PDA

View Full Version : Manu will continue coming off the bench

TMTTRIO
01-30-2007, 02:44 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA013007.01D.1Dspurs.1bd09ea.html

Ginobili sparks Spurs in reserve

Web Posted: 01/29/2007 11:21 PM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News

LOS ANGELES — Tim Duncan took one look at the stat sheet after Sunday's victory over the Los Angeles Lakers and confronted Spurs coach Gregg Popovich with the evidence.
Brent Barry had missed all four of his shots, Manu Ginobili had gone 5 for 16, and the team had shot a season-worst 33.7 percent.

"That little experiment of yours, Pop?" Duncan said. " Niiiice job."

While the Spurs laughed at the results from Barry's first start of the season, Barry didn't need long to point out the one reason the move was a success.

"We're 1-0, baby," Barry said. "One and oh."

Popovich said after Monday's practice that he plans to keep Barry in the starting lineup in hopes that Ginobili can strengthen the team's bench. Despite his poor shooting, Ginobili finished with 21 points, seven rebounds and one black eye in 28 minutes against the Lakers.

"It's not easy," Ginobili said. "You get used to being a starter, you have your routine, and you know how to manage your minutes. Then you got to change it.

"But I've done it before. And as I always say, if it's better for the team, then I don't care."

Not only was Ginobili not surprised by the lineup change, he predicted to his teammates more than a week ago that Popovich would probably make the move.

In each of the past four seasons, Popovich has moved Ginobili to the bench for at least a handful of games. After starting every game during the regular season in 2004-05, he returned to the bench as soon as the Spurs lost their playoff opener. He also came off the bench for two games in last season's playoffs.

"I know how he thinks," Ginobili said of Popovich. "He really believes it can make us better. Whenever it's a situation where we need to do something, it's going to be that."

While Barry had been the team's most consistent reserve, making 46.5 percent of his 3-point attempts, playing with the starting unit should allow him to help space the floor for Duncan. Popovich also said Barry has done a good job of penetrating and creating for his teammates.

After missing all four of his shots Sunday, three of which came in the first three minutes, Barry jokingly told Ginobili he should ask for his job back. He then offered it to Michael Finley, who made five 3-pointers, including the game-winner with 1.3 seconds left in overtime.

"I'm trying to roll with the punches and trying to just go out and play like I've played," Barry said. "Just being on the court, I should be able to stay in a rhythm.

"Obviously, substitution patterns are going to change, maybe some combinations of guys are going to change ... but it's about just trying to get some wins."

Sunday's victory was arguably the biggest of the Spurs' season. In addition to trailing by nine points with less than five minutes left in the fourth quarter, they had already lost to the Lakers twice and were playing the first of eight consecutive road games.

After missing eight of his 10 shots through the first three quarters, Ginobili rallied the Spurs in the fourth by scoring eight consecutive points. He made a pair of 3-pointers a little more than a minute apart from each other.

"Honestly, it doesn't even matter if he makes a shot all game," Duncan said. "Just having him out there on the floor, making the hustle plays, knowing he's fighting and scrapping all he can, it's a big boost for us."

Ginobili also came up with the game's biggest block, snuffing out Kobe Bryant's shot from behind on the final play of regulation. Bryant swung his right arm after the shot, catching Ginobili flush in the nose and face.

Ginobili's face was still swollen Monday, and the welt under his eye had turned black. But he didn't break his nose — a surprise given the force of the blow — which allowed him to return with a little more than two minutes left in overtime.

On Ginobili's first possession back, he drove down the middle of the lane, drawing a foul.

"He goes out there and tries to make a difference in the game, with the same abandon and courage that he always does," Popovich said. "A lot of guys would have a big problem with (moving to the bench) in this league. But not him.

"He'll do whatever he can do if he thinks it can help our team win."

I don't know. Yes it worked for this last game but it's starting to seem like a desperation move. Hopefully it works out.

WalterBenitez
01-30-2007, 06:21 AM
You know how en of january affects POP's coaching... this is season time for Manu coming from the bench ... he'll finish the season as starter and in the second round of the playoff back to bench, later ....you know

angel_luv
01-30-2007, 06:34 AM
LOS ANGELES — Tim Duncan took one look at the stat sheet after Sunday's victory over the Los Angeles Lakers and confronted Spurs coach Gregg Popovich with the evidence.
Brent Barry had missed all four of his shots, Manu Ginobili had gone 5 for 16, and the team had shot a season-worst 33.7 percent.

"That little experiment of yours, Pop?" Duncan said. " Niiiice job."

:lol

While the Spurs laughed at the results from Barry's first start of the season, Barry didn't need long to point out the one reason the move was a success.

"We're 1-0, baby," Barry said. "One and oh."

Winning, good. Losing bad. :lol

"I know how he thinks," Ginobili said of Popovich.

I'm glad somebody does. :lol

"It's not easy," Ginobili said. "You get used to being a starter, you have your routine, and you know how to manage your minutes. Then you got to change it.

"But I've done it before. And as I always say, if it's better for the team, then I don't care."

"Honestly, it doesn't even matter if he makes a shot all game," Duncan said. "Just having him out there on the floor, making the hustle plays, knowing he's fighting and scrapping all he can, it's a big boost for us."

Gino is so awesome. The team is super blessed to have him.

Ginobili also came up with the game's biggest block, snuffing out Kobe Bryant's shot from behind on the final play of regulation. Bryant swung his right arm after the shot, catching Ginobili flush in the nose and face.

Ginobili's face was still swollen Monday, and the welt under his eye had turned black. But he didn't break his nose — a surprise given the force of the blow — which allowed him to return with a little more than two minutes left in overtime.

Sounds like I am not the only one who thinks Kobe did it on purpose.

smeagol
01-30-2007, 07:49 AM
Good.

I hope it works.

timvp
01-30-2007, 08:03 AM
Hopefully it actually sticks this time. Without Manu coming off the bench, this team's second unit is just too horrible to win a championship. The simple switch of putting Manu on the bench fixes that.

:tu

ArgSpursFan
01-30-2007, 08:10 AM
true,but the team needs more from guys like barry and finley,if they´re not consistent it wont be enough to just bring manu from the bench to get better this year.i hope finley keeps up the good work.

ploto
01-30-2007, 08:16 AM
Sounds like I am not the only one who thinks Kobe did it on purpose.
Where did you get that from? Even Manu doesn't think Kobe did it on purpose.

smeagol
01-30-2007, 08:17 AM
Barry is the third best 3 pt shoter in the League. What else do people want from him?

beirmeistr
01-30-2007, 04:37 PM
I'm sure Ducks must have had multiple orgasms upon hearing of manu's "demotion."

Tek_XX
01-30-2007, 04:41 PM
Manu coming off the bench!!! Pop is a fucking genius

nkdlunch
01-30-2007, 04:44 PM
I really thought Kobe broke Manu's nose. it could have easily happened. WTF was Kobe thinking?

AFBlue
01-30-2007, 04:52 PM
Good move for a few reasons:

1) Tony and Tim are capable of handling the offense for the starting squad.

2) With Duncan likely out when Manu subs, Ginobili can be aggressive; the primary offensive weapon.

3) It provides a reliable scorer on the bench, not one that counts on outside shooting for all of their points.

Overall, it's a good/potentially great move.

johnpaulwall21
01-30-2007, 04:54 PM
Barry is the third best 3 pt shoter in the League. What else do people want from him?

People want him to be a 20/10 guy, but i think hes been good this year for a 35 year old.

cheguevara
01-30-2007, 04:57 PM
yeah I don't understand what Spur fans expect of Barry. He's been satisfactory all season. Consistently hitting the 3s that's the only reason the Spurs office brought him here for.

He is nothing more than Jon Barry's funny little brother.

ALVAREZ6
01-30-2007, 06:11 PM
Spurs lose next game and Pop looks stupid.

gilmor
01-30-2007, 06:15 PM
As I have said all along, Pop should have listend to TiMVP all along.. :))

Pugglekicker_21
01-30-2007, 06:25 PM
it will help. It would be better if Barry can make the most of it as a starter.

Ronaldo McDonald
01-30-2007, 06:27 PM
I'm going to state the obvious: Manu is an absolute professional. This guy could have the biggest ego in the world wth all that he has accomplished individually and in terms of the all successful teams which he has been on--internationally and in the NBA.

Go Manu!

LEONARD
01-30-2007, 06:28 PM
He's a solid 6th man...I wouldn't mind having him as a 7th man for the Mavs... :fro

~Sweetmelody~
01-30-2007, 06:29 PM
I always have mixed feelings about this. I want what is best for the team, but I always think it is unfair to Manu.

beirmeistr
01-30-2007, 07:21 PM
I always have mixed feelings about this. I want what is best for the team, but I always think it is unfair to Manu.
It definitely is unfair to Manu. Stop to think how Tony would feel if Pop had to prop Beno's confidence for a few games by sending Tony to the bench. Think how Bowen would feel if he were benched to help Finley's game.
Manu is a big big man to hide his real feelings and go along with Pop because pop is the boss.

ChumpDumper
01-30-2007, 07:22 PM
Think how Bowen would feel if he were benched to help Finley's game.I think he would react exactly like Manu.

beirmeistr
01-30-2007, 07:24 PM
I think he would react exactly like Manu.
I agree that outwardly he would react like manu, but how would he really feel?

ChumpDumper
01-30-2007, 07:25 PM
I agree that outwardly he would react like manu, but how would he really feel?How does Manu really feel?

beirmeistr
01-30-2007, 07:27 PM
How does Manu really feel?
Nobody will ever really know until he writes his memoir, but i suspect that he feels that he should be a starter.

ChumpDumper
01-30-2007, 07:30 PM
And?

So what?

beirmeistr
01-30-2007, 07:31 PM
But, chumpdumper, it's no big deal. The prrof is in the pudding. If the Spurs reel off 10 straight victories, manu will continue on the bench. On the other hand, if things don't go as smoothly as before the "demotion," I would not be surprised to see Manu as the starter again.

ChumpDumper
01-30-2007, 07:32 PM
it's no big dealAgreed.

Ronaldo McDonald
01-30-2007, 08:47 PM
It definitely is unfair to Manu. Stop to think how Tony would feel if Pop had to prop Beno's confidence for a few games by sending Tony to the bench. Think how Bowen would feel if he were benched to help Finley's game.
Manu is a big big man to hide his real feelings and go along with Pop because pop is the boss.

How is it unfair? Is choosing to not let the team play up to its potential fair? Is changing the starting line up for the (hypothetical) betterment of the TEAM unfair?

~Sweetmelody~
01-30-2007, 08:49 PM

That is One of the reasons Manu is loved.

Who knows how Manu really feels, but I feel it is unfair.

Nikos
01-30-2007, 08:54 PM
Other than the simple label of being called a bench player I don't beleive this move makes a huge difference as far as Manu is concerned.

I think in the past it was different, because Manu actually got 3-4mpg less as a result of being a bench player. At this point of his career Pop has so much trust in him, and Manu has come through time and time again for the past few years as a legit 2nd/3rd scorer for this team. In 2004 Manu was still establishing himself as a player, and putting him on the bench was somewhat of a diss considering Hedo was a weaker player, and Manu still was growing as a player in the NBA and on the team.

Today Manu knows he is about as good in the regular season as he ever will be. Putting him on the bench won't hurt or help him really. But there is a small chance it could help boost either Barry or Finley's confidence -- and maybe help shake the team lineups up a little bit.

TMTTRIO
02-01-2007, 01:51 AM
So how long would ya'll give this experiment since it's not working? :)