PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Beijing, China

David@SLCC
01-27-2007, 11:27 AM
***I know that we have people from all over the world and folks from the USA who have lived everywhere, so I'm hoping from some input for anyone who's willing to share the info***

I've recently been promoted by my company and as part of my new duties I will be working at the Beijing office from May. The relocation will be temporary (5 to 6 months), but obviously there are many things that need planning.

In summary, I'm married with 2 young daughters and our main concern is finding a nice area to live in with international schools nearby. Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks,
David

exstatic
01-27-2007, 12:24 PM
You're moving your whole family for a six month gig?

E20
01-27-2007, 12:27 PM
Yeah, but don't take any advice from me I'm a young'un, but I would just let them be and keep in contact with them every week and if they need support financially send them money via a carrier or something(Western Union), but it seems you've already made up your mind on taking the whole family and I do think there are 3 Spurs fans here that live in China, so you're in luck.

David@SLCC
01-27-2007, 12:29 PM
Yes, we are all moving. It's a permanent job, just 6 months in China. After that is back here.

boutons_
01-27-2007, 01:47 PM
If you're company can afford to send you, they can afford to do all this research and setting you up themselves.

You're hardly a sole pioneer. Google for "beijing expatriate living accomodations"

exstatic
01-27-2007, 01:56 PM
That's kind of what I was wondering. Shouldn't your company be setting you up with all of this info?

timvp
01-27-2007, 02:57 PM
You gave SpursTalk a massive hookup during summer league a couple summers ago, so hopefully someone here can return the favor and give you the inside scoop.

Good luck.

:smokin

Fillmoe
01-27-2007, 03:24 PM
yo if you dont want to go... i will gladly go in your place.....

David@SLCC
01-27-2007, 04:22 PM
The Beijing office is helping, but I want something that works for me and my family so I'm doing my own research as well. Besides, this is the first time they are relocating someone from here to there, so it's a learning process for them.

Thanks, timvp.

exstatic
01-27-2007, 04:58 PM
Oh, OK. I thought they just threw you to the wolves. Good luck with your adventure. :)

ponky
01-27-2007, 05:07 PM
look up some sites about expats in china...there's even one called www.expatsinchina.com with info about intl. schools, also google american schools in beijing. my cousins work for the embassy and have lived all over the world, they always live where all the people who work for the embassies live because of course, there are tons of international families with kids who go to the american/intl. schools. usually, families live all together in one particular neighborhood, it's this way in every big city around the world where there's an embassy

check out this site:
http://www.moveandstay.com/beijing/guide_international_schools.asp

MannyIsGod
01-27-2007, 06:17 PM
The Ex Pat sites that I've looked at when researching moving abroad are really bad IMO. They have really spotty and poor info, so I hope that you are able to find some first hand reccomendations. Maybe you could contact the Embassy and ask for information directly from people in the area?

01-27-2007, 08:24 PM
I don't know what kind of company you work for, but you might want to have your folks talk with the travel folks at Zachary. The guy who is doing QC for me right now (I don't work for Zachary) just came back from there after working on the embassy for them. I know he went over there stag, but I get up with him Monday and see what he knows.

Just curious, but why relocate the whole family for only 6 months? That's an awful short overseas posting.

TDMVPDPOY
01-27-2007, 10:26 PM
i can get the triads to set up accomondation for you if u want......red light disstrict :D

i got a friend over there whose family runs housing/construction shit, i think they got spare aparts in their building available for rent, i havnt kept in touch with him for about 2 years now......

theres always free occomondation at shaolin temple :D

Buddy Holly
01-27-2007, 10:55 PM
Beijing China!

Downtown:
http://www.midewinde.org/Moorish%20Tavern%202005/baron_wasteland.JPG

Tourists:
http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/239638/2/istockphoto_239638_pony_trail.jpg

tlongII
01-29-2007, 12:29 AM
I've been to Shanghai, but not Beijing. I spent 2 weeks in Shanghai for work and stayed at a hotel of course. However, I did meet some ex-pats there and visited the neighborhood they lived in. It was actually pretty amazing. It was like an American suburb smack in the middle of China. Ranch style houses that looked just like the homes you find here. If you stayed right in your neighborhood all the time you might even forget you're in China! :LOL