PDA

View Full Version : If Finley's Shot Had Missed . . .

timvp
01-30-2007, 09:41 AM
:pctoss

You inbound the ball with seven seconds to go down by one and the shot you get is a Finley three from 30 feet away? Not even give Manu a touch. Another Pop brilliant call. Go for the desperation three-pointer when Manu had been drawing fouls all game.

Unfrigginbelievable.

Most predictible thread of the night.

you dont take a 3 when all you need is a 2

you go for the inside bucket

I don't mind finley taking that shot in the 2nd qtr

but no way in hell do i want the ball in his hands at the end of overtime

especially with manu and td on the floor

the spurs might as well kiss the season good bye its over

Time to tank. Greg Oden here we come!!!

Just wait for timvp to come home from his dinner with Pop.

I guess that's what happens when you have a psychology major as your coach. Maybe the Spurs should hire a math major.

To be perfectly honest, if Finley hits that shot I'm even more critical of the decision. Taking a three when you are down one is STUPID. What's wrong with a drive to the basket and actually taking the layup? It seems like Tony Parker hit those at a rather high percentage in overtime.

Just wait for timvp to come home from his dinner with Pop.
:lmao :lmao

When is the last time Finley hit a shot at the end of a quarter? He hasn't hit a buzzer beater as far as I can remember.

That's like Bowen shooting a three when you are down with under a minute to go. He never hits that shot.

Basketball is just a game. I used to get worked up over it now I don't let it effect me.

Grow up.

Finley blows.

More Repug, redneck, red state education play calling. 5-8 against teams with over a .500 record. Season over.

I thought it was a decent play call. Finley was the only shooter who looked confident out there. Manu was banged up and the Lakers were going to collapse on Tim. Not the greatest of shots but the Spurs fought hard in what was probably their best showing of the year.

Barry has never missed a clutch shot in his time with the Spurs........

Finley has never hit a clutch shot in his time with the Spurs......

Add it up

I thought it was a decent play call. Finley was the only shooter who looked confident out there. Manu was banged up and the Lakers were going to collapse on Tim. Not the greatest of shots but the Spurs fought hard in what was probably their best showing of the year.
:lmao :lmao

You want to reveal to us why Horry wasn't on the floor? The Horry homers all say that he's good for big shots but he wasn't anywhere to be found.

Go get them next time Spurs =)

There were only three options. A Manu drive. A Manu shot. A Manu three. Anything else is a mistake.

I thought it was an awesome game. The Spurs lost but it was very fun to watch. Everybody hit big shotsand it's the type of game that can help this team down the line. Even though it didn't end with a win, it was still a good game and the Spurs have positives to take away from it.

The fact that some of you still think player has game just because he's a former All-Star is amazing. I would rather play James White instead.

Actually, the way Finley was shooting (or rather, the way everyone else was shooting) he was my top choice aside from a Duncan layup.

Fins sucks I told you guys all along that he sucks. The fin sniffers told me to hold off but I told you he sucked. Fins sucks end of story all you media type instructed by the Spurs to prop fins can go to hell.

It was all a plot by the Spurs to lower Finely's confidence. Just like Pop did with Del Negro, Perdue, Kerr, Hedo, Rasho, Beno and Barry, he finds ways to lower their confidence by putting them in positions that make them fail. Like Rasho was asked to play more physical on offense but Pop knew that wasn't his game so it was just a PR stunt to show Spurs fans that Rasho wasn't doing what the Spurs asked so the PR machine could justify a trade.

I would rather play James White instead.
I'm sure you would.

It was all a plot by the Spurs to lower Finely's confidence. Just like Pop did with Del Negro, Perdue, Kerr, Hedo, Rasho, Beno and Barry, he finds ways to lower their confidence by putting them in positions that make them fail. Like Rasho was asked to play more physical on offense but Pop knew that wasn't his game so it was just a PR stunt to show Spurs fans that Rasho wasn't doing what the Spurs asked so the PR machine could justify a trade.

:flipoff

:cuss:cuss:cuss

If Holt would sign off on a couple moves, the game wouldn't have even come down to that.

I was impressed with the Spurs ability to come back time after time. You can't fault the effort.

I'm sick of all the Pop homers. If you watch a Pop coached team play enough you can tell what dumb play he was going to draw up. The moment Finley shot it, I turned off my TV because I knew the game was over.

I knew the game was over.
timvp knew it first. timvp said the game was over when Duncan passed the ball :madrun

If Holt would sign off on a couple moves, the game wouldn't have even come down to that.

:cuss:cuss:cuss

At least it wasn't Bonner getting the last shot.

:lmao

STFU Short Stuff. Use that peanut head for something useful.

http://www.damninteresting.net/content/nagasaki.jpg

dg7md
01-30-2007, 09:42 AM
:lol

PM5K
01-30-2007, 09:45 AM
I'm just surprised at how many people here actually think Finley hasn't hit clutch shots for us when this is the sixth game that he's won for us....

Bruno
01-30-2007, 09:46 AM
:lol So true.

dg7md
01-30-2007, 09:54 AM
Best post on Spurstalk I've ever read.

gtownspur
01-30-2007, 10:06 AM
Too much idle time in one's hands.

ShoogarBear
01-30-2007, 10:07 AM
If he hits it:

I told you.
:smokin
If he misses it:

I told you.

suitedkings
01-30-2007, 10:13 AM
Eh, Manu had perfect position for the rebound.

Jimcs50
01-30-2007, 10:13 AM

angel_luv
01-30-2007, 10:17 AM

timvp
01-30-2007, 10:19 AM
If he hits it:

If he misses it:

Yeah, I kinda covered that in the first post of this thread.

Thanks.

Shelly
01-30-2007, 10:20 AM
Dang!

How long did it take you to find those posts? :lol

ShoogarBear
01-30-2007, 10:24 AM
Yeah, I kinda covered that in the first post of this thread.

Thanks.

:smokin:lol

Just trying to be more succinct.

Oh, now that you mentioned it, why wasn't Horry out there?

Jimcs50
01-30-2007, 10:27 AM
You forgot :

Originally posted by Jimcs50

I think Brad is cute

TwoHandJam
01-30-2007, 10:28 AM

That's easy. Because Kobe would have fouled him and gotten away with it.

timvp
01-30-2007, 10:28 AM
Dang!

How long did it take you to find those posts? :lol

Just a quick jump over to a parallel universe and a little copy and paste.

Same reason why Bowen can't hit three-pointers when the Spurs are down in the final minute.

:hat

Cherry
01-30-2007, 10:35 AM
:lmao @ spurs fans :lol

FromWayDowntown
01-30-2007, 10:37 AM
How come there's no mention of this post:

pop madde the clal but finley sucks wrost than lebron.

Solid D
01-30-2007, 10:38 AM
:rollin
Ha @ FWD also.

All I can say timvp is...

http://www.guinness1759society.com/images/landing_blooper_img.jpg
Brilliant!

Rusty Shackleford
01-30-2007, 10:41 AM

Wow. Some of those posts sound straight up, fucking nuts.

Budkin
01-30-2007, 10:55 AM
Great post! I love TPark going at Sequ!

velik_m
01-30-2007, 11:59 AM

so true...

bdictjames
01-30-2007, 12:00 PM
Lol who posted that last pic?

themvp
01-30-2007, 12:21 PM
Perfect! :lol

SequSpur
01-30-2007, 12:27 PM

whottt
01-30-2007, 12:31 PM
Instant classic. :lmao

MannyIsGod
01-30-2007, 12:33 PM
Omg...

Best post ever.

SequSpur
01-30-2007, 12:39 PM
really.... that was brilliant timvp.

Spurminator
01-30-2007, 12:55 PM
Maybe if Tony Parker was a true point guard we wouldn't have been in that position in the first place.

ploto
01-30-2007, 01:07 PM
If Rasho had been here, he could have taken that shot! :lol

boutons_
01-30-2007, 01:44 PM
Who can seriously argue that taking a 3G shot when you're down 1 pt is the percentage play. It worked, we're all happy, but it wasn't the percentage play. I really doubt that it was Pop's first choice.

Does anybody know whether Pop called for jumper?

The ball did first go inside to Tim then outside to Michael.

ChumpDumper
01-30-2007, 02:34 PM
we're all happyDoesn't sound like it.

MannyIsGod
01-30-2007, 03:49 PM
Boutons is never happy though, he doesn't count.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-30-2007, 03:53 PM
hahahahahahaha

timvp it's gonna be a looooooooooong time before I live this one down!

Solid D
01-30-2007, 04:51 PM
Who can seriously argue that taking a 3G shot when you're down 1 pt is the percentage play. It worked, we're all happy, but it wasn't the percentage play. I really doubt that it was Pop's first choice.

Does anybody know whether Pop called for jumper?

The ball did first go inside to Tim then outside to Michael.

I haven't heard anyone say who the 1st and 2nd options were but it sure looked like it was supposed to be either Timmy or Michael as the primaries. Why? Because it was a side-out-of-bounds play coming out of a time-out and Fin started out on the opposite low-block and curled off a screen and came out to the opposite wing. When Odom collapsed off, Tim went quickly to Fin and Fin didn't hesitate. Also, Pop didn't react. He just stood there watching with arms crossed expressionless. If something breaks down to make him upset...well we all know how he reacts to that.

cheguevara
01-30-2007, 04:52 PM
If Finley would have missed he would still suck in my book. He sucks in my book even though he made it. He needs to show consistency and then we'll see.

Solid D
01-30-2007, 05:42 PM
Update from the Pop Show, Pop said that there were 2 other options that weren't there so Timmy passed out of the double to the next option (Finley). Pop said Tim "made the smart play".

wildbill2u
01-30-2007, 06:30 PM
Apparently he was not the first option after Tim. If Finley missed the shot, then everyone would be criticizing Tim for passing it to him since his shooting percentage has been so bad.

Ironically, his shooting percentage in that game also sucked when you compiled all his shots--but his 3 pt shooting was exceptional. Luck or skill? Go figure.

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-30-2007, 07:25 PM
You, sir, are a king amongst men. :lol

Don Quixote
01-30-2007, 08:18 PM
Shoot ... all the existential alternate universe "what-if" crap can give a guy a headache! If Finley makes the shot, then (a) Spurs fans get upset because we only won by 2, and if it rims out, then Spurs fans are just mad because they lost.

And we can go and on with this.

What if Sean misses the Memorial Day Miracle?

What if a couple plays go differently against Detroit?

What if Fisher misses 0.4?

What if Manu, for once in his life, turns off that competitive spirit at the end of regulation in Game 7 last year, and just lets Dirk get the layup?

What if we didn't win the lotto in 1997? Or 1987?

What if Pop decided to hang on to Bob Hill back in 96? Seemed like a bad idea at the time.

Etc.

We'll never know. That's why we watch the athletes perform. All this hypothetical metaphysical crap is rendered moot between the lines.

Ocotillo
01-30-2007, 09:38 PM

I need to post more so I can get satirized as well.

ShoogarBear
01-30-2007, 09:44 PM
Anyone else getting the extreme irony vibes?

http://www.marcouzi.net/picasso_don_quixote.gif

whottt
01-30-2007, 10:05 PM
I don't know how ironic the vibe was...I was thinking more like Don forgot to logout and that was Sancho.

polandprzem
01-30-2007, 10:08 PM
:depressed

I'm sure I said something

Mr. Body
01-30-2007, 11:32 PM
That would have been funny if it obviously hadn't taken a long time to put together.

SPURS vs NBA media
01-30-2007, 11:53 PM
Best post on Spurstalk I've ever read.

brown noser :smokin :smokin

timvp
01-31-2007, 09:01 AM
That would have been funny if it obviously hadn't taken a long time to put together.

Are you serious? How slow do you type? It took me all of five minutes to type those 300 words ... and that's including the time it took me to consider whether I should add some Javtokas for the MLE smack.

Obstructed_View
01-31-2007, 06:36 PM
Let me offer a full apology for questioning the wisdom of our beloved coach or those who routinely suck on his chode. The decisions are obviously perfect and unquestionable when the shot goes in. Shot selection apparently doesn't mean anything to the basketball geniuses.

I guess having Horry shoot a three is smart. He's the second worst thee point shooter on the team, but hey, he's big shot Bob. Statistically, if you give him the ball at the end of every tie game, he's gonna win one out of every three if he's actually able to get a shot off. Giving the ball to one of the league leaders in field goal percentage with a 19 year old defending him would just be stupid, because basketball is about surprising your opponent rather than playing to your own strengths.

I guess having Horry shoot a three when the game is tied is smart. You must get extra credit in the win column if you win by three instead of by two or one. Again, the depth of baskeball knowledge is hard for some of us to grasp.

I guess having Horry shoot a three, but leaving time on the clock, is a good play. Derek Fisher isn't on the Lakers anymore, so there are no clutch shooters to worry about. Nobody can get a shot off in two seconds.

The end of overtime was even better. Yes, we still went for three when we only needed one or two and we still left time on the clock, but Finley is only the third worst three point shooter on the team and he was only two or three feet behind the line when he shot it.

Smart basketball all around. Thanks for showing me the error of my ways. The Spurs are playing fabulous basketball and I just didn't realize it. I shouldn't have let siilly things like the 0.538 record over the last 20 or the disintegration of the point differential worry me.

Let's start a letter writing campaign to make sure Horry and Finley get more shots, because it works so well. After all, the Spurs won against the Lakers, and that's all that matters, right?

Right?

ChumpDumper
01-31-2007, 06:42 PM
:nope Jeez fellas, learn how to appreciate a great joke.

Obstructed_View
01-31-2007, 06:48 PM
:nope Jeez fellas, learn how to appreciate a great joke.
The joke is that somehow two bad shots mired in poor strategic decisions are good just because one of them happened to work in overtime after two really good defensive plays. I guess we learned our lesson from the 0.4 game that we shouldn't give the ball to Duncan because the Spurs lost. Either that or the joke is that some of us on this board can't see the pattern of bad decisions emerging game after game.

It's okay, we'll just remind everyone of the three championships the Spurs already won when they say anything about our team.

ChumpDumper
01-31-2007, 06:53 PM

The joke is about us, doofus. It's about how we post.

I'm just pissed I only had one line.

Obstructed_View
01-31-2007, 07:00 PM

The joke is about us, doofus. It's about how we post.

I'm just pissed I only had one line.
:bang

Kori Ellis
02-01-2007, 12:33 AM
BUMP. I still wonder where TIMVP got that quote of mine.

Umm.. None of the quotes are real. It's a frickin' joke, mocking how the forum freaks out about stuff.

xcoriate
02-01-2007, 06:13 AM
Holy shit :lmao

I nearly missed this thread - and then I would have found it 2 years later in classics and wondered what happened :lol