PDA

View Full Version : Preston Wilson re-signs with the Cardinals

MajorMike
01-30-2007, 11:22 AM
Boy, the Cards owned some hatas in this thread :smokin

Preston Wilson came up huge against the Mets too.

Game tying hit and winning run in game 5.

Bring him on back Walt.

They did just that. 1 Mil for him is a STEAL.

Preston Wilson re-signs with the Cardinals
By Derrick Goold
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
01/30/2007

As the Cardinals pursued and pursued and pursued pitching, Preston Wilson weighed interest from other clubs but waited for his preferred destination, the Cardinals, to express their interest in the form of a contract.

Last week, he got the offer he sought.

On Monday, he signed.

Wilson, a late-season addition who took on a larger role than expected come October, agreed to a one-year major league deal that guarantees him $1 million for the 2007 season. The righthanded-hitting outfielder can earn an additional $500,000 in incentives and essentially completes the Cardinals' offseason shopping, about two weeks before the start of spring training.

"Preston is happy for an opportunity, knowing that he is going to get a chance to play, knowing that Tony (La Russa) wants him there," said Wilson's agent, St. Louis-based Bob Bry. "He wanted to come back because of the experience he had with the World Series, with the way the season ended. ... He knows he's going to get a chance (there). He's not your typical fourth outfielder."

Wilson, 32, offers an additional bat and a veteran glove to a position of uncertain health for the Cardinals. Center fielder Jim Edmonds and right fielder Juan Encarnacion are expected to be ready for opening day, but they will be slowed this spring as they recover from surgeries. Edmonds had shoulder and toe operations in the offseason, while Encarnacion had surgery to replace a ligament in his left wrist.

A .292 hitter against lefthanded pitching last season, Wilson also offers a complement to second-year slugger and left fielder Chris Duncan, a lefthanded hitter who was spelled against some lefties last summer.

"With all the free agents we had in pitching, we had to go and take our best there and when that reached a finality we could fill other needs. I told (Wilson) it's not for lack of interest," La Russa said late Monday night. "I just think there's potential for significant at-bats at that position. We were impressed with the lift Preston gave us on and off the field."

Wilson, three seasons removed from leading the NL with 141 RBIs, had been consistent, even insistent, with his interest in returning to the Cardinals. He started in nine of the club's 16 postseason games, the first October of his career. Around Christmas, La Russa called Wilson and assured him the Cardinals wanted him back, they just had made pitching a priority. La Russa affirmed his wish to have Wilson back to join So Taguchi as a righthanded outfield alternative during the team's visit to the White House.

With the last of their pitching targets, Jeff Weaver, agreeing to a deal with Seattle this past weekend, the Cardinals moved on Wilson. To make room for him on the 40-man roster, the Cardinals designated Class AAA catcher Michel Hernandez for assignment.

Wilson joined the Cardinals in August as a free agent recently released by Houston, where he had 55 RBIs. In 33 regular-season games for the Cardinals, Wilson hit eight of his 17 home runs and batted .243 with 17 RBIs. He drove in the go-ahead run in Game 5 of the NLCS.

K-State Spur
01-30-2007, 12:35 PM
I don't know about a steal. He gives you nothing that the average 4A player couldn't provide.

MajorMike
01-30-2007, 12:42 PM
And we are to take someone from KState's opinion on baseball?

K-State Spur
01-30-2007, 02:05 PM
I'm sorry.

If you'd like to make me look stupid, please feel free to post any and all stats that back-up that Wilson is anything more than a below average hitting outfielder, who is no longer a great defensive player and has the kind of plate discipline that makes Corey Patterson look like Ted Williams.

If the Cards feel his veteran leadership is worth 1 million per year, more power to them, that's not a lot of money and can be of value to the team. His actual baseball skills don't even warrant a spot on the 40 man roster.

MajorMike
01-30-2007, 02:28 PM
His actual baseball skills don't even warrant a spot on the 40 man roster.

He drove in the go-ahead run in Game 5 of the NLCS.

A .292 hitter against lefthanded pitching last season

an additional bat and a veteran glove to a position of uncertain health for the Cardinals

Wilson back to join So Taguchi as a righthanded outfield alternative

He wanted to come back

Preston Wilson weighed interest from other clubs but waited for his preferred destination

Yeah, I'd say in today's maket... 1 Mil is one heck of a deal. The Cards were an anemic 23-34 with a .264 batting average against left-handers during the regular season. With Tony's plug-in roster, which included Wilson, So and switch-hitting Spiezio in the post season, they were 4-3 against lefties. I like it.

K-State Spur
01-30-2007, 03:59 PM
He drove in the go-ahead run in Game 5 of the NLCS.

A .292 hitter against lefthanded pitching last season

an additional bat and a veteran glove to a position of uncertain health for the Cardinals

Wilson back to join So Taguchi as a righthanded outfield alternative

He wanted to come back

Preston Wilson weighed interest from other clubs but waited for his preferred destination

Yeah, I'd say in today's maket... 1 Mil is one heck of a deal. The Cards were an anemic 23-34 with a .264 batting average against left-handers during the regular season. With Tony's plug-in roster, which included Wilson, So and switch-hitting Spiezio in the post season, they were 4-3 against lefties. I like it.

Okay, I'll backtrack off those statements a bit, he can hit lefthanders a little (pretty respectable .858 OPS against LHP last year). He should be sitting next the peanut vendor when a righty is on the mound, but he does give you that. I still say that he is making about what he is worth, so not a steal, but I'll take back my 40 man roster comment - provided that team struggles against lefties.

T Park
01-30-2007, 10:23 PM
not worth a 40 man roster spot?

a 275 guy that has proven his mettle in big game spots?

:lmao

bitter bitter astros fans.

K-State Spur
01-30-2007, 10:58 PM
Not a stros fan at all. He does hit lefties, so he has some value there. But overall, his VORP in recent years has been neglibible - which means that you could bring up an average AAA player for the league minimum and get the same production - so yes, on many (most?) teams, he would not be worth a spot on the 40 man roster.

T Park
02-08-2007, 05:31 PM
Im afraid your just flat out wrong.

AAA kids for the minimum can't do what he did in clutch spots, and in the field last year.

leemajors
03-19-2007, 11:35 PM
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/cardinals/story/32CD75905039415C862572A3000E8368?OpenDocument

T Park
03-22-2007, 12:18 AM
The Post Dispatch is always trying to find stories where there aren't.

Larussa said ona pregame show a day or two ago that the meeting was "routine"

But typical of the damn drama queens at the PD its blow out of purportion.

MajorMike
03-22-2007, 08:49 AM
I wouldn't be suprised to see some combo of Duncan, Spiezio, Edmonds and possibly Schumaker or Rodriguez in the OF. Schu and Rodriguez have both done very well this spring, and are both part of the future for the club (both in 20s). Wilson still hasn't had that bad a spring, just not as good as everyone else. He is hitting .256 but has 13 SOs (most on the team with around half the ABs).

T Park
03-22-2007, 10:59 PM
Wilson has always been a strikeout guy, but he proved in the playoffs he can get a hit when it counts.

Scumacher is another 4A John Gall Kerry Robinson type outfielder.

Rodriguez sucks, I don't care what his friggen numbers are.

Duncan looks better than last year wich is awesome, Spiezer keeps on keepin on what a great pickup hes been, Edmonds will trot out for opening day.

I wish they could swing a deal for a decent outfielder that could take Rodriguez's spot.

Im down here in Florida gonna catch the Cards Mets game tommarow.

Braden Looper starting.

SIGH..... (shakes head)

MajorMike
03-23-2007, 02:22 PM
Well you know we also have Encarnacion when he is 100% from his surgery, too.

T Park
03-23-2007, 11:06 PM
Yeah but hes 100% mediocre.

No Braden Looper today.

Instead minor league Mike Ginter who looked fantastic.

Izzy looked great too.

Springer looked horrid.

On to Viero tommarow to watch em play the Washington Nationals. Will get my first look at Kip Wells.

Hopefully can get tickets to sunday's gave vs the Marlins I think, Anthony Reyes should go in that one.

have never seen him live so would be fun.