PDA

View Full Version : Who was screaming "NOOOOOOOOOOO!" when Fin let fly??

LEONARD
01-29-2007, 10:43 AM
Admit it...all of you!!! :lol

I admit that I pumped my fist thinking there was NO WAY he'd hit that shot... (makes it 1/10 times??) :lol

Nice shot by Fin though...he's back to the Fin of 5 yrs ago now I think... :fro

Kori Ellis
01-29-2007, 10:45 AM
You didn't think it was going in? The second he released it, I thought it was good. :smokin

He has to turn around his season eventually. Hopefully that shot did something for his confidence and something for his teammates confidence in him.

bdictjames
01-29-2007, 10:47 AM
Old leather ball. Pure and simple.

LEONARD
01-29-2007, 10:47 AM
You didn't think it was going in? The second he released it, I thought it was good. :smokin

Kori...come on now :lol

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
01-29-2007, 10:49 AM
I remember being pretty confident or comfortable when he took it. Just because he had hit some big ones already. I was so used to the Big Three coming up short, or the Horry miss, or the Bonner miss...I think BECAUSE it didn't seem like the first option in the play (Tim was inclined to pass it to Manu) It was a great moment.

Maybe because it wasn't according to Pop's plan. (Finley was pretty deep) I had a good feeling that we were gonna come out on top from it.

Just like how Manu cut Pop's play in game 5.

LEONARD
01-29-2007, 10:49 AM
Old leather ball. Pure and simple.

Oh yea...good point...

5/15 for the game when that shot went up...and about 40% since the old ball came back. :dizzy

2centsworth
01-29-2007, 10:50 AM
I didn't say no because there was barely any time left and he was open. Plus, I thought he was shooting with a lot of confidence.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
01-29-2007, 10:50 AM
Kori...come on now :lol
I think it was funny that lots of us weren't expecting Finley. I thik on the game blog we were still trashing him for the shots he was taking.

Oh yeah, and he brought the ball up the court and got the ball taken from him after a trap. That was pretty bad. So it was totally unexpected he'd be the hero.

Spurminator
01-29-2007, 10:51 AM
Actually, the way he was shooting (or rather, the way everyone else was shooting) he was my top choice aside from a Duncan layup.

Hopefully this is a sign of things to come.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-29-2007, 10:52 AM
If you watch a team play enough you can tell when a shooter releases it whether or not it will be good. The moment he shot it, there was no doubt it was going to be ripping the net cord.

cheguevara
01-29-2007, 10:52 AM
He was more open than a blonde in the bunny ranch, but still liked the no hesitantion from Fin.

I knew it was going in. wide open + no hesitation = good chance of going in.

George Gervin's Afro
01-29-2007, 10:53 AM
It was the first time all year that I pumped my fist in the air and yelled YEAH BABY!

Ocotillo
01-29-2007, 10:59 AM
I was screaming "NOOOOOOOOOOO!" when Duncan passed to him.

It was sweet to watch it though and I hope he begins to turn things around. I wanted him badly when we signed him and have been disappointed with what we have gotten from him. Nice to see him contribute. Keep it up Fin!

Slomo
01-29-2007, 11:09 AM
Guilty as charged :lol

SenorSpur
01-29-2007, 11:11 AM
My exact words were "WTF are you doing taking the last.....Oh YES!"

Dre_7
01-29-2007, 11:18 AM
Actually as soon as he caught the pass I was yelling SHOOOT IT!! And as soon as he shot it I stood up and raised my hands because I knew it was goin in. But then again, my extreme loyality (call it homerism) to all things Wisconsin makes me believe that he will hit every shot he takes. :lol But this time I just knew it was goin in before he shot it.

VaSpursFan
01-29-2007, 11:19 AM
i actually thought the shot was good. as the game progressed his form got better. i think he took one right before that and it was halfway down when it popped out. i was a little concerned about how far out he was but when he went up, i knew it was money. if you look at the photo of him taking that shot, he has perfect form. plus he didn't think about it, he just reacted...the more you think about a shot, the more likely you'll miss.

i hope Fin builds upon this. Now, if we can get Barry to stop playing scared, I'd be really happy.

MajorMike
01-29-2007, 11:37 AM

Exact same thing I said when Boggan took the 3 against UT. Was like deja vu... all over again.

hitmanyr2k
01-29-2007, 11:42 AM
I actually wanted him taking the shot and smiled when he did because I knew it was going in just by the way he went up with confidence. I was in the blog thread defending Finley the whole game because people were getting on his case about him taking too many shots even though he had hit some timely threes to keep the Spurs in the game. He was the only Spur player that always took the shot when it was given to him instead of the constant pumpfake-dribble-into-a-tougher-shot like the other players.

angel_luv
01-29-2007, 11:53 AM
I just had this confidence the Spurs were going to win- for me during the whole final play it was a matter of how not if.
When Tim passed to Fin, that had to be our shot so I was all for it.
I am not surprised that Fin made it; I knew he could do it. :)

SKINNYPIMP210
01-29-2007, 11:56 AM
I actually wanted him taking the shot and smiled when he did because I knew it was going in just by the way he went up with confidence. I was in the blog thread defending Finley the whole game because people were getting on his case about him taking too many shots even though he had hit some timely threes to keep the Spurs in the game. He was the only Spur player that always took the shot when it was given to him instead of the constant pumpfake-dribble-into-a-tougher-shot like the other players.

PERFECTLY PUT! HE DOES TAKE A SHOT WHEN HE HAS IT, INSTEAD OF BEING WIDE OPEN AND PUMP FAKING AND THEN PASSING.

IS IT JUST ME OR DOES BARRY ALWAYS PASS THE BALL AFTER HE DRIVES FOR A WIDE OPEN LAY UP??? HE'LL TAKE IT TO THE HOLE AND THEN KICK IT OUT AFTER HE BEAT HIS MAN. IS HE SCARED OR WHAT? I NOTICED WHEN HE DOES THAT IT AFFECTS HIS CONFIDENCE AND HE STARTS MISSING SHOTS FROM ALL OVER THE PLACE!

LaMarcus Bryant
01-29-2007, 12:00 PM
His form was perfect but i still said 'noooo' because we are talking about Michael Finley.

PM5K
01-29-2007, 12:05 PM
Who was screaming "NOOOOOOOOOOO!" when Fin let fly??

Lakers Fans....

spurster
01-29-2007, 12:07 PM
My response was more like "What the ...?" and "OH YES".

Duncanoypi
01-29-2007, 12:17 PM
i didn't even react because i left at halftime when Lakers up by 8...lol...and when i came back....sweet!!!!

Trifecta
01-29-2007, 12:42 PM
Heck,

(after further review on the recorder) I was wondering why MANU did not have the ball to create the last shot -- I knew the Lakers D was going to collapse all over TD given his play. Happy for Fin-dog though!!!

I could not watch that last attempt -- I just went to NBA.com to look at the score from their ticker!

MoSpur
01-29-2007, 12:48 PM
He was more open than a blonde in the bunny ranch, but still liked the no hesitantion from Fin.

To me him not even thinking about it, let me know there was a great chance of it going on. I think he will build on this shot. I know it may seem like I'm making too much of this, but he really has been to hesitant when he shoots.

Jimcs50
01-29-2007, 12:55 PM
If you watch a team play enough you can tell when a shooter releases it whether or not it will be good. The moment he shot it, there was no doubt it was going to be ripping the net cord.

:jack

LilMissSPURfect
01-29-2007, 12:56 PM
saw it coming and either way was ok with it ...Fin had a couple smooth shots prior and hey you win some you lose some......better the attempt than none!

Now horry's game 5 3ptr against detroit......! I was calling out the play to my husband during the time out before it happened.....and when he hit it my husband all but SMACKED me

;-)

sometimes you go with your GUT feeling!

Fabbs
01-29-2007, 01:04 PM
Given the play that was run, with the clock ran down to 3 and

a) Duncan with ball was stuffed 16 feet with back to basket
b) Lamar Odom very unwisely cheated off of Finley to start to double down on Duncan. Left Finley 5-6 feet.

I knew then that a Finley hoist was our only hope. I figured Phil and the Lakers were very happy with the resulting Spurs Popshot selection. The quick release and Fins not thinking about it worked.

I was 50-50 on it dropping.

Jimcs50
01-29-2007, 01:04 PM
Now who screamed Noooooo, when TD drove to the hoop with 1 min left in regulation and instead of making the layup, kicked it out to the cold shooting Bruce Bowen in the corner, who nailed it?

:lol

VaSpursFan
01-29-2007, 01:15 PM
Now who screamed Noooooo, when TD drove to the hoop with 1 min left in regulation and instead of making the layup, kicked it out to the cold shooting Bruce Bowen in the corner, who nailed it?

:lol :lol :lol :lol now that one i was like WTF, no Bruce....YES!!!! Bruce had been ice cold all game but that shot was huge.

2centsworth
01-29-2007, 01:19 PM
:lol :lol :lol :lol now that one i was like WTF, no Bruce....YES!!!! Bruce had been ice cold all game but that shot was huge.
when Bruce has his legs he's as clutch as they come.

ShoogarBear
01-29-2007, 01:34 PM
I wasn't yelling NOOOO because I knew that time was running out, and he had a good clean look. And though I wasn't certain it was going in, I knew that Finley had had a good stroke all game long. Even a couple of his misses were in-and-outs. So I wasn't shocked at all.

ShoogarBear
01-29-2007, 01:35 PM

:lolOh, yeah. That would have been me.

VaSpursFan
01-29-2007, 01:39 PM
when Bruce has his legs he's as clutch as they come.
bruce and clutch in the same sentence :dizzy i' a fan of what bowen does and when sets his feet and squares up, he can hit an uncontested 3. what Fin did was clutch...what Bruce did was timely.

LEONARD
01-29-2007, 01:43 PM
If you watch a team play enough you can tell when a shooter releases it whether or not it will be good.

Right...

5 ft past the 3 pt line? Come on...

Guilty as charged :lol

1 honest person :clap

His form was perfect but i still said 'noooo' because we are talking about Michael Finley.

TwoHandJam
01-29-2007, 01:44 PM
Guilty.

When Duncan passed out I was like "Oh no! Another botched play where we won't get a quality shot." I wasn't comfortable with Fin taking the shot especially with how deep he was but thank God he nailed it.

As cold as Finley can get, one thing I like about him is that he's never scared to shoot. *cough* Brent *cough

boutons_
01-29-2007, 02:02 PM
Michael was well covered in the corner.

As Tim was dribbling around, Michael performed the amazing feat that so many players don't do, HE SIMPLY MOVED HIS ASS, from the crowded corner towards open mid-court.

As Michael moved from the corner, Michael's defender (Lamar?) dropped off to sag on Tim, and Tim "Hit the Open Man" who hit the Big Shot with a defender charging at him.

Inside-out, 4-down, with at least one of the 4 Spurs finally moving to cause something to happen.

lefty
01-29-2007, 02:05 PM
Honestly, I was saying YES !

Spurs had a momentum and Fin was shooting well ; so why not?

Kermit
01-29-2007, 02:07 PM
i almost had a heart-attack. that's the one guy i didn't want shooting the game winning shot. goes to show you what i know.

Texas_Ranger
01-29-2007, 02:14 PM
I said ''WTF?''.

MannyIsGod
01-29-2007, 02:15 PM
I wouldn't say that I knew it was going in, but the shot looked clean. Very clean. But to be honest, Finley's shots usually look good. He's so damn mechanicaly sound in his shooting its a huge mystery to me why he's missed to much this year. Even throughout the game his misses were for the most part shots that were halfway down and rattled out.

I hope Finley turns a corner. I really do. He'll never be a great rebounder or defender, but if he can give us scoring off the bench on a consistent basis it would be huge.

2centsworth
01-29-2007, 02:17 PM

Right...

5 ft past the 3 pt line? Come on...

1 honest person :clap

Come on Leonard. The reality is that was the best shot the Spurs could get. If Finley passes the ball the best the spurs could have hoped for is some contested fadeaway jumper. Finley had an OPEN long three and the spurs best choice was to live or die with Finley taking that shot. Finley knew it was his shot so he shot it like a man, make or miss I would have been happy with the shot. anyone who said "NO" doesn't make much sense to me because what was the alternative?

MannyIsGod
01-29-2007, 02:19 PM
I'd imagine that for Finley, a 28 foot jumper isn't all that differen't from a 23 foot jumper.

FromWayDowntown
01-29-2007, 02:27 PM
I think we're all making too much of this -- I'm glad the Spurs won and pleased that Finley came through, but we're now talking about this like it won a playoff series or even a playoff game.

With that said, as I posted yesterday:

And Michael F'n Finley? Talk about a "NOOOOOOO.... YESSSSSS!" moment.

I actually said out loud, just before the ball came in bounds, "this better not be a kick out for a 3."

Shows you what I know. . . .

sanman53
01-29-2007, 02:35 PM
I was hoping Duncan would take that shot at the end. I will admit I said 'NOOOOO'. I am glad Timmy passed it to Fin though. Shows how much confidence he has in his teammates. I hope this builds Fin's confidence from here on out. Good game Spurs! Let's win some more!

GO SPURS GO!

2centsworth
01-29-2007, 02:43 PM
I think we're all making too much of this -- I'm glad the Spurs won and pleased that Finley came through, but we're now talking about this like it won a playoff series or even a playoff game.

With that said, as I posted yesterday:

I actually said out loud, just before the ball came in bounds, "this better not be a kick out for a 3."

Shows you what I know. . . .
It's not that big of a deal except that this year's version of the spurs look all but dead. yesterday was a glimmer of hope.

If you were screaming "nooo!" to Fin then what were your screaming yes to?
Not a big deal, but it's basketball conversation.

LEONARD
01-29-2007, 02:50 PM
Come on Leonard. The reality is that was the best shot the Spurs could get. If Finley passes the ball the best the spurs could have hoped for is some contested fadeaway jumper. Finley had an OPEN long three and the spurs best choice was to live or die with Finley taking that shot. Finley knew it was his shot so he shot it like a man, make or miss I would have been happy with the shot. anyone who said "NO" doesn't make much sense to me because what was the alternative?

Of course he had to shoot becaues of the clock, but that still didn't stop many from thinking NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! :dizzy

That was NOT a high percentage shot, I don't care how anybody tries to spin it...

MannyIsGod
01-29-2007, 02:52 PM
Of course he had to shoot becaues of the clock, but that still didn't stop many from thinking NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! :dizzy

That was NOT a high percentage shot, I don't care how anybody tries to spin it...How many last second shots are high percentage?

LEONARD
01-29-2007, 02:53 PM
How many last second shots are high percentage?

Don't know...but I know none are from 28 ft...

Fabbs
01-29-2007, 02:54 PM

That was NOT a high percentage shot, I don't care how anybody tries to spin it...

Exactly. Props to Fins but the chances of him missing that were good.
One game and one shot and now Fin is "back". :elephant
While we hope this spurs him on...

From L.A.s point of view, that is the shot you want the Spurs to take, except have Lamar Odom stay on Finley and not do the stoopid double down on Tim.

LilMissSPURfect
01-29-2007, 02:56 PM

me

MannyIsGod
01-29-2007, 03:06 PM
Don't know...but I know none are from 28 ft...That point is that very rarely are you going to get a high percentage shot in the last seconds. I don't think there is anyone here who wouldn't rather have TD laying the ball in instead of a 28ft jumper, but all things considered the 28ft jumper in that situation wasn't bad.

FromWayDowntown
01-29-2007, 03:08 PM
That point is that very rarely are you going to get a high percentage shot in the last seconds. I don't think there is anyone here who wouldn't rather have TD laying the ball in instead of a 28ft jumper, but all things considered the 28ft jumper in that situation wasn't bad.

Maybe if Finley had taken a 28 footer at the end of regulation in Game 3, 4, or 7 of the WCSF, Mavs fans would still be slinking around jealous of the Spurs back-to-back titles and 4 in 7 run.

LEONARD
01-29-2007, 03:39 PM

I want you to watch a game with another member and say "make" or "miss" on every shot the Spurs take. Then we can find out from that person if you were 100% right or not... :lol

(seriously, maybe the dumbest thing ever posted here??)

AFBlue
01-29-2007, 03:58 PM
Scared shitless, I'll admit. As open as he was, it was a 26ft shot at least and no matter how "on" the ball looks leaving the hand, that's a lot of distance for stuff to go wrong. Hell, I thought if a guy breathed wrong in the nosebleeds it would knock that ball off course. Great shot, but yeah I was worried.

ShoogarBear
01-29-2007, 04:15 PM
The question is, what percentage of the time do NBA teams convert on a game-winnning or -tieing play with ~7 seconds left in the game? I don't know that number, but I'm guessing for the sake of argument it's something like 10-20%. So now the qeustion is, was Finley's shot a better-than-average attempt under those circumstances?

http://images.sportsline.com/u/gettyimages/photos/71796446NG014_Spurs_Lakers012821_1024x768.jpg

Look at his form in that shot. F'n perfect. The only thing is that it looks like he didn't get the optimal grip across the seams, which is to be expected under the circumstances. And Odom is really is not position to affect the shot.

When an All-Star level shooter gets a clean shot off in form from that range, I'd put it somewhere in the 30-40% chance of success. It wasn't a 0.4* fluke.

ChumpDumper
01-29-2007, 04:18 PM
He shot it with enough time to have a chance at an offensive rebound when it was obviously going to miss.

Smart.

viggenja37
01-29-2007, 04:22 PM
http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/LAS109012820_1024x768.jpg

I believe PWT was screaming "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!", and I'm really just peachy keen with that.

Me? I was screaming "Money!"

BigVee
01-29-2007, 04:24 PM
I think the key was he had no time to think about it. More that than when it was in the game. How many times have you seen someone hit a shot from an out of bounds play when the shot clock has 2-3 seconds on it? Guys know they have to shoot, no time to think about missing. The time pressure sometimes can help.

LEONARD
01-29-2007, 04:32 PM
There was a positive from Mavs fan's perspective and that's that Kobe ended up the loser :fro

boutons_
01-29-2007, 04:48 PM
Michael has the most classic, text-book shooting form of any Spur, perhaps since Steve Kerr. He jumps up (not forward), effortless, smooth, quick, vertical full-arm extension, wrist/finger follow through, nice rainbow.

Look how high he jumps. He shoots with his legs as well as his arm. Kobe does similarly.

Borosai
01-29-2007, 05:32 PM
Before the play, I was thinking to myself that it would be hilarious if Finley took the final shot and made it (this was without knowing that he had actually shot well from 3pt range this game). Hilarious only because he hasn't shot well and really isn't the go-to-guy in that situation. The only thing that surprised me was the distance of the shot...but the result was sweet.

Pugglekicker_21
01-29-2007, 09:56 PM
it was more like "NOOOAAHH YEAH!!!" for me

DieMrBond
01-29-2007, 10:06 PM
I only had the web play by play ... so mine was a little less 'in the moment'.

I think i said something along the lines of 'fuck yeah finley!'

Cry Havoc
01-30-2007, 12:17 AM
I wasn't thinking "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

So much as "please for the love of everything holy go in GO INYESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!! !!!!!!!!"

SequSpur
01-30-2007, 12:34 AM
I just pumped my fist and said fuck yeah.

mavs>spurs2
01-30-2007, 12:52 AM
Actually as soon as he caught the pass I was yelling SHOOOT IT!! And as soon as he shot it I stood up and raised my hands because I knew it was goin in. But then again, my extreme loyality (call it homerism) to all things Wisconsin makes me believe that he will hit every shot he takes. :lol But this time I just knew it was goin in before he shot it.

Just one question....were u a mav fan when Finley still played for Dallas?

Solid D
01-30-2007, 01:40 AM
I was traveling and missed the game but watched the replay tonight. ABC had a replay camera view of the bench during Tim's feed out of the double team to Fin. It was telling.

Coach Pop stands there with arms crossed, focused and watching the called play executed on the floor.
Francisco Elson raises his arm just as Violet Palmer's right arm is raised to signify a three point attempt. Elson sees enough to satisfy him and he confidently turns his head and walks away, knowing the basket is true without seeing it swish. James White and Fabri Oberto stand there and raise their arms in unison with mouths agape as the ball hits the twine. Robert Horry and Beno Udrih follow a split second behind with Violet Palmer's other arm joining them in the foreground. Coach PJ fist-pumps and Don Newman pirhouette's, flexing his right arm...

....and Coach Pop stands there with arms crossed, focused and watching the called play executed on the floor.

http://www.nba.com/media/spurs/pod_070129.jpg

suitedkings
01-30-2007, 02:07 AM
I let out an "oh god"!

THE SIXTH MAN
01-30-2007, 02:19 AM
I was traveling and missed the game but watched the replay tonight. ABC had a replay camera view of the bench during Tim's feed out of the double team to Fin. It was telling.

Coach Pop stands there with arms crossed, focused and watching the called play executed on the floor.
Francisco Elson raises his arm just as Violet Palmer's right arm is raised to signify a three point attempt. Elson sees enough to satisfy him and he confidently turns his head and walks away, knowing the basket is true without seeing it swish. James White and Fabri Oberto stand there and raise their arms in unison with mouths agape as the ball hits the twine. Robert Horry and Beno Udrih follow a split second behind with Violet Palmer's other arm joining them in the foreground. Coach PJ fist-pumps and Don Newman pirhouette's, flexing his right arm...

....and Coach Pop stands there with arms crossed, focused and watching the called play executed on the floor.

Nice recap. :tu

ShoogarBear
01-30-2007, 03:27 AM
Elson turned away? :lol Bad ass.

smeagol
01-30-2007, 08:06 AM
Finley had hit a high % of the threes he tok that game (actually, I belive that is all he hit, 3's).

Props to Pop for drawing the play.

Ocotillo
01-30-2007, 08:08 AM

Pop knew there was enough time for a prayer for the Lakers......

LEONARD
01-30-2007, 10:02 AM

and how many times does the bench do that and the shot does NOT go in? :lol

Solid D
01-30-2007, 10:16 AM
Elson turned away? :lol Bad ass.

Yes, nobody else seemed to show any early sign of a reaction except Elson. Everyone else appeared to react as the ball went through the net.

bdictjames
01-30-2007, 12:33 PM
LOL at the people shouting

johnpaulwall21
01-30-2007, 12:35 PM
I was screaming yes mickie hit that shot let that motha fuckken shot go in and prove to us u still got it u son of a biotch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wakeup

veronicamae
01-30-2007, 05:27 PM
i was standing up, and when i saw the ball in his hands, i nearly sat down in horror as i almost covered my eyes with my hands, and then i was jumping around freaking out!

i'm so glad it went in! Finley is a good shooter when he's on - if only he were on more often.

~Sweetmelody~
01-30-2007, 06:22 PM
I said "oh my god!" and then "yes, yes!!" I think hubby liked my reaction :lol

LEONARD
01-31-2007, 10:40 AM

I want you to watch a game with another member and say "make" or "miss" on every shot the Spurs take. Then we can find out from that person if you were 100% right or not... :lol

(seriously, maybe the dumbest thing ever posted here??)

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Obstructed_View
01-31-2007, 06:43 PM
Props to Fin for not hesitating. Barry has started doing that again recently. Even a low percentage shot has a much better chance of going in if it's taken in rhythm.

tmtcsc
01-31-2007, 08:15 PM
Fock yeah Finster !!! That was the reaction. He can make that shot. I thought it was good and it looked good. He set his feet, his form looked great and he nailed it.

My only concern was that we still had 1.3 secs left for Kobe to do his thing. That guy is clutch and is amazing. I was laying down bets with the family on how or if Kobe would somehow get fouled and we would lose at the line.

Miracle of Miracles, it was just meant to be.

LEONARD
02-01-2007, 09:33 AM
at least Fin used that shot as a springboard going into the Jazz game...

*shifty eyes*