View Full Version : Ginobili scores 21 in first game off bench

TMTTRIO
01-29-2007, 03:34 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/b...k.20bd457.html
Ginobili scores 21 in first game off bench

Web Posted: 01/29/2007 01:57 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News

LOS ANGELES — When Gregg Popovich approached Manu Ginobili before the start of Saturday morning's practice, Ginobili knew what was coming.
The bench.

Hoping to give the Spurs' reserve unit a little more punch, Popovich brought Ginobili off the bench Sunday and started Brent Barry in his place.

"I didn't even get it out my mouth and he started laughing," Popovich said. "He said, 'What took you so long? I was expecting this.'"

Ginobili said he didn't mind the move and even predicted to his teammates last week that Popovich was probably ready to move him to the bench.

"I know that once a year it happens, so it's no big deal," Ginobili said. "He told me that more or less I was going to play the same minutes."

Ginobili had 21 points (on 5-of-16 shooting) and seven rebounds in 28 minutes. Barry, however, didn't make the most of his first start, going 0 for 4 in 19 minutes.

"I talked to Manu in the shower," Barry said, "and told him he could have it back. Maybe he can go to dinner with Pop and convince him."

Ginobili takes elbow to face: Ginobili's face was considerably swollen after Kobe Bryant hit him with an elbow on the final play of the fourth quarter. But X-rays taken after the game were negative.

"It looks bad because of the swelling," Ginobili said, "but I think it's going to be OK."

Neither Ginobili nor Popovich thought Bryant's elbow was intentional.

"It's probably just a natural movement for a shooter coming down," Popovich said. "I doubt Kobe would do that. That's not his style."

Bryant did admit to getting away with one foul. On the Spurs' final possession of the fourth quarter, Robert Horry missed a 3-pointer that could have won the game. Replays showed Bryant hitting him across the arm, but a foul wasn't called.

"Yeah," Bryant said, "I fouled Rob." :cuss

Second-chance points, free throws key: Despite their poor shooting, the Spurs outrebounded the Lakers 53-44 and scored 22 second-chance points off 16 offensive rebounds.

Surprisingly enough, they also won the game at the foul line, making 22 of 24 free throws (91.7 percent). The Lakers shot just 58.1 percent from the line, missing 13 of their 31 attempts.

White returns to big league: Rookie guard James White spent Sunday's game on the inactive list one day after the Spurs recalled him from the Developmental League.

This was the second time the Spurs have recalled White, who can be sent to Austin only once more this season. Barring injuries to other players, Popovich doesn't expect to play White anytime soon.

"I haven't even been able to get Eric Williams on the court, so James isn't going to go out there," Popovich said. "He's just here because we've got the five days off (Friday-Feb. 6) and we've some practice time, so it's a good opportunity for him to get into the system and see what we're doing, and we can get a closer look at him.

"Maybe toward the end of the year, if there are opportunities, we'll throw him out there and see what we have."

Briefly: Popovich said he doesn't expect Matt Bonner to return until after the All-Star break. Bonner has missed the past eight games after tearing the medial collateral ligament of his left knee. ... Bruce Bowen played in his 400th consecutive game Sunday.
Props to Manu for always being a good sport about going back to the bench everytime when he is needed and taking a backseat for the team:toast

cheguevara
01-29-2007, 10:01 AM
Manu was sucking bigtime for 3 quarters. So was parker. But once again, 4th quarter manu put us in position to win the game.

Kori Ellis
01-29-2007, 10:04 AM
Manu was sucking bigtime for 3 quarters. So was parker. But once again, 4th quarter manu put us in position to win the game.

And so did Parker. He had six points in the 4th and 7 in OT.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
01-29-2007, 10:08 AM
Yeah, Tony was great, I think none of the Spurs faded at all in this game. Tim made his shots when they counted. They all made Key shots, defensive rebounds, plays.

There was a really good feeling for about all the players, after this win. Not much room for disappointment in their efforts.

xamila rey
01-29-2007, 10:14 AM
And so did Parker. He had six points in the 4th and 7 in OT.

yes tony was great also.

2centsworth
01-29-2007, 10:55 AM
I thought Tony sparked the comeback with those two jumpers.

cheguevara
01-29-2007, 10:57 AM
I was more impressed Tony making those 2 clutch free throws

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
01-29-2007, 11:09 AM
I thought Tony sparked the comeback with those two jumpers.
I was used to our OVertimes being same ol' same ol' Spurs buckle and fade.

And after Kobe made those two huge assists for the dunk, I liked that Tony stepped up to the challenge and punched back. Especially knowing his teammate was off the court after getting hurt. I thought he picked up for the slack, to deliver in the crunch, cuz Manu unfortunately couldn't start the OT with Tim and Tony.