funny, I dont see any knick players on there. :D

TDMVPDPOY
01-26-2007, 02:17 AM
tp on allstar team? hahahah

marion misses out, while amare makes it is lame

but no suns should be on the team besides nash, and no spurs besides td

josh howard misses out...:(

elton brand is havina shit year this year for no reason, dont think his warranted a sub spot.

LilMissSPURfect
01-26-2007, 12:46 PM
can't blame him for his opinion.......btw I like Manu as a Pick! y not?

Kori Ellis
01-26-2007, 12:48 PM
I don't think Manu or Tony will make it. Too many good people in the West. I don't see at all how he leaves AI off. :wtf And I think JHoward deserves to go.

The Mavs/Suns are far ahead of the Spurs now. The Spurs don't deserve 3 All-Stars.

MoSpur
01-26-2007, 01:01 PM
Josh Howard should be one. I forgot about that guy. I think Melo deserves to go despite him slapping like a girl.

Kermit
01-26-2007, 01:07 PM
josh howard definitely deserves a place and it won't be a problem if avery's coaching the team.

Kori Ellis
01-26-2007, 01:08 PM
josh howard definitely deserves a place and it won't be a problem if avery's coaching the team.

Avery doesn't choose the reserves. They are voted on by the coaches.

Trainwreck2100
01-26-2007, 01:13 PM
Avery doesn't choose the reserves. They are voted on by the coaches.

Avery won't even coach it, D'Antoni clinched it already.

Kermit
01-26-2007, 01:15 PM
Avery won't even coach it, D'Antoni clinched it already.

when was the cut-off for best record? last night?

Kori Ellis
01-26-2007, 01:16 PM
when was the cut-off for best record? last night?

Avery coached last year. You can't coach 2 years in a row. So D'Antoni goes by default.

FromWayDowntown
01-26-2007, 01:16 PM
n/m

Kermit
01-26-2007, 01:19 PM
Avery coached last year. You can't coach 2 years in a row. So D'Antoni goes by default.

yet another archaic, idiotic nba rule. i guess most coaches would rather spend that time with their family.

nkdlunch
01-26-2007, 01:21 PM
Fuck that. Remember when 4 pistons went to allstars. that shit is ajinx hope only Duncan goes there and only plays 5 mins.

Trainwreck2100
01-26-2007, 01:22 PM
Fuck that. Remember when 4 pistons went to allstars. that shit is ajinx hope only Duncan goes there and only plays 5 mins.

The only way that happens is if he gets injured or if there is a sniper picking off NBA all stars, is that what you want? Timmy injured or shot?

nkdlunch
01-26-2007, 01:25 PM
if Pop was coaching that would be a guarantee. But fuckin D'antoni will probably play him 40 minutes

gregpschneid
01-26-2007, 01:48 PM

without manu and the spurs are below 500.

Nikos
01-26-2007, 03:26 PM
Hollinger's PER stat is a good one. It has its weaknesses especially for valuing defense, but its a great statistical tool to gauge how productive a player is statistically per minute.

Yeah Ginobili is overrated by PER a bit when you compare him to players like Arenas who carry the load for their team -- but it also demonstrates how efficient and productive Manu is when in the game.

Someone like Bowen is very underrated, because he certainly is not one of the worst players in the league in terms of value to a team. But offensively I guess you can make the claim that he is often a liability when not hitting his 3pt shot. But his defense does make him valuable to teams that need it and have enough offense around him.

Dirk and Wade are tops on the PER list. Not too bad. Some guys have off years, have horrible teamattes, or simply play too many minutes -- so they are underappreciated in terms of PER. But I find in general that the stat is a nice indicator of a players offensive production (and to some extent defense albeit very small).

Hollinger knows better than to simply judge players on his stat alone. He knows the limitations of his stat, but I doubt he has the time to really explain the weaknesses, so he probably gets to the point and wants to push his measuring tool over simple PPG, FG%, and team wins(which many people tend to factor most anyway).

ponky
01-26-2007, 03:43 PM
he also has D Wade as MVP over everybody

timvp
01-26-2007, 03:44 PM
The All-Star game should be cancelled if Josh Howard isn't named to the team.

Kermit
01-26-2007, 05:13 PM
The All-Star game should be cancelled if Josh Howard isn't named to the team.

yeah, i agree. but if you listen to the heads, they seem to think that last night's game against the bulls ruined his all-star candidacy (which i think is utter bullshit). he and shawn marion are two players who's exclusion from the game would be a travesty.

edit: i realize i just wrote udder. i must have cow teets on the brain.

cheguevara
01-26-2007, 05:16 PM
good timing. Howard was 4 of 20 last night

ShoogarBear
01-26-2007, 05:23 PM
The whole Mavs team sucked shooting last night. Howard at least was able to pick up his game in money time.

FromWayDowntown
01-26-2007, 06:18 PM
Hollinger knows better than to simply judge players on his stat alone. He knows the limitations of his stat, but I doubt he has the time to really explain the weaknesses, so he probably gets to the point and wants to push his measuring tool over simple PPG, FG%, and team wins(which many people tend to factor most anyway).

Signed,
Jackie Butler

dg7md
01-26-2007, 06:36 PM
We're the only team that's underrated and overrated at the exact same time.

Nikos
01-26-2007, 08:01 PM
Signed,
Jackie Butler

Of course hes going to be biased by his measurement. Michael Redd was another guy who had a nice PER and didn't get huge minutes at first.

But you have to use context with this measurement. If a player is getting major rotational minutes and has a nice PER at a young stage of his NBA career, its usually a good sign. Someone with a nice PER who plays 10mpg is probably not a lock to be a great NBA player or anything. Just because Hollinger had good things to say about Butler doesn't make the measurement useless or ineffective.

SequSpur
01-26-2007, 10:30 PM
without manu and the spurs are below 500.

this guy is smart. The Spurs blew the grizz out tonight while manu sat in a chair.