PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista

Shelly
01-30-2007, 09:56 AM
Anyone upgrading? Today's the big day!

I have to upgrade to XP Pro to install the latest version of my accounting program. My reseller told us NOT to upgrade to Vista.

leemajors
01-30-2007, 10:03 AM
if you upgrade, format and reload before doing it. microsoft advertises easy upgrades without reformatting, but in my experience it never works right.

KEDA
01-30-2007, 10:05 AM
trust me, dont buy it.

a polished turd is still a turd.

101A
01-30-2007, 10:08 AM
Memory, processor HOG. Be afraid.

Shelly
01-30-2007, 10:12 AM
KEDA, will you be telling your customers not to buy it? :lol

Shelly
01-30-2007, 10:33 AM
I'm sure ducks already has his copy...

ShoogarBear
01-30-2007, 10:37 AM
Yeah, he keeps it on a roll next to his toilet.

ashbeeigh
01-30-2007, 10:38 AM
Do you think that Windows update will automatically download it eventually? That will piss me off beyond belief. Especially if it happens this weekend when I need to be doing homework.

ShoogarBear
01-30-2007, 10:41 AM
This is not an automatic update. This is an entire new version of Windows.

ashbeeigh
01-30-2007, 10:44 AM
This is not an automatic update. This is an entire new version of Windows.

I know that, but just to be Microsoft...

CubanMustGo
01-30-2007, 10:46 AM
It would only be automatic if they could charge you $200 for the privilege.

KEDA
01-30-2007, 11:03 AM
KEDA, will you be telling your customers not to buy it? :lol

all I can do is just point to the product, if a customer asks me if I have it, I will say no I dont.

thats about all I can do.

01-30-2007, 11:05 AM
all I can do is just point to the product

Damn, now I have a mental image of dude in blue short sleeved polo with khaki Dockers holding his nose while wincing and pointing at software.

dave
01-30-2007, 12:15 PM
its crap, XP at the moment actually performs better

baseline bum
01-30-2007, 12:17 PM
I've used Vista for about a month at work, and I'm very unimpressed. It's very cluttered by default. I.e., they place tons of worthless applets on your desktop, crap like a giant clock, a slideshow, weather, and so on. For gaming, it's the worst operating system you can have. Everyone has DirectX 9 video cards (unless they spent $650 on a GeForce 8800GTX or $500 on a GeForce 8800GTS), but Vista uses DirectX10, meaning all your games are being emulated by DirectX10 as DirectX9, over DirectX9 hardware that is having to emulate DirectX10, meaning your frame-rates will suck horribly, and you'll have to turn down a lot of things like resolution and details in your game that would otherwise show great in XP, and sometimes the games will literally take minutes to launch, while having to slowly allocate buffers. As an illustration of how bad this is, during my lunch breaks sometimes I play Grand Theft Auto San Andreas on a system with 1 GB RAM, a 256 MB GeForce 6600 video card, and a 3.2GHz Intel Pentium R CPU, and Vista as the OS. I was shocked to find out it actually play at a worse frame rate with less details turned on than on my old computer that has 384MB of RAM, a 64MB Radeon 8500 video card, a 1.5 GHz Athlon XP CPU, and Windows XP Pro SP2... and this is a game that was specifically designed for GeForce cards (there's even a freaking GeForce logo in the startup screen), that is known to have a lot of problems with ATI Radeon cards.

Compatibility with XP just isn't there, and it feels more like a Beta than a finished product when you use it.

Shelly
01-30-2007, 12:20 PM
I've used Vista for about a month at work, and I'm very unimpressed. It's very cluttered by default. I.e., they place tons of worthless applets on your desktop, crap like a giant clock, a slideshow, weather, and so on. For gaming, it's the worst operating system you can have. Everyone has DirectX 9 video cards (unless they spent $650 on a GeForce 8800GTX or $500 on a GeForce 8800GTS), but Vista uses DirectX10, meaning all your games are being emulated by DirectX10 as DirectX9, over DirectX9 hardware that is having to emulate DirectX10, meaning your frame-rates will suck horribly, and you'll have to turn down a lot of things like resolution and details in your game that would otherwise show great in XP, and sometimes the games will literally take minutes to launch, while having to slowly allocate buffers. Compatibility with XP just isn't there, and it feels more like a Beta than a finished product when you use it.

Isn't their big deal that the security features are top notch? I thought that's what I read about it...not that I believe it.

ObiwanGinobili
01-30-2007, 12:20 PM
I'm not getting it.

but I'm switchign to apple next year.
I just put some more memory in ol' betsy so she'll hold out 12 more months.

:lol i;m watchign CNN right now and they are suggesting you upgrade your CPU and your RAM if you are goign to upgrade to Vista. :bling

ObiwanGinobili
01-30-2007, 12:22 PM
Isn't their big deal that the security features are top notch? I thought that's what I read about it...not that I believe it.

they will be top notch for about 24 hrs.
there are people who live just to break apart windows - and I here that soem of them were part of the BEta group - so they got a head start on vista virus production.

MannyIsGod
01-30-2007, 12:25 PM
I see no reason for me to go through a big hassle right now when what I have works extremely well. I don't see what I would gain. I'm already secure, and I don't think I need Vista's security features many of which I woudln't get without buying the most expensive version of the OS. Their tiered pricing is crap.

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-30-2007, 12:26 PM
Damn, now I have a mental image of dude in blue short sleeved polo with khaki Dockers holding his nose while wincing and pointing at software.

KEDA's shirt is red.

baseline bum
01-30-2007, 12:27 PM
I'm not getting it.

but I'm switchign to apple next year.
I just put some more memory in ol' betsy so she'll hold out 12 more months.

:lol i;m watchign CNN right now and they are suggesting you upgrade your CPU and your RAM if you are goign to upgrade to Vista. :bling

I can't get into Apple ever since they scrapped the G5 processors. They just went to Intel because it was a hell of a lot cheaper for them.

Shelly
01-30-2007, 12:27 PM
Doesn't Microsoft have a link where you can test if your computer can handle it?

My husband just bought a Dell laptop and it's 'Vista Upgrade capable'.

Shelly
01-30-2007, 12:28 PM
Will XP prices come down?

baseline bum
01-30-2007, 12:30 PM
Will XP prices come down?

What? From free? Thank god for the FCKGW disc. :lol

ShoogarBear
01-30-2007, 12:30 PM
Yeah, if you go to microsoft.com they have a tool you can download to see if your computer is compatible with Vista and/or Office 2007.

. . . and if it isn't it wipes your hard drive and burns out your screen.

dave
01-30-2007, 12:31 PM
benchmarks that show xp>vista
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/29/xp-vs-vista/page4.html

Shelly
01-30-2007, 12:31 PM
What? From free? Thank god for the FCKGW disc. :lol

well, some of us aren't as computer advanced...

Like I said, I have to upgrade to Pro before installing the latest upgrade of my accounting program.

baseline bum
01-30-2007, 12:32 PM
BTW, has anyone seen Apple's new Vista commercial? I usually hate those commercials, but that one about Windows going into surgery to have Vista installed was hilarious.

baseline bum
01-30-2007, 12:37 PM
benchmarks that show xp>vista
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/29/xp-vs-vista/page4.html

Damn.. on one of those games on those benchmarks, Vista has a very serious bug that cannot be missed when the game is run on it. I'm shocked it wasn't mentioned.

01-30-2007, 12:39 PM
BTW, has anyone seen Apple's new Vista commercial? I usually hate those commercials, but that one about Windows going into surgery to have Vista installed was hilarious.

Link (http://www.apple.com/getamac/)

CubanMustGo
01-30-2007, 01:40 PM
With what Vista costs (and you don't want just the "Basic" version if you're going to bother upgrading), it makes no sense to go buy memory, buy a video card, and buy the upgrade, then fight all the compatibility issues and so on. Just go buy a new machine that comes with the Home Premier (or whatever version). You can get a pretty decent new machine for the cost of the upgrade to 1GB/video card/Vista upgrade fee alone.

dougp
01-30-2007, 01:48 PM
I just ordered a new laptop with Vista Home Premium ... the beauty is I have a corporate version of XP Pro (fully legal, <3 friends in TechNet) so if I have many problems I'll just drop in my XP cd. But eh, beta testing I never had a problem with Vista.

Slomo
01-30-2007, 01:51 PM
Isn't their big deal that the security features are top notch? I thought that's what I read about it...not that I believe it.Nobody has seen it yet. People that know about IT security are saying, that they have yet to see a change in MS's approach to security. Many people do not realize that on XP there's a ton of processes and even servers running in the background and are totally hidden to the user and even when switched off are re-initialized by the famous MS update system. Vista is supposed to behave in a similar way, but with new "improved" services - so if we can say that most holes in XP have been discovered and taken care of (or at least there are solutions available to those who want them) Vista is a whole new can of worm.

The only real difference that has been built into Vista is security for copyrighted materials. It is now called "prime content" and Vista will be able to switch off certain features (like video and audio output) if it "detects" the presence of copyrighted prime content on your computer, in extreme cases it will actually slow down the operation of the computer.

So I guess when they are talking about security they mean the security that they'll make billions by forcing software (programmes, films, audio...) and hardware (CD roms, Motherboards....) manufacturer to buy expensive security certificates from MS.

The system is flawed and totally idiotic but advantageous to MS and its friends.

If you want to know more:

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html (http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/%7Epgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html)

As a private user the best solution is to wait and see how quickly they start fixing stuff (and there's a lot of it!!!). As a corporate user? who cares its a problem for your IT guys :lol

P.S. and the first Vistas exploits are also already on the net...

01-30-2007, 01:54 PM
The only real difference that has been built into Vista is security for copyrighted materials. It is now called "prime content" and Vista will be able to switch off certain features (like video and audio output) if it "detects" the presence of copyrighted prime content on your computer, in extreme cases it will actually slow down the operation of the computer.

So I guess when they are talking about security they mean the security that they'll make billions by forcing software (programmes, films, audio...) and hardware (CD roms, Motherboards....) manufacturer to buy expensive security certificates from MS.

DRM already hacked (http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/29/windows-vista-protected-media-path-drm-already-broken/)

Slomo
01-30-2007, 01:58 PM
DRM already hacked (http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/29/windows-vista-protected-media-path-drm-already-broken/)I know and congrats to who did it, but you know they're going to fix it and automatically "update" it. :flipoff

resistanze
01-30-2007, 04:29 PM
Vista isn't that bad, I just wouldn't have gotten it if I had to pay for it, that's for sure. And you'll need 2GB of RAM to not experience any sluggishness, I only have 1GB at the moment.

dave
01-30-2007, 05:14 PM
too bad for people who bought sound cards
http://pc.ign.com/articles/759/759538p1.html

theres no hardware acceleration for audio in windows vista, lol

Steve Perry
01-30-2007, 05:43 PM
trust me, dont buy it.

a polished turd is still a turd.

^ this person gets it.

I told many of you two years ago to be ready to sell your soul to the Government. After you buy Vista and your PC is loaded down with all kinds of Tracking software your ass will be monitored at every mouse click.

Forget downloading free shit and looking on Google on how to make a bomb. and say hello to Big brother's Bigger brother. :wakeup

pooh
01-30-2007, 06:18 PM
They were saying that by 2011, there would still be over 25% of computer users still using XP - 10 yrs after it was released. I would wait as long as you could. I'm sure Ducks would say the same thing, if not...get a MAC.

boutons_
01-30-2007, 06:24 PM
As usual, what Intel provides, MS takes back. You'll need a lot more CPU and RAM for Vista. I'm already swapping badly with 512 MB on XP.

"Experts: Don't buy Vista for the security"

http://news.com.com/Experts+Dont+buy+Vista+for+the+security/2100-1016_3-6154448.html

Figure the Vista will be buggy and compromised many times during until this time 2008. And some XP apps won't run on Vista, so you have to buy upgrades to apps.

The upgrade treadmill, Just Say No.

Shelly
01-30-2007, 07:35 PM
Just got this email from my accounting software:

Here at Sage Software Customer Support, we provide you with up-to-date technical information. Because you subscribe to a Sage support plan, we are sending you the following support article:

Important Information regarding Sage MAS 90, 200, and 500 Compatibility with Microsoft® Windows Vista™

Effective January 30th, the Vista operating system is generally available to new and existing PC users. The currently shipping versions of Sage MAS 90, Sage MAS 200, Sage MAS 500 ERP systems as well as Sage MAS 200 – SQL Server Edition are not fully compatible with the Vista operating system. It is important to note that the compatibility issues with Vista are not isolated to our accounting software, but Vista also impacts many of the third-party products that we leverage to deliver a best-in-class mid-market ERP solution including Crystal Reports® from Business Objects and Microsoft FRx.

The Sage MAS Product Team is currently evaluating our third party products and complementary Sage Software Solutions for a definitive timeline on full compatibility and certification on the Vista operating system. We will be posting a Vista Compatibility update on March 1, 2007 on http://www.sagesoftwareonline.com.

Marhq
01-31-2007, 05:51 PM
If I used Windows (I don't) I would wait until the first service pack is out before upgrading to Vista. New Windows versions always have broken/unfinished stuff when they are first released.

Saludos.

JoeChalupa
01-31-2007, 06:12 PM
Heck, I'm still on ME.