PDA

View Full Version : Is Point Guard position overrated?

Duncanoypi
01-27-2007, 09:49 AM
I mean, their only main duty is to bring the ball from down court...so if you have one to 3 players that can dribble the ball enough to cross the half court,then thats not a problem.Then in your half court offense,if you have motion offense,those five players can pass the ball to their teammates. I've watched Wizards last night,and agent zero is not a point guard he just bring the ball upcourt then pass to ball to his teammates and set his self for an open shot. :lol

Kori Ellis
01-27-2007, 09:53 AM
Look at how much the Spurs have struggled to have a decent backup PG for the last few years and then tell me it's overrated again. :lol

1Parker1
01-27-2007, 09:58 AM
People don't realize how hard a PG's job is. When you handle the basketball 90% of the time, I'm guessing your position is important.

ArgSpursFan
01-27-2007, 10:04 AM
A good point guard has to be able to read the defense and alway be mentaly ahead on the game to be able to know who´ll be the open man.I don´t think is an easy job at all.

TDMVPDPOY
01-27-2007, 10:18 AM
according to beno, NO.

WalterBenitez
01-27-2007, 11:39 AM
according to beno, NO.

Go slow baby, PG is necessary He(or she ... ok bad joke about Beno, sorry) mus be smart enough to run the offense and improvise whenever feel necessary.

See Nash, Kidd ... they are really good; watch also the next super PG ... TOny Parker, let the kid develop ... assuming he's smart enough to realize when he's cold to pass the ball.

JamStone
01-27-2007, 12:04 PM
Completely depends on the offensive system the team runs and the personnel the team has.

When the system caters to decision-making by a point guard like the Suns or the Nets, a point guard is very important. With a system like the Triangle offense, especially when there is a great talent at the focal point of the Triangle, a spot-up shooter who can handle the ball decently is all that is required from the point guard.

If you have great players on a team like Dwyane Wade and Shaquille O'Neal, the point guard position is not nearly as important because Wade does much of the ball handling, and the offense runs through him or Shaq.

But, if you look at the Pistons with Chauncey Billups or The Suns without Nash or the Hornets without Chris Paul, you realize that there are many teams including countless bad NBA teams that don't have good point guard play, that really show how important having a quality point guard is.

mavs>spurs2
01-27-2007, 01:23 PM
It's not just about bringing the ball up court. Aside from always having the ball in their hands and having to be good ball handlers, they have to be able to read the defense, make great passes to find the open man, know what play to call at the right time, etc. Point guard is probably the most important position.

wildbill2u
01-27-2007, 01:43 PM
I mean, their only main duty is to bring the ball from down court...so if you have one to 3 players that can dribble the ball enough to cross the half court,then thats not a problem.Then in your half court offense,if you have motion offense,those five players can pass the ball to their teammates. I've watched Wizards last night,and agent zero is not a point guard he just bring the ball upcourt then pass to ball to his teammates and set his self for an open shot. :lol
Historically, all shooting guards have thought so. :rolleyes

jbspurs
01-27-2007, 03:33 PM

No is not! Point guard is the most important position in basketball team. they have more duties compare to other position. Point needs to know what play to run and execute to get a team rolling.

Ronaldo McDonald
01-27-2007, 05:12 PM

Well, you know, the PG position in the NBA isn't as important as it is, say, in High School, or College. In the NBA, players are extremely skilled; typically, most players from positions 1-4, or atleast 1-3 can dribble the ball up court without trouble. However, High School players and to a lesser extent, College players tend to be good at only a few things and not all players can be trusted to bring the ball up the court, which makes having a point guard that can dribble pretty much necessary.

romain.star
01-27-2007, 05:42 PM
Is there any general rule concerning the importance of having a great point guard in your team? btw who was the PG of the Jordan's Bulls?

Josepatches
01-27-2007, 05:53 PM
Scottie Pippen

jbspurs
01-27-2007, 06:22 PM
Is there any general rule concerning the importance of having a great point guard in your team? btw who was the PG of the Jordan's Bulls?

Paxson and Armstrong

romain.star
01-27-2007, 06:29 PM
but it could have been with a beno or a claxton... yet MJ would have his 6 rings

Josepatches
01-27-2007, 06:46 PM
Pippen played like the "real" PG in the Bulls.