PDA

View Full Version : Spurs after Atkins

2Cleva
01-26-2007, 04:05 PM
I know what Popovich said but thats not the word across the board. I didn't see this posted yet. This from a Vescey article about the Lakers trying to get Kidd.

In falling again at home, to the Yao Ming-less Rockets, the Spurs got 11 points out of the four front-courtmen utilized by Gregg Popovich not named Tim Duncan. Is being overly dependent offensively with one big man any way to win a championship? So how come San Antonio is preoccupied on obtaining a two-way guard like Chucky Atkins?

Link (http://www.nypost.com/seven/01262007/sports/clipped_short_sports_peter_vecsey.htm?page=0)

2Cleva
01-26-2007, 04:07 PM
And the only two-ways Atkins goes on defense is in the face and in his ass.

Spurminator
01-26-2007, 04:10 PM
Atkins is on an expiring contract. I can't imagine the Grizzlies would trade that unless they had an opportunity to improve their potential for future seasons. Unless they think Beno has that kind of potential, I don't see anything of value the Spurs could offer. Seems like Damon Stoudamire would be a better choice if they're looking to ship someone out.

Mr. Body
01-26-2007, 04:10 PM
It was found in some other thread somewhere. I doubt the Spurs would bother with this trade, but who knows.

MannyIsGod
01-26-2007, 04:12 PM
Man, Chucky Atkins coming in would be awesome. But if Peter V is reporting it you can bet it isn't happening.

nkdlunch
01-26-2007, 04:12 PM
Spurs will not give up anything more other than Beno and the Coyote for this guy. book it

Atkins sucks horribly but would he be an upgrade from beno? maybe but not for sure

Medvedenko
01-26-2007, 04:13 PM
Sucky Crapkins just had a game of 29 and 15 I believe...still he's horrible and his D was the worst I've ever seen.

MajorMike
01-26-2007, 04:14 PM
Spurs will not give up anything more other than Beno and the Coyote for this guy. book it

:elephant

mardigan
01-26-2007, 04:14 PM
Beno for Atkins straight up would work perfect, the Grizz are about to start trading everyone for the future, and Beno is a young point with Finals experience, why wouldnt the Grizz do this

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
01-26-2007, 04:15 PM

Atkins sucks horribly but would he be an upgrade from beno? maybe but not for sure

Do you actually watch Spurs games?

mardigan
01-26-2007, 04:16 PM
Sucky Crapkins just had a game of 29 and 15 I believe...still he's horrible and his D was the worst I've ever seen.
His d isnt that bad, guy can shoot 3s and distribute, Ive been high on this guy since the offseason, but it probably still wont happen

MajorMike
01-26-2007, 04:16 PM
and Beno is a young point with Finals experience,

Yeah; Finals experience in single handedly throwing a game away.

nkdlunch
01-26-2007, 04:17 PM
Do you actually watch Spurs games?

have you ever seen Chuky Atkins play????

trust me, he ain't that much better than Beno.

Bob Lanier
01-26-2007, 04:20 PM
His d isnt that bad
You're wrong.

Atkins is a little better than Beno, although Beno's a far better defender.

MoSpur
01-26-2007, 04:20 PM
I can see the Grizz doing this trade and the Spurs too. Beno doesn't have a large contract so its not like the Grizz are going to be setback if they choose to get Beno. Atkins is solid backup and an upgrade.

mardigan
01-26-2007, 04:21 PM
No im not wrong, saying Beno is a far better defender than anyone is wrong. And playing in the Finals is Finals experience no matter how you look at it. And at least Atkins can make a open 3

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
01-26-2007, 04:21 PM

Yea, I've seen him play... I'm sure he can do better than 35% shooting from the field, and 27% behind the 3 point line.

MoSpur
01-26-2007, 04:22 PM

Maybe skills wise he isn't better, but Atkins produces more than Beno. I am willing to bet the Spurs would like to trade Beno for Chucky if the Grizz were interested.

Marcus Bryant
01-26-2007, 04:23 PM
So now Pop gets his ideas from timvp.

Spurs after the guy whose contract expires this summer. Go figure.

mardigan
01-26-2007, 04:24 PM
13 points and almost 5 assists off the bench would be nice, 43% fg, 81% ft, 37% 3s aint bad

E20
01-26-2007, 04:25 PM
From what I've seen in LA and Memphis, Atkins is a pretty solid backup for TP scoring/assist wise. He may not play Spurs D, but as long as he puts in the effort and the greater team D makes up for it that should be a pretty solid trade.

mardigan
01-26-2007, 04:27 PM
Make this f ing trade

Duncanoypi
01-26-2007, 04:28 PM
Atkins,Vaughn,Delk,Claxton...i always think they're brothers...

Spurs Brazil
01-26-2007, 04:29 PM
Anything is better than Beno

mardigan
01-26-2007, 04:30 PM
Atkins,Vaughn,Delk,Claxton...i always think they're brothers...
The quad ballers

Duncanoypi
01-26-2007, 04:48 PM
^they still need one for their starting five...

C- Atkins
PF- Vaughn
SF- Delk
SG- Claxton
PG- ?

mardigan
01-26-2007, 04:48 PM
Elson?

Extra Stout
01-26-2007, 04:50 PM
If LJ Ellis is willing to work cheaper than RC Buford, he might become the next Spurs GM.

Bruno
01-26-2007, 04:52 PM
Chucky isn't a good defender and is a chucker (low FG%). However, he is still better than Vaughn and better than the actual Beno. Unless Beno turns the corner before the trade deadline (it's less and less likely), I'll trade Beno for him.
I don't think Spurs should trade a lot to get him, Beno+late second round pick is the most I think they should offer to get him. I wouldn't trade the Bucks second round pick for him.

mardigan
01-26-2007, 04:55 PM
43% fg is still way better than what Beno shoots

AFBlue
01-26-2007, 05:11 PM
Maybe skills wise he isn't better, but Atkins produces more than Beno. I am willing to bet the Spurs would like to trade Beno for Chucky if the Grizz were interested.

I agree, but the key phrase is "if the Grizz were interested."

I think Beno still has potential and his psyche isn't irrepairably damaged, but it will take a change of scenery. In that way, it's like the JR Smith deal. In the end he was gotten for peanuts (Eisley's expiring contract? CMON!), but he just needed a change of scenery. IMO, Beno will be had for peanuts and will end up a decent backup PG in this league.

Bottom Line: Atkins > Peanuts = no deal

timvp
01-26-2007, 05:12 PM
Yeah, I don't know if it's a good sign if SpursTalk is ahead of the Spurs' front office. I've been targeting Chucky Atkins as of late, but more out of knowing what the Spurs would look for rather than his skill level.

Atkins is a player on an expiring contract on a bad team that probably doesn't plan on re-signing him. If that is the case, the Grizzlies might as well get something for him instead of just letting him walk at the end of the season.

But yeah, as Bruno said, he isn't a player you give up much for. The trade I like is Eric Williams, Beno Udrih and a 2nd round pick for Chucky Atkins and Jake Tsakalidis. Tsakalidis is another expiring contract and he's a big body the Spurs could use to throw again Shaq or Yao.

mardigan
01-26-2007, 05:14 PM
^^I like that trade, works for both teams. I wanted the Spurs to sign this guy in the offseason and we ended up with Vaughn, your right though, if a trade goes down that we have been talking about for awhile, thats a little scary

AFBlue
01-26-2007, 05:14 PM
Yeah, I don't know if it's a good sign if SpursTalk is ahead of the Spurs' front office. I've been targeting Chucky Atkins as of late, but more out of knowing what the Spurs would look for rather than his skill level.

Atkins is a player on an expiring contract on a bad team that probably doesn't plan on re-signing him. If that is the case, the Grizzlies might as well get something for him instead of just letting him walk at the end of the season.

But yeah, as Bruno said, he isn't a player you give up much for. The trade I like is Eric Williams, Beno Udrih and a 2nd round pick for Chucky Atkins and Jake Tsakalidis. Tsakalidis is another expiring contract and he's a big body the Spurs could use to throw again Shaq or Yao.

I like it...

infinite styles
01-26-2007, 05:20 PM
I haven't been watching any Grizz games this year so I'm asking what their stance is with Stromile Swift. I know he's been out lately with back spasms but if I recall they didn't really want him back when they traded for Rudy Gay.

mardigan
01-26-2007, 05:22 PM
I was thinking about Stro Show too, but I think he might have a huge contract, and Im not sure if we need another big who cant rebound

infinite styles
01-26-2007, 05:26 PM
I was thinking about Stro Show too, but I think he might have a huge contract, and Im not sure if we need another big who cant rebound

I know he's got 2 years left on his contract but don't know how much he's really getting paid. I just like the idea of getting a long athletic big man. Just a thought.

Mr. Body
01-26-2007, 05:27 PM
I could see Udrih shooting himself out of his slump and not having Pop-demon in his head. He could be decent for the run 'n' gun Grizz.

SoCal Lakeshow
01-26-2007, 05:32 PM
He would be a good fit for the Spurs.

mardigan
01-26-2007, 05:33 PM
I know he's got 2 years left on his contract but don't know how much he's really getting paid. I just like the idea of getting a long athletic big man. Just a thought.
A good thought, Ive always liked Stro Show, he just never seems to want to work hard

timvp
01-26-2007, 05:41 PM
Another thing to think about is Jerry West is a big Fabricio Oberto fan. I wouldn't trade Oberto in a package just to get Atkins, but perhaps if they want to throw in one of their athletes (Dahntay Jones, Alexander Johnson, etc.) something can be done.

T Park
01-26-2007, 05:45 PM
God, have we really fallen as far as to want Jake Tsakalidis?

Sigh... :depressed

whottt
01-26-2007, 05:45 PM
I wouldn't trade for Atkins...

Back up PG is not going to be the difference in our season...SF is. Save Beno for that trade.

Besides, Atkins has a history of cancerous actions...our team has enough chemistry issues right now, for the first time in a long time, and Atkins sure as hell isn't going to fix that issue.

I say we kick Finley's ass to the curb and give his spot to Williams...he's an uptight player and the Spurs have taken on his uptight demeanor. That'll do more to improve our immediate championship prospects than trading for big mouthed chucker like Crapkins.

Marcus Bryant
01-26-2007, 05:48 PM
Holt has made Spurs fans lust after Chucky Atkins.

infinite styles
01-26-2007, 05:49 PM
Anyway they would give up Warrick instead of Atkins

MannyIsGod
01-26-2007, 05:49 PM
Backup point guard is far more important than you're thinking. I honestly think having any type of scoring in that spot when Tony leaves the court is really important.

I would love Chucky Atkins.

BTW, I think its far more likely Peter V is getting his info from this board than that the Spurs are actually in the process of doing this. LJ is his source.

Spurminator
01-26-2007, 05:50 PM
Surely the Grizzlies can do better than Beno Freaking Udrih for Atkins' expiring contract...

timvp
01-26-2007, 05:50 PM
Back up PG is not going to be the difference in our season...SF is. Save Beno for that trade.

As bad as the backup swingmen have been, I think it's pretty easy to argue that backup PG spot is even more of a need right now. Beno is playing at an amazingly low level right now.

I'd be all for moving Beno in a trade to get a decent small forward ... problem is there is no one out there outside of Maggette that would make much of a difference this year. I've looked and haven't found a small forward that would help the Spurs and would be available for what the Spurs have to offer.

Any ideas?

MannyIsGod
01-26-2007, 05:51 PM
The Spurs need a spark off the bench to provide some quick points. A PG like Chucky Atkins is the place to fill that need.

mardigan
01-26-2007, 05:54 PM
I was thinking Jarvis Hayes from the Wiz, he doesnt get many minutes, is young and athletic. I atotally agree with the backup pg spot to, the dropoff when Tony comes out is gigantic, someone who can score in that spot would help immensly

dg7md
I'd love to have Stromile Swift.

objective
Another thing to think about is Jerry West is a big Fabricio Oberto fan.

True. IIRC the Spurs stopped negotiations with Scola in 05 because they just had to sign Oberto because he was about to sign with Memphis and the Spurs couldn't let that happen.

Marcus Bryant
01-26-2007, 05:57 PM
Was Atkins born when LBJ was President?

MajicMan
01-26-2007, 06:02 PM
Thought I would never see the day Spurs fans would be excited to have Sucky Crapkins on their roster. Is it that bad guys? He can hit the three though I can tell you that. With the way the Spurs move the ball he can hit that three all day and spread the floor. His defense is just miserable though.

midgetonadonkey
01-26-2007, 06:04 PM
Thought I would never see the day Spurs fans would be excited to have Sucky Crapkins on their roster. Is it that bad guys? He can hit the three though I can tell you that. With the way the Spurs move the ball he can hit that three all day and spread the floor. His defense is just miserable though.

I hope you didn't stay up all night thinking of that zinger.

timvp
01-26-2007, 06:05 PM
And whottt, I doubt Atkins would cause chemistry problems here because he'd have to want to come to San Antonio. He has the right to refuse any trade because he signed a one-year contract that will make him Bird eligible next summer. If Atkins accepts a trade, he'd lose his Bird status.

Atkins could stay in Memphis and put up big stats under Tony Barone and cash in this summer by either re-signing with the Grizzlies or via a sign-and-trade. If he accepts a trade to the Spurs, he'd know his minutes would go down and he'd lose any chance of having one final pay day.

He'd be another in the long line of Spurs who'd give up money to join the team.

mardigan
01-26-2007, 06:07 PM
Its not like we think he will save the franchise, he is just a role player that can help, whats wrong with wanting that?

Kori Ellis
01-26-2007, 06:07 PM
What's funny is that when I first read this:

So how come San Antonio is preoccupied on obtaining a two-way guard like Chucky Atkins?

I assumed it meant preoccupied with finding a two-way guard (for example Chucky Atkins) - not proccupied with Chucky Atkins (who is a two-way guard).

Yes I know he's really not a two-way guard - I just thought Vecsey was giving a bad example.

I'm guessing there would have been a comma after guard, if he meant it how I interpreted it. But when I read it, I just thought it meant they were preoccupied with getting a guard. Not preoccupied with getting Atkins.

timvp
01-26-2007, 06:11 PM
Surely the Grizzlies can do better than Beno Freaking Udrih for Atkins' expiring contract...

Atkins isn't worth much more than a low level prospect (Beno) and a second round pick. Plus the Grizzlies are looking to open up cap space, so getting back Eric Williams' expiring contract would help do that.

The only other contending team I can think of who is close to as desperate as the Spurs are to find a backup point guard is Detroit. All the other teams currently in the playoff picture have backup point guards at least as good as Atkins.

Spurminator
01-26-2007, 06:13 PM
Atkins isn't worth much more than a low level prospect (Beno) and a second round pick. Plus the Grizzlies are looking to open up cap space, so getting back Eric Williams' expiring contract would help do that.

That's my point, though... Unless I'm missing something, Atkins IS an expiring contract, so why wouldn't they just keep him?

Kermit
01-26-2007, 06:13 PM
he would probably rather go to detroit considering he's played there before.

MannyIsGod
01-26-2007, 06:19 PM
Since when do players who are traded loser their Bird rights?

timvp
01-26-2007, 06:24 PM
That's my point, though... Unless I'm missing something, Atkins IS an expiring contract, so why wouldn't they just keep him?

The thinking would be that Beno is cheaper option than any point guard they could replace Atkins with. And if they can find a way to get rid of Stoudamire, Kyle Lowry and Beno could make a pretty decent point guard combo for a rebuilding team. Plus Jerry West always loves those second round picks.

But yeah, the Grizzlies would probably have to actually want Beno to do the trade ... and that could be a problem :lol

P.S.

The Spurs could replace Beno with Vaughn if the Grizzlies don't want Beno. But then the Spurs might have to give them more than a second round pick . . .

timvp
01-26-2007, 06:27 PM
Since when do players who are traded loser their Bird rights?

Players who sign a one-year contract that would then make them Bird eligible after that year lose their Bird rights if they are traded. Because of that, they have the right to reject any trade.

It was the same case for Reggie Evans and Flip Murray last year. Both accepted trades but then lost their Bird rights.

AFBlue
01-26-2007, 06:39 PM
Another thing to think about is Jerry West is a big Fabricio Oberto fan. I wouldn't trade Oberto in a package just to get Atkins, but perhaps if they want to throw in one of their athletes (Dahntay Jones, Alexander Johnson, etc.) something can be done.

Is this public knowledge or LJ knowledge?

whottt
01-26-2007, 07:26 PM
Chucky's really kept Memphis from sucking this year....

whottt
01-26-2007, 07:28 PM
Backup point guard is far more important than you're thinking. I honestly think having any type of scoring in that spot when Tony leaves the court is really important.

I would love Chucky Atkins.

BTW, I think its far more likely Peter V is getting his info from this board than that the Spurs are actually in the process of doing this. LJ is his source.

Tony's 24 freaking years old...play him 48, and if you want a PG who can't play D use Barry, he hits more of his shots and is a better passer and rebounder.

bdictjames
01-26-2007, 07:33 PM
How old is Chucky? His game was on NBATV a while ago, where he scored 20 points in 6-of-6 3-pt shooting against Detroit on 2005.

Manu_The _Best
01-26-2007, 07:35 PM
Man, Chucky Atkins coming in would be awesome. But if Peter V is reporting it you can bet it isn't happening.

Atkins can really help us with the scoring - he is NOT that good of a defender, but the Spurs have enough defenders, they need someone to score and Atkins will be a good addition to do just that - his 3-pt shot is a killer... :clap :clap :clap

MannyIsGod
01-27-2007, 08:14 AM
Players who sign a one-year contract that would then make them Bird eligible after that year lose their Bird rights if they are traded. Because of that, they have the right to reject any trade.

It was the same case for Reggie Evans and Flip Murray last year. Both accepted trades but then lost their Bird rights.I did not know that. I am CBA rusty.

MannyIsGod
01-27-2007, 08:16 AM
Tony's 24 freaking years old...play him 48, and if you want a PG who can't play D use Barry, he hits more of his shots and is a better passer and rebounder.I completely agree that Barry whould be playing more backup 1 minutes. I've said that for awhile. But if Pop won't do that, then at least picking up a serviceable backup will fix something.

George Gervin's Afro
01-27-2007, 10:56 AM
Isn't atkins 39 yrs old something to that affect? is he a horrible free throw shooter?

Kermit
01-27-2007, 10:58 AM
"is he a horrible free throw shooter?"

then he should fit in pretty well with some of the players on the spurs.

bigdog
01-27-2007, 11:21 AM
God, have we really fallen as far as to want Jake Tsakalidis?

Sigh... :depressed
yeah,i would never want jake trakalidis......but atkins, ive wanted the spurs to get him since the summer and get rid of beno

Bruno
01-31-2007, 04:51 AM
http://www.draftexpress.com/blogs.php?blogid=6

January 30th, 2007

By Mike Schmidt

Conroy Added to Memphis

After agreeing to a buyout with Guard Eddie Jones, the Memphis Grizzlies have signed Will Conroy of the Tulsa 66ers to a 10 day contract. Conroy has spent the last season and a half with the 66ers, and has been the best point guard in the D-League this season. He is the 8th D-League player to receive a chance in the NBA this season. With Tulsa, Conroy averaged 15.8 points, 10.3 assists, and 5.4 rebounds per game. The Grizzlies currently have Damon Stoudamire and Chucky Atkins at the point guard spot, with rookie Kyle Lowry out for the season. From what we're hearing, Chucky Atkins is not seeing eye to eye with new head coach Tony Barone, and the Grizzlies have been trying to showcase him lately in an attempt to get some value for him in a trade. Atkins had an unbelievable 29 point, 15 assist, 1 turnover performance last week in a win at Utah. Conroy is expected to stick around in Memphis for the entire season, and will almost certainly see minutes once/if Atkins is traded.

Ronaldo McDonald
01-31-2007, 05:17 AM
Atkins is on an expiring contract. I can't imagine the Grizzlies would trade that unless they had an opportunity to improve their potential for future seasons. Unless they think Beno has that kind of potential, I don't see anything of value the Spurs could offer. Seems like Damon Stoudamire would be a better choice if they're looking to ship someone out.

Come on. Do you really think anyone is out there shopping for Beno? No one fucking wants Beno; WNBA teams would turn this guy down for shit cupcakes

timvp
01-31-2007, 08:48 AM
From what we're hearing, Chucky Atkins is not seeing eye to eye with new head coach Tony Barone, and the Grizzlies have been trying to showcase him lately in an attempt to get some value for him in a trade.

I don't think they are going to get much more than E. Will, Beno (or Vaughn) and a pick. There isn't a huge market for a backup point guard ... with the only real competition I see being the Pistons.

AFBlue
01-31-2007, 09:09 AM
I don't think they are going to get much more than E. Will, Beno (or Vaughn) and a pick. There isn't a huge market for a backup point guard ... with the only real competition I see being the Pistons.

And that's legit competition because they can offer Flip Murray. Murray's not a superstar, but he's a decent combo guard on a short, cheap contract. I think they'd take Murray over anything the Spurs would offer.

timvp
01-31-2007, 09:12 AM
Flip Murray might be the worst player in the league. A tiny shooting guard who loves to shoot but doesn't shoot for a high percentage is usually not a wanted man.

Jerry West may be interested, but there's a reason why the Pistons will trade him for anything.

AFBlue
01-31-2007, 09:26 AM
Flip Murray might be the worst player in the league. A tiny shooting guard who loves to shoot but doesn't shoot for a high percentage is usually not a wanted man.

Jerry West may be interested, but there's a reason why the Pistons will trade him for anything.

Almost 7ppg and over 2apg in 20 minutes doesn't qualify him for worst player in the league, but I see your point. The fact is that no offer for Chucky Atkins will blow the Grizzlies away, so it should remain a tight competition for his services.

AFBlue
01-31-2007, 09:46 AM
I think Chucky might be playing himself out of the Spurs' range...

15, 29, 11, 23, and 22 ppg over the last five with no lower than 4 assists

Texas_Ranger
01-31-2007, 12:17 PM
He could be good for the team, specially because Beno sucks.

mountainballer
01-31-2007, 12:40 PM
if I was thinking of the back-up PG I would love to see as a Spurs, Atkins doesn't come to my mind.
but in the current situation, even an undersized shoot first - no defense PG would be an upgrade. Atkins collected impressive numbers lately, but it is a bit of the Mike James syndrom.
did anybody mention, that Grizzlies might want Butler? if they trade Gasol (what is just a matter of time), they are very thin at C/PF.
yes I know, we would just get half a pound back for every pound, but it is out of any chance that Butler will help this year and word is that the Spurs do regret the signing of Butler anyhow.

MoSpur
01-31-2007, 12:55 PM
I think the Spurs are disappointed with what Butler has shown so far, which is nothing. I don't think the Grizzlies would take Butler. Maybe Eric Williams. I would think that both teams want expiring contracts.

BeerIsGood!
01-31-2007, 12:56 PM
Since Butler hasn't seen any court time outside of the practice facility, it's hard to say what his improvement has been. The only people who see it are the Spurs organization, and they may see something in him for the future given his very young age. If that is the case, I wouldn't part with him for Atkins.

Gros Membres!
01-31-2007, 01:15 PM
I'd do a Beno for Atkins swap and, if the Griz want, throw in Butler. West seems to be in the rebuilding mood and he can have two of our crappy guys for one of his.

I am hesitant on letting Eric Williams go. I would take Williams' vet experience over Butler's lazy a$$ in the playoffs.

mardigan
01-31-2007, 01:23 PM
Butler is a young project with potential, so your idea is to trade away one of our few young players to keep another old one? Good thinking, we should trade Parker for Gary Payton to right? Bottom line is niether Williams or Butler will have a impact on our playoff run, and Butler might come in handy in the next couple years. Beno +2nd round pick for Atkins would be enough

objective
01-31-2007, 01:45 PM
Since Butler hasn't seen any court time outside of the practice facility, it's hard to say what his improvement has been. The only people who see it are the Spurs organization, and they may see something in him for the future given his very young age. If that is the case, I wouldn't part with him for Atkins.

actually, people know what has gone on improvement-wise with Butler thanks to Ludden from his mailbag column a week ago. Ludden is on the Spurs beat and puts out the company line, he doesn't go off reservation.

So when he writes something like this :

The Spurs have seen what he can do in practice, and it isn’t much.

It isn't speculation, that's the word Ludden has been given.

itzsoweezee
01-31-2007, 01:55 PM
I know what Popovich said but thats not the word across the board. I didn't see this posted yet. This from a Vescey article about the Lakers trying to get Kidd.

Link (http://www.nypost.com/seven/01262007/sports/clipped_short_sports_peter_vecsey.htm?page=0)

"Vescey", nuff said.

AFBlue
01-31-2007, 02:07 PM
actually, people know what has gone on improvement-wise with Butler thanks to Ludden from his mailbag column a week ago. Ludden is on the Spurs beat and puts out the company line, he doesn't go off reservation.

It isn't speculation, that's the word Ludden has been given.

People know based off one question in a single "mailbag" post?

Obviously based on his lack of PT, he's not a finished product or instant contributor, but Jackie proved his mettle in real playing time for the Knicks. It's not his fault that the Spurs are in title contention and don't have the PT available to see what they've really got. I've said this before, but I'll repeat it:

You try losing 25-35 pounds of mass that you use to establish position in the post for scoring and rebounding and see how quickly you adjust....

He's clearly a wait-and-see prospect, but a legit one nonetheless. I'm sure Memphis would take him, though I'm not sure why the Spurs would give him up so easily.

objective
01-31-2007, 02:18 PM
People know based off one question in a single "mailbag" post?

Yes.

When Ludden writes things like that, they might as well be press releases because he's repeating what he's been told by the Spurs. And the Spurs are the ones who see Butler in practice, so that is the word.

Now in the same column Ludden didn't write Butler off as a disaster, only as someone who could still develop but wouldn't play this year.

mardigan
01-31-2007, 02:26 PM
^^^No your wrong, players can mature throughout the season, lose weight and become more productive, that one question serves for when the question is asked, doesnt mean shit

AFBlue
01-31-2007, 02:27 PM
Yes.

When Ludden writes things like that, they might as well be press releases because he's repeating what he's been told by the Spurs. And the Spurs are the ones who see Butler in practice, so that is the word.

Now in the same column Ludden didn't write Butler off as a disaster, only as someone who could still develop but wouldn't play this year.

Wouldn't play this year for the Spurs, but that's not news. I'd bet he could play for most of the lottery teams right now.

The simple fact is that his trade value isn't destroyed because he hasn't set foot on the floor this season. GMs have his previous season's stats to go off, and the context that he's a "rookie" on a veteran, championship-calibur team.

EDIT: This is a sidebar issue to the thread, so I'll tie it back in. I would only trade JB to the Grizz if the Spurs got Warrick back in the deal...

AFBlue
01-31-2007, 04:02 PM
^^^No your wrong, players can mature throughout the season, lose weight and become more productive, that one question serves for when the question is asked, doesnt mean shit

Not players that rely on that weight to play their game most effectively. He has the frame to build it back in muscle, but he's skinnier than he's ever been and that adjustment can't be easy.

2Cleva
01-31-2007, 04:53 PM
"Vescey", nuff said.

Actually Vescey can be very accurate. He nailed deals of Jamaal Magloire and Steve Francis that teams denied and they happend anyway.

The key to reading Vescey is the one-liners. The more he puts in, the less legit the stuff is. But when he truly has scoops (and he is connected) its much more straight to the point.

Manu_The _Best
01-31-2007, 07:01 PM

Chucky should fit with the Spurs - he can provide the "Kerr type" of offense we need... :madrun :madrun :madrun