johnpaulwall21
01-30-2007, 12:21 PM
what da hell happened?????

Pistons < Spurs
01-30-2007, 12:22 PM
Knick Of Time? Kobe Suspended One Game For Striking Ginobili
30th January, 2007 - 12:21 pm
Press Release -
Kobe Bryant of the Los Angeles Lakers has been suspended one game without pay for striking San Antonio Spurs guard Manu Ginobili in the face, it was announced today by Stu Jackson, NBA Executive Vice President, Basketball Operations.

The incident occurred on Sunday, Jan. 28 with 2.7 remaining in the fourth period of the Lakers 96-94 (OT) loss to the Spurs at Staples Center. Bryant will serve his suspension tonight when the Lakers play the New York Knicks at Madison Square Garden

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/44467/20070130/knick_of_time_kobe_suspended_one_game_for_striking _ginobili/

mardigan
01-30-2007, 12:22 PM
For his hit in Manu

Pistons < Spurs
01-30-2007, 12:23 PM
That is complete bullshit. No way was that deserving a suspension.

mardigan
Updated: Jan. 30, 2007, 12:18 PM ET
Kobe suspended tonight vs. KnicksESPN.com

Kobe Bryant was suspended by the NBA for tonight's Lakers game against the Knicks at Madison Square Garden for striking the Spurs' Manu Ginobili in the face on Sunday.

Bryant hit Ginobi with 2.7 seconds remaining in the Lakers' eventual overtime loss to the Spurs. However, the Lakers guard was not ejected and finished with 31 points in the 96-94 loss.

mardigan
I agree, dont think that warranted a suspension

SAtown
This is pretty shocking

Kori Ellis
01-30-2007, 12:24 PM
I agree, dont think that warranted a suspension

Me either.

But I guess because it was to his head, they felt it was warranted (intentional or not).

timvp
01-30-2007, 12:25 PM
What the hell?

Kobe was trying to draw a foul.

Man, the Spurs always get the benifit of some weak azz suspensions. Artest and Terry in the playoffs last year were pretty weak ... and now this takes the cake.

VaSpursFan
damn...i'm actuall shocked that they suspended him.

mardigan
Maybe it will keep players from overreacting trying to draw a foul

johnpaulwall21
01-30-2007, 12:26 PM
what da fucckkk!! they still talkin bout that hit. oh well that gives the knicks a chance to win the game.

spurs_fan_in_exile
Wow. Stu Jackson's walking softly and swinging a big stick this year. I guess The Church left a llama head in his bed or something.

Taco
That is complete bullshit. No way was that deserving a suspension.

http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/8186/captlas10801290016spursmt0.jpg

MannyIsGod
01-30-2007, 12:29 PM
What the hell?

Man, the Spurs always get the benifit of some weak azz suspensions. Artest and Terry in the playoffs last year were pretty weak ... and now this takes the cake.Terry's suspension wasn't weak. Let me rabbit punch you in the nuts and then we'll see whats weak.

I think it was pretty damn obvious Kobe did this on purpose. I don't think he intended to hit Manu in the face, but his swing out was intending to hit Manu without a doubt, and when you make contact with the face the way you do its not to be taken lightly. In fact, that hit almost cost the Spurs the game. Go back and watch how long it took him to get back in the game and how that was when the Lakers went on their run in OT.

That being said, I think a fine would have been more than enough.

johnpaulwall21
man that picture looks like manu was layed out by shaq.

spurs_fan_in_exile
all you people that think kobe's hit was not intentional are stupid, gulliable and blind. I told you it was intentional and a suspension proves it......losers.

All it proves is that Stu Jackson thought it was intentional.

bdictjames
01-30-2007, 12:30 PM
That's weird

themvp
01-30-2007, 12:30 PM
Lame. Kobe would never do something like that, intentional.

angel_luv
01-30-2007, 12:31 PM
You guys really don't think Kobe deserved a foul for intentionally ramming Gino in the face?

I am glad Kobe was suspended.

infinite styles
What the hell?

Man, the Spurs always get the benifit of some weak azz suspensions. Artest and Terry in the playoffs last year were pretty weak ... and now this takes the cake.

Yeah, I could see how punching a man in the nuts is a pretty weak reason to suspend somebody.

picnroll
It was way too far to the side to be unintentional or try to draw a foul. Definitely think it was a punishment blow but surprised they suspended him

Kori Ellis
01-30-2007, 12:34 PM
You guys really don't think Kobe deserved a foul for intentionally ramming Gino in the face?

I am glad Kobe was suspended.

I don't think he intentionally hit him in the face. I think he intentionally was trying to draw a foul, and carelessly hit him in the face.

This was probably one of those situations when after reviewing the tape, since it was to the head and they didn't eject him, they decided to do something. I think suspension is a big overreaction though.

timvp
01-30-2007, 12:34 PM
You guys really don't think Gino deserved a foul for intentionally ramming Gino in the face?

angel_luv might be on to something. This might have been the best flop in the history of man. Maybe Manu heard that the NBA is going to crack down on flopping so he decided to go the extra mile.

:smokin

whottt
01-30-2007, 12:35 PM
I think it's ridicuous they suspended him...the next cheap shot Kobe takes at a player to intentionally hurt them will be the first. You can talk a lot of shit about Kobe but Pop is right, that's not his style. Bad suspension. I've seen Manu do worse than that. Manu did the same thing to Vlad Rad in OT as a matter of fact, difference is that Rad's face is about 4 inches higher than Manu's.

mardigan
01-30-2007, 12:38 PM
Its probably going to be a deterant for players flailing around trying too draw fouls, hopefully it will work.

ShoogarBear
01-30-2007, 12:38 PM
:lol Ridiculous. But I haven't read Lakersground.net in months. This might be a fun time to check it out.

johnpaulwall21
01-30-2007, 12:39 PM
angel_luv might be on to something. This might have been the best flop in the history of man. Maybe Manu heard that the NBA is going to crack down on flopping so he decided to go the extra mile.

DAMNNNNNN manu
hes tryin to earn that money when his shots arent goin in if hes floppin like that. :smokin :smokin :smokin

VaSpursFan
01-30-2007, 12:41 PM
I think it's ridicuous they suspended him...the next cheap shot Kobe takes at a player to intentionally hurt them will be the first. You can talk a lot of shit about Kobe but Pop is right, that's not his style. Bad suspension. I've seen Manu do worse than that. Manu did the same thing to Vlad Rad in OT as a matter of fact, difference is that Rad's face is about 4 inches higher than Manu's.

i would say it's not his style to be flagrant or blatantly obvious with his elbows. but raja bell kind of brought this to light in last years playoffs. kobe was giving him all kinds of subtle elbows to his grill :lol :lol

timvp
01-30-2007, 12:42 PM
Terry's suspension wasn't weak. Let me rabbit punch you in the nuts and then we'll see whats weak.

That was probably the most deserving of all the suspensions, but there never was an angle to see what happened.

I'm still trying to figure out what Artest did to deserve his suspension versus the Spurs.

I think it was pretty damn obvious Kobe did this on purpose. I don't think he intended to hit Manu in the face, but his swing out was intending to hit Manu without a doubt, and when you make contact with the face the way you do its not to be taken lightly.

Players like Reggie Miller and Dirk Nowitzki have made their careers on flailing out to draw contact when they shoot. Just because Manu got hit in the face doesn't mean Kobe should get suspended.

Next thing you know, Tim Duncan is going to get poked in the eye and the defender is going to get suspended because it was a blow to the head. If you are going to suspend Kobe here, you might as well suspend whoever that was who elbowed Barry in the face a couple games back.

2centsworth
some of the suspension probably had to do with Kobe being cavalier about the officiating. 1st he mocked the officials for not calling his foul on horry and then he carelessly hits Manu in the face. It's a message to be carefull and not to takes his stardom for granted.

It's very understandable to me. However, I can see how Manu haters don't like it.

Medvedenko
Brutal....I do agree with some that he was careless but this is sad...the NBA is a complete joke. Last year Raja clotheslined Kobe in the neck and only got one game. What a sad state of affairs. Whoever says Kobe gets preferential treatment is sadly mistaken.

timvp
01-30-2007, 12:44 PM
However, I can see how Manu haters don't like it.

:lol

Who in this thread is a Manu hater?

I don't think there are more than five Spurs fans alive who don't love Manu.

2centsworth
01-30-2007, 12:44 PM
That was probably the most deserving of all the suspensions, but there never was an angle to see what happened.

there were like 5 different angles that showed exactly what happened. I saw it on the first replay during the game. I remember Don Harris showing an excellent angle during his sports broadcast.

2centsworth
01-30-2007, 12:45 PM

they will come out.

Kori Ellis

I actually don't think there are any Spurs fans who don't love Manu.

mikejones99
Of course it was intentional you idiots, you don't connect in the face by accident. JUst look at Kobe when he gets angry, he goes almost insane. Hits to the face have to get you suspended.

MannyIsGod
01-30-2007, 12:46 PM

I'm still trying to figure out what Artest did to deserve his suspension versus the Spurs.

Players like Reggie Miller and Dirk Nowitzki have made their careers on flailing out to draw contact when they shoot. Just because Manu got hit in the face doesn't mean Kobe should get suspended.

Next thing you know, Tim Duncan is going to get poked in the eye and the defender is going to get suspended because it was a blow to the head. If you are going to suspend Kobe here, you might as well suspend whoever that was who elbowed Barry in the face a couple games back.Yeah, I don't know what the fuck got Artest suspended. I don't think this suspension is fair either, but what Kobe did was pretty fucked up. And like Whottttttttttttttttttttttttt said, I do think he's mocking of the officials didn't help him in this case.

Unlike a lot of Spurs fans, I love Kobe. But I was pretty pissed when he hit Manu like that.

angel_luv
01-30-2007, 12:47 PM
My mom wrote me after the game saying that, after seeing the nasty hit Gino took, she'd prayed God would show justices and that the Lakers would lose.

You know a sports figure is acting ugly when he gets my mom riled up. :lol

2centsworth
I actually don't think there are any Spurs fans who don't love Manu.
then how do we get Trade Manu threads?

angel_luv

Oh stop! :lol

2centsworth
01-30-2007, 12:48 PM
Yeah, I don't know what the fuck got Artest suspended. I don't think this suspension is fair either, but what Kobe did was pretty fucked up. And like Whottttttttttttttttttttttttt said, I do think he's mocking of the officials didn't help him in this case.

Unlike a lot of Spurs fans, I love Kobe. But I was pretty pissed when he hit Manu like that.
whotttt didn't say that papa.

Kori Ellis
I don't think Kobe was mocking the officials. He was just joking around with Horry - they are friends.

Anyway, if Kobe gets suspended for flailing to create contact, then a whole lot of other players should start getting suspended.

Like I said earlier in this thread, I think he intentionally tried to create contact, but I don't think he maliciously was trying to hit Manu in the face/head as some here seem to think.

bigfan
It was intentional. Fuck Kobe.

Trainwreck2100
This new pussy NBA sucks ass.

ploto
I don't think he intentionally hit him in the face. I think he intentionally was trying to draw a foul, and carelessly hit him in the face.

This was probably one of those situations when after reviewing the tape, since it was to the head and they didn't eject him, they decided to do something. I think suspension is a big overreaction though.
Wonder if the Spurs complained? They usually do a pretty good job of keeping that secret.

MannyIsGod
01-30-2007, 12:49 PM
My bad, I gave Whotttttttttttt credit for Pete's take.

whottt
i would say it's not his style to be flagrant or blatantly obvious with his elbows. but raja bell kind of brought this to light in last years playoffs. kobe was giving him all kinds of subtle elbows to his grill :lol :lol

Every 2 guard in the league does that...including Manu. Honestly, Spursfans don't have a high horse to get up on about this. Manu unloads more than his fair share of elbows...and I'd be pissed if Manu got a suspension if the situation were reversed.

No way in hell was Kobe trying to hurt him, and I also don't think his concern was mock concern.

Everyone forgets Kobe has never been anything but a fan of Manu's game and extremely complimentary towards him. I agree he was deliberately trying to clear space, but no way was he trying to lay him out, and no way does he deserve to be suspended.

ploto
Have you watched Bruce Bowen's elbows?

Kori Ellis
01-30-2007, 12:50 PM
Wonder if the Spurs complained? They usually do a pretty good job of keeping that secret.

They might have asked them to review it, but they were probably going to review it anyway. The pictures of manu's bloody face were everywhere, so they probably were going to automatically check it out.

Borosai
01-30-2007, 12:51 PM
I think a fine would have been enough (or nothing at all)...it's not like he was looking at him and took a swing. It was definitely intentional...he got blocked and brought his arm back to clear him out and get the ball back, but I doubt his intent was to bust Manu's face. And he has taken cheap shots before, although it's not the norm for him.

Surprising none the less.

ploto
01-30-2007, 12:53 PM
My mom wrote me after the game saying that, after seeing the nasty hit Gino took, she'd prayed God would show justices and that the Lakers would lose.
Wow! I guess your view of God is vastly different than mine.

coopdogg3
I would have just settled for a foul being called.

angel_luv
I don't think Kobe was mocking the officials. He was just joking around with Horry - they are friends.

Anyway, if Kobe gets suspended for flailing to create contact, then a whole lot of other players should start getting suspended.

Like I said earlier in this thread, I think he intentionally tried to create contact, but I don't think he maliciously was trying to hit Manu in the face/head as some here seem to think.

This is a real question... Isn't trying to create contact with your elbow unsportsman like not to mention dangerous.

Kobe got Gino with all elbow. I find hard to believe that was accidental or necessary.

timvp
Every 2 guard in the league does that...including Manu. Honestly, Spursfans don't have a high horse to get up on about this. Manu unloads more than his fair share of elbows...and I'd be pissed if Manu got a suspension if the situation were reversed.

No way in hell was Kobe trying to hurt him, and I also don't think his concern was mock concern.

Everyone forgets Kobe has never been anything but a fan of Manu's game and extremely complimentary towards him. I agree he was deliberately trying to clear space, but no way was he trying to lay him out, and no way does he deserve to be suspended.

Exactly.

Kobe is on record as saying Manu is his favorite player in the NBA.

Spurs fans are acting like Kobe jumped up got blocked and while in mid air turned around and punched Manu in the face.

:lmao

Kori Ellis

:lol Mine too. I don't think God cares about the outcome of sports.

Medvedenko
01-30-2007, 12:54 PM
Angel Luv....yes your mom praying for Kobe's suspesion...please have her pray for world peace, but praying for that is selfish and not inclusive to Jesus's teachings....

timvp

Rasho fight :hungry:

2centsworth

it wasn't intentional but it was careless. I'm a huge fan of Kobe's game and don't think he's out there trying to hurt anyone.

However, like Kori said the hit to Manu could have been more serious because it was a blow to the head.

whottt
Side note:

What the hell is Manu's nose made out of? Titanium?

How the f does that nose never get broken with as many shots as it takes?

Rip Hamilton needs a nose transfusion from Manu.

tlongII
The suspension is bullshit, but the NBA is clearly going overboard since the Detroit vs Indiana incident. Carmelo's suspension was ridiculously overdone as well.

angel_luv
01-30-2007, 12:55 PM

God is a Spurs fan. :fro

ploto
01-30-2007, 12:55 PM
They might have asked them to review it, but they were probably going to review it anyway. The pictures of manu's bloody face were everywhere, so they probably were going to automatically check it out.
It's just surprising when it's the same suspension KG got for throwing a ball at someone and "attempting" a punch.

Borosai
01-30-2007, 12:56 PM
Carmelo should have been suspended for a few more games for running away like a bitch.

2centsworth
01-30-2007, 12:57 PM
It's just surprising when it's the same suspension KG got for throwing a ball at someone and "attempting" a punch.
back peddling as fast as you can is not "attempting" a punch.

VaSpursFan
01-30-2007, 12:57 PM
Have you watched Bruce Bowen's elbows?

elbows are one thing...you can't play b-ball without throwing a few. elbows to the face...are different. i have yet to see Bruce or Manu elbow anyone in the grill.

that said, I think Raja's complaint/reaction last year kind of set the tone for this. I don't think Kobe should have been suspended. In fact, I'd like to know what BS reasons lead Stu to make this decision.

Kori Ellis
01-30-2007, 12:58 PM
However, like Kori said the hit to Manu could have been more serious because it was a blow to the head.

Well the rule is that if you hit someone above the shoulders with an elbow, then you are supposed to be automatically ejected. And then if, for whatever reason, they don't eject you and the tape is reviewed, they can take action after that (suspension, fine, whatever).

So, if they deemed it an elbow, then obviously this suspension is because of the "no elbows above the shoulders" rule.

LEONARD
Weak...

man that picture looks like manu was layed out by shaq.

LOL...the damage is too much to look at... :lol

NBA players really are pussies...seriously...

Johnny_Blaze_47
Fine, tops.

I really don't think that warranted a suspension.

EDIT: On Kori's point, if it's because of the elbows to the face rule, then yeah, I guess...but I don't think it was intentional.

mikejones99
most of you people must be blind. Kobe was mad so he practically punched manu in the face because he got his shot blocked. Amazing how many of you stick up for Kobe. You bitches should let Kobe punch you in the face.

ploto
01-30-2007, 01:02 PM

:p:

2centsworth
01-30-2007, 01:03 PM
Fine, tops.

I really don't think that warranted a suspension.

EDIT: On Kori's point, if it's because of the elbows to the face rule, then yeah, I guess...but I don't think it was intentional.
I don't THINK is was intentional either. However, Kobe is a little on the nutty side.

Medvedenko
01-30-2007, 01:03 PM
Please send me a link to the phantom elbows raja was complaining about. That guy is the biggest bitch in the NBA...there was one so called elbow that got kobe a foul that didn't even connect. Raja pulled a matrix move and sold the contact. Pure BS...just like Stu (I sucked and ran the Grizzlies into the ground) Jackson.

picnroll
01-30-2007, 01:05 PM
:p:
Put down the purse and step back mister.

angel_luv
01-30-2007, 01:06 PM

:stirpot: :lol

TheNextGen

timvp
I just watched the replay and it looks like Kobe hits Manu with the back of his hand while flailing to try to draw contact.

This is probably the weakest suspension I've ever seen. If Kobe gets suspended for this, then any time that any player in the league is contacted above the shoulders, that should draw a suspension.

LakeShow
01-30-2007, 01:07 PM
Well the rule is that if you hit someone above the shoulders with an elbow, then you are supposed to be automatically ejected. And then if, for whatever reason, they don't eject you and the tape is reviewed, they can take action after that (suspension, fine, whatever).

So, if they deemed it an elbow, then obviously this suspension is because of the "no elbows above the shoulders" rule.

Is that a rule? Why wasn't Manu suspended last playoffs for his elbow on Artest? Same situation. This sucks big time. The NBA as a whole does not play by the same rules. Different strokes for different folks! I call bullshit!

Medvedenko
TimVP I agree wholeheartedly....

Kori Ellis
I just watched the replay and it looks like Kobe hits Manu with the back of his hand while flailing to try to draw contact.

This is probably the weakest suspension I've ever seen. If Kobe gets suspended for this, then any time that any player in the league is contacted above the shoulders, that should draw a suspension.

I think it's somewhere between his hand and his elbow (like mid forearm), but I think the league considered it the same as elbow.

Anyway, if the supension leads to a Laker loss, then I'm all for it :lol

TheNextGen
01-30-2007, 01:08 PM
:lol If Kobe got a suspension, he might aswell clothesline Manu like what Raja did to him.

angel_luv
01-30-2007, 01:09 PM
TimVP I agree wholeheartedly....

Well given your avatar... :lol

I kid. The same could be said about my opinion on the matter, if I weren't so right. :)

Kori Ellis
Is that a rule? Why wasn't Manu suspended last playoffs for his elbow on Artest? Same situation. This sucks big time. The NBA as a whole does not play by the same rules. Different strokes for different folks! I call bullshit!

Here's the rule:

Officials have been instructed to eject a player who throws a punch, whether or not it connects, or an elbow which makes contact above shoulder level. If elbow contact is shoulder level or below, it shall be left to the discretion of the official as to whether the player is ejected. Even if a punch or an elbow goes undetected by the officials during the game, but is detected during a review of a videotape, that player will be penalized.

timvp
Why wasn't Manu suspended last playoffs for his elbow on Artest?

Yeah, that was the same exact play. Manu flailed to draw contact and elbowed Artest in the face.

Well actually, Kobe's wasn't as bad because he didn't hit him with his elbow.

ploto
01-30-2007, 01:12 PM
Throwing an elbow means something different to me.

mikejones99
01-30-2007, 01:12 PM
What Kobe did was worse than anything Stephen Jackson ever did so Indiana should get some money back or Kobe should get 30 games.

Supergirl
01-30-2007, 01:13 PM
Man, I don't understand this at all.

There was a bunch of hits in that game that warranted a foul call, and MAYBE suspension, but not the Kobe hit on Manu, which looked entirely accidental.

Unless, it's as Kori says, it's simply a matter of "any blow to the head=suspension" regardless of whether it was an accident or not. Which I guess would make sense.
Because, really, if Kobe was so reckless with his body, even completely accidentally, as it clock Manu that hard in the head, that's really not OK. He could really hurt someone, even accidentally.

Which is the same thing say about Bowen, who I don't believe ever intentionally tries to hurt anyone. But then again, he's never accidentally hit anyone in the head.

whottt
01-30-2007, 01:14 PM
i have yet to see Bruce or Manu elbow anyone in the grill.

Manu's got just about the deadliest elbows in the NBA...if you haven't seen him elbow anyone in the grill then you haven't been watching many Spurs games. In fact it's a pretty much guranteed that anyone that gets overly physical with Manu is going to catch a boney Argentine elbow upside they head at some point. There's a price to be paid for playing great D, and Manu generally makes players pay that price as much as any 2 guard in the league.

For purposes of not getting an elbow upside my face, I'd rather guard Kobe than Manu 7 days a week.

angel_luv
01-30-2007, 01:15 PM
What Kobe did was worse than anything Stephen Jackson ever did so Indiana should get some money back or Kobe should get 30 games.

You can't be serious. I probably dislike Kobe as much as anyone could, but he doesn't deserve that kind of comment.

2centsworth
where should someone search to find a clip of the hit?

ploto
Which is the same thing say about Bowen, who I don't believe ever intentionally tries to hurt anyone. But then again, he's never accidentally hit anyone in the head.
Except with his foot!

angel_luv
01-30-2007, 01:16 PM
Except with his foot!

Wally right?

Medvedenko
01-30-2007, 01:17 PM
Yeah, did Bowen receive a suspension for kicking wally in the face...no, intentional or not...he deserved at least a game.

kobe_bryant
01-30-2007, 01:19 PM
The league is trying to set an example. What can I do? I am a fly caught in this web.

kobe_bryant
01-30-2007, 01:23 PM
It wasn't an elbow, it was the back of my hand. I was trying to draw a foul. Look at film of Miller, Manu, even Jordan. They all flared the arms out in order to draw attention, thus a foul.

Why would I hurt Manu? He is my favourate player in the world.

aaronstampler
01-30-2007, 01:27 PM
Yeah, that was the same exact play. Manu flailed to draw contact and elbowed Artest in the face.

Well actually, Kobe's wasn't as bad because he didn't hit him with his elbow.

Okay you clearly DON'T remember how it went down. Manu wasn't even shooting, it was a loose ball and Manu was going forward toward the basket from the baseline after collecting the ball, while Artest was behind him trying to reach for it. I'm not saying it was totally unintentional, Manu might have been trying to send Artest a message early in the series, but the plays really weren't very similar at all.

Afterward, in the 3rd quarter when the game was a rout, Artest did indeed look for revenge. He looked behind him to see Manu chasing his guy off a screen, raised his elbow at just the right time, and turned his head away at the last second in a weak attempt to fool the refs into thinking he wasn't looking and it was an accident. It was like those no-look passes people throw where they're looking the whole time until the last nanosecond at their target.

mikejones99
01-30-2007, 01:28 PM
kobe, shut up n go practice. You should get a divorce from that bitch too. Hurry, cuz if you stay married for more than 10 years in cali you will be paying for life.

Medvedenko
01-30-2007, 01:29 PM
Mikejones99...you bring nothing to this forum...please leave.

Jimcs50
01-30-2007, 01:30 PM
What the hell?

How do Spurs benefit here?

TheNextGen
01-30-2007, 01:30 PM
Kobe suspended tonight vs. KnicksESPN.com news services

Kobe Bryant said Tuesday he was "shocked" to receive a one-game suspension for hitting Manu Ginobili in the face on Sunday.

Bryant
Bryant said he unintentionally elbowed Ginobili and felt "terrible" about the play. However, Bryant said he can't believe he was suspended.

"I haven't seen a precedence for this. There's unintentional elbows that take place in a game all the time," Bryant told reporters at Madison Square Garden.

Bryant hit Ginobili while trying to defend a shot with 2.7 seconds remaining.

"I'm blown away by it. It makes no sense," Bryant said.

Bryant's suspension also surprised Lakers coach Phil Jackson.

"I have been a little disappointed with how Kobe has been treated as a premier player," Jackson said.

Bryant was not ejected for the incident and finished with 31 points in the 96-94 loss.

With Bryant suspended, the Lakers will open an eight-game road trip without their leading scorer.

Bryant is averaging 28.4 points, 5.5 assists and 5.4 rebounds.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Kori Ellis
01-30-2007, 01:31 PM
Mikejones99...you bring nothing to this forum...please leave.

I agree.

LakeShow
01-30-2007, 01:31 PM
Okay you clearly DON'T remember how it went down. Manu wasn't even shooting, it was a loose ball and Manu was going forward toward the basket from the baseline after collecting the ball, while Artest was behind him trying to reach for it. I'm not saying it was totally unintentional, Manu might have been trying to send Artest a message early in the series, but the plays really weren't very similar at all.

Afterward, in the 3rd quarter when the game was a rout, Artest did indeed look for revenge. He looked behind him to see Manu chasing his guy off a screen, raised his elbow at just the right time, and turned his head away at the last second in a weak attempt to fool the refs into thinking he wasn't looking and it was an accident. It was like those no-look passes people throw where they're looking the whole time until the last nanosecond at their target.

My thing is that it was a blow above the shoulders which by NBA Rules should have warranted a suspension. Manu wasn't shooting but he did catch Artest with an elbow to the chops.

angel_luv
01-30-2007, 01:32 PM
I wish I could see a replay- all I have to go on is my intial reaction. Not saying it was wrong, but I want to see what the rest of you are talking about.

timvp
01-30-2007, 01:34 PM
Okay you clearly DON'T remember how it went down.

I apologize for not keeping a journal of Manu's every move.

Manu wasn't even shooting, it was a loose ball and Manu was going forward toward the basket from the baseline after collecting the ball, while Artest was behind him trying to reach for it. I'm not saying it was totally unintentional, Manu might have been trying to send Artest a message early in the series, but the plays really weren't very similar at all.

Manu gave Artest an elbow to the face. Kobe gave Manu a backhand to the face.

Kobe got suspended.

:dizzy

Fabbs
01-30-2007, 01:35 PM
where should someone search to find a clip of the hit?

Haha! Right on. Or still photos.
Then we can see how *accidental* his *hand* to the face as he was *clearing space*. Get real!

You can bet they are nowhere to be found.
Doubt ABC-KobeTV will make any available.

Kori Ellis
01-30-2007, 01:37 PM
You can easily find a clip of it on the web if you look. However, such clips or links to clips will not be posted here. Thanks:)

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-30-2007, 01:38 PM
Kobe suspended tonight vs. Knicks
ESPN.com news services

Kobe Bryant said Tuesday he was "shocked" to receive a one-game suspension for hitting Manu Ginobili in the face on Sunday.

Bryant said he unintentionally elbowed Ginobili and felt "terrible" about the play. However, Bryant said he can't believe he was suspended.

"I haven't seen a precedence for this. There's unintentional elbows that take place in a game all the time," Bryant told reporters at Madison Square Garden.

Bryant hit Ginobili while trying to defend a shot with 2.7 seconds remaining.

"I'm blown away by it. It makes no sense," Bryant said.

Bryant's suspension also surprised Lakers coach Phil Jackson.

"I have been a little disappointed with how Kobe has been treated as a premier player," Jackson said.

Bryant was not ejected for the incident and finished with 31 points in the 96-94 loss.

With Bryant suspended, the Lakers will open an eight-game road trip without their leading scorer.

Bryant is averaging 28.4 points, 5.5 assists and 5.4 rebounds.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2748084

timvp
01-30-2007, 01:38 PM
Here is a video link to it:

http://broadband.nba.com/cc/playa.php?content=video&url=http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/nba/nbacom/recaps/recap_657_saslal.asx

Kori Ellis
01-30-2007, 01:40 PM

http://broadband.nba.com/cc/playa.php?content=video&url=http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/nba/nbacom/recaps/recap_657_saslal.asx

Before anyone questions it, that link is okay to be posted since it's NBA.com.

angel_luv
01-30-2007, 01:42 PM
For what consolation it is, I think the Lakers can handle this one game against the Knicks without Kobe. :)

STEVEYCU
01-30-2007, 01:46 PM
this is the second thread that has a bunch of Spurs fans sticken up for Kobe... It is flat out disgusting. The hit was very inten and like it was already said almost coast us the game. The name of this thread should be switched to Laker love .......

mardigan
01-30-2007, 01:47 PM
No ones sticking up for him, if it didnt look intientional to someone, than it doesnt look intentional, relax

Fabbs
01-30-2007, 01:49 PM

Thanks for the link.
Is a clearer one available?
Still shots?

That one is grainy and taken from a long shot lense.
Very inconclusive.
It's a video i would use were i trying to hide what Kobme did.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-30-2007, 01:50 PM

http://broadband.nba.com/cc/playa.php?content=video&url=http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/nba/nbacom/recaps/recap_657_saslal.asxdid they edit out the intentional hit?

whottt
01-30-2007, 01:54 PM
this is the second thread that has a bunch of Spurs fans sticken up for Kobe...

It's more like this suspension is a joke and I'd hate to see it become common place...if it does you can expect Manu and Duncan to start getting about 15-20 suspensions per year. And just about every other great scorer in the league as well.

If Kobe had been intentionally trying to hit him in the face and hurt him it'd be one thing...but he clearly wasn't. And say what you want but he's never been that kind of a player, no matter how much of an arrogant ball hogging horses ass he can be otherwise. Two things you can't accuse Kobe of being, a cheap player, or a whiner.

Believe me there are no shortage of those types of players in the league and if Kobe were one of them I'd be only too happy to put him on the list.

This is ridiculous...Kobe has had Bowen crawling up his ass for about 7 years now and he's never once taken a cheap shot or whined about it...yes, even Kobe deserves better than he got on this one...and so do the rest of the scorers in the NBA.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-30-2007, 01:57 PM
Terry's suspension wasn't weak. Let me rabbit punch you in the nuts and then we'll see whats weak.

I think it was pretty damn obvious Kobe did this on purpose. I don't think he intended to hit Manu in the face, but his swing out was intending to hit Manu without a doubt, and when you make contact with the face the way you do its not to be taken lightly. In fact, that hit almost cost the Spurs the game. Go back and watch how long it took him to get back in the game and how that was when the Lakers went on their run in OT.

That being said, I think a fine would have been more than enough.

Manny beat me to it.

And all the Kobe apologists from Sunday can suck it.

boutons_
01-30-2007, 02:00 PM
I'd have to go with intentional based on how Kobe immediately strode briskly down the court, leaving Manu on the floor, looking very smugly self-satisfied and unconcerned about Manu's condition.

Didn't look to me like the face of someone who just had his game-winner stuffed.

Kori Ellis
01-30-2007, 02:02 PM
I'd have to go with intentional based on how Kobe immediately strode briskly down the court, leaving Manu on the floor, looking very smugly self-satisfied and unconcerned about Manu's condition.

Didn't look to me like the face of someone who just had his game-winner stuffed.

What?

Kobe went over to Manu on the floor to check to make sure he was okay.

mardigan
01-30-2007, 02:03 PM
Yeah, Kobe stood there for quite some time to make sure Manu was ok

Mark in Austin
01-30-2007, 02:03 PM
If the NBA was enforcing like this during Karl Malone's career, he'd never play more that 2/3 of a season.

itzsoweezee
01-30-2007, 02:05 PM
lol at spurs fans getting upset about this.
you talk a ton of shit about spurs players and then get all heated up about defending kobe dipshit bryant.
pathetic.

boutons_
01-30-2007, 02:07 PM
ok, retracted, the NBA clip didn't show Kobe standing by Manu.

Laker4ever
This is a real question... Isn't trying to create contact with your elbow unsportsman like not to mention dangerous.

Kobe got Gino with all elbow. I find hard to believe that was accidental or necessary.

Look up the Lakers game against the Jazz last year on youtube.Kobe smacking Manu in the face was unintentional but him flailing and trying to make contact to get the foul called was intentional.If you see that game against the Jazz on youtube you would see Kobe flailing his arms waaaay after he took the shot and slamming his hand onto the defenders hand flailing sideways.In no way that fould should have favored us but it did and I think Kobe was trying to do the exact same thing to Manu hoping he would make contact and maybe get the foul called.Unfortunately Manu jumped and was higher than intended and Kobe ended up smackin him one.

2centsworth
that was a hard hit. can't tell from the clip if it was an elbow or not but it did look like a big time Karate chop.

mardigan
Who is getting upset? Its a discussion about a foul that wasnt called. Pathetic is not understanding how there can be two sides to an argument, no one is saying they love Kobe, just discussing the future of suspensions like this one

CavsSuperFan
01-30-2007, 02:08 PM
Kobe looking smug doesn’t mean that he intended to strike anyone in the face...Kobe always looks smug...And Kobe often swings his arms after shooting... :smokin

TheNextGen
01-30-2007, 02:10 PM
Kobe has a video reaction on ESPN.com

whottt
01-30-2007, 02:10 PM
And all the Kobe apologists from Sunday can suck it.

Including Manu and Pop?

Bruno
01-30-2007, 02:12 PM
Pathetic.
It's the result of applying the rule (contact above the neck) without thinking.
Even a fine was too much.

ChumpDumper
01-30-2007, 02:13 PM
Pathetic.
It's the result of applying the rule (contact above the neck) without thinking.
Even a fine was too much.A fine would have been fine.

Fabbs
01-30-2007, 02:14 PM
ok, retracted, the NBA clip didn't show Kobe standing by Manu.

no need for retraction. Kobmes 1st reacton definitely was "immediately strode briskly down the court, leaving Manu on the floor, looking very smugly self-satisfied and unconcerned about Manu's condition."

Upon seeing the crowd gathered around GNob and remembering what his Hollywood PR firm told him about his image repair he did a very phony aboutface move over towards Gnob.
Kind of like the 34-46 1st year season without Shaq. Rememeber when he was catching criticism for what a selfish player he was. He then went on to so overdo it when a teamate did well, rubbing their head and putting on the big act. Ditto here. Face shows nothing but self concern.

You Kobe apologists are gagging.

mardigan
01-30-2007, 02:15 PM
Or a foul call during the game would have been more than fine

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
01-30-2007, 02:15 PM
The suspension is probably just a message to Kobe to watch himself. Anyone remember a few years back in a playoff game i believe, Kobe thought he was fouled and swung his arms in frustration and hit Tim Duncan in the face?

Kori Ellis
01-30-2007, 02:16 PM
no need for retraction. Kobmes 1st reacton definitely was "immediately strode briskly down the court, leaving Manu on the floor, looking very smugly self-satisfied and unconcerned about Manu's condition."

Upon seeing the crowd gathered around GNob and remembering what his Hollywood PR firm told him about his image repair he did a very phony aboutface move over towards Gnob.
Kind of like the 34-46 1st year season without Shaq. Rememeber when he was catching criticism for what a selfish player he was. He then went on to so overdo it when a teamate did well, rubbing their head and putting on the big act. Ditto here. Face shows nothing but self concern.

:sleep Your posts get more and more annoying by the minute.

mardigan
01-30-2007, 02:17 PM

Or the fact that he is a huge Manu fan couldnt have had anything to do with it either right? Im not trying to defend Kobe, if that had been any player that had done that I wouldnt have thought it warrented a suspension, so gag yourself

mardigan
01-30-2007, 02:17 PM
:sleep Your posts get more and more annoying by the minute.
Annoying or ignorant, Im not sure which

TheNextGen
01-30-2007, 02:18 PM
Now that this type of incident has been set...im a bit worried about Bowen, Manu and Tim. We are definately the last team in the NBA who would think that Kobe would warrant such a suspension.

itzsoweezee
01-30-2007, 02:19 PM
Who is getting upset? Its a discussion about a foul that wasnt called. Pathetic is not understanding how there can be two sides to an argument, no one is saying they love Kobe, just discussing the future of suspensions like this one

are you serious? look through these posts. these so-called spurs fans are furious. usually, this type of anger is directed at tony parker or beno udrih.

LakeShow
Annoying or ignorant, Im not sure which

Both!

Taco

Would the NBA consider the Flailing of the arm's trying to draw a foul as a from of Flopping?

Aren't they trying to cut down on Flopping?

spurschick
01-30-2007, 02:20 PM

:wtf Perhaps I'm not interpreting this correctly, but is Jackson saying that Kobe, or any other "premier" player, is above being suspended or fined?

diego
01-30-2007, 02:20 PM
i think the nba should take into account what the "victim" says. manu wasnt upset so why is the NBA? more than a fine doesnt make sense

ChumpDumper
01-30-2007, 02:22 PM
:wtf Perhaps I'm not interpreting this correctly, but is Jackson saying that Kobe, or any other "premier" player, is above being suspended or fined?I don't see how it could be interpreted any other way. He should stick to talking about the actual incident, not demanding special treatment for certain players.

angel_luv
01-30-2007, 02:22 PM
:wtf Perhaps I'm not interpreting this correctly, but is Jackson saying that Kobe, or any other "premier" player, is above being suspended or fined?

That was how I understood it.

JPB
01-30-2007, 02:23 PM

Yes, Kobe didn't even take a look at Manu to see if he was fine or to apologize. He was just pissed Manu blocked him.

I'm surprised people are surprised. My first reaction after the punch was Kobe would probably be suspended for that.

If you move your arm very fast like that, at that height, you have a lot of chances to hit someone hard, intentionnaly or not. That was a dangerous move.

And BTW, the game was not over, it should have been an offensive foul.

spurschick
I don't see how it could be interpreted any other way. He should stick to talking about the actual incident, not demanding special treatment for certain players.

Yeah, this incident aside, it's kind of a stupid comment for him to make.

VaSpursFan
a foul should have been called in the game or a fine. a suspension is over the top and in the spirit of full disclosure, i wish Stu would issue some kind of statement saying how he got to this conclusion. all NBA players should be worried about the precedent this sets.

ChumpDumper
i think the nba should take into account what the "victim" says. manu wasnt upset so why is the NBA? more than a fine doesnt make senseSo if Manu was really upset, Kobe should be suspended five games?

DubMcDub
01-30-2007, 02:24 PM
What the hell?

I've always found you to be one of the most reasonable posters on the board, but I just wanted to say that I'm impressed by this post. Props to you.

whottt
01-30-2007, 02:26 PM
are you serious? look through these posts. these so-called spurs fans are furious. usually, this type of anger is directed at tony parker or beno udrih.

When was the last time Parker or Beno were given a lameass suspension? Spurs players have been getting ripped for sucking...not for being lamely suspended.

It's a lame suspension, it's one of the lamest suspensions I've ever seen.

And it benefits us in no way...

You know what would have benefitted us? Calling a foul on the play...calling a foul when Kobe fouled Horry on the 3...he'll even a tech for taunting. But a suspension for an inadvertant elbow to the face? It's lame and I don't really understand what the NBA is trying to prove here. I guess no more inadvertant elbows...which is going to bite Manu in the ass as much as it does anyone else.

Fabbs
01-30-2007, 02:27 PM
a foul should have been called in the game or a fine. a suspension is over the top and in the spirit of full disclosure, i wish Stu would issue some kind of statement saying how he got to this conclusion. all NBA players should be worried about the precedent this sets.
Kori posted it and i would support the same action had GNob did the same cheapshot to Kobme. Glad its being enforced and yes of course it should have been a foul and GNob (or other Spur) at the ft line for the win.

Here's the rule:

Officials have been instructed to eject a player who throws a punch, whether or not it connects, or an elbow which makes contact above shoulder level. If elbow contact is shoulder level or below, it shall be left to the discretion of the official as to whether the player is ejected. Even if a punch or an elbow goes undetected by the officials during the game, but is detected during a review of a videotape, that player will be penalized.

ManuTastic
Its probably going to be a deterant for players flailing around trying too draw fouls, hopefully it will work.

That's my take. And if that's the intent, it's a good one. All that flailing around looking for any kind of bullshit contact in an attempt to draw a "foul" is just crap. Time to see that go away too.

Suspending Kobe just shows they're serious. He's high profile and everyone will get the message.

Purple & Gold
Well I'm glad to see that many of the Spurs fans are not blind homers, like I previously thought. It is harsh (I don't think it was intentional hit), but I have no problem with a one game suspension as long as the NBA is going to be consistent. And the NBA needs to now be consistent with these type of calls.

Kori Ellis
01-30-2007, 02:28 PM
But a suspension for an inadvertant elbow to the face? It's lame and I don't really understand what the NBA is trying to prove here. I guess no more inadvertant elbows...which is going to bite Manu in the ass as much as it does anyone else.

I'm not even sure it was a real elbow, more like a forearm. But I completely agree with this sentiment. If this is a precedent suspension, then Manu and Bruce are going to need to be a lot more careful :lol

angel_luv
01-30-2007, 02:28 PM
I would like to hear what our guys- specifically Gino and Timmy- think about the suspension.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
01-30-2007, 02:29 PM
Basically, it was an inadvertant.... but it could of been avoided. I think that is the point the league is trying to get across

timvp
Pop is going to be mad about the suspension.

Book it.

:hat

Purple & Gold
He's making a general comment, not just about this incident. He believes that Kobe doesn't get the "superstar" call. A usual Phil Jackson dig to the higher ups in the NBA.

Spurminator
01-30-2007, 02:31 PM
Pretty ridiculous. I would have been surprised with even a fine, but a suspension is ludicrous.

A foul should have been called on Kobe, and maybe that's a positive that can come from this - refs may be more inclined to look for this kind of wreckless flailing on cleanly stripped/blocked shots. But it seems a bit extreme to suspend Kobe for doing something that has become a part of the game due to the NBA's failure to address it years ago.

ChumpDumper
He believes that Kobe doesn't get the "superstar" call.He wants superstar calls for Kobe and is disappointed he doesn't get them.

BLACKMAMBA24
Lakers 105 knicks 95 Odom triple-doubles ala pheonix on halloween

Big P
I am gald he was suspended. Looking at the replay, he knows he gets stuffed, then he flails his arm back ridiculously hard, knowing that he is going to hit whoever blocked his ass. People complain about Manu flopping, & I agree that sometimes it goes overboard, but to me this is the same type of situation, he got blocked cleanly(trying to draw a phantom foul, like a flop(which I'm not saying is right), but the difference between flopping & this is, the players that flop put their bodies on the line, not try to take out the the other player), he tries to make a motion like he was hacked, the refs saw it was a clean block & there was no reason for him to swing his arm back like that. If he didn't mean to hit him the least he could have done was check to see how bad it was, but no he just walks down the court pissed off.

IMO Pop & Manu said the right thing, that it wasn't on purpose, but what is the league & other teams going to think if Pop & Manu came out & started crying about how Kobe should be suspended..they would look like whiners..now its on the league, not the Spurs.

Mixability
so Manu and Pop disagree with the suspension?

angel_luv
01-30-2007, 02:34 PM
Yea- anyone have quotes?

Laker4ever
01-30-2007, 02:36 PM
Yes, Kobe didn't even take a look at Manu to see if he was fine or to apologize. He was just pissed Manu blocked him.

I'm surprised people are surprised. My first reaction after the punch was Kobe would probably be suspended for that.

If you move your arm very fast like that, at that height, you have a lot of chances to hit someone hard, intentionnaly or not. That was a dangerous move.

And BTW, the game was not over, it should have been an offensive foul.

I was at the game.I saw Kobe walking away initially probably didn't know it was as serious as it was.Then he looked back and he saw a group of Spurs around Manu and walked back to see if he was alright.After Manu got up Kobe tapped him on the head and walked to the Lakers bench.

Kori Ellis
01-30-2007, 02:36 PM
Yea- anyone have quotes?

I don't think they've commented yet since the suspension. But they both said it wasn't intentional in postgame.

Kori Ellis
01-30-2007, 02:37 PM
I was at the game.I saw Kobe walking away initially probably didn't know it was as serious as it was.Then he looked back and he saw a group of Spurs around Manu and walked back to see if he was alright.After Manu got up Kobe tapped him on the head and walked to the Lakers bench.

And then afterward, he asked Tim if Manu was okay (when Manu didn't start the OT). And then when Manu came in, he asked if he was okay.

I think it was obvious he was concerned.

Budkin
01-30-2007, 02:38 PM
What the hell?

Unfortunately we didn't benefit from this at all. But it is a weak suspension. How come Malone never got suspended for his elbows?

angel_luv
01-30-2007, 02:39 PM
I don't think they've commented yet since the suspension. But they both said it wasn't intentional in postgame.

Gino would know. I'll take his word for it.

whottt
01-30-2007, 02:39 PM
]. All that flailing around looking for any kind of bullshit contact in an attempt to draw a "foul" is just crap. Time to see that go away too.

Congrats Manutastic...you evidentally want to see about 50% of Manu's game go away...

Pistons < Spurs
01-30-2007, 02:40 PM
People complain about Manu flopping, & I agree that sometimes it goes overboard, but to me this is the same type of situation, he got blocked cleanly(trying to draw a phantom foul, like a flop(which I'm not saying is right), but the difference between flopping & this is, the players that flop put their bodies on the line, not try to take out the the other player), he tries to make a motion like he was hacked, the refs saw it was a clean block & there was no reason for him to swing his arm back like that.

I essentially agree with you. I hate when offensive players try to get an undeserved whistle, instead of just playing the game. I too think this tactic is much like the flop.......

But, that type of play happens in every single NBA game. And never is a player suspended. If they want to crack down on it like they're going to do with flopping next year, fine. Make a rule change. But you can't just all of a sudden suspend a player for something that is done on a regular basis by 70% of the NBA.

If he didn't mean to hit him the least he could have done was check to see how bad it was, but no he just walks down the court pissed off.

And Kobe did go over to Manu to see if he was OK.

spurschick
01-30-2007, 02:41 PM
Obviously, the league felt the need to send some kind of message but, in the end, it's really between Kobe and Manu and they appear to be fine.

Medvedenko
01-30-2007, 02:42 PM
Kobe is pissed....I feel sorry for Boston on Wednesday....

JPB
01-30-2007, 02:53 PM

I don't want to be involved in controversy but if your arm hit someone's face that hard, you can expect, and you must feel, that the guy will hurt.

My first reaction, supposing I care, would be to come close to him, take informations, ask him if he's fine. Not walk away first, and then walk back when everybody seems concerned.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-30-2007, 02:57 PM
I am gald he was suspended. Looking at the replay, he knows he gets stuffed, then he flails his arm back ridiculously hard, knowing that he is going to hit whoever blocked his ass. People complain about Manu flopping, & I agree that sometimes it goes overboard, but to me this is the same type of situation, he got blocked cleanly(trying to draw a phantom foul, like a flop(which I'm not saying is right), but the difference between flopping & this is, the players that flop put their bodies on the line, not try to take out the the other player), he tries to make a motion like he was hacked, the refs saw it was a clean block & there was no reason for him to swing his arm back like that. If he didn't mean to hit him the least he could have done was check to see how bad it was, but no he just walks down the court pissed off.

IMO Pop & Manu said the right thing, that it wasn't on purpose, but what is the league & other teams going to think if Pop & Manu came out & started crying about how Kobe should be suspended..they would look like whiners..now its on the league, not the Spurs.i couldn't agree any more with you.

MmP
01-30-2007, 02:57 PM
I just don't know how can you be "trying to draw a foul" by swinging your arm to the face of a player.

Mixability
01-30-2007, 03:02 PM
i didn't see the postgame interviews with Pop/Manu saying it was an accident, link?

Viva Las Espuelas
01-30-2007, 03:04 PM
I just don't know how can you be "trying to draw a foul" by swinging your arm to the face of a player.especially when they're behind you and you have to swing your arms more than 90 degress to "draw a foul".

Kori Ellis
01-30-2007, 03:06 PM
i didn't see the postgame interviews with Pop/Manu saying it was an accident, link?

I don't have a link of the actual interviews. Here's the Express-News ..

Neither Ginobili nor Popovich thought Bryant's elbow was intentional.

"It's probably just a natural movement for a shooter coming down," Popovich said. "I doubt Kobe would do that. That's not his style."

Mixability
01-30-2007, 03:12 PM
San Antonio Express News

January 30, 2007
Johnny Ludden: Bryant suspended for hitting Ginobili in face
The NBA suspended Kobe Bryant for tonight's game in New York for hitting Manu Ginobili in the face at the end of Sunday's fourth quarter.

Ginobili had just blocked Bryant's shot when Bryant swung his right arm back and caught Ginobili flush in the face and nose. Ginobili missed most of the first three minutes of overtime while being examined on the bench.

After the game, Ginobili and Spurs coach Gregg Popovich both said they thought Bryant didn't intend to hit Ginobili. No foul was called on the play.

The league has strict rules about above-the-neck contact.

mardigan
01-30-2007, 03:13 PM
They are about to run a piece about it on outside the lines, on espn

Fabbs
01-30-2007, 03:15 PM
During the game, ABC-espn-KobeTV showed two close up replays, but the only one posted now is the accross the court grainly lense one. :elephant
So far.

Still shots any of you geeks who dvd'd? Kori is that a go?

Laker4ever
01-30-2007, 03:21 PM
I don't want to be involved in controversy but if your arm hit someone's face that hard, you can expect, and you must feel, that the guy will hurt.

My first reaction, supposing I care, would be to come close to him, take informations, ask him if he's fine. Not walk away first, and then walk back when everybody seems concerned.

Seriously? Is this the NBA or WNBA? You are playing a heated game and adrenaline is flowing.I doubt Kobe even felt he smacked him that hard (since taking the last shot probably had his juices flowing) hence he walked away initially. If you want to work for Hallamark thats great but take informations? Point is he did ask if he was ok whether he intially walked away or not. I have read a little bit of the Spurs fans posts and I would agree that most of you are informed ,intelligent and level headed posters.You sir or mam are overreacting.

mardigan
01-30-2007, 03:22 PM
Kobe seemed absolutely shocked in the video they just ran

TheNextGen
01-30-2007, 03:22 PM
My buddy told me Kobe was just on AM570 here in LA. Kobe said he text Bowen this morning and Bowen was also shocked. Kobe and the Lakers are trying to appeal it. The spurs do not agree with this ruling and this kind of suspension can change the NBA drastically.

ABDENOUR POWER
01-30-2007, 03:24 PM
Sorry, but this is a pretty lame suspension.

For an unintentional elbow during the course of a game, Kobe is getting the same punishment as KG - someone who started a fight, threw a ball at a player, and then tried to throw a punch.

Doesn't really make sense to me.

cheguevara
01-30-2007, 03:25 PM
I've seen suspensions for less than that. Kobe needs to get his crybaby ass over it and move on.

Laker4ever
01-30-2007, 03:26 PM
I just don't know how can you be "trying to draw a foul" by swinging your arm to the face of a player.

Once again check my post a couple of pages back.Look at the Lakers Utah game on youtube.Look at how kobe flailed his arms to the side to get a foul called and the refs called it as ridiculous as that seems.Manu jumped and Kobe flailed his arms.Instead of Kobe making contact with Manus arms or hand he instead made contact with his face since Manu was right up there with him.

LakeShow
01-30-2007, 03:26 PM
My buddy told me Kobe was just on AM570 here in LA. Kobe said he text Bowen this morning and Bowen was also shocked. Kobe and the Lakers are trying to appeal it. The spurs do not agree with this ruling and this kind of suspension can change the NBA drastically.

Kobe suspended tonight vs. KnicksBy Chris Sheridan
ESPN.com

Kobe Bryant was so stunned and angered by his one-game suspension, he took the extraordinary step Tuesday of asking NBA commissioner David Stern to convene an immediate appeal hearing.

"I'm blown away by it. It makes no sense."
-- Kobe Bryant on his suspension
As of 3 p.m. ET, the NBA Players Association was still awaiting a response from the league office.

Bryant was staying at the Lakers' team hotel just a few blocks from NBA headquarters in Manhattan, and he was on call to dash down Fifth Avenue to Stern's office if the request was granted. But barring the unlikeliest turn of events, Bryant was officially banned from Madison Square Garden for the Los Angeles' Lakers only visit of the season to play the Knicks.

The suspension, for elbowing Manu Ginobili of the Spurs while Bryant was attempting a jump shot late in the Lakers' game against the Spurs on Sunday, caught Bryant completely off-guard.

"I haven't seen a precedence for this. There's unintentional elbows that take place in a game all the time," Bryant told reporters at Madison Square Garden following the Lakers' shootaround. "I'm blown away by it. It makes no sense."

The NBA news release announcing the suspension said Bryant was being penalized for "striking" Ginobili, but there was no further explanation given in regards to whether league vice president Stu Jackson felt the contact was intentional.

Players association officials said it was highly unusual, if not unprecedented, for a player to be suspended for inadvertent contact.

"We're asking for an immediate hearing, and given Kobe's availability in New York, he's offered to meet with the commissioner or appropriate league officials to review the tape and explain what happened," union spokesman Dan Wasserman said. "Kobe can be at the league office on literally 10 to 15 minutes notice."

Chris Sheridan covers the NBA for ESPN Insider.

Fabbs
01-30-2007, 03:27 PM
Seriously? Is this the NBA or WNBA? You are playing a heated game and adrenaline is flowing.I doubt Kobe even felt he smacked him that hard (since taking the last shot probably had his juices flowing) hence he walked away initially. If you want to work for Hallamark thats great but take informations? Point is he did ask if he was ok whether he intially walked away or not. I have read a little bit of the Spurs fans posts and I would agree that most of you are informed ,intelligent and level headed posters.You sir or mam are overreacting.
The Hallmark moment is Kobes walking over and you swallowing it all.

AFBlue
01-30-2007, 03:28 PM

Kobe Bryant was so stunned and angered by his one-game suspension, he took the extraordinary step Tuesday of asking NBA commissioner David Stern to convene an immediate appeal hearing.

Fabbs
Sorry, but this is a pretty lame suspension.

For an unintentional elbow during the course of a game, Kobe is getting the same punishment as KG - someone who started a fight, threw a ball at a player, and then tried to throw a punch.

Doesn't really make sense to me.
Given the Malice at the Palace, makes more sense to increase KGs suspension rather then diss the one given premier player Kobme.

Winnipeg_Spur
Kind of a weak suspension, but I'd love to hear Kobe argue his point.

"I swear I wasn't trying to hit Ginobili, I was just trying to get the refs to call a foul when there was no contact."

mardigan
01-30-2007, 03:30 PM
The Hallmark moment is Kobes walking over and you swallowing it all.
So your a mindreader or what?

slayermin
01-30-2007, 03:31 PM
I think it was intentional. So I don't have a problem with the suspension. Fuk Kobe!

ponky
01-30-2007, 03:32 PM
ridiculous, this is turning into such a namby-pamby league.

Mixability
01-30-2007, 03:33 PM
I'll add to the fire:

I know Kobe pumpfaked Bowen out of the way, but maybe he was bracing himself before he twisted his ankle on what he thought was Bowen's foot. :spin

Pistons < Spurs
01-30-2007, 03:35 PM
I'll add to the fire:

I know Kobe pumpfaked Bowen out of the way, but maybe he was bracing himself before he twisted his ankle on what he thought was Bowen's foot. :spin
LMAO! :lol

Mixability
01-30-2007, 03:35 PM

Good thing Kobe didn't text Manu, because if Manu had his phone on vibrate, he might flop himself into a coma.

ChumpDumper
01-30-2007, 03:37 PM
196 users?

153 guests? sign up peoplelakerlurkers

Mixability
lakerlurkers

must be, cause there's a link on clublakers.com

Laker4ever
Good thing Kobe didn't text Manu, because if Manu had his phone on vibrate, he might flop himself into a coma.

Funniest thing I've read today :lol

ponky
01-30-2007, 03:38 PM
Next thing you know, Tim Duncan is going to get poked in the eye and the defender is going to get suspended because it was a blow to the head. If you are going to suspend Kobe here, you might as well suspend whoever that was who elbowed Barry in the face a couple games back.

Nah, Dwight Howard didn't get suspended for poking Ilgauskas in the eye...or did he? BTW, guys need to trim their nails, lol.

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20070123/capt.ohmd10901230300.magic_cavaliers_basketball_oh md109.jpg

NuGGeTs-FaN
01-30-2007, 03:39 PM
more signs of this league being a joke. Kobe gets 1 game for an accident and KG gets 1 game for pushing, throwing a punch and throwing a ball at someone.

This didnt deserve a suspension

LO77
01-30-2007, 04:19 PM
Some of y'all can't be serious. You're acting like Manu hasn't slapped his fair share of people with elbows or whatever he can...or threw his arms out to get fouls. He's pretty much the only player I've seen that can smack a player in the face when he's going up for a layup and get an and 1. If the league goes this route you'll be lucky to see Manu for 6 games a year.

Anyways, it was a bogus move to suspend him for accidental contact. It would be like Manu throwing his body into a big man to draw a foul and accidentally smacking him in the face as he was trying to brace his fall and getting suspended. There's no way you can suspend players for trying to draw a foul and hitting another player accidentally.

resistanze
01-30-2007, 04:22 PM
Thank god this precedent came after Bowen's foot incident with Steve Francis, apparently they woulda thrown his ass out of the league :lol

2Cleva
01-30-2007, 04:23 PM
At first, I hated the call but oh well. Then seeing Kobe and Phil's complaints I decided to check the replay.

Now, let me get this straight. Stu thinks Kobe took a shot, got it blocked, intentionally hit Ginobili with an elbow, and got the ball back to take another shot all in about 1.5 seconds.

That shit is impressive. Even Neo would have to say "Whoa".

Spurminator
01-30-2007, 04:27 PM
Now, let me get this straight. Stu thinks Kobe took a shot, got it blocked, intentionally hit Ginobili with an elbow, and got the ball back to take another shot all in about 1.5
seconds.

That shit is impressive. Even Neo would have to say "Whoa".

Cry us a river.

http://img.search.com/thumb/e/ed/DFisherwinner.jpg/275px-DFisherwinner.jpg

;)

2Cleva
01-30-2007, 04:30 PM
LOL.

This isn't about fandom. I believe Kobe was reckless in waving his arms, just like Bowen is reckless in his defense in why he goes underneath people, just like Malone was reckless for going after the ball.

I don't think any of that warrants suspension.

LuvBones
01-30-2007, 04:33 PM
It looked pretty intentional to me. There was no reason for him to throw his arms out like that after the shot.. I'm surprised to see so many disagree. Yeah, others have done the same but it doesn't mean it's alright. I'm glad Kobe received a suspension for that.

Phenomanul
01-30-2007, 04:34 PM
It's more like this suspension is a joke and I'd hate to see it become common place...if it does you can expect Manu and Duncan to start getting about 15-20 suspensions per year. And just about every other great scorer in the league as well.

If Kobe had been intentionally trying to hit him in the face and hurt him it'd be one thing...but he clearly wasn't. And say what you want but he's never been that kind of a player, no matter how much of an arrogant ball hogging horses ass he can be otherwise. Two things you can't accuse Kobe of being, a cheap player, or a whiner.

Believe me there are no shortage of those types of players in the league and if Kobe were one of them I'd be only too happy to put him on the list.

This is ridiculous...Kobe has had Bowen crawling up his ass for about 7 years now and he's never once taken a cheap shot or whined about it...yes, even Kobe deserves better than he got on this one...and so do the rest of the scorers in the NBA.

Good take.... although I don't agree that Manu elbows are the most feared in the league.... that honor would belong to Mutombo...

DDS4
01-30-2007, 04:35 PM
Small fine yes. Suspension no.

Karl Malone made a career out of swinging his elbows out when his shot was blocked. He never got suspended for that.

T-Pain
01-30-2007, 04:35 PM
Maybe it will keep players from overreacting trying to draw a foul
a step towards outlawing "flopping" or fake fouls?

i dont think it warranted a suspension either, but maybe a $5,000-$10,000 fine woulda done it for me.

leemajors
01-30-2007, 04:39 PM
Small fine yes. Suspension no.

Karl Malone made a career out of swinging his elbows out when his shot was blocked. He never got suspended for that.

i agree, but it's a different league now

Please_dont_ban_me
01-30-2007, 04:40 PM
Wasn't the Malone-Drob situation similar to this?

There wasn't even a foul on the play, and the guy got suspended afterwards. Granted Ginobilli was still CONCIOUS.

td4mvp21
01-30-2007, 04:44 PM
:lmao Stern fucking sucks. I think that was intentional, but no way in HELL does that deserve a suspension. That's just Kobe being Kobe. Fuck Stern, he's creating a league for wussies. I love Ginobili and all, and I was pissed when Kobe did that, but a suspension is a little too much. Should have just been called a foul or something.

Burn531
01-30-2007, 04:45 PM
I wonder if Lebron or Wade would've got suspended for something like this.

nkdlunch
Kobe is a bitch, what's new?

diego
So if Manu was really upset, Kobe should be suspended five games?

ok, point taken. rules are rules, and it shouldnt matter how the victim reacts. but as others have said these incidents are common and manu absolved kobe of any blame minutes after the game ended. therefore it is rather odd that the league decided a suspension was in order.

Fillmoe
01-30-2007, 04:47 PM
WOW! that shit right there did not deserve a suspension.... like i always say.... NBA = PUSSY LEAGUE! might as well change the name to WNBA

2Cleva
01-30-2007, 04:48 PM
How many people have seen this since Sunday? Try watching it again without the emotion of the game tied to it.

[link removed]

Check it out. At the 10 sec mark, Kobe realizes the bench is going towards Ginobili, and turns around and joins the huddle to see if he's OK - even patting him on the head.

Is that the actions of an intentional elbow?

Tek_XX
01-30-2007, 04:49 PM
Good call by the league. Kobes bitch ass thinks he can get away with anything in this league maybe this will correct that.

cheguevara
01-30-2007, 04:50 PM
How many people have seen this since Sunday? Try watching it again without the emotion of the game tied to it.

[link removed]

Check it out. At the 10 sec mark, Kobe realizes the bench is going towards Ginobili, and turns around and joins the huddle to see if he's OK - even patting him on the head.

what the fuck does that have to do w/it?

so if I punch u in the face, and then come back to pat you in the back and ask u if you're ok. I didn't do it intentionally?

Kori Ellis
01-30-2007, 04:51 PM

[link removed]

Most people here are in agreement that it wasn't meant to hurt Manu and that Kobe seemed concerned and asked repeatedly about his well being.

mikejones99
01-30-2007, 04:52 PM
Dam there sure is alot of blind and stupid Spurs fans in here. Kobe's hit was as bad as any in the last 5 years. Look at manu's face again if you doubt it. Some other players would have beat Kobe's ass and started a brawl for that.

hitmanyr2k
01-30-2007, 04:52 PM
ok, point taken. rules are rules, and it shouldnt matter how the victim reacts. but as others have said these incidents are common and manu absolved kobe of any blame minutes after the game ended. therefore it is rather odd that the league decided a suspension was in order.

It's clear. The league is tired of Kobe flopping in the air, flailing like a bitch and yelling "HEY" to get free throws. Make an example of one of their stars and the rest will fall in line :lol :lol

Medvedenko
01-30-2007, 04:53 PM
I remember Shaq abusing Dikembe with his elbows and shoulders on almost every play in the finals years ago...no suspension and no fouls....This is pure consipiracy against Kobe....nothing more than that.

TheNextGen
01-30-2007, 04:54 PM
A suspension for accidental contact....the league is in trouble.

Tek_XX
01-30-2007, 04:55 PM
I remember Shaq abusing Dikembe with his elbows and shoulders on almost every play in the finals years ago...no suspension and no fouls....This is pure consipiracy against Kobe....nothing more than that.

It's a good consipiracy. suspend that bitch.

ChumpDumper
01-30-2007, 04:55 PM
This is pure consipiracy against Kobe....nothing more than that.Yeah, the league hates Kobe. So does Disney and Turner. And Nike. All of 'em.

Tek_XX
01-30-2007, 04:56 PM
A suspension for accidental contact....the league is in trouble.

A suspension for carelessness and a harsh foul.

VaSpursFan
01-30-2007, 04:56 PM
It's clear. The league is tired of Kobe flopping in the air, flailing like a bitch and yelling "HEY" to get free throws. Make an example of one of their stars and the rest will fall in line :lol :lol

:lol :lol :lol HEY :lol :lol :lol

Rydia
01-30-2007, 04:57 PM

I think the fact that they were both in the air, Kobe made contact to the face and head were factors that caused a suspension.

You should NEVER hit someone in the face or neck. I am just glad that Manu is ok.

For all you LOSERS who think Manu was flopping, I think he has enough blood to show he wasn't this time. Manu flops...get over it. If the ref calls it it's your problem not ours!

TheNextGen
01-30-2007, 04:58 PM
It's a good consipiracy. suspend that bitch.

haha ive only been in this forum for about 2 weeks...and its easy to realize which posters actually have meret when posting.

Kori Ellis
01-30-2007, 05:00 PM

For all you LOSERS who think Manu was flopping, I think he has enough blood to show he wasn't this time. Manu flops...get over it. If the ref calls it it's your problem not ours!

Did anyone in this thread say Manu was flopping?

2Cleva
01-30-2007, 05:00 PM

[link removed]

Ahh. Sorry about the link violation, mods. I didn't get the memo.

Tek_XX
01-30-2007, 05:01 PM
haha ive only been in this forum for about 2 weeks...and its easy to realize which posters actually have meret when posting.

Why thank you good sir

hitmanyr2k
01-30-2007, 05:02 PM
:lol :lol :lol HEY :lol :lol :lol

You're joking but I'm half serious lol. Kobe did the same shit to Dirk last year. Anyone remember him flailing and giving Dirk a black eye with one of his "accidental" swings to the face? The league is cracking down on his dumbass antics. I can't believe people are making excuses for him.

TheNextGen
01-30-2007, 05:02 PM
heres a good question:

If Kobe got suspended because Stern thought it was intentional...would he be suspended if he missed Ginobli?

Medvedenko
01-30-2007, 05:03 PM
If kobe's flailing arm never connected than we would have no discussion period. If he feigned punching someone...he'd get at minimum 1 game. Pure BS.

Tek_XX
01-30-2007, 05:03 PM
heres a good question:

If Kobe got suspended because Stern thought it was intentional...would he be suspended if he missed Ginobli?

If he didn't hit manu's head then no there would be no suspension.

ShoogarBear
01-30-2007, 05:08 PM
If he didn't hit manu's head then no there would be no suspension.You don't have to make contact to get suspended.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
01-30-2007, 05:10 PM
Unintentional elbows drawing suspensions? Has the league office watched Shaq at all in the last ten years? How about any big man going up for a rebound?

It's laughable and par for the course.

Medvedenko
01-30-2007, 05:11 PM
Look at it this way....Say Kobe gets in the lane and dunks on a guy and hits him hard to the ground....does he get suspended. Obviously, he initiated contact....no he doesn't. How many times does a guy go up in the lane and nails someone and bangs into people with reckless abandon...what happens, a foul or nothing. Like I said...pure BS.

TheNextGen
01-30-2007, 05:12 PM
If he didn't hit manu's head then no there would be no suspension.

So in that proves there was no intent. When a player throws a punch, they would be suspended regardless if it missed or hit.

whottt
01-30-2007, 05:12 PM
Good take.... although I don't agree that Manu elbows are the most feared in the league.... that honor would belong to Mutombo...

Most feared maybe...but Manu's are on offense and guys that are hitting him physically usually get some kind of instant karmic payback. With regularity. Ask Buckner, Artest, K-Mart and Raja Bell...hell I think one of his kneecaps has knocked Kobe out of a game before.

I am interested in seeing Pop's reaction to this as well...if I were Pop I'd be shitting a gold brick over the prospect of this sort of play being suspension worthy.

Tek_XX
01-30-2007, 05:13 PM
You don't have to make contact to get suspended.

Getting carelessly nailed in the head is key to this suspension so i would say if Manu didn't get hit Kobe wouldn't be suspended.

dg7md
01-30-2007, 05:13 PM
It wasn't intentional, I think he was even trying to see if Manu was alright.