PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know a good Vietnamese restaurant in SA?

Please_dont_ban_me
01-31-2007, 02:35 AM
An acquaintance just told me about this dish "pho". Looks delicious.

http://noodlepie.typepad.com/blog/images/pho24-fat-pho.jpg

Trainwreck2100
01-31-2007, 02:47 AM
You should make it yourself, the city pound is overpopulated as it is.

Jekka
01-31-2007, 02:47 AM
Pho Cong Ly on Bitters is really good. There's also a place on McCullough close to Methodist Metropolitan Hospital called Saigon Express that has awesome meatball sandwiches and fried rice.

Please_dont_ban_me
01-31-2007, 02:51 AM
Pho Cong Ly on Bitters is really good. There's also a place on McCullough close to Methodist Metropolitan Hospital called Saigon Express that has awesome meatball sandwiches and fried rice.

Bitters and 281 by any chance? That's pretty close to where I live.

What is something good to order, other than Pho? I don't want to sit there like an idiot staring at the menu. :D Pho + ???

Trainwreck2100
01-31-2007, 02:56 AM
:D Pho + ???
Milkbone, it's like eating a salad with your steak

Jekka
01-31-2007, 03:07 AM
Bitters and 281 by any chance? That's pretty close to where I live.

What is something good to order, other than Pho? I don't want to sit there like an idiot staring at the menu. :D Pho + ???
Yes, it's in a strip center at the intersection of West and Bitters. Their spring rolls were pretty badass, I'd recommend those. I haven't tried too much else there, the pho is so good that I always end up there specifically for the pho.

Please_dont_ban_me
01-31-2007, 03:13 AM
Yes, it's in a strip center at the intersection of West and Bitters. Their spring rolls were pretty badass, I'd recommend those. I haven't tried too much else there, the pho is so good that I always end up there specifically for the pho.

Alright, spring rolls, Pho and a plate of rice it is. Thanks!

(btw one last thing, where exactly is West on bitters? I know there's a little plaza with Clicks and another club...is it in that plaza? but that's like right off the highway, behind that valero)

Trainwreck2100
01-31-2007, 03:20 AM

(btw one last thing, where exactly is West on bitters? I know there's a little plaza with Clicks and another club...is it in that plaza? but that's like right off the highway, behind that valero)

Just listen for the sad wailings of a dog that was robbed of it's mate, it's caddy corner to that.

Jekka
01-31-2007, 03:32 AM

Bitters at West is on the west side of 281, and the strip center is on the west corner of the intersection. Map (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=300+W+Bitters+Rd,+San+Antonio,+TX+78216&ie=UTF8&z=16&om=1)

They give you a big plate of extra greens with the pho, be sure to put some extra basil and cilantro in it :hungry:

Trainwreck2100
01-31-2007, 03:59 AM
Bitters at West is on the west side of 281, and the strip center is on the west corner of the intersection. Map (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=300+W+Bitters+Rd,+San+Antonio,+TX+78216&ie=UTF8&z=16&om=1)

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/6596/imagerlj9.jpg

I guess we were both right then

Re-Animator
01-31-2007, 04:11 AM
Just listen for the sad wailings of a dog that was robbed of it's mate, it's caddy corner to that.

:lmao

While your eating your meal, think of our POWs and MIAs

Please_dont_ban_me
01-31-2007, 04:14 AM
:lmao

While your eating your meal, think of our POWs and MIAs

I'll do that when Americans stop driving Volkswagens, and think about the concentration camps.

=RTM=
01-31-2007, 04:15 AM
Dude save your money and head on out to my trailer.
I will make you a hot bowl of Ramine noddles while my sister makes love to you long time. :smokin

=RTM=
01-31-2007, 04:18 AM
I'll do that when Americans stop driving Volkswagens, and think about the concentration camps.

How much concentration does it take to build a Volkswagen?

Re-Animator
01-31-2007, 04:20 AM

Dude that was a good come back, you should do stand up or talk radio
:smokin

TDMVPDPOY
01-31-2007, 06:28 AM
special beef :D

pho bo - cow
pho ga - chicken
get pho dac biet = its the lot, has more variety of meat
and dont forget MSG :D HAHAHA secret ingredient...thats why its better to cook it at home instead of eating out....
if you dont like eatin alot of meat, but like meatballs instead, just ask for pho bo gien..
i eat this stuff all the time, just like how mexicans love there tacos, vietnamese love there pho.

TDMVPDPOY
01-31-2007, 06:34 AM

paper rice is also nice, with prawns, noodles, lettuce, pork down in thick soy sauce..

oh yeh also try out there black ice coffee or 3 color drink....they usually import the coffee beans from vietnam which taste better, and its very addictive :D had it everyday when i was in vietnam....3 color drink is like a desert with coconut juice, shredded ice, some yellow shit with black beans......

dirk4mvp.
01-31-2007, 07:03 AM
the coffee beans from vietnam which taste better, and its very addictive :D had it everyday when i was in vietnam..

So instead of fighting the enemy you was drinking coffee at fancy restaurant's?

TDMVPDPOY
01-31-2007, 07:52 AM
So instead of fighting the enemy you was drinking coffee at fancy restaurant's?

im only 24 man

Kori Ellis
01-31-2007, 08:44 AM
There's a vietnamese restaurant on Bandera and Wurzbach or so that's pretty popular. But I've never been there.

johnsmith
01-31-2007, 08:51 AM
The joint you guys are talking about on bitters and 281 is my favorite place to eat in San Antonio. I get the large P14, always.

Pho is some good shit.

TDMVPDPOY
01-31-2007, 09:21 AM
my mum is making it tommarow, i show you how big the stew my mum makes which has got to last a good 3 dayz

Hawk
01-31-2007, 10:02 AM
Vietnam on Broadway by Brackenridge park is pretty good.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-31-2007, 10:06 AM
just pick one that's far away from a pet store or veterinarian

Xolotl
01-31-2007, 10:59 AM
There's also one on 410/Ingram in the shopping center with Laser Quest if youre ever in that area

Mr Dio
01-31-2007, 02:20 PM
You should make it yourself, the city pound is overpopulated as it is.

:lol

Mr Dio
01-31-2007, 02:23 PM
There's a vietnamese restaurant on Bandera and Wurzbach or so that's pretty popular. But I've never been there.

Is it across from Ancira on Wurzbach or actually on Bandera?

PakiDan
01-31-2007, 02:24 PM

I second on Pho Cong Ly!

Kori Ellis
01-31-2007, 03:17 PM
Is it across from Ancira on Wurzbach or actually on Bandera?

It's on Bandera Rd. It's not exactly at Wurzbach, but around that area. We drive by it all the time, I'll take note of the exact location next time we do. It always seems to be crowded.

gameFACE
01-31-2007, 03:18 PM
There's also a place on McCullough close to Methodist Metropolitan Hospital called Saigon Express that has awesome meatball sandwiches and fried rice.
Damn, I had lunch there today! It's one of my standard lunch places. I always get the pho with char-broiled pork.

CavsSuperFan
01-31-2007, 04:00 PM
http://www.myspaceantics.com/images/funny/fortune-cookie-not-chicken.jpg

Please_dont_ban_me
01-31-2007, 05:01 PM
paper rice is also nice, with prawns, noodles, lettuce, pork down in thick soy sauce..

oh yeh also try out there black ice coffee or 3 color drink....they usually import the coffee beans from vietnam which taste better, and its very addictive :D had it everyday when i was in vietnam....3 color drink is like a desert with coconut juice, shredded ice, some yellow shit with black beans......

Damn, I'll do all that one by one.

I went today to the one off Bitters, and wow. That Pho is really something. I need to learn how to use the chopsticks, but the Pho (with brisket?) was hell of good. Spring rolls as well. I'm going to make this a 2-3 times a month type place to go. Thanks Jekka!

Viva Las Espuelas
01-31-2007, 05:07 PM
So what does Vietnamese food taste like. Does it compare to Chinese, Thai, or Japanese in anyway. Is it sweet or spicy?

johnsmith
01-31-2007, 05:09 PM
So what does Vietnamese food taste like. Does it compare to Chinese, Thai, or Japanese in anyway. Is it sweet or spicy?

Vietnamese food uses a lot of rice.....rice noodles, rice paper, rice rice. Then there are a lot of bamboo shoots, fish oil, cilantro, and nuts in many of the dishes. It's really good, and most of it, especially the soup they are talking about, is very healthy.

You can also put Saracha and Hoisan sauce on damn near everything in order to spice it up a bit.

Please_dont_ban_me
01-31-2007, 05:09 PM

This is the first time I've had Vietnamese food...

But from my limited experience, it's not very spicy. Pretty plain, BUT they do have some good hot sauce there you can put on your egg rolls and what not. The soup was...not spicy but, tasty? It wasn't plain at all. Had a nice little zing to it. Good shit.

And it's not really "soup" per say. It's "soup...with chunks of meed and little spaghetti strings in" and comes in a huge ass bowl. I couldn't even finish it, and I'm a big boy.

Please_dont_ban_me
01-31-2007, 05:10 PM
and most of it, especially the soup they are talking about, is very healthy.

That's what I was thinking. If you want to eat good, and still eat healthy... this type of food is the way to go.

johnsmith
01-31-2007, 05:13 PM
That's what I was thinking. If you want to eat good, and still eat healthy... this type of food is the way to go.

Furthermore, that big ass bowl of soup you got only costs you $6.00.

Please_dont_ban_me
01-31-2007, 05:14 PM
Furthermore, that big ass bowl of soup you got only costs you $6.00.

Eggjactly.

Well $5.50 to be exact, but still. I could feed two people with that huge ass bowl.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-31-2007, 05:16 PM
Soup, to me, is just flavored water. I'm talking food. The stuff that puts layers on you. Thanks PDBM, but can anybody else describe it for me.

johnsmith
01-31-2007, 05:23 PM
Soup, to me, is just flavored water. I'm talking food. The stuff that puts layers on you. Thanks PDBM, but can anybody else describe it for me.

Get the rice noodle bowls then. They are essentially the same thing as the soup, just without the broth and the noodles are thinner. Plus fish oil is used more generously on the noodle bowls.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-31-2007, 05:32 PM
hmmm. It sounds like there's not a whole lot of difference in Vietnamese food.

TDMVPDPOY
01-31-2007, 08:46 PM
And it's not really "soup" per say. It's "soup...with chunks of meed and little spaghetti strings in" and comes in a huge ass bowl. I couldn't even finish it, and I'm a big boy.

i think when bill clinton was still president he came down under to australia and visited my city, he ate at a vietnamese restraunt and he took down 2-3 bowls of pho.....i cant do better than that unless i starve for the day... :hungry:

Buddy Holly
01-31-2007, 08:53 PM
Here is a list of Vietnamese places in SA:

http://www.saeats.com/saeats/action/search/findByCuisine.do?cuisineCode=162

Please_dont_ban_me
01-31-2007, 08:59 PM
i think when bill clinton was still president he came down under to australia and visited my city, he ate at a vietnamese restraunt and he took down 2-3 bowls of pho.....i cant do better than that unless i starve for the day... :hungry:

I dunno' if it was the spring rolls that filled me up or what, but about 3/4 way through the Pho I was just...done. I was pretty hungry when I went in too.

Please_dont_ban_me
01-31-2007, 08:59 PM
Here is a list of Vietnamese places in SA:

http://www.saeats.com/saeats/action/search/findByCuisine.do?cuisineCode=162

:lol

Dude, you're the first person I thought of when I made this thread. But for the life of me I couldn't remember the site you were pimping a while back. I'll check those out, but the one Jekka recommended was quality. She knows her Vietnamese foods.

dave
02-01-2007, 01:31 PM
is "Vietnamese restaurant" code for "marijuana grow-op" ?

batman2883
02-01-2007, 01:33 PM
the one on bandera dude near the bowling alley its freaking great

mardigan
02-01-2007, 01:38 PM
There is a place called Tongs off of Austin Hgh., its not exactly Vietnamese per say, but its the bomb ass shit. Its kind of like a Thai food hybrid place that has everything, includind sushi and boba drinks. Right next too Bun n Barrell.

KEDA
02-01-2007, 05:45 PM
48 posts in this thread and not a peep outta BLAZE

unfrigginbelieveable

TDMVPDPOY
02-02-2007, 03:37 AM
mom made this yesterday now the stew base is only half atm

well here
http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/4636/img6262ad9.jpg

pour in stew
http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/966/img6263tl9.jpg

KEDA
02-02-2007, 09:13 AM
even that newspaper says the Spurs aren't playing well.