View Full Version : D'Antoni's Dilemma

Amare_32
01-28-2007, 12:20 AM
D'Antoni's dilemma
Starting Nowitzki, not one of his own, would be wise for Suns coach

Dan Bickley
The Arizona Republic
Jan. 27, 2007 12:11 AM

The NBA All-Star Game is one big party. It's a festival of freaks, celebrities, wannabe gangsters and opportunistic groupies.

It's not to be taken seriously.

Problem is, you know how sensitive professional athletes can be when it comes to things like status, ego and All-Star berths, and that brings us to the dangerous dilemma facing Mike D'Antoni. advertisement

The Suns have a better record than every team in the Western Conference except the Mavericks. But the Dallas staff ran the All-Star team last year and therefore is ineligible this season. So the Suns' head coach will be in charge of some weighty decisions.

For instance:

The starters, as voted on by fans across the globe, are Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett, Tim Duncan, Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming. Except Yao is injured, meaning D'Antoni needs to anoint a replacement center.

Does he reward Amar? Stoudemire? Does he juggle the lineup and insert Steve Nash, reigning two-time MVP and the guy who has turned the Suns into an international phenomenon? Or does he give Dirk Nowitzki, the biggest star in the Mavericks' cluster, his first starting nod in an All-Star Game?

This one should be easy.

Although Stoudemire's inspired play in 2006-07 has helped the Suns morph into something of a dream team, he does not deserve the nod over Nowitzki. And although Nash was hosed in the fan balloting (the heavy Asian vote that elevated Yao clearly benefited McGrady, Yao's teammate on the Rockets), I'll bet the Suns' point guard wouldn't mind deferring to Nowitzki, one of his closest personal friends.

So, D'Antoni should happily reward Nowitzki, if only to keep the upper hand in a budding rivalry.

That way, he doesn't play favorites with any of his own players.

That way, he doesn't snub the best player from Dallas, thereby adding motivation to the Suns' toughest opponent and their biggest hurdle on the road to a championship.

That way, he can slip Shawn Marion into the reserve mix without much outcry. Then, he can bring all three Suns off the bench at once, and what a statement that would be.

After all, with the All-Star Game to be played in Las Vegas, where Marion spent a season with UNLV, the last person you want to snub is the thin-skinned Matrix.

That would leave a mark.
________
Park Royal 2 Condominium (http://pattayaluxurycondos.com)

Burn531
01-28-2007, 12:29 AM
Except Yao is injured, meaning D'Antoni needs to anoint a replacement center.

I'm pretty sure Stern appoints the replacement.

Amare_32
01-28-2007, 12:32 AM
I'm pretty sure Stern appoints the replacement.

Apparently is up to D'Antoni.
________
Volcano classic vaporizer (http://vaporizer.org/reviews/volcano)
________
ECIGARETTE 123 (http://www.ecigarettes123.com/)

lurker
01-28-2007, 12:35 AM
I saw this in another article earlier.

So with his first All-Star coaching appearance assured, what's the Western Conference game plan under Mike D'Antoni? "First of all, Dirk (Nowitzki) and (Tim) Duncan are going two-a-day practices and playing 48 minutes," he said smiling. "We'll give those guys maximum exposure."
:lol

Burn531
01-28-2007, 12:36 AM
Oh ok. I heard Ernie Johnson on TNT say Stern will pick a player.

u2sarajevo
01-28-2007, 12:37 AM
I think Stern gets to pick a player to replace Yao once the reserves are selected... but that player that replaces Yao doesn't get Yao's starting spot. That job is D'Antoni's..

mqywaaah
01-28-2007, 12:41 AM
Yeah.... I think so too. Hope he doesnt go PHX all the way. Wouldnt want to see an All Star Suns game.

Burn531
01-28-2007, 12:43 AM
I think Stern gets to pick a player to replace Yao once the reserves are selected... but that player that replaces Yao doesn't get Yao's starting spot. That job is D'Antoni's..

Oh damn that's right. :toast

That's what happened with JO last year.

johnpaulwall21
01-28-2007, 02:23 AM
I say give it to dirt cause he hasnt ever started an allstar game. D'antoni will probably be pressured to pick dirt over nash or amare.

ponky
01-28-2007, 02:44 AM
i don't care about all that....what interests me in this article is why this arizona republic reporter calls marion "thin-skinned"

JamStone
01-28-2007, 09:19 AM
Sit all the starters except Kobe and add Allen Iverson and let them play 2-on-five for the first five minutes of the game.

Rip-Hamilton32
01-28-2007, 09:28 AM
the replacment should be the center that got the 2nd most votes

Amare_32
01-28-2007, 11:09 AM
i don't care about all that....what interests me in this article is why this arizona republic reporter calls marion "thin-skinned"

According to McCallum's book Marion is very sensitive. He dislikes the fact that Stoudemire gets more attention than he does. He even notices that fans wear more Nash and Stoudemire jerseys than his. Nevermind the fact that Steve and Amare are franchise players.
________
FORD MAVERICK PICTURE (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_Maverick)
________
VAPORIZER RATINGS (http://vaporizerinfo.com/)

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-28-2007, 11:48 AM

Because he is.

Amare_32 beat me to it.

MrChug
01-28-2007, 11:52 AM
This is a no-brainer. Regardless of whether or not it's "better for the team" if Nowitzki starts, the ASG isn't about "the team". He'll start Amare.

Johnny_Blaze_47
From my post on McCallum's book:

p60 interesting: Marion doesn't want to switch off Odom when picked--if Odom scores big, Marion gets media blame

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54042&highlight=mccallum

Apparently, D'Antoni's gone out of his way to make sure Marion feels good about his performance and has specifically said things publically to make sure Marion's soothed. Marion also felt that he would get blamed for poor play sometimes while Nash was allowed to slide.

JMarkJohns
About the only things keeping Marion from a full-scale revolt is he knows Nash helps his stats and that he's making the most money on the team. He may not get all the attention he deserves, but he gets enough and makes more than enough.

He also dislikes that he hasn't been able to use his underdeveloped isolation skills within this team's style. He feels as though he's been held back a little. I think it's absurd because I've seen him dribble and it's the scariest thing you've ever seen, but most athletes only see what they aren't allowed to do, not what they can't do.

All in all it's something that will work itself out. He'll either grow comfortable within the roles laid out for him and be content with his insane 14+ mill per year salary or he'll get pissed off and demand a trade ala Joe Johnson.

JamStone
01-28-2007, 02:50 PM

Last year when Jermaine O'Neal couldn't start, Vince Carter started in his place.

ponky
01-28-2007, 04:28 PM
According to McCallum's book Marion is very sensitive. He dislikes the fact that Stoudemire gets more attention than he does. He even notices that fans wear more Nash and Stoudemire jerseys than his. Nevermind the fact that Steve and Amare are franchise players.

thanks for the heads up. i figured he was sensitive, just seems like that kind of a guy.

dallaskd
01-28-2007, 07:06 PM

dampier?

Amare_32
01-28-2007, 07:10 PM
dampier?

Actually Amare had the 2nd most votes. He was listed as a Center on the ballet.
________
Marijuana seed (http://marijuanaseeds.org/)
________
How to use iolite (http://vaporizerinfo.com/)

kskonn
01-29-2007, 08:55 AM
Actually Amare had the 2nd most votes. He was listed as a Center on the ballet.

I wonder if they moved him and mcgrady out of the forward position to break up the star power? anybody know?

tempe85
01-29-2007, 11:00 AM
I wonder if they moved him and mcgrady out of the forward position to break up the star power? anybody know?

Dude only plays almost all his minutes at Center.... in fact he hasn't played a majority of minutes at PF for about 3 years now... not sure why people still list him at PF.