PDA

View Full Version : Parker played like a true PG.

ArgSpursFan
01-27-2007, 09:20 AM
Tony Parker showed vs.the Grizzlies that he can be a really team oriented,more assisting and just a bit less scoring Point Guard.I think that was something that many posters here,and spurs fan in general were waiting to see from him,and he showed us that he can defenetly be one of the best point guards in this league.If he could average 7 or 8 apg and about 17 pts from now on,weīll be able to see a better ball movement and players like Barry more involved in the offense.I think with Tony playing this kind of PG basketball the spurs have more chances to win again this year.I hope he keeps on getting his teammates involved for the rest of the season.
GO SPURS!!!!!

ducks
01-27-2007, 09:20 AM
nash could not average 9 assist with the spurs UNLESS They cahnge the o

ArgSpursFan
01-27-2007, 09:22 AM
nash could not average 9 assist with the spurs UNLESS They cahnge the o

Well,if we have some games like last night,weīll see some more asisting on this team.

Kori Ellis
01-27-2007, 09:24 AM
The main difference last night was that the Spurs players were hitting their shots. The team shot 67% or somthing in the first half. That's why there were a lot of assists in the game.

But good job somehow starting another thread that is going to turn into Parker bashing :lol

ducks
01-27-2007, 09:25 AM
assist have always been a little overrated
unless you throw the ball and he gets a layup
you could throw a pass the guy is wide open and he bricks a shot
no assist for you except you throw an awesome pass
and some spur shooters have been ice cold

ArgSpursFan
01-27-2007, 09:25 AM
oh,by the way he was 9-12.that showes he doesnīt have to be Ivesonīs clone and shoot like crazy to become the best point guard in this league in a near future.

ArgSpursFan
01-27-2007, 09:27 AM
The main difference last night was that the Spurs players were hitting their shots. The team shot 67% or somthing in the first half. That's why there were a lot of assists in the game.

But good job somehow starting another thread that is going to turn into Parker bashing :lol

but,donīt you think the 67% has something to do with a better ball movement,and making the extra pass????

Kori Ellis
01-27-2007, 09:27 AM
oh,by the way he was 9-12.that showes he doesnīt have to be Ivesonīs clone and shoot like crazy to become the best point guard in this league in a near future.

He's shot over 50% for two seasons. Calling him an "Iverson clone" at any point was ridiculous anyway.

ducks
01-27-2007, 09:28 AM
when players hit their first shots their confidence grows and then they might hit most of the night
67% means the other team played no d

Kori Ellis
01-27-2007, 09:30 AM
but,donīt you think the 67% has something to do with a better ball movement,and making the extra pass????

Somewhat. But even in other games when the ball movement was excellent, the shots just weren't falling.

In the last few weeks, the Spurs were shooting like crap from 3. Most games in that stretch they were shooting in the 20's%. Last night they shot 11-for-19.

ArgSpursFan
01-27-2007, 09:31 AM
when players hit their first shots their confidence grows and then they might hit most of the night
67% means the other team played no d

All I know is that when the spurs share the ball, they win most of the times,period.

ducks
01-27-2007, 09:34 AM
All I know is that when the spurs share the ball, they win most of the times,period.
no when spurs play atleast 3/4 of basketball against a bad team or almost 48 minutes of good basketball they win the game
that includeds d and the o
and when pop does his job coaching

stewart
01-27-2007, 09:40 AM
totally agree with kori. assist only has to do with te ball going into the hoop a t the end. The real question to know if tony is a good point-guard is: does he find the most open man. making the shoot has nothig to do with the pointguard.

ArgSpursFan
01-27-2007, 09:43 AM
totally agree with kori. assist only has to do with te ball going into the hoop a t the end. The real question to know if tony is a good point-guard is: does he find the most open man. making the shoot has nothig to do with the pointguard.

Well,If his starts looking at his teammates more tham he does to the ream,he will.I really hope heīll do it.

1Parker1
01-27-2007, 09:53 AM

True. And also, he had about 12 or 13 shot attempts, which is right around his season average. I believe he averages something like 14.5 shots per game.

It also helped his case that Barry went 5-8 and Finley 6-10. Actually, Finley played very well in the first half and was really hitting his shots. That mid-range fadaway shot he's been hitting for a few games now. Which is why I was disapointed that Pop waited so long to put Finley back in the 3rd quarter....especially since he waited until the Grizz had all but tied the game.

Leetonidas
01-27-2007, 10:09 AM
I like Tony's assists and all, but I really think the Spurs play better when he scores 25 and dishes 5 or 6 assists.

TDMVPDPOY
01-27-2007, 10:18 AM
a game against the grizzlies is a measure of stick for parker hahahahhahaha lame

boutons_
01-27-2007, 10:20 AM
Tony averages 7.6 goals / 14.6 shots per game.

As Kori said, Tony's 8 AST vs Grizz aren't that impressive since the Spurs shot an extremely high 61% (vs their avg 48%). It was a pretty avg AST night for Tony.

MrChug
01-27-2007, 10:39 AM
Tony Parker showed vs.the Grizzlies...

The first first 6 words of the sentance says it all. Let's not give him the MVP just yet...it's only the WORST team in the league. Let's see him do that against the Suns or the Mavs for once in the big series and I'll start to believe in him. PERIOD.

ArgSpursFan
01-27-2007, 10:59 AM
Tony averages 7.6 goals / 14.6 shots per game.

As Kori said, Tony's 8 AST vs Grizz aren't that impressive since the Spurs shot an extremely high 61% (vs their avg 48%). It was a pretty avg AST night for Tony.

And HOW you think they got to 61%???
magically?I donīt think so.
what iīm trying to say here is that I donīt just look at the stats,I try to analize how they got there.It could be cause of taking less forced shots and having more confortables open looks,and that has something to do with ball movement,and making the extra pass.

boutons_
01-27-2007, 11:21 AM
"HOW"

They were very hot at 61%, just like so many nights this year they've been cold in the 30s and low 40s, missing easy open shots, even when receiving magical passes from your wizard Tony.

MannyIsGod
01-27-2007, 11:27 AM
I don't get it. Tony's gotta be one of the most efficient guards on offense in this league. How many of them shoot over 50%? Yet you guys get excited over a few assists that simply came because of hot shooting and bash him every other night?

I don't get it.

WalterBenitez
01-27-2007, 11:35 AM
any news on TP's wedding? :married:

exstatic
01-27-2007, 12:17 PM
I don't get it. Tony's gotta be one of the most efficient guards on offense in this league. How many of them shoot over 50%? Yet you guys get excited over a few assists that simply came because of hot shooting and bash him every other night?

I don't get it.
Ding ding ding. We have a winner.

Oh, and I agree with Kori that comparisons to Iverson are stupid. Tony takes about half the shots that AI does, and shoots about 10% better FGs.

For you bashers? Without Tony playing lights out, we go down in the first round with TD in the lineup for the first time ever, to Sacto last year. Yes, Tim and Manu had good series, too, but I'm talking to the REAL bashers, the ones who want to get rid of Tony for a big and plug in just anyone. It doesn't work that way.

Manu_The _Best
01-27-2007, 01:36 PM

Kori, tony played well yesterday - 8 asts is what we NEED to see from him to say the least, but the other players MUST hit the shots - let see whether this pattern will continue, and the REAL test is coming during the rodeo show vs. the strong teams, Memphis doesn't any play defense, so we cannot judge anything by this victory...The good news is Timmy is playing great - in the last 2 games he was a MONSTER (9 blocks is a new high in his career!!!)...If Tony keeps an average of 8 asts per game, I will be very happy, but the Spurs MUST FIND consistent offense by the others since he will shoot less, but passing the ball...

GO SPURS!!!

itzsoweezee
01-27-2007, 01:58 PM
lol. now the players make shots and all of a sudden tony's a "true PG". when the other players don't make shots, tony's an iverson clone.

exstatic
01-27-2007, 01:59 PM
lol. now the players make shots and all of a sudden tony's a "true PG". when the other players don't make shots, tony's an iverson clone.
EXACTLY

v2freak
01-27-2007, 02:19 PM
For me to consider him being like Iverson, I'd look at the FGA mainly.

ArgSpursFan
01-27-2007, 04:29 PM
If you donīt get people involved,and play Iversonīs type of Basketball, youīre not a team minded point guard,and eventually the others players wont get confident without open looks or havinf many forced shots and thatīll kill you in the long run.

exstatic
01-27-2007, 04:39 PM
If you donīt get people involved,and play Iversonīs type of Basketball, youīre not a team minded point guard,and eventually the others players wont get confident without open looks or havinf many forced shots and thatīll kill you in the long run.
Pop would never put up with Tony playing like Iverson, so he hasn't and isn't. Some times the shots fall and he gets assists, sometimes they don't and he doesn't.

I'm just curious. How many games do you watch per season? Doesn't seem like very many.

ArgSpursFan
01-27-2007, 04:42 PM
Pop would never put up with Tony playing like Iverson, so he hasn't and isn't. Some times the shots fall and he gets assists, sometimes they don't and he doesn't.

I'm just curious. How many games do you watch per season? Doesn't seem like very many.

the think is I WATCH the games but I also try to analize the games,and see why we either, win or loose and htem look at the stats but just to see some numbers ,.guys like you just watch the games and look at the stats.thats the diference.never make a statement by just looking at the stats.the stats only wont reflect the whole pic

exstatic
01-27-2007, 04:54 PM
Except that you seem awfully concerned with the assists stat...for someone not concerned with stats, that is.
:lmao

ArgSpursFan
01-27-2007, 04:57 PM
Except that you seem awfully concerned with the assists stat...for someone not concerned with stats, that is.

Iīm more concerned with the spurs ball movement,cause Iīm tire of watching Parker passing the ball after realizing thereīs not shot for him. and that takes the team to a low field goal % cause of taking too many forced shots and not having good open looks for an easy shot.

ChumpDumper
01-27-2007, 05:00 PM
I alos hope that the rest of the Spurs make their open shots so Parker gets credited with more assists against the worst team in the league without its best player.

ginobili fan
01-27-2007, 05:10 PM
I like Tony's assists and all, but I really think the Spurs play better when he scores 25 and dishes 5 or 6 assists.

You're right because when tony has 25 points +, the spurs are 28-6(they showed it at nba tv)

exstatic
01-27-2007, 05:21 PM
Iīm more concerned with the spurs ball movement,cause Iīm tire of watching Parker passing the ball after realizing thereīs not shot for him. and that takes the team to a low field goal % cause of taking too many forced shots and not having good open looks for an easy shot.

What you don't realize is that this team takes a LOT of 3 point shots within the flow of their offense. It's also a motion offense, a concept you also don't seem to grasp. When there isn't a fast beak opportunity, Parker brings the ball up court and give it to a big man at the top of the key, and the team goes into their option cuts and moves. Parker may or may not even touch the ball again. If he does, he's likely looking for two things: an open shooter or a gap in the lane for a high percentage shot. He's good at finding both, it's just that there will be nights like Wednesday where the open shooters go 2-16 from beyond the arc, and nights like Friday where they shoot lights out, 61% overall.

T Park
01-27-2007, 05:27 PM
try to analize how they got there

Thats your first problem.

MannyIsGod
01-27-2007, 05:43 PM
I just think its retarded to not understand that when a team shoots better that generally assists go up as well!

smeagol
01-27-2007, 05:49 PM
I just think its retarded to not understand that when a team shoots better that generally assists go up as well!
:clap :clap

A simple concept if you ask me.

Spurminator
01-27-2007, 05:50 PM
Where's the "Beno played like an actual NBA player" thread? He had 5 ASSISTS!!

T Park
01-27-2007, 05:52 PM

Josepatches
01-27-2007, 06:12 PM
But its retarded to not understand that when you make a good pass it's easier to get a basket too

exstatic
01-27-2007, 06:18 PM
But its retarded to not understand that when you make a good pass it's easier to get a basket too
So, halfway through his sixth year in the league, Tony finally learned how to "make a good pass" like a light bulb coming on? Weak...

Josepatches
01-27-2007, 06:24 PM
No.It's not about Tony.It's only about FG% of the team.Nash made more than 11 assist per game because he made good pass to his teammates,not because his teammates are better shooters than others players of the league.

ChumpDumper
01-27-2007, 06:27 PM
So our players only miss open shots because Parker made a bad pass to them.

The hits just keep coming.

Josepatches
01-27-2007, 06:34 PM
Bruce Bowen(10th) and Brent Barry(3rd) are in the top10 of the league at 3P% and Manu is 17th.They do not miss so many shots.
Parker is a good PG but he is not as good as passing than other PG of the league.That's obvious.

ChumpDumper
01-27-2007, 06:35 PM
But when they do -- it's Parker's fault.

Josepatches
01-27-2007, 06:41 PM
I didn't say that.But if you only made 10 or 12 good pass per game then you cannot get many assist.

ChumpDumper
01-27-2007, 06:42 PM
If the offense is set up to only allow for 10 to 12 passes from you a game that lead to shots, then you cannot get many assists.

Josepatches
01-27-2007, 06:53 PM
Maybe because you are not able to made that kind of play.That's not Tony's fault.He is a great scorer but he's not the best PG of the history.

ChumpDumper
01-27-2007, 06:55 PM
Yes, if only we had Andre Miller we'd be undefeated.

Josepatches
01-27-2007, 06:59 PM
Well I donīt think that you can make a championship team around Parker but you can make that around Nash or Kidd in the past

ChumpDumper
01-27-2007, 07:00 PM
Well I donīt think that you can make a championship team around Parker but you can make that around Nash or Kidd in the past
As evidenced by all the rings Kidd and Nash have between them.

Josepatches
01-27-2007, 07:02 PM
Parker won a lot with France too

ChumpDumper
01-27-2007, 07:04 PM
Since when are NBA championships won in France?

Josepatches
01-27-2007, 07:07 PM
When he plays with his national team

ChumpDumper
01-27-2007, 07:09 PM
So according to you, when Tony Parker plays with his national team, he is playing for an NBA championship.

We really do need an admission test for this board.

Josepatches
01-27-2007, 07:10 PM
I'm talking about you canīt make a championship team around Parker.I never said NBA championship.I think you need glasses

ChumpDumper
01-27-2007, 07:12 PM
And Canada has won the World Championship how many times?

Josepatches
01-27-2007, 07:15 PM
Well,maybe the right word is that you can make a winning team around them but not around Parker.

ChumpDumper
01-27-2007, 07:18 PM
:lol Nice backtracking. You can make a winning team around any of them.

ChumpDumper
01-27-2007, 07:20 PM
Oh, and New Jersey is 20-23. Care to backtrack further?

Josepatches
01-27-2007, 07:23 PM
Really you need a new glasses.Yes,I said Kidd but I said in the past too.
New Jersey played 2 Finals of the NBA.

ChumpDumper
01-27-2007, 07:26 PM
So you can build an NBA championship team in France around Jason Kidd with the aid of a time machine.

Thank you for your valuable contribution to the internets.

Josepatches
01-27-2007, 07:28 PM
Yes.Thanks

exstatic
01-27-2007, 07:50 PM
^^PWN3D

exstatic
01-27-2007, 07:56 PM
It's amazing the ninth dimensional "logic" that the Parker hater use to try to "prove" that our outstanding All Star lead guard is a scrub, when in fact he isn't.