ducks
01-27-2007, 06:48 PM
Weaver and Mariners close in on 1-year deal for $8,325,000
Weaver and Mariners close in on 1-year deal for $8,325,000

By GREGG BELL, AP Sports Writer
January 26, 2007

AP - Jan 26, 1:58 pm EST
More Photos

SEATTLE (AP) -- Jeff Weaver and the Seattle Mariners have just about finalized a one-year contract worth $8,325,000 -- the same salary he had last year.

Only minor details remain for the deal to be worked out, a person familiar with the negotiations said Friday, speaking on condition of anonymity because the deal had not yet been completed.

The 30-year-old right-hander, who helped the St. Louis Cardinals win their first World Series title since 1982, probably will take a physical early next week.

In addition to his base salary, Weaver would be able to earn an additional $1 million in performance bonuses: $300,000 each for 180 innings or 28 starts, and 190 innings or 30 starts, and $400,000 for 200 innings or 32 starts.

Weaver has made 240 starts over eight major league seasons -- 34 each in 2004 and 2005, and 31 last year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Mariners general manager Bill Bavasi has said Seattle wanted to add a free-agent pitcher.

"No, we're not done," he said Wednesday.

St. Louis had been hoping to re-sign Weaver, who won three games during the postseason. Pittsburgh was also thought to be interested.

Weaver was 3-10 with a 6.29 ERA when the Los Angeles Angels designated him for assignment on June 30, then traded him to the Cardinals five days later. He was 5-4 with a 5.18 ERA with the Cardinals, but starred during the postseason. He was 1-1 in the World Series against Detroit, getting the victory in the Game 5 clincher by allowing two runs -- one earned -- and five hits in eight innings.

He would join a Seattle rotation with three new starters. The Mariners, coming off three straight last-place finishes in the AL West, have a slimmed-down Felix Hernandez and Jarrod Washburn returning.

Horacio Ramirez was acquired in a trade with Atlanta for setup reliever Rafael Soriano. And Miguel Batista, an 11-game winner with Arizona last season, agreed to a $25 million, three-year contract last month.

Before the talks with Weaver, Seattle had been contemplating several candidates to be its fifth starter: Cha-Sueng Baek, a Triple-A callup whose season ended last September due to elbow tendinitis, converted reliever Jake Woods and Ryan Feierabend, a veteran of 24 days in the major leagues.

Three starters from 2006's opening-day roster are long gone. Jamie Moyer was traded to Philadelphia last summer. Joel Pineiro signed as a free agent with Boston and Gil Meche signed with Kansas City.

AP Baseball Writer Ronald Blum in New York contributed to this report.

K-State Spur
01-27-2007, 11:56 PM
ahh baseball, where a good two week's work is worth 8 million dollars to organizations that haven't paid attention to every year of your career up until then.

Burn531
01-28-2007, 12:46 AM
:spless:

8 million for an average pitcher that did well for a month.

Vinnie_Johnson
01-28-2007, 02:13 AM
OMG Weaver is a crap pitcher 8 million nice pick up.

King
01-28-2007, 01:59 PM
Who was saying that Samardizja was stupid for picking baseball again?

T Park
01-29-2007, 02:46 AM
Its a shame Weaver is doing the money thing instead of loyalty.

Cardinals offer 2 guaranteed years for 6 each and he turns that down for 2 million more for 1

K-State Spur
01-29-2007, 01:13 PM
Its a shame Weaver is doing the money thing instead of loyalty.

Cardinals offer 2 guaranteed years for 6 each and he turns that down for 2 million more for 1

Depends who it is a shame for. If you are a Cardinals fan, I'm fairly certain that by July, you'll be thanking Weaver for not taking that offer.

Don't let a 3 week period in October cloud you towards what he has done in his entire career up until that point. He's 30 years old, so it's pretty likely that he was just on a hot streak, not a guy who has turned the corner.

T Park
01-30-2007, 10:29 PM
Don't let a 3 week period in October cloud you towards what he has done in his entire career up until that point. He's 30 years old, so it's pretty likely that he was just on a hot streak, not a guy who has turned the corner.

also the month of september.

He had turned the corner.

But that was thanks to Dave Duncan.

Weaver is as stupid as he looks apparently, shame too, he could've been a hell of a pitcher this year.

leemajors
01-30-2007, 11:58 PM
also the month of september.

He had turned the corner.

But that was thanks to Dave Duncan.

Weaver is as stupid as he looks apparently, shame too, he could've been a hell of a pitcher this year.

he could just as well have sucked it up on the card too.

T Park
02-04-2007, 11:30 AM
Sucked it up on the cards?

No I don't think so. Duncan had fixed him and revitalized his career.

I mean WTF, this guy was on the street corner no one wanted him, and the cardinals TRADE for him.

Fuck this shit pisses me off.

Same shit as Stephen Jackson.

K-State Spur
02-04-2007, 02:28 PM
I don't buy it. Duncan certainly helped, but any pitcher with a good arm can get hot for a month. In Weaver's case, that month just happened to be september/october.

BUMP
02-04-2007, 10:21 PM
i have a feeling that he'll actually have a good year.

fly ball pitcher in a pitcher's ball park=alot of fly ball outs.

i predict 13 wins

leemajors
02-04-2007, 11:07 PM
Sucked it up on the cards?

No I don't think so. Duncan had fixed him and revitalized his career.

I mean WTF, this guy was on the street corner no one wanted him, and the cardinals TRADE for him.

Fuck this shit pisses me off.

Same shit as Stephen Jackson.

this last year wasn't the only time weaver had a good stretch in his career. no one has ever said the dude wasn't talented, he has just never been consistent. duncan is obviously a good pitching coach, but he hasn't fixed every pitcher the cards have ever signed. if you mean he is a total headcase like s jax, then you have a point.

T Park
02-08-2007, 05:28 PM
duncan is obviously a good pitching coach, but he hasn't fixed every pitcher the cards have ever signed

He made Kent bottenfield a 15 game winner.

I rest my case.