PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Popovich stoic, says trade not a solution

fred33
01-26-2007, 01:10 AM
Spurs' Popovich stoic, says trade not a solution
Johnny Ludden
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA012607.01D.BKNspurs.grizzlies.1bdf7cf.html
Express-News

If the Spurs are going to emerge from their current funk in time to make a serious run at another title, they're going to do so with their current roster.

That, according to players, is what coach Gregg Popovich told the team after Wednesday's loss to Houston. The question now is whether that holds true.

"He made a statement last night that he wasn't trading anybody, that we were going to do it together, that this group of guys is going to do it as a team," Robert Horry said. "But you know how that is. I'm not saying he won't do that, but it's the nature of the business.

"If somebody came up and said, 'We'll give you Tracy McGrady,' he would be foolish not to do that."

The Spurs don't expect McGrady to fall into their laps. But Popovich's comments to the team were somewhat surprising considering the Spurs have aggressively looked to upgrade their athleticism on the perimeter and probably will continue to do so.

And the Feb. 22 trade deadline is nearly a month away.

"This team is a veteran team and most guys understand that you never know what can happen," Horry said. "If a good trade could come up, you'd be foolish not to take it. Most guys know that. He just said that to try to get guys to relax.

"I just think with all these trade rumors going around it's put people on edge, and that's one thing you hate about the business. But it happens. Guys just need to relax and play."

Brent Barry and Beno Udrih, according to league sources, have been mentioned prominently in trade discussions.

Barry ranks third in the NBA in 3-point accuracy, and is one of the few players aside from Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker with value to other teams. Udrih, meanwhile, has struggled in a season in which the Spurs had hoped he would lock down the backup point-guard job.

The Spurs had discussions with the Los Angeles Clippers about forward Corey Maggette, but team officials were reluctant to include both Udrih and Barry in a possible deal because it would cost them two of their best ball-handlers. The Clippers have fielded several offers for Maggette, but have remained patient while debating whether to trade him.

Barry was nearly traded last season to New Orleans, and his defense and occasionally daring passing has sometimes tested the patience of Popovich, who hit him with a particularly harsh rebuke during the team's Jan. 10 victory in Denver. Barry, however, has handled the current speculation about as well as possible while remaining the team's most productive reserve.

Some Spurs officials also think it will be difficult to find a more skilled backup point guard than Udrih, whose inconsistency has repeatedly raised Popovich's ire.

Popovich has a policy of not commenting publicly on trade talks but has previously said team officials will do their "due diligence" while looking at ways to improve the roster.

In the meantime, the Spurs hope to regain some of the edge they've lost over the past month.

Wednesday's loss to the Rockets appeared nearly identical to that of a week earlier when they lost to the Lakers. Both games were at home and both opponents were missing their second-best player. In each, the Spurs fell behind big in the fourth quarter before starting an energetic comeback that came up short.

"I think we have to understand that we're not playing with the same physicality and focus for as many minutes of the game as we have in the past," Popovich said. "Along with that, there are some individuals who just have to pick their games up — some starters and some people off the bench."

The Spurs have increasingly looked tense, which isn't much of a surprise considering they're 7-6 this month. Parker, in particular, has had a difficult time, saying Popovich has asked him to focus less on scoring and more on setting up his teammates.

"The last three or four games is hard," said Parker, who is averaging 11.0 points and 6.3 assists in the past three games. "I'm not having fun and if I don't have fun, it's hard."

Parker said Popovich wants him to shoot less. Popovich said he wants only for Parker to make good decisions. In either case, Parker has labored while trying to strike a balance.

"I have to try to please him and at the same time stay myself," Parker said. "If I'm not myself, I play bad, and I know it."

Parker isn't alone. Michael Finley has missed 28 of his past 35 3-point attempts and Bruce Bowen 13 of his past 16. Ginobili has remained the team's constant motor, but also has recently struggled with his shot.

The Spurs haven't endured such a tough stretch in recent seasons. Parker thought Popovich's comments after Wednesday's loss were aimed at reducing some of the pressure.

"If Pop thinks we'll stay with the team, that's great," Parker said. "But we have to believe we can do it."

TDMVPDPOY
01-26-2007, 02:15 AM
hahha trade parker seriously, stop cockriding td

timvp
01-26-2007, 02:25 AM
The Spurs had discussions with the Los Angeles Clippers about forward Corey Maggette, but team officials were reluctant to include both Udrih and Barry in a possible deal because it would cost them two of their best ball-handlers.

:lmao

Some Spurs officials also think it will be difficult to find a more skilled backup point guard than Udrih

Where the hell are they looking?

Amuseddaysleeper
01-26-2007, 02:30 AM
I like how Horry admits Pop was saying no trade was going to be made to calm everyone down.

I wonder how loud td, tp, and manu groaned when they were told this was the team they were probsbly going to be stuck with.

ChumpDumper
01-26-2007, 02:32 AM
So Tony isn't sad?

MannyIsGod
01-26-2007, 02:35 AM
No trade is going to happen because we don't have shit to give up that other teams would actually want. I mean com'on, we hate our bench so why would anyone else see anything there?

The one move I can't see NOT happening is an E Williams trade. Surely you can get at least draft picks out of him and right now those picks look really attractive if we're not going to play him.

SenorSpur
01-26-2007, 02:50 AM
"Some Spurs officials also think it will be difficult to find a more skilled backup point guard than Udrih, whose inconsistency has repeatedly raised Popovich's ire"

Please tell me why? The Spurs reluctance to part with this guy is astonishing. It's not like he's giviing them quality minutes.

So let me understand. Stick with the same roster - which has many flaws - and totally give up trying to upgrade? Fucking unbelievable!

ChumpDumper
01-26-2007, 02:54 AM
This team isn't going to say it's actively seeking a trade if it doesn't have to.

MannyIsGod
01-26-2007, 02:58 AM
This team isn't going to say it's actively seeking a trade if it doesn't have to.They've said it all along. This is a new stance, not the same one.

T Park
publicily saying your seeking a trade makes it seem like your desperate.

Wich drives down the chance of a trade.

ChumpDumper
Have they really said it all along?

Publicly?

rayray2k8
Damn...
We're gonna suck for awhile.

MannyIsGod
01-26-2007, 03:01 AM
Have they really said it all along?

Publicly?Saying something through Ludden is saying is publicly. Its not as though the other teams in the league don't know whats going on.

Pop has never come out and said "We're not making trades" or "We're making trades" to the media directly, but Ludden's articles are always a good indication of what is going on.

I think they've gotten almost zero interest in anything they have to offer because everything they have to offer is crap. I'm not so sure moving Scola is high on their radar anymore considering what we have on the bench right now, so they may not even be offering his rights.

I think its a clear sign that they CAN'T make a trade, not that they won't make one.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
01-26-2007, 03:02 AM
Horry's stupid because he wasn't supposed to blurt that out.

Now Barry, and the rest of the loser parts of the team will keep playing depressed.

T Park
01-26-2007, 03:02 AM
So let me understand. Stick with the same roster - which has many flaws - and totally give up trying to upgrade? Fucking unbelievable

you do realize it takes more than 1 team to make a trade right.

If said other teams don't want what you have, is it said Spurs fault they don't make a trade?

Think for the love of pete.

Kori Ellis
01-26-2007, 03:03 AM
Eh ...

I'm guessing Pop just told them no trades are coming, so they could try to re-focus (meaning not worry about get traded and don't expect a miracle player to come bail them out).

But, as always, they will keep their options open.

This article is like a non-article, in terms of information.

johnpaulwall21
01-26-2007, 03:03 AM
i wanna know what duncan thinks about the organization and popovich not making any moves.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
01-26-2007, 03:04 AM
"The last three or four games is hard," said Parker, who is averaging 11.0 points and 6.3 assists in the past three games. "I'm not having fun and if I don't have fun, it's hard."

Parker said Popovich wants him to shoot less. Popovich said he wants only for Parker to make good decisions. In either case, Parker has labored while trying to strike a balance.

"I have to try to please him and at the same time stay myself," Parker said. "If I'm not myself, I play bad, and I know it."

"If Pop thinks we'll stay with the team, that's great," Parker said. "But we have to believe we can do it."
Trade Pop.

rayray2k8
01-26-2007, 03:05 AM
Eh ...

I'm guessing Pop just told them no trades are coming, so they could try to re-focus (meaning not worry about get traded and don't expect a miracle player to come bail them out).

This article is like a non-article, in terms of information.
Damn.. you beat me to it..
But if they if thats what the spurs staff believe is the problem, then they are sadly mistaken.

milkyway21
01-26-2007, 03:06 AM
how many times Pops said there will be no trade but a trade happened?

he said that few months before trading Malik Rose to NY, if i remember correctly :lol

ChumpDumper
01-26-2007, 03:07 AM
Saying something through Ludden is saying is publicly.But why was the Maggette trade even discussed? Because Ludden brought it up.
It's not as though the other teams in the league don't know whats going on.[quote]Sure, but this is on the record stuff.[quote]Pop has never come out and said "We're not making trades" or "We're making trades" to the media directly, but Ludden's articles are always a good indication of what is going on.Huh? Before almost every trade, he has said they weren't making any trade.
I think they've gotten almost zero interest in anything they have to offer because everything they have to offer is crap. I'm not so sure moving Scola is high on their radar anymore considering what we have on the bench right now, so they may not even be offering his rights.

I think its a clear sign that they CAN'T make a trade, not that they won't make one.I don't disagree with that part. The Spurs requirements preclude most possible deals.

ChumpDumper
01-26-2007, 03:08 AM
Eh ...

This article is like a non-article, in terms of information.Completely agree. Pop would prefer never to talk about trades ever. This Maggette business is festering because someone else brought it up.

timvp
01-26-2007, 03:18 AM
The Spurs have multiple expiring contracts and draft picks, so the ability to make trades is there. I'm sure they'll continue to look for a deal that makes sense.

If Pop is basing these comments off anything, it'd be the realization that Maggette isn't coming to town. Perhaps the Clippers said the deal involving Barry is officially off the table. If Pop isn't saying these comments just to say them, that's a plausible explanation for what caused the change of heart.

If the Maggette deal is dead (as I expect it now is), the chances of an impact trade are pretty low. At most, I can imagine something like Williams, Beno and a pick for Atkins.

MannyIsGod
01-26-2007, 03:20 AM
You know how happy moving Beno/Williams for Atkins would make me?

Thats sad, isn't it.

milkyway21
01-26-2007, 03:44 AM
speaking about Pop's plan regarding trades...
it seems that it's true, no trades right now folks! :reading

Saving it for later
The Spurs aren't young -- and they aren't panicking

No contender in the East is nearly so frightening as San Antonio is in the West. The Spurs hold the third-best record in the league with an All-Star trio aged 30 (Tim Duncan), 29 (Manu Ginobili) and 26 (Tony Parker). And yet there is a growing sense that they are too old, that the younger, livelier Mavericks and Suns have passed them by.

"It's a legitimate concern for us,'' acknowledges 35-year-old Brent Barry, who is one of seven Spurs on the wrong side of 30.

On Thursday morning, the Spurs were five games behind Phoenix and a further half-game behind Dallas, lending credence to reports that they are interested in trades that would make them younger and -- theoretically -- more relevant.

"I don't think that our bench play has been as good as it has been in the past,'' coach Gregg Popovich says. "From time to time our starters have been a little bit inconsistent. And thusly we've lost three or four more games at this point that we usually do. That's not a good thing because I think the West is probably tougher than it's ever been, but it also doesn't mean that the sky is falling.''

Michael Finley and Robert Horry are shooting less than 38 percent, and San Antonio's depth -- historically a strength -- has been further diminished by frontcourt injuries to Francisco Elson and Matt Bonner. But at this stage the Spurs will be making an uncharacteristic blunder if they cash out their experience for youth.

This isn't the first time the Spurs have looked vulnerable in midseason. In their championship year of 2002-03, they were a middling 19-13 before closing out with a 41-9 run. One year earlier they went 15-13 in January and February, followed by a 22-3 sprint through March and April. And the year before that they were 23-15 at this point of the season -- and 35-9 thereafter.

It's as if something in Popovich's system creates these painful lulls of self-examination, followed by redemptive winning streaks in which they cleanse themselves at the expense of all comers.

"I know that we sort of go back to the beginning each year -- teaching-wise, offensively and defensively -- by going back to the basics, and starting slowly in that regard,'' says Popovich, trying to explain why it often takes so long to strike a rhythm. "And not doing everything then that we might do toward playoff time, as far as adjustments and things.''

"The M.O. is to get guys to watch it, then get guys involved in it, and then while you're getting involved in it there's an evaluation process as to what exactly is going to work for you and how you're going to fit into it,'' says Barry (and it would sound like a lot of hooey if the numbers didn't back him up.) "And then in the second half of the year that's how you get plugged in, depending on what the opponent is or what the situation is. And still ultimately you're relying on Tim, Manu and Tony to be steadfast and take care of most of the business.''

It's also not easy to find inspiration after so many long years of contending. While the Mavs and Suns are playing with a sense of desperation to win their first championship, most of the key Spurs are trying to recreate something they've already managed one or two or three times before.

Another problem is that the league seems to be trending against the Spurs. The rules now reward smaller more athletic players on the perimeter at the expense of Duncan, who has been shifting to center more than usual.

``It makes it tough for him defensively because there are fewer and fewer people a guy like that can guard,'' says Popovich of 6-11 Duncan. "Because there are no big forwards really; I mean, there are a couple, but in general (there aren't). And offensively when he's got the ball, it's easy to double- team a big guy. It's easy to get the ball out of his hands and decide that it's going to be done on the perimeter. And so if our perimeter isn't composed of guys who just got drafted in the last couple of years, or they're all 24 or 25 years old, then athletically we're a little bit behind the curve in that sense. So the rules definitely have made it tougher for us.''

Instead of surrounding the three-point line with youngsters to drive to the basket, the Spurs are settled with elderly shooters in Bruce Bowen and second-teamers Finley, Horry and Barry -- with Barry providing the only consistent performance off the bench.

A lot of people around the league give the Spurs little hope of winning the West. But Popovich's next statement has the ring -- in his case the championship ring -- of truth. "I look back at last year and people say, 'You know, you didn't get by Dallas,' '' he says. "Well, if not for one ill-advised foul (by Ginobili at the end of Game 7) we do get beyond Dallas. And if we do, then people wouldn't speak about us being old. They would say, 'Dallas still couldn't get over the hump against that experienced, executing bunch of Spurs.' But since that foul in the seventh game, you're old.

"So I try not to put us in a category. I think that we've got to grind it out like we usually do, play the way we play knowing full well the rules have changed. And our defense has changed in that regard, we've had to make some changes in the system. But I think being healthy at the end of the year, we'll be able to play with anybody.''

The big mistake would be in trading potential playoff contributors in order to bring in younger players who offer more athleticism to San Antonio but won't have a clue how to apply it within the Spurs' cerebral gameplan. Don't you think Popovich is relieved that his attempts at moving Barry for J.R. Smith collapsed at the trading deadline last year? A 21-year-old like Smith is years away from being able to help a contender like San Antonio win games in May and June.

The harsh conference environment may yet change. While the Mavericks have exhibited no weakness, the Suns' injury to Kurt Thomas (out until next month with a left elbow subluxation) leaves them with a seven-man rotation amid the annual fears that soon-to-be 33-year-old Steve Nash (career-high 35.6 minutes) will burn out by spring.

The Spurs owe it to themselves to give it one more year with this group. They're losing games in no small part because they're saving themselves for the real season ahead. "Health is the No. 1 key going into the playoffs,'' Popovich says. Elson (who runs the floor as if he's closer to 25 than his age of 30) is already back on the court, and Bonner (26) will return next month to provide some fresh blood -- and both players already know how to play around Duncan, Ginobili and Parker.

The Spurs won't be favored in the latter rounds of the playoffs, but that doesn't mean they aren't capable of rope-a-doping anybody. Duncan is far healthier than last year, and Ginobili is playing as well as when he was an All-Star two years ago. And if they can ever find their typical late-season rhythm, they might ultimately demonstrate that making the simple extra pass can overcome younger bodies and fresher legs.

the rest of the article:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/ian_thomsen/01/25/spurs/index.html

kris
01-26-2007, 03:49 AM
Besides the fact that Parker isn't 26, I really hate how people try to make the Spurs core seem old. They aren't. They should be in the midst of their prime right now.

Kori Ellis
01-26-2007, 03:53 AM
Besides the fact that Parker isn't 26, I really hate how people try to make the Spurs core seem old. They aren't. They should be in the midst of their prime right now.

:lol Yeah it was hard to read it after that mistake, but I made it through it. But a lot of the Spurs players are old - Bowen/Horry/Barry/Fin - and you need (one of) those role players to step up in the postseason. We'll have to see if they have the legs.

milkyway21
01-26-2007, 03:54 AM
. Don't you think Popovich is relieved that his attempts at moving Barry for J.R. Smith collapsed at the trading deadline last year? A 21-year-old like Smith is years away from being able to help a contender like San Antonio win games in May and June.

:D

Bruno
01-26-2007, 04:05 AM
Some Spurs officials also think it will be difficult to find a more skilled backup point guard than Udrih

Even if it's funny, it's quite true. The market for PGs who are available, on a cheap contract and better than Vaughn is very thin (something like 5 players).

timvp
01-26-2007, 04:15 AM
Beno is skilled, that's not the problem. The problem is he plays as if he needs to be on anti-depressants. An out of shape point guard with no confidence isn't exactly the blueprint for success in the NBA.

Buddy Holly
01-26-2007, 05:15 AM
Barry/Beno plus picks to LA for Maggette.

Horry for Atkins.

I'd do it.

Mr. Body
01-26-2007, 05:42 AM
Barry/Beno plus picks to LA for Maggette.

Horry for Atkins.

I'd do it.

Did you read the article?

timvp
01-26-2007, 05:53 AM
If Pop is basing these comments off anything, it'd be the realization that Maggette isn't coming to town. Perhaps the Clippers said the deal involving Barry is officially off the table. If Pop isn't saying these comments just to say them, that's a plausible explanation for what caused the change of heart.

Clippers owner Donald T. Sterling wanted to send a message, so he summoned General Manager Elgin Baylor, Coach Mike Dunleavy and Corey Maggette to an impromptu meeting Saturday near the bottom of the entrance ramp at Staples Center.

The Clippers had just routed the Memphis Grizzlies and Sterling figured the time was right to make his position known on the team's trade discussions involving Maggette. Sterling said he wanted the seven-year veteran to remain with the team, Maggette said he hoped to stay and Baylor and Dunleavy agreed that few players available in trades could help the Clippers more than Maggette.

Looks like timvp could be on to something. With Maggette officially off the table, that probably takes Barry off the trade block since there aren't any other swingmen available that could come in and produce right away.

So unless the Spurs can find a point guard on an ending contract, this could be the team from here on out.

:wakeup

kris
01-26-2007, 06:26 AM
:lol Yeah it was hard to read it after that mistake, but I made it through it. But a lot of the Spurs players are old - Bowen/Horry/Barry/Fin - and you need (one of) those role players to step up in the postseason. We'll have to see if they have the legs.

I actually read it wrong and thought the writer was calling the Medium 3 aged or aging when he was actualy pointing out their age and collective talent as a positive thing. I do agree that after those guys the Spurs have simply gotten too old. However, I'm thinking if the Spurs do meet up with Dallas, Finley is going to give everything he has so that is one positive. Horry and Bowen also have the experience which will be at least a factor in the Spurs favor. If Barry can shoot 50% on 3's the Spurs might be in good shape. I do prefer the Spurs in a down and out, underdog role to a highly favored goliath role - especially with the team they have.

I'm still waiting for the game I actually pull for the Spurs instead of the other team. I think almost the whole year this year I've been pulling for their opponents to win. Dallas, Houston, Lakers... to me the Spurs don't deserve to win and I hate when they win right now because they're not really trying so I can no longer go for them. I'd like to pull for the Spurs in the playoffs, but if Duncan's still playing like a beach I can't.

ploto
01-26-2007, 08:34 AM
Looks like timvp could be on to something. With Maggette officially off the table, that probably takes Barry off the trade block since there aren't any other swingmen available that could come in and produce right away.

So unless the Spurs can find a point guard on an ending contract, this could be the team from here on out.

:wakeup
I mentioned yesterday that I think Mo Pete isn't going anywhere either. It was his agent doing most of the looking for a trade since he is in a contract year, but Mo is settling into his role off the bench and is turning into a guy who doesn't start but who finishes games. The fact that Toronto is winning now helps, too. They are 8-4 since Bosh came back from his injury, and 3 of those losses were close games with Dallas, Utah, and Phoenix.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-26-2007, 09:04 AM
They've said it all along. This is a new stance, not the same one.

Right, and Pop never said the same thing prior to trading Malik, etc. This sounds like classic CIA. Let's just hope that he's still got the same M.O. that he has in the past for making deals in situations like this.

It sounds more like he feels that the trade speculation was distracting some of the guys, so you can't blame him for telling them no trades are going to happen to try to settle them down.

you do realize it takes more than 1 team to make a trade right.

If said other teams don't want what you have, is it said Spurs fault they don't make a trade?

Think for the love of pete.

Are you on the Spurs payroll in the PR department? You should be. Quit defending Pop like you're his bitch.

No one's ever said the core (TD, TP, MG) is old. The talk is about everyone surrounding those three on the court. Come on Kris...

ploto
01-26-2007, 09:14 AM
Eh ...

The only thing that seems odd is that Pop never has done this before and there has been trade speculation every year for about 5 years since Malik hit the dog house. It leads me to believe that he actually does not expect a trade. Pop may be CIA with the media, but he is pretty honest with his players, and this information is coming from what he told them.

Marcus Bryant
01-26-2007, 10:00 AM
The Spurs have multiple expiring contracts and draft picks, so the ability to make trades is there. I'm sure they'll continue to look for a deal that makes sense.

If the Maggette deal is dead (as I expect it now is), the chances of an impact trade are pretty low. At most, I can imagine something like Williams, Beno and a pick for Atkins.

Problem is, they're only willing to take back contracts that end in 2008 at the latest. That kind of kills the value of an expiring contract, save for the team that is certain it doesn't want to keep a player who will become a free agent this summer (and get something of value for him - ie pick) or is willing to part with a player to get rid of the obligation for next season. Atkins falls in the former category.

In addition, they'll probably have to part with a pick to obtain anyone of value in a trade. So that's yet another young player who could've been brought into your system and developed into a role player. They've given up a few too many of those, which are quite valuable for a team like the Spurs that's had a problem landing near-star/star free agents. Plus those picks are locked into small salaries for 4 years.

Once you start making decisions for other than basketball reasons, you are shooting yourself in the foot.

SequSpur
01-26-2007, 10:12 AM
Beno isn't good at anything.... But shit, they are paying him so they need to have a reason.

Russ
01-26-2007, 10:17 AM
I really hate how people try to make the Spurs core seem old. They aren't. They should be in the midst of their prime right now.
Correct. The Spurs have put together a relatively young three-headed monster better than any other trio of players in the league. That's the hard part of the championship equation.

What's frustrating is that the Spurs haven't been able to do the easier part the last couple of years -- filling in role players around that great core. Any team that has won the title (includiung the Spurs) has had to do that on a year to year basis. The Spurs have tried but haven't succeeded lately.

And it need not require trades. Stephen Jackson, Devin Brown, Mario Elie and many others were aquired for nothing. That's where the failure has occurred.

The Truth #6
01-26-2007, 10:32 AM
Beno is skilled, that's not the problem. The problem is he plays as if he needs to be on anti-depressants. An out of shape point guard with no confidence isn't exactly the blueprint for success in the NBA.

The curse of Slovenia. Kidding?

MoSpur
01-26-2007, 10:34 AM
I would love Chucky Atkins for Beno. Like TIMVP stated, he does have skill, but for soem reason he isn't executing that skill during the games.

Mr. Body
01-26-2007, 10:35 AM
The curse of Slovenia. Kidding?

Bostjan was great for the NJN last night.

Bruno
01-26-2007, 10:44 AM
Arroyo, Duhon, Brevin Knight, Lue (not sure he is available) and Chucky Atkins are the only PGs available, quite cheap and better than Beno/Vaughn. Getting another backup PG won't be easy for Spurs given the few solutions available.

Saying Spurs should trade Beno for Atkins is easy but the reality is more complicate : it's not sure that Memphis will do it or is ready to trade Atkins or won't get a better offer from another team.

Bruno
01-26-2007, 10:47 AM
Bostjan was great for the NJN last night.

I remember when he owned Malone a couple of years ago. it was quite funny. :)

MoSpur
01-26-2007, 10:52 AM
Atkins would be great. He is also a free agent after '07 season

Mr. Body
01-26-2007, 11:02 AM
Atkins works, yeah, because his contract expires this year. Don't know what it would take to get him.

I assume we'll look for a new backup point in the draft this year, perhaps with the Milwaukee 2nd rounder.

Trifecta
01-26-2007, 11:05 AM
No trade is going to happen because we don't have shit to give up that other teams would actually want. I mean com'on, we hate our bench so why would anyone else see anything there?

The one move I can't see NOT happening is an E Williams trade. Surely you can get at least draft picks out of him and right now those picks look really attractive if we're not going to play him.

Manny :clap

You beat me to the punch!

Straight up -- the SPURS have no trade bait! The Big 3 are out of the question!

nkdlunch
01-26-2007, 11:09 AM
http://www.aurorawdc.com/ci/cia_logo.gif

pad300
01-26-2007, 11:13 AM
Arroyo, Duhon, Brevin Knight, Lue (not sure he is available) and Chucky Atkins are the only PGs available, quite cheap and better than Beno/Vaughn. Getting another backup PG won't be easy for Spurs given the few solutions available.

Saying Spurs should trade Beno for Atkins is easy but the reality is more complicate : it's not sure that Memphis will do it or is ready to trade Atkins or won't get a better offer from another team.

I'm thinking your list is at least 1 short - Kevin Ollie in Philly. Anyone off older than 28 on that team is available - they are in complete rebuild. He's better than Beno statistically, and he's a veteran who doesn't have any kind of a bad rep. Compare Beno and Ollie
Beno
http://www.82games.com/0607/06SAS3A.HTM
Ollie
http://www.82games.com/0607/06PHI4A.HTM

Statistically, Ollie is a better shot (EFG%), a better passer, a better rebounder, and makes less TO's. He's a better PG than current Beno. (looking back to last year, Beno was much better than this year, but Ollie was still marginally better at passing, rebounding, and TO's. However, last year, Beno shot much better).

Big Shot Rob
01-26-2007, 11:24 AM
You guys have obviously never bought a new car.

The worst negotiating stance to have is desperation. The ability to get up and walk away from the table is a sign of strength.

I think this article was leaked on purpose--Parker said the same thing yesterday as reported on WOAI.

My view is that discussions are stalling and Pop is using the media to put pressure on the other side.

Lets wait a few days now...

Mr. Body
01-26-2007, 11:28 AM
I think this article was leaked on purpose--Parker said the same thing yesterday as reported on WOAI.

Oh yes, I think so, too. The Horry and Parker comments are too concerted otherwise.

PhxDog
01-26-2007, 11:29 AM
From Vecsey today:

In falling again at home, to the Yao Ming-less Rockets, the Spurs got 11 points out of the four front-courtmen utilized by Gregg Popovich not named Tim Duncan. Is being overly dependent offensively with one big man any way to win a championship? So how come San Antonio is preoccupied on obtaining a two-way guard like Chucky Atkins?

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01262007/sports/clipped_short_sports_peter_vecsey.htm?page=1

A two-way guard? Chucky Atkins? Vecsey is looking pretty bad lately (on NBATV)...I guess whatever he's got is making him delirious.

Extra Stout
01-26-2007, 11:38 AM
The Spurs had discussions with the Los Angeles Clippers about forward Corey Maggette, but team officials were reluctant to include both Udrih and Barry in a possible deal because it would cost them two of their best ball-handlers. The Clippers have fielded several offers for Maggette, but have remained patient while debating whether to trade him.

Some Spurs officials also think it will be difficult to find a more skilled backup point guard than Udrih, whose inconsistency has repeatedly raised Popovich's ire.
Translation: The front office has its hands tied on making any moves that increase payroll past 2008; therefore, they are forced into making extremely lame excuses about how Beno Udrih is indispensable.

His Tim hired an Orlando-area realtor yet?

Bruno
01-26-2007, 11:42 AM
I'm thinking your list is at least 1 short - Kevin Ollie in Philly.

No, Ollie is old and can't shoot. Give Vaughn the backup PG spot and he will be as good as Ollie.

timvp
01-26-2007, 04:00 PM
Arroyo, Duhon, Brevin Knight, Lue (not sure he is available) and Chucky Atkins are the only PGs available, quite cheap and better than Beno/Vaughn.

I'm not a huge Arroyo fan. Bad defender and after he had success in the Olympics, it went to his head. Had run-ins with Jerry Sloan and Larry Brown, so I wouldn't expect him to work well with Pop. He's better than Beno but he'd be a risk.

Knight and Duhon can't really shoot and that could hurt their transition to the Spurs. Knight and Lue have been injured.

Chucky Atkins isn't a very good defender, but he's probably the best plug and play option for the Spurs. The bad thing is he's been hot lately (29 points and 15 assists in his last game off the bench) so there are going to be a lot of teams going after him. That'll drive up the price.

For this year, I see Atkins as the best option of the listed point guards. Long term, I like Duhon because he's a great defender and has shown to be a clutch shooter.

zeleni
01-26-2007, 04:15 PM
Beno is not a good player. I am very sad in fact. Slow, bad, not interested.

Bruno
01-26-2007, 04:43 PM
Duhon is a good shooter in fact, he is just in a big shooting slump for a little more than one month.

cheguevara
01-26-2007, 04:45 PM
You guys actually beleive Pop?????? :lmao

Bandit2981
01-26-2007, 05:08 PM
"(Pop) made a statement last night that he wasn't trading anybody, that we were going to do it together, that this group of guys is going to do it as a team," Robert Horry said.
Translation: Some of you have sucked so bad out there, you have no trade value left. We're stuck with you. :drunk