PDA

View Full Version : Did the Spurs call the league to review the kobe hit?

my2sons
01-30-2007, 09:25 PM
Peanut head and dirty white boy say the spurs have a history of whining about questionable hits on nba coast to coast. Peanut head said he's tired of the reports that the spurs did not call the league on the hit and that he knew for a fact that someone on the spurs staff called the league and dirty white boy sarcastically said they did the same thing w/artest in the playoffs. all the reports i've heard and read stated the spurs did not think it was on purpose and that they were not going to follow up with the league. how the hell does peanut head know for a fact that a spurs official contacted the league. :donkey

Extra Stout
01-30-2007, 11:18 PM
PH holds a grudge for a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooong time.

exstatic
01-30-2007, 11:20 PM
You actually listen to people called 'Peanut Head' and 'Dirty White Boy'?
:lmao

phyzik
01-30-2007, 11:21 PM
Im guessing this is one of the reasons he's called peanut head....

Pretty fitting name if you ask me.

Leetonidas
01-30-2007, 11:22 PM
No.

THE SIXTH MAN
01-31-2007, 12:33 AM
Those guys have to be the worst b-ball analyst in NBA history. Peanut head should just come out and say he hates the spurs. Every chance he gets hes always ripping on the team. :jack

Holt's Cat
01-31-2007, 12:52 AM
Peter called....collect.

THE SIXTH MAN
01-31-2007, 01:40 AM
What I don't get is how the hell does some one, that does not have a connection to the spurs or the league office have inside info to make a claim like that?

ArgSpursFan
01-31-2007, 08:36 AM
Peter called....collect.

LilMissSPURfect
01-31-2007, 10:50 AM
What I don't get is how the hell does some one, that does not have a connection to the spurs or the league office have inside info to make a claim like that?

my sentiments exactly....I was like wtf would give his nappy butt any inside info anyway......what a buncha winnies.!!!! They are suppose to ANALYZE not FANTASIZE! :ihit :ihit

FromWayDowntown
01-31-2007, 11:19 AM
Actually, it would be pretty easy for either Anthony or Legler to speak with a source at the league office -- Anthony played for the Grizzlies in 1996-97 when Stu Jackson was the coach of that franchise, so it might very well be that Stu himself is Anthony's source and told him that the Spurs called. Or, it might be that Anthony has a friendship with someone who works in Jackson's office.

cheguevara
01-31-2007, 11:20 AM
This is the Spurs, not the bitchass Knicks/Mavs/Sonics

Extra Stout
01-31-2007, 12:11 PM
What, was nobody in the league office aware of the incident on a nationwide ABC broadcast from Los Angeles until alerted by the Spurs front office?

Dave McNulla
01-31-2007, 12:12 PM
Actually, it would be pretty easy for either Anthony or Legler to speak with a source at the league office -- Anthony played for the Grizzlies in 1996-97 when Stu Jackson was the coach of that franchise, so it might very well be that Stu himself is Anthony's source and told him that the Spurs called. Or, it might be that Anthony has a friendship with someone who works in Jackson's office.then it's hearsay. GA didn't take the phone call from the spurs, somebody told him they called. GA doesn't know that it's true.

GA didn't say how he knew the fact, which also makes it useless.

ploto
01-31-2007, 12:14 PM
Asked whether he complained to league officials that Bryant should be suspended, Popovich said, "I'll just keep my thoughts to myself."

If the answer was a simple no- he would just say no. He never answered the question yesterday on the Pop Show either. He sidestepped it.

ploto
01-31-2007, 12:14 PM
then it's hearsay. GA didn't take the phone call from the spurs, somebody told him they called. GA doesn't know that it's true.

Enjoy the kool-aid.

dimsah
01-31-2007, 12:29 PM
Who gives a fuck if Pop did, or didn't call the league office?
How does it change your life? Will you stop being a Spurs fan if you find out either way? Will you stop buying merchandise? Better yet, would you lose respect for Pop?
If so, why would he care?

Maybe Pop could care less what anyone else thinks?
It's the NBA, not prison. Is there as such a thing as "street cred" between coaches and gm's? Will this make other gm's not deal with Pop, and RC because of this?
A gm is going to do a deal with anyone if he thinks it makes his team better.

I'll be glad when the game comes on tonight because we need some new shit to talk about.

MrChug
01-31-2007, 12:32 PM
GREG ANTHONY=BILL WALTON

These guys have become an absolute joke. I almost puked when he said the words "I know for a fact" that the Spurs called the front office when he doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground. And the scary part is the tagalong white boy did what tagalong white boys do....TAGGED ALONG. Greg Anthony hates the Spurs since we knocked off his lame Blazers in 99. It's not our fault he looks like a little pen!$ with a suit on.

cheguevara
01-31-2007, 12:32 PM
If the answer was a simple no- he would just say no. He never answered the question yesterday on the Pop Show either. He sidestepped it.

you obviously never heard Pop before. He's always like that.

Never ever ever you will hear him say Yes or No

FromWayDowntown
01-31-2007, 12:35 PM
then it's hearsay. GA didn't take the phone call from the spurs, somebody told him they called. GA doesn't know that it's true.

If Stu Jackson told Anthony that the Spurs called, which is plausible, then it's not hearsay.

I'm not trying to defend Anthony, but it did occur to me that there is a possibility that his information came from someone who was directly involved in the situation, which would make his statement credible.

MajorMike
01-31-2007, 12:40 PM

He did say a simple no. He actually got a little pissy when asked that, and replied they had no contact with them. He even went on to say that even if they had, the NBA would not have listened to their input, anway, and still done whatever they wanted. He did, however, say they hasn't talked to the NBA at all on it, and seemed to me made the point very clear.

ploto
01-31-2007, 02:05 PM
He did say a simple no. He actually got a little pissy when asked that, and replied they had no contact with them. He even went on to say that even if they had, the NBA would not have listened to their input, anway, and still done whatever they wanted. He did, however, say they hasn't talked to the NBA at all on it, and seemed to me made the point very clear.
No he didn't. He worded it in such a way as to make you think he was saying that- but all he said was that itis not necessary since the NBA reviews these things. Teams contact the NBA all the time even though there are automatic reviews.

MajorMike
01-31-2007, 02:08 PM
No he didn't. He worded it in such a way as to make you think he was saying that- but all he said was that itis not necessary since the NBA reviews these things. Teams contact the NBA all the time even though there are automatic reviews.

Enjoy the kool-aid.

ponky
01-31-2007, 03:01 PM

spurs don't send tapes to the league? you sure about that?

Kori Ellis
01-31-2007, 03:05 PM

Sure they do.

However, in the case, I don't think anyone needed to send the tape to the league. Manu was bleeding. The "hit" was being talked about everywhere. The league probably was already reviewing it by morning.

I think the most likely person to send this tape to the league though was Isiah, not Pop :)

Dave McNulla
01-31-2007, 03:08 PM
If Stu Jackson told Anthony that the Spurs called, which is plausible, then it's not hearsay.

I'm not trying to defend Anthony, but it did occur to me that there is a possibility that his information came from someone who was directly involved in the situation, which would make his statement credible.
if i told you that george bush called me and told me that they have surveillance on you, would you say that you know for a fact the government is watching you?

it's not a fact. it's witness by somebody who didn't witness the event, it's called hearsay.

cornbread
01-31-2007, 03:09 PM

You can't be sure about that unless you're working in the FO or if they just came out and admitted to sending tapes. There is one team that I'm SURE sends tapes. Sends tapes, posts videos on blogs, lobbies to get rules changed to favor their superstar, etc. That I'm sure of.

YoMamaIsCallin
01-31-2007, 03:10 PM
if i told you that george bush called me and told me that they have surveillance on you, would you say that you know for a fact the government is watching you?

it's not a fact. it's witness by somebody who didn't witness the event, it's called hearsay.

oh f**k you had to bring Bush into the discussion. This thread will never die now.

Dave McNulla
01-31-2007, 03:12 PM
Enjoy the kool-aid.
the only person serving kool-aid is greg anthony. he doesn't know anything, and you're buying. btw, it's flavor-aid (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Jones). next time try to use the correct inference.

ponky
01-31-2007, 03:15 PM
Sure they do.

However, in the case, I don't think anyone needed to send the tape to the league. Manu was bleeding. The "hit" was being talked about everywhere. The league probably was already reviewing it by morning.

I think the most likely person to send this tape to the league though was Isiah, not Pop :)

lol, yeah this is true...my fingers just went flying in response to the "bitchass mavs" comment :lol

kskonn
01-31-2007, 03:18 PM

legally this is correct. That is why if you go to court you can not speak about people who are not there in person do defend themselves, because it is heresay.

ponky
01-31-2007, 03:24 PM
You can't be sure about that unless you're working in the FO or if they just came out and admitted to sending tapes. There is one team that I'm SURE sends tapes. Sends tapes, posts videos on blogs, lobbies to get rules changed to favor their superstar, etc. That I'm sure of.

LMFAO, dude, Dirk doesn't need any favors. Cuban may be a hot-head but wgaf, he'a fan with a lot of money who just happens to own a team. He's no different than all the people in here calling Kobe a dirty player, complaining about how Dirk flops, etc. You just hate on him because he acts like a fan and has the money and presence to at least try and make his voice heard with the league....I know lots of fans who would kill to have that kind of weight with their favorite team. I'm not a huge fan of Cuban so chill, but I can understand where he's coming from, he's just looking after his favorite team. I could care less if the Spurs sent the tape in, they need to do whatever they need to do to take care of their team and get an edge, it's part of the game. Acting like you don't engage in it is a different matter, no need to act holier than thou when everybody's doing it. Vague responses from Pop, while a much calmer approach than Cuban, doesn't mean that practices are different when it comes to lobbying and tapes.

FromWayDowntown
01-31-2007, 03:32 PM
legally this is correct. That is why if you go to court you can not speak about people who are not there in person do defend themselves, because it is heresay.

You guys can discuss hearsay all you want. My point has nothing to do with hearsay.

My point was this: if someone the Spurs organization placed a call to Stu Jackson, asking him to look at that play, and if Stu Jackson told Greg Anthony that someone in the Spurs organization called and asked that the play be reviewed, the veracity of Anthony's statements wouldn't be subject to any real question. My post was just a hypothesis about how Greg Anthony could conceivably have learned that the Spurs called the league for a fact based on a discussion with someone in the league office. Since the possibility of a relationship between Anthony and Jackson exists, my hypothesis was one fairly reasonable explanation for Anthony's statements last night.

I'm not saying that any of those things happened, but if they did, you'd be hard-pressed to refute that Anthony knew "for a fact" that the Spurs had called the league.

I also find it disgusting that Anthony and others are turning this back on the Spurs. Surely, if the situation had been reversed -- if Manu had socked Kobe in exactly the same way and been suspended for that based, presumptively, upon urging from the Lakers' organization -- I don't think Greg Anthony would be pointing the finger of blame at the Lakers; I think he'd be lambasting Manu Ginobili.

infinite styles
01-31-2007, 04:51 PM
Well no matter who did what Greg Anthony has the ability to say that he knows for a "fact" simply because he is such a non figure in the whole equation. You will never see him question Pop or the Spurs FO over the subject simply because he is not a significant figure in the situation. And also nobody is going to question him because it would be a waste of their time. People like Anthony throw out opinions and thoughts as if they were fact all the time because a majority of people don't find them as a significant source of credible information givers.

cornbread
01-31-2007, 05:13 PM
LMFAO, dude, Dirk doesn't need any favors. Cuban may be a hot-head but wgaf, he'a fan with a lot of money who just happens to own a team. He's no different than all the people in here calling Kobe a dirty player, complaining about how Dirk flops, etc. You just hate on him because he acts like a fan and has the money and presence to at least try and make his voice heard with the league....I know lots of fans who would kill to have that kind of weight with their favorite team. I'm not a huge fan of Cuban so chill, but I can understand where he's coming from, he's just looking after his favorite team. I could care less if the Spurs sent the tape in, they need to do whatever they need to do to take care of their team and get an edge, it's part of the game. Acting like you don't engage in it is a different matter, no need to act holier than thou when everybody's doing it. Vague responses from Pop, while a much calmer approach than Cuban, doesn't mean that practices are different when it comes to lobbying and tapes.

Cuban obviously felt like Dirk needed a favor. He openly admitted, on latenight television no less, to lobbying to get the rules changed in favor of his boy. Spin it however you'd like but that's some weak shit. There are numerous actions by Cuban that make me feel "hollier than thou" so I excuse me if express that feeling. Until the Spurs FO comes out and admits to doing such acts like I named above or some other reliable source (this does not include your assumptions) confirms it, I can't assume that "everybody's doing it".

BTW, I'm cool as a cucumber. No need to tell me to chill.

GrandeDavid
01-31-2007, 05:18 PM

Exactly!

Hell no do I think the Spurs called about the hit. But even if they did, ah fuggit! :devil

Shelly
01-31-2007, 05:37 PM
You actually listen to people called 'Peanut Head' and 'Dirty White Boy'?

Isn't Dirty White Boy a Foreigner song?

GrandeDavid
01-31-2007, 05:45 PM
^Exactly! I was thinking the same thing, Shelly.

Laker4ever
01-31-2007, 05:45 PM
Honestly as a Laker fan it doesn't really matter who called it in. We're more angry about the suspension. Just because it was pointed out didn't really mean Kobe had to be suspended but he was. The deed is done. We're moving on. Good luck on your rodeo trip and hopefully we meet again in the playoffs.

kskonn
01-31-2007, 06:04 PM
Honestly as a Laker fan it doesn't really matter who called it in. We're more angry about the suspension. Just because it was pointed out didn't really mean Kobe had to be suspended but he was. The deed is done. We're moving on. Good luck on your rodeo trip and hopefully we meet again in the playoffs.

yea it seems like Kobe and Manu are over it and are still friends. It didn't seem like Manu was every really mad at Kobe, maybe mad that there was no fould call but not at Kobe. He knows he has done the same type of things and that it was an accident. If Kobe had obviously intended to hit kobe in the face like that then it would be a different story, but he didn't.

mardigan
01-31-2007, 06:12 PM
It doesnt matter if they sent it in or not. At first I didnt think Kobe deserved to get suspended, but after seeing it a few times I realize that it was completly warranted. Kobe could have seriously hurt Manu, broken nose, etc. And Ponky, dont try to defend Cuban, he is the absolute worst at lobbying the league for his team.

Obstructed_View
01-31-2007, 06:51 PM
That loss to the Knicks could end up being the difference in records between the Spurs and Lakers; why wouldn't you send the tape in if it gave you an advantage? I agree that it was probably Isiah that notified the league.