PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Recall James White From Austin Toros

Kori Ellis
01-27-2007, 05:40 PM
SPURS RECALL JAMES WHITE FROM AUSTIN TOROS

SAN ANTONIO - The San Antonio Spurs announced today that they have recalled guard/forward James White from the Austin Toros of the NBA Development League for the second time this season.

Since being assigned to the Toros on December 16 White has appeared in 15 games (11 starts), averaging 16.3 points, 4.0 rebounds, 3.1 assists and 1.67 steals in 34.4 minutes. He was recalled by the Spurs on December 26 and registered one did not play (coach's decision) and was on the inactive list for one game before being reassigned to the Toros on December 29.

In 27 games with the Spurs, White has yet to see any action, appearing on the inactive list 26 times and registering one did not play (coach's decision).

Selected with the 31st overall pick in the 2006 NBA Draft by the Portland Trail Blazers, White was traded to the Pacers in a draft night deal that sent the draft rights to forward Alexander Johnson and two future second-round picks to Portland. In eight preseason games with Indiana, he averaged 3.8 points and 2.0 rebounds in 17.5 minutes of action. He was waived by the Pacers on October 31 and signed by the Spurs on November 3.

An honorable mention All-Big East selection, White led the University of Cincinnati Bearcats in scoring (16.3) and free-throw percentage (.838) during the 2005-06 season.

White is expected to be with the team when they visit the Los Angeles Lakers on Sunday.

MannyIsGod
01-27-2007, 05:44 PM
Williams must be close to being moved?

infinite styles
01-27-2007, 05:46 PM

I was wondering what the deal was, cause I didn't see any injuries or anything. Did they just want an extra body for the road trip?

ChumpDumper
01-27-2007, 05:48 PM
Great idea to take him along on the rodeo road trip. He can really feel like part of the team.

midgetonadonkey
01-27-2007, 05:49 PM
Isn't Bowen having back problems?

MannyIsGod
01-27-2007, 05:50 PM
Isn't Bowen having back problems?You're right.

That along with what Chump posted makes sense.

T Park
01-27-2007, 05:51 PM
Interesting move.

Prob not muc to read into it though.

Fillmoe
01-27-2007, 05:52 PM
is this dude ever gonna get in a game or is he just gonna go back and forth from the team to the NBDL

T Park
01-27-2007, 05:52 PM
Prob won't see any playing time till next year.

infinite styles
01-27-2007, 05:53 PM
Its probably best they call him up now so that he's actually with the team if anything goes wrong.

dg7md
01-27-2007, 05:57 PM
Doesn't he get moved back and forth on almost a bi-weekly basis? :lol

ChumpDumper
01-27-2007, 05:58 PM
This is the second time he's been recalled -- so he can only be sent down one more time.

ace3g
01-27-2007, 05:59 PM
really, thats interesting? about only being able to be sent to the NBDL 3 times.

Is it 3 times per season or 3 times period?

ChumpDumper
01-27-2007, 06:01 PM
Per season.

Pugglekicker_21
01-27-2007, 06:02 PM
And what happens after that?
he merits a couple of mins after what Benos done in the first half of the season.

ChumpDumper
01-27-2007, 06:03 PM
He's not a point guard.

SenorSpur
01-27-2007, 06:05 PM
Like many others, I didn't expect White to see any time this year. I didn't think he should either. Now with the way the team is struggling and if Bowen indeed has back issues, perhaps the time is right to at least start to slowly give him spot minutes in certain situations.

ploto
01-27-2007, 06:06 PM
I don't see how people keep talking about a trade of Williams. The Spurs are not going to trade away his expiring contract (ruins the whole point of trading for him) and there would be no incentive for some other team to trade their expiring guy for him- how could he possibly help them out?

T Park
01-27-2007, 06:06 PM
What the hell, see what hes got.

Id give him a shot vs Phoenix rather than Finley.

Although Im sure Pop won't do it for some odd reason.

ChumpDumper
01-27-2007, 06:07 PM
If it's some combination of the right contract and the right player, they would trade Williams.

AFBlue
01-27-2007, 06:11 PM

Could be....

Pop said something to the effect that "no trade would be made", but then stipulated that a "peripheral player" for a draft pick or another "peripheral player".

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-27-2007, 06:12 PM
Bring on the trade :tu

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-27-2007, 06:12 PM
Could be....

Pop said something to the effect that "no trade would be made", but then stipulated that a "peripheral player" for a draft pick or another "peripheral player".

Then he stipulated no one out of the 6th, 7th, or 8th.

So pretty much not a starter, and not Elson, and anyone else is fair game...

AFBlue
01-27-2007, 06:13 PM
If it's some combination of the right contract and the right player, they would trade Williams.

a "peripheral" player....like Arroyo, Dooling, Atkins?

T Park
01-27-2007, 06:14 PM
Arroyo on this team wouldn't work.

Atkins WOULD.

ChumpDumper
01-27-2007, 06:15 PM
a "peripheral" player....like Arroyo, Dooling, Atkins?Possilby. To dismiss the trade potential out of hand shows a distinct lack of imagination.

Bruno
01-27-2007, 06:17 PM
I don't see how people keep talking about a trade of Williams. The Spurs are not going to trade away his expiring contract (ruins the whole point of trading for him) and there would be no incentive for some other team to trade their expiring guy for him- how could he possibly help them out?

Spurs will move Williams in a deal like Williams + cash + a 2nd round pick for Walter Hermann.
Rockets have done the same move with Hornets last year with Moochie Norris.

Fillmoe
01-27-2007, 06:17 PM
I think he should atleast get a shot to see how he handles the pressure and to see where exactly he is at as NBA player....... Otherwise there is no point in calling him up and sending him back down over and over......... Put him in see what hes made of and if he does good reward him with minutes and if he does bad bench him until your getting blown out or up by 30.........

Bruno
01-27-2007, 06:19 PM
Great idea to take him along on the rodeo road trip. He can really feel like part of the team.

It's a good reason. RRT is an important moment for the team.

ChumpDumper
01-27-2007, 06:21 PM
Otherwise there is no point in calling him up and sending him back down over and over.Practice. We're talking about practice.

ChumpDumper
01-27-2007, 06:53 PM
As far as the effect on the Toros, I'm not quite as worried as I would've been before they traded for Cheyne Gadson. He does a really nice job at the point and will allow Troy Bell to play offguard for many stretches. We won't have alot of defense but there's a ton of scoring potential running Gadson, Bell and BJ Elder at the same time. Justin Bowen's play has been really nice off the bench and he deserves more time to develop as a traditional small forward. We also have Kris Clack returning from injury and Jamar Smith who can play the 3 if needed.

LaMarcus Bryant
01-27-2007, 07:39 PM
chucky

atkins

diet

coke

addict

Russ
01-27-2007, 07:59 PM
Could be....

What a great day for whomever gets traded -- he not only gets traded, he gets insulted on the way out.

wildbill2u
01-27-2007, 07:59 PM
At least White has been getting some playing time in and apparently has done pretty well. Playing time is important for White to hone skills and develop basketball IQ.

But you know there is going to be a lot of unreasonable howls from the clueless to 'play him against Marion and see what happens."

SKINNYPIMP210
01-27-2007, 08:11 PM
I Really Think The Spurs Should Play Him This Time. With The League Getting Younger And Faster I Think It Would Help Out This Team. I'm Not Saying Playing Him Against The Suns Or Anything Like That. But Man, This Guy Has Incredible Athletic Ability And He Really Doesn't Need To Put The Game On His Shoulders, All He Has To Do Is Help Us Out. He Just Might Be What We're Missing...maybe. Well That And A Back Up Point Guard. I Don't Care What Anyone Says, Beno Sucks. He Has Had His Chance Over And Over Again And Hasn't Produced Anything!

ChumpDumper
01-27-2007, 08:12 PM
Have you seen him play this season?

johnpaulwall21
01-27-2007, 08:30 PM
who has?

ChumpDumper
01-27-2007, 08:32 PM
I have. I'm asking who else has.

johnpaulwall21
01-27-2007, 08:33 PM
what have u seen from this savior?????

ChumpDumper
01-27-2007, 08:34 PM
Does anybody read the update threads?

Borosai
01-27-2007, 08:38 PM
It has now been confirmed...Pop reads my posts and has come around. White will play. That is all.

mardigan
01-27-2007, 08:56 PM
Who is the next shitty team we play, dont see any reason he couldnt play against a shit team

bdictjames
01-27-2007, 09:11 PM
Atkins is not a ball-distributor. We need someone like Marquis Daniels who could create plays and play defense

mardigan
01-27-2007, 09:13 PM
Marquis isnt a point, we cant get him, and Atkins is averaging about 5 assists a game this year with limited playing time, and no scorers on his team

ploto
01-27-2007, 09:47 PM
I'm not saying they Wouldn't trade him- I am saying that Couldn't trade him given their stipulations for what they want back. To cut payroll, just buy him out and give up nothing to anyone.

ChumpDumper
01-27-2007, 09:53 PM
I'm not saying they Wouldn't trade him
The Spurs are not going to trade away his expiring contractIf you agreed with my point there's no reason to repeat it.

polandprzem
01-27-2007, 10:06 PM
Marquis isnt a point, we cant get him, and Atkins is averaging about 5 assists a game this year with limited playing time, and no scorers on his team
And in spurs he would not have limited minutes :rolleyes

ploto
01-27-2007, 10:18 PM
If you are going to quote someone, at least post the entire sentence and not cut if off.

I am saying that Couldn't trade him given their stipulations for what they want back.
I don't see any team helping them get below the luxury tax so they WON'T trade him. Of course they WOULD trade him for Luke Walton, but I just don't see that happening.

mardigan
01-27-2007, 10:28 PM
And in spurs he would not have limited minutes :rolleyes
What does that mean?

ChumpDumper
01-27-2007, 10:30 PM
I don't see any team helping themYour lack of imagination is duly noted.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-27-2007, 10:31 PM
Atkins is not a ball-distributor. We need someone like Marquis Daniels who could create plays and play defense

So you want a ball distributor, but you want a guy who is essentially a two guard in Daniels? :lol

Marquis has never been accused of being charitable at the offensive end :lol

polandprzem
01-27-2007, 10:45 PM
What does that mean?

That means my dear friend that it is not worth the disscussion :drunk

jayfmyers
01-28-2007, 12:07 AM
I Really Think The Spurs Should Play Him This Time. With The League Getting Younger And Faster I Think It Would Help Out This Team. I'm Not Saying Playing Him Against The Suns Or Anything Like That. But Man, This Guy Has Incredible Athletic Ability And He Really Doesn't Need To Put The Game On His Shoulders, All He Has To Do Is Help Us Out. He Just Might Be What We're Missing...maybe. Well That And A Back Up Point Guard. I Don't Care What Anyone Says, Beno Sucks. He Has Had His Chance Over And Over Again And Hasn't Produced Anything!

Looks like you missed a capitilization.

grjr
01-28-2007, 03:23 AM
Spurs needed a rookie to carry the bags off the plane and go get the pizza. It's tough out there on the road for an all-veteran team.

Gin N Juice
01-28-2007, 10:55 AM
Does anybody read the update threads?

Yes and they are very informative!

Marcus Bryant
01-28-2007, 12:49 PM
Desperation.

TDMVPDPOY
01-28-2007, 12:53 PM
Desperation.

more like gettin him some games so he can be in the dunk contest hahhahahaha

spurs right now = lame

ChumpDumper
01-28-2007, 04:03 PM
If he plays much at all, it will be desperation. We're talking about practice here.

bigdog
01-28-2007, 11:20 PM
i doubt he will play or even suit up on the road trip. most likely just gonna be inactive in case an injury happens or something. or maybe pop is planning something.who knows

yavozerb
01-29-2007, 12:00 AM
Possible Small line-up for playoff time:
Tony-Manu-Bowen-White-Duncan
-all above average defenders with manu, white, and TD having to pull down Boards
-scoring should not be problem with TMD in lineup..
I doubt this will happen with white probably not playing much, but it sounds good!!

ChumpDumper
01-29-2007, 04:03 AM
Have you seen White play this season?

Kori Ellis
01-29-2007, 04:46 AM
i doubt he will play or even suit up on the road trip. most likely just gonna be inactive in case an injury happens or something. or maybe pop is planning something.who knows

From the Express-News ...

White returns to big league: Rookie guard James White spent Sunday's game on the inactive list one day after the Spurs recalled him from the Developmental League.

This was the second time the Spurs have recalled White, who can be sent to Austin only once more this season. Barring injuries to other players, Popovich doesn't expect to play White anytime soon.

"I haven't even been able to get Eric Williams on the court, so James isn't going to go out there," Popovich said. "He's just here because we've got the five days off (Friday-Feb. 6) and we've some practice time, so it's a good opportunity for him to get into the system and see what we're doing, and we can get a closer look at him.

"Maybe toward the end of the year, if there are opportunities, we'll throw him out there and see what we have."

ChumpDumper
01-29-2007, 04:51 AM
Well finishing out the year with the Toros isn't going to matter too much since they won't make the playoffs. I do think the season ends too close to the end of the NBA season, though -- it could affect other teams and players in a pretty big way. It might be better if they could move everything back one week in the D-League.