View Full Version : The Pop Show Today

Kori Ellis
01-30-2007, 04:46 PM
http://www.ticket760.com

Click Listen Live.

I believe it starts at 4pm.

Kori Ellis
01-30-2007, 04:58 PM
It's starting right after the commercial break.

Solid D
01-30-2007, 05:07 PM
Thanks! It's on now.

Mixability
01-30-2007, 05:09 PM
the suspension was appropriate - Pop

Kori Ellis
01-30-2007, 05:09 PM
Pop said he thought the suspension was appropriate because it was to the head and that's what the league is cracking down on. The league is looking at everything very closely above the neck.

Pistons < Spurs
01-30-2007, 05:11 PM
"You're not Mike Wallace"

LMAO @ Pop!

such a politician. Can't give a yes or no answer!

Kori Ellis
He said the league can't determine intent and neither can anyone else. That it doesn't matter about the intent because it was only about it being a hit to the head.

Now, Pop is busting Don Harris' balls about grilling him too much.

Medvedenko
There it is....Pop complained to the league...good work.

timvp
01-30-2007, 05:12 PM
Pop not answering anything :lol

ShoogarBear
01-30-2007, 05:13 PM
Once a Company Man, always a company man.

Kori Ellis
01-30-2007, 05:13 PM
No, he didn't say that. He said that the league reviewed it because it was a blow to the head.

He said no one needs to complain to the league about anything.

Medvedenko
01-30-2007, 05:14 PM
Seriously, I understand sticking up for your players...but his own team has been involved in elbows, karate kicks, scratches, and other questionable plays...what a load of horse shit. I hope we meet the spurs in the playoffs.

Kori Ellis
01-30-2007, 05:15 PM
Seriously, I understand sticking up for your players...but his own team has been involved in elbows, karate kicks, scratches, and other questionable plays...what a load of horse shit. I hope we meet the spurs in the playoffs.

What are you getting riled up about?

Neither Ginobili nor Popovich thought Bryant's elbow was intentional.

"It's probably just a natural movement for a shooter coming down," Popovich said. "I doubt Kobe would do that. That's not his style."

Medvedenko
01-30-2007, 05:15 PM
Kori, Pop is not going to say he put the call in, but I gaurantee he was asked about the incident and never questioned its decision. Sad...but that's your coach.

Medvedenko
01-30-2007, 05:16 PM
I'm getting upset because of the hipocrisy in the League.

Big P
01-30-2007, 05:16 PM

Careful what you wish for. Quit crying about it already, if it was Manu that had hit Kobe you be over here crying about how Manu should be suspended. Suck it up & get over it.

ShoogarBear
01-30-2007, 05:17 PM
Too bad Pop can't be a stand-up guy like Phil Jackson.

Mixability
01-30-2007, 05:17 PM
Calm down already. He said it was an accident, the league is the final decision maker and since it was a blow to the head, a suspension was given. Pop isn't Ray Allen for Christ sakes.

Kori Ellis
01-30-2007, 05:18 PM
Kori, Pop is not going to say he put the call in, but I gaurantee he was asked about the incident and never questioned its decision. Sad...but that's your coach.

He can't really question the decision. The league is supposed to be ejecting or suspending blows to the head.

Winnipeg_Spur
You think Phil is any different?!

Solid D
They just shot around today. Gave Manu a little time to heal. It was a pretty good whack. Anytime it's a hit above the neck, the league usually looks at it. Pop said nobody needed to lobby the league. Don tried to get Pop to connect the league decision to the League's decision on Tim's suspension with the Jack Nees incident. Pop told Don he's (Don is) not Mike Wallace with 60 minutes and asked if Don was going to ask the same question 4 different ways. The League doesn't care what we think, they are going to do what they think they should do and since there was contact, regardless of intent, the League made their decision.

Pop's been getting Fin and Barry to understand their roles. To "catch and shoot, catch and shoot."

Asked if the Lakers game win kick-starts the Spurs from this point on for the RRT. Pop said one would hope but he doesn't think the team necessarily reacts that way. The team doesn't really get super high. Usually, the team goes back to work after a game...it's their job and they don't get too high or too low...just like a Dr. or lawyer they have a job to do.

Medvedenko
01-30-2007, 05:19 PM
What's wrong with you guys...I'm not crying about what happened, I'm upset at the result. If it was Manu who did, there would be no suspension. That's the rub. Oh, and Pop is officially a bitch.

cheguevara
01-30-2007, 05:19 PM
Medvedenko: http://www.ehponline.org/docs/2005/113-2/crybaby.jpg

Kori Ellis
01-30-2007, 05:21 PM
What's wrong with you guys...I'm not crying about what happened, I'm upset at the result. If it was Manu who did, there would be no suspension. That's the rub. Oh, and Pop is officially a bitch.

You wanted him to fight the league on Kobe's behalf? I think Kobe already has that covered - he is appealing. And if rumors are true, the league called Manu and he said it was an accident. I'm not sure how much more you want the Spurs to stand up for Kobe than that :lol

Most Spurs fans disagree with the suspension. But if they are cracking down on blows to the head, they are cracking down on blows to the head. And maybe they used Kobe to set a precedent. Bad for him, but they do what they do.

Man In Black
F U Slava.

Apparently READING COMPREHENSION isn't your strongpoint.

If he was asked about it, that mean that he didn't go to them first. He publicly tried to stand up for your much beleaguered idol but some of you pricks never see that.

ShoogarBear
I'm not crying about what happened, I'm upset at the result.Ooooh, nice try, but not quite sig-worthy.

ChumpDumper
What's wrong with you guys...I'm not crying about what happened, I'm upset at the result. If it was Manu who did, there would be no suspension. That's the rub. Oh, and Pop is officially a bitch.Quit crying, you crying crybaby.

cheguevara
01-30-2007, 05:22 PM
Oh, and Pop is officially a bitch.

the whole lakers team, Jackson and all Faker fans are oficially bitches too. so what?

Medvedenko
01-30-2007, 05:24 PM
Look, I don't want to take the entire *'s nation on this forum. I'm just saying that Pop sticking up for Kobe initially didn't mean squat when in all actuality he was called by the NBA and said the suspension was warranted.

2centsworth
01-30-2007, 05:24 PM
Medvedenko are you taking the place of MikeJones, because you sure sound like it.

Winnipeg_Spur
01-30-2007, 05:25 PM
Kobe gets no respect. He committed two blatant fouls in the last 10 seconds of regulation that were completely ignored by the refs but whatever...

Kobe and Phil are such gentlemen that if they had gotten the victory they would've conceded the victory back to the Spurs in the interest of justice.

ChumpDumper
Look, I don't want to take the entire *'s nation on this forum. I'm just saying that Pop sticking up for Kobe initially didn't mean squat when in all actuality he was called by the NBA and said the suspension was warranted.Pop said it wasn't intentional.

That has nothing to do with the reasoning behind the suspension.

Quit crying.

Kori Ellis
Continuing on the show ... biggest disappointment so far this year is defense. They are sticking with Barry starting over Manu for now.

Kori Ellis
01-30-2007, 05:27 PM
Pop says he voted for Boozer to the All-Star team. (And obviously Nash and Dirk too).

Fabbs
good one ShoogarBear. :lol
And the similiar posters who referenced MedeTrollo.

Mixability
when in all actuality he was called by the NBA and said the suspension was warranted.

In all actuality?

:spin

You know this for sure?

Kori Ellis
01-30-2007, 05:31 PM
Regarding the play at the end of the game - Finley for 3 wasn't the first option. It was the 3rd option.

Solid D
01-30-2007, 05:32 PM
Pop was asked by a caller, other than home record what has been the biggest disappointment for him this season. Pop said our slow evolution to develop defensively as they usually do.

Question regarding emphasis on offensive rebounding versus transition D, but Pop didn't really answer it. He just said it's a good question and they have to balance transition D and staying in to get the boards.

Pop was asked who deserved to be on the All-Star starting roster that didn't make it by the voiting and Pop said he said he voted for Boozer.

Pop sarcastically responded to Walter's question about the b2b against PHX by saying they look forward to b2b 2nd games against PHX. He said they were thinking about walking the ball up every possession (while laughing).

Asked to respond to Eddie Jones being available and if the Spurs gave consideration to Eddie. He said there were "none" but the reasons why they would prefer to keep to themselves.

Pop was asked by a caller about the Finley 3-point play in the Laker game. He said the play was not designed for a 3 but that happens more often than not. He said there were two options before and those were taken away. Timmy got doubled and Timmy made the smart play in passing it out to Fin. Finley didn't have a lot of time.

Medvedenko
01-30-2007, 05:33 PM
Ok, I'll put this to bed. Still a sad day. I hope we meet in the playoffs. Should be a great series. Just make sure Manu wears a helmet and we'll be ok.

ChumpDumper
01-30-2007, 05:35 PM
Just make sure Kobe doesn't have a seizure when he gets his shit stuffed and we'll be ok.

Medvedenko
01-30-2007, 05:37 PM
Hey, the block was good, good for a bench player to come through in the clutch. Maybe the spurs can use him....

Solid D
01-30-2007, 05:38 PM
Ok, I'll put this to bed. Still a sad day. I hope we meet in the playoffs. Should be a great series. Just make sure Manu wears a helmet and we'll be ok.

For what it's worth...One of the Ticket760 radio show hosts said today that someone with the league had called Manu and asked if he thought it was an intentional act by Kobe. Manu told them "no" he didn't think so.

itzsoweezee
01-30-2007, 05:38 PM

i hope so. knocking off the bitch ass fakers, kobe, and jackson would be a great way to start off the playoffs.

ploto
01-30-2007, 05:39 PM
You wanted him to fight the league on Kobe's behalf? I think Kobe already has that covered - he is appealing. And if rumors are true, the league called Manu and he said it was an accident. I'm not sure how much more you want the Spurs to stand up for Kobe than that :lol

That's why I don't like what Pop said because if you asked Manu he would not agree that the suspension was appropriate.

I just think a play like that is far different than a play where someone throws an elbow. That is not what happened at all.

itzsoweezee
01-30-2007, 05:40 PM
Just make sure Manu wears a helmet and we'll be ok.

that's the best part. even after knocking manu out, the lakers still couldn't win it. don't think it'll be any different in the playoffs.

picnroll
Why should Pop care that Kobe got suspended. Rumor has it Isaiah Thomas called the league office.

ChumpDumper
:cry

dg7md
01-30-2007, 05:42 PM

:lol

cheguevara
01-30-2007, 05:42 PM
http://www.nedva.ru/b/crybaby.jpg

whottt
01-30-2007, 05:44 PM
Medvedenky...when Bruce was getting fucked with earlier in the season what did Phil do? He damn sure wasn't coming to our aid, in fact he called Pop out. Or maybe that was about the Larry Brown thing....but he was a dick about something earlier in the year.

Asshole. Hold your own coach to that standard.

The reason you are getting piled on is because you are being a prick about it...they already said it wasn't intentional. I am kinda surprised by Pop's reaction as well, but he hardly ever calls out the refs to the benfit of his own players so I don't know why you automatically assume his comments mean he sent the tape in and complained.

Just about everyone with a brain thinks the suspension was stupid on this forum and Pop probably does too...the fact that he isn't calling out the officiating to benefit your superstar doesn't give you carte blanche to accuse him of being behind it...we got fucked over earlier in the season too about Bowen.

I didn't see many damn threads in support of Bruce Bowen over at your forum. Or from Phil.

Solid D
01-30-2007, 05:48 PM
Isn't Pop's answer usually the same on League decisions? "What we think is irrelevent"..."the League is going to do what it thinks is best". That is a pretty stock answer out of Pop's inventory of response tapes.

Medvedenko
01-30-2007, 05:52 PM
Well said Whott...of course I'm pissed. I was just surprised that POP made those comments. He should gave his stock answers like he does for everything else.

ChumpDumper
01-30-2007, 05:54 PM
Well said Whott...of course I'm pissed. I was just surprised that POP made those comments. He should gave his stock answers like he does for everything else.He did.

Solid D
01-30-2007, 05:55 PM
Well said Whott...of course I'm pissed. I was just surprised that POP made those comments. He should gave his stock answers like he does for everything else.

Pop did say his stock answer. Did you hear the Pop Show?

whottt
01-30-2007, 05:57 PM
That is his stock answer...he never calls the refs out after the game, he never call the league out for stuff...

The only time I have ever seen him do it was earlier in the year for Bruce Bowen, because no one was in Bowen's corner and the league called Bowen directly and ordered him to change his style of play without coming to the Spurs first.

MannyIsGod
01-30-2007, 06:09 PM
Med is pissed because Pop didn't stick up for Kobe? What the fuck? Does he need to tuck him in too?

Medvedenko
01-30-2007, 06:13 PM
Yeah I'm irate...because POP by agreeing with the L, basically agrees that the suspension is deserving. He's a bitch.

lefty
01-30-2007, 06:15 PM

So ur asses get kicked???
:lol

cheguevara
01-30-2007, 06:17 PM
Yeah I'm irate...because POP by agreeing with the L, basically agrees that the suspension is deserving. He's a bitch.

did you forget to take your medication today?

cornbread
01-30-2007, 06:18 PM
Was the entire show about Medvedenko bitching or did they talk about anything worthwhile?

Kori Ellis
01-30-2007, 06:19 PM
Was the entire show about Medvedenko bitching or did they talk about anything worthwhile?

Look for posts by Solid D in this thread, he discusses everything they talked about.

cornbread
01-30-2007, 06:20 PM
Look for posts by Solid D in this thread, he discusses everything they talked about.
Gracias.

Medvedenko
01-30-2007, 06:24 PM
Everytime a guy gets hit in the head is deserving of suspension, intentional or not...deserving. This is our NBA....fuck. Everytime a guy goes into the lane and gets partially blocked, the hand goes down and hits the guy in the head. Suspension...everytime a guy dunks on someone and sends him careening down to the floor...suspension. Welcome to 2007.

Ronaldo McDonald
01-30-2007, 06:32 PM
What are you getting riled up about?

Well, he does have a point. That is if you evaluate Bowens defense without trying to determine intent, but instead outcome, which is basically, from what I've read on here so far, POPs way of rationalizing Kobe Bryants suspension

FromWayDowntown
01-30-2007, 06:36 PM
I agree with Medvedenko.

Besides, everyone knows that superstars should be treated differently than all other players -- Phil Jackson says so.

MrChug
01-30-2007, 06:40 PM

Exactly. Philip is among the most underhanded pieces of shit professional sports has ever seen. He's become a parody of himself. He should run for office. As in LEAGUE FRONT office. :oink

ChumpDumper
01-30-2007, 06:40 PM
That is if you evaluate Bowens defense without trying to determine intent, but instead outcome, which is basically, from what I've read on here so far, POPs way of rationalizing Kobe Bryants suspensionYou aren't reading well at all.

mardigan
01-30-2007, 06:41 PM
He just recently called out Shaq, a player that lead him to 3 championships, sounds like a great guy to me

George Gervin's Afro
01-30-2007, 07:00 PM
what's not to like about phil jackson? he only complains publicly to the media about the officiating during a playoff series.. he only belittles and disrespects other franchises, cities and coaches.. so what's not like?

mardigan
01-30-2007, 07:01 PM
^^^Dont forget former players

FromWayDowntown
01-30-2007, 07:06 PM
I have to say that it amuses me, to some extent, that fans of other teams want to rationalize the behavior of their players by pointing to Bruce Bowen and attempting to argue that Bruce "got away with it."

Mostly, the Szczerbiak kick analogy kills me. I understand that video suggests to some that Bowen was hellbent on kicking Wally in the grill, that he got away with it, and basically faced no consequences for it. Of course, it's rarely mentioned that Bowen was assessed a fine and a flagrant foul for the kick.

More to the point of this conversation, Bowen's kick was dangerous and perhaps should have been penalized more severely. Nevertheless, it is clear that at the time the NBA was not in the business of viewing intentional or inadvertent blows to the head as automatically suspension-worthy. That might have been a bad policy choice on the league's part, but there's no doubt that the choice was enforced consistently at that time.

We're now almost 5 years later in time; since March 1, 2002 -- the date of the Bowen kick -- the league has made clear that it is going to take a much harder line on potentially-dangerous plays and particularly blows above the neck. Had Bowen's incident occurred on Sunday, I have no doubt that he would have been assessed a flagrant 2 and ejected from the game. For crissakes, in Game 1 of the 2003 First Round, Kevin Willis was given a flagrant 2 and ejected for a blow to Scott Williams' head; Willis was also suspended for Game 2 of that series.

Clearly, a play like the one made by Bowen would be viewed very differently in the current atmosphere. But that's understandable -- the league changes the way it enforces rules and the way it penalizes players from time-to-time. Here's one such time. It's asinine to point to things that happened 5 years ago as precedent for how situations should be handled today. It's like comparing the things that are penalized today in the NFL with the things that Dick Butkus or Conrad Dobler once got away with.

And I defy anyone to find me an example (other than the kick) of Bruce Bowen striking a blow to the head of any player without facing at least some consequence for that action.

mardigan
01-30-2007, 07:09 PM
People that bring up the Sczerbiak play forget one thing, no one likes Wally Sczerbiak

smeagol
01-30-2007, 07:38 PM
Way to make a fool of yourself, slava

GrandeDavid
01-30-2007, 07:40 PM

No way Pop would compain to the L. That is absolutely not his style. Plus he likes Kobe, but that's beside the point. Pop is a rugged coach who does not seek style or asskissing points. Trust me. This was reviewed by the L on its on. The hit was obvious, although I don't think Kobe did it with malice. I think Kobe did it with competitive fire but did not want to hurt Manu. Everyone saw the clip on Sportscenter, probably, how could the L front office have missed it? Of course they had to review it!

Don't even try to put this on Pop or the Spurs. They are the most stoic franchise in the NBA and they have much bigger concerns than Kobe's lick on Manu. Did you see the Spurs v. Denver series in the 2005 playoffs? Spurs fans were PISSED at Pop for not complaining about the hits Manu was taking.

GrandeDavid
01-30-2007, 07:49 PM
Look, I don't want to take the entire *'s nation on this forum. I'm just saying that Pop sticking up for Kobe initially didn't mean squat when in all actuality he was called by the NBA and said the suspension was warranted.

Bro, its 2007. If you were a true Lakers fan you'd know that the asterisk was taken out of the Spurs' name with force in the 2003 playoffs when Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Kevin Willis sent Shaq to the bench with over 6 minutes left in the decisive game...in LA. If I recall correctly, the Spurs were up by as much as 30 in that game. So spare the weak asterisk smack, please.

GrandeDavid
01-30-2007, 07:56 PM
That's why I don't like what Pop said because if you asked Manu he would not agree that the suspension was appropriate.

I just think a play like that is far different than a play where someone throws an elbow. That is not what happened at all.

I think Pop was saying that the suspension was consistent with league rules. Manu is a player, and I assume that the professionals have each others' backs. I think that Manu knows that Kobe is not a dirty player. But these guys are not robots. Pop is a coach and his point of view is different than Manu's. The argument that Pop called the league is still a big time reach. That is simply not his style. Merely stating his opinion on the outcome, hence, the suspension, is not condemning of him. I find it very, very, VERY hard to believe that Pop, of ALL coaches, would call the league.

Bottom line is an elbow connected to a head. Period. End of story. Did you see Manu's face? I think this testifies to the fact that the league wants to minimalize hard contact to players' faces, intentional or not.

aaronstampler
01-30-2007, 08:20 PM
Manu doesn't want to seem like a punk, so he'll never call a guy out no matter what. In '05 after Carmelo was ejected late in Game 4 for elbowing him in the head and it was blatant as hell he said he didn't think that one was on purpose either. He said Artest's wasn't on purpose last year. A guy could punch him right in the face and he won't say anything, he'll just get revenge on the court.

Ronaldo McDonald
01-30-2007, 08:29 PM
You aren't reading well at all.

Kori said that POP said something like this:

"He said the league can't determine intent and neither can anyone else. That it doesn't matter about the intent because it was only about it being a hit to the head."

What am I not reading correctly?

:wtf

ChumpDumper
01-30-2007, 08:32 PM
Perhaps I was thrown by your saying Pop was rationalizing the penalty. That's not a favorable characterization.

td4mvp21
01-30-2007, 08:34 PM

You sound like a bitch right now, so stop. :dramaquee

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-30-2007, 09:05 PM

You're a fucking retard. If Duncan can get suspended for a game because he accidentally hit Nies, Kobe can be suspended for hitting Manu above the head.

Fuck, I haven't heard anyone turn into this big of a pussy on the forum since someone took away the login to liberaltimes.com from boutons.

itzsoweezee
01-30-2007, 09:08 PM
Bro, its 2007. If you were a true Lakers fan you'd know that the asterisk was taken out of the Spurs' name with force in the 2003 playoffs when Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Kevin Willis sent Shaq to the bench with over 6 minutes left in the decisive game...in LA. If I recall correctly, the Spurs were up by as much as 30 in that game. So spare the weak asterisk smack, please.

i remember that game, it was tear-inducing. kobe and fisher know about all that

boutons_
01-30-2007, 09:08 PM
"he accidentally hit Nies,"

No accident, at all. Tim grabbed Nies by the shoulders and moved him aside.
Nies fell down.

"you're fucking stupid"

1Parker1
01-30-2007, 09:10 PM
Greg Anthony just said on NBA Coast to Coast that he knows for a fact that someone from the Spurs did contact the league personally on this. They just didn't say it publicly. Then Tim Leigler pointed out that last year, Spurs did the same thing with the Ron Artest foul to Ginobili. Artest wasn't kicked out of the game for that play or anything but afterwards Spurs front office made a big beef out of it and called the league to get Artest suspended for a game. So it has happened for the Spurs.

:wtf :rolleyes If it was anyone other than Kobe, no one would be trying to turn this around on the Spurs. Though I too don't think that Kobe deserves to be suspended, I hate how the media is turning it around on the Spurs saying that they are little bitchers.

ChumpDumper
01-30-2007, 09:13 PM
Yeah, the Spurs control the NBA.

WalterBenitez
01-30-2007, 09:19 PM
:eyebrows

Ronaldo McDonald
01-30-2007, 09:19 PM
Perhaps I was thrown by your saying Pop was rationalizing the penalty. That's not a favorable characterization.

If this sums up a point POP made:

"He said the league can't determine intent and neither can anyone else. That it doesn't matter about the intent because it was only about it being a hit to the head"

By using this rationale, POP can no longer give a valid explanation as to why the hell players have sprained their ankles, or been hit in the face by bowens shoe (which is what happened to Wally). The outcome of severe physical contact alone is enough to to warrant a suspension, according to POP, because intent is undeterminable. Which of course is idiotic. What's even more idiotic is when he explains to the media that Bowen would NEVER deliberatley hurt a player because he KNOWS Bruce isn't that type of a guy. I usually don't defend Kobe, but according to POP a players good behavior, as he knows it, is enough to excuse a him from being suspended.

He's a hypocrite.

WalterBenitez
01-30-2007, 09:21 PM
I'm getting upset because of the hipocrisy in the League.

Welcome my friend .. do you remember that .4 second that lasts 2 seconds ... :music

ChumpDumper
01-30-2007, 09:22 PM
Which of course is idiotic.Is it? Is intent always determinable?
I usually don't defend Kobe, but according to POP a players good behavior, as he knows it, is enough to excuse a him from being suspended.I want to see those quotes from Pop. Surely you have them.

Ronaldo McDonald
01-30-2007, 09:55 PM
Is it? Is intent always determinable?I want to see those quotes from Pop. Surely you have them.

No. Intent is never determinable. But actions, unlike words, to an undeterminable degree (from an objective perspective), can lessen the formidablity of what is percieved undeterminable.

As for pops quotes, I can't say I can provide them, but if I do happen to find them I will be sure to post them. I know what I heard though, and I have no reason or time to make up stories.

I'm kind of in a hurry, I'll post later (you prob don't care, but just thought to let you know that way you don't think I'm trying to avoid posting the evidence that is POPs quote)

ChumpDumper
01-30-2007, 09:58 PM
Formidability?

People get really busy when I ask for things like that. I'm used to it.

Mark in Austin
01-30-2007, 09:58 PM

:lol ouch.

Leetonidas
01-30-2007, 10:05 PM
:lmao

You're kidding right? The most pampered star in the league behind Dwayne Wade is getting the shit end of the stick? Damn, you're fucking retarded. It's a league rule. You hit someone above the neck with an elbow, you get suspended. Why can't you get that through your head?

Ronaldo McDonald
01-30-2007, 10:08 PM
Formidability?

People get really busy when I ask for things like that. I'm used to it.

Ha, quick post; please, though, if you think that I'm avoiding you for the reason you have assumed, you are wrong. The truth is, I have to study. But, I can't prove that. So, WHY am I dismissing myself?

Ha!

Undeterminable. I understand your skepticism. :toast

ChumpDumper
01-30-2007, 10:18 PM
Hurry along now.

Cherry
01-30-2007, 10:40 PM
Manu doesn't want to seem like a punk, so he'll never call a guy out no matter what. In '05 after Carmelo was ejected late in Game 4 for elbowing him in the head and it was blatant as hell he said he didn't think that one was on purpose either. He said Artest's wasn't on purpose last year. A guy could punch him right in the face and he won't say anything, he'll just get revenge on the court.

Well said :clap

spurschick
01-30-2007, 10:50 PM
I've noticed that Manu seems to play better after he takes a shot to the head. :lol

ploto
01-30-2007, 11:07 PM
Greg Anthony just said on NBA Coast to Coast that he knows for a fact that someone from the Spurs did contact the league personally on this. They just didn't say it publicly. Then Tim Leigler pointed out that last year, Spurs did the same thing with the Ron Artest foul to Ginobili. Artest wasn't kicked out of the game for that play or anything but afterwards Spurs front office made a big beef out of it and called the league to get Artest suspended for a game. So it has happened for the Spurs.

And that is how it works.

ChumpDumper
01-30-2007, 11:10 PM
Yes, the Spurs control the NBA.

wildbill2u
01-30-2007, 11:15 PM
Yep, that's why we won three championships--the League and the Refs saw to it because they want a small market team to boost their TV ratings. :rolleyes

Everybody knows that.:clap

T Park
01-30-2007, 11:16 PM
is ploto just here to be annoying and piss people off?

dimsah
01-30-2007, 11:32 PM
Wasn't it common knowledge at the time that the Spurs said something to the league about the Artest elbow? I didn't think they were trying to hide that. Is that my imagination?

phyzik
01-30-2007, 11:33 PM
I just find it the most fucking hilarious thing in the NBA that Lakers fans are calling out Stern (especially since it wasnt even him who gave out the suspension) saying Spurs are untouchable and he hates the Lakers.... The same man who said if it was up to him he would have a lakers vs lakers finals game.... Last I checked LA is still probably only second to New York, if not larger, in the NBA market... trust me, Stern still feels the same, he would masterbate mid-court if LA made the finals.

Its like LA fans feel entitled to have everything fucking fed to them with a silver fucking spoon since Magic Johnson.

I seriously hope SA doesnt turn out that way when we lose TD.

A rule is a rule is a motherfucking rule... Its unfortunate (and undeserving of a suspension IMO) but thats the way it is. Speeding on a highway to pass a bad driver is still speeding no matter how you look at it.... how is this any different?

SequSpur
01-31-2007, 12:39 AM
you mean you all still listen to Popovich's show? Shit, gave that up 2 years ago. What a waste of time.

leemajors
01-31-2007, 12:42 AM
If this sums up a point POP made:

"He said the league can't determine intent and neither can anyone else. That it doesn't matter about the intent because it was only about it being a hit to the head"

By using this rationale, POP can no longer give a valid explanation as to why the hell players have sprained their ankles, or been hit in the face by bowens shoe (which is what happened to Wally). The outcome of severe physical contact alone is enough to to warrant a suspension, according to POP, because intent is undeterminable. Which of course is idiotic. What's even more idiotic is when he explains to the media that Bowen would NEVER deliberatley hurt a player because he KNOWS Bruce isn't that type of a guy. I usually don't defend Kobe, but according to POP a players good behavior, as he knows it, is enough to excuse a him from being suspended.

He's a hypocrite.

pop seemed to be speaking in the context of the rule - rule says blow to head, suspension. kobe did that, and got suspended. thus it was warranted. he didn't think it was intentional but the NBA is enforcing the rule to the letter. there's not any other way to look at it.

ChumpDumper
01-31-2007, 01:19 AM
you mean you all still read Sequ's posts? Shit, gave that up 2 years ago. What a waste of time.

Ronaldo McDonald
01-31-2007, 03:50 AM
pop seemed to be speaking in the context of the rule - rule says blow to head, suspension. kobe did that, and got suspended. thus it was warranted. he didn't think it was intentional but the NBA is enforcing the rule to the letter. there's not any other way to look at it.

I understand. But don't you find it both ironic and unfair that a slight blow to the head that doesn't do any harm warrants a suspension, while the slide of a foot beneath a player in the air that can result in an ankle sprain or even worse a broken ankle deserves no penalty?

Throw intent in the air, and you've got the outcome of one injury that is clearly more costly to a player, and of course to his team...yet the injury that clearly isn't as debiliating is given more consideration from the people who make the suspension decisions.

lovespurs forever
01-31-2007, 04:08 AM
:p: :dizzy

ChumpDumper
01-31-2007, 04:10 AM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20070129/capt.las10801290016.spurs_lakers_basketball__las10 8.jpg

"No harm"

Ironic, indeed.

Louie Vega
01-31-2007, 04:45 AM
You think Phil is any different?!

I have more respect for Phil Hendrie then I do for Phil Jackson!

Ronaldo McDonald
01-31-2007, 05:08 AM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20070129/capt.las10801290016.spurs_lakers_basketball__las10 8.jpg

"No harm"

Ironic, indeed.

Well now he has an excuse for having that massive snout of his!

Dave McNulla
01-31-2007, 10:39 AM

:wtf :rolleyes If it was anyone other than Kobe, no one would be trying to turn this around on the Spurs. Though I too don't think that Kobe deserves to be suspended, I hate how the media is turning it around on the Spurs saying that they are little bitchers.
first, greg anthony doesn't tap the spurs phone. the fact, as he puts it, is speculation or hearsay. second, tim legler doesn't tap the spurs phone... speculation or hearsay. third, nobody has ever said they have a source on the spurs that said they contacted to league to complain about any of those calls.

fourth, don't these friggin' idiots think the league has people who review all games for flagrant fouls especially when one is called, when a player is injured and spewing blood from their nose and holding ice packs against their eye, or when there is a big ruckus? of course they do. nobody needs to call the league about that stuff ever.

fifth, popovich never said he didn't call the league about this incident. but he didn't have to, see fourth.

Dave McNulla
01-31-2007, 10:43 AM
Wasn't it common knowledge at the time that the Spurs said something to the league about the Artest elbow? I didn't think they were trying to hide that. Is that my imagination?
first there has to be knowledge before it becomes common knowledge. saying i know for a fact doesn't mean squat. anybody who says that should state the actual way that they know the fact.

Dave McNulla
01-31-2007, 10:46 AM
I understand. But don't you find it both ironic and unfair that a slight blow to the head that doesn't do any harm warrants a suspension, while the slide of a foot beneath a player in the air that can result in an ankle sprain or even worse a broken ankle deserves no penalty?

Throw intent in the air, and you've got the outcome of one injury that is clearly more costly to a player, and of course to his team...yet the injury that clearly isn't as debiliating is given more consideration from the people who make the suspension decisions.
are you saying that anybody who moves their foot that somebody else lands on should get a penalty?

YoMamaIsCallin
01-31-2007, 11:31 AM

"we" ?? Oh so which of the Lakers are you??

Oh, you're NOT a Laker? Just a fan?? I thought "fan" came from "fanatic", maybe in your case it comes from "fantasy".

YoMamaIsCallin
01-31-2007, 11:35 AM

I don't believe a thing Greg Anthony ever says about the Spurs. He's always disliked them.

I saw the show and I don't think he actually said he "knows for a fact".

My opinion is that he is bullshitting. He heard someone say that they heard the Spurs called the league office. He doesn't really know, he's just saying that.

My opinion is that the truth is that there were some phone calls. We do know for a fact that the league office called Ginobili. I think this was probably rumor-milled into "The Spurs called the league to complain."

Extra Stout
01-31-2007, 11:59 AM
The root cause of all this bitching is that Kobe missed his one trip to Madison Square Garden this season, and the New York CEO's with courtside seats and luxury boxes are pissed about it.

Do you think Stern and Stu Jackson are going to stand up to the bankrollers and say, "The integrity of the game is more important than your tickets on one night," or shrug their shoulders and say, "What can we do? Those hayseeds in San Antonio forced our hand."

Uh-huh.

alamo50
01-31-2007, 12:47 PM
Get Don "Screw You" Harris finaly off that show for crying out loud!!!

:pctoss

Ronaldo McDonald
01-31-2007, 12:51 PM
are you saying that anybody who moves their foot that somebody else lands on should get a penalty?

Taking into account that most players in mid-air are 100% concentrated on the jump shot and not on how to land safely, they are completely vulnerable. I think that in this situation the defensive player should always take the initiative to make sure that no one gets injured, because he clearly has more control over his body, and thus the outcome of a play.

Bruce should know this...and it pisses me off when counters it with saying it's not his fault. But he probably doesn't see itany other way because 95% of the time he shoots the ball no one is in front of, or beneath him.

I think his intent to injury a player in a situation like this can be substantially supported given that he is the player with most control of the outcome.

Fabbs
02-02-2007, 09:54 AM
I just find it the most fucking hilarious thing in the NBA that Lakers fans are calling out Stern (especially since it wasnt even him who gave out the suspension) saying Spurs are untouchable and he hates the Lakers.... The same man who said if it was up to him he would have a lakers vs lakers finals game....
Link?