PDA

View Full Version : Eddiie Jones--possible for Dallas?

Big Shot Rob
02-01-2007, 05:10 AM
Jones mulls return to Heat

By Ira Winderman
South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Posted January 31 2007

MIAMI · Eddie Jones is poised for a return to the Heat, one that could come as early as Thursday.

Jones, who was dealt from the Heat to Memphis on Aug. 2, 2005, completed a buyout of the final year of his contract with the Grizzlies on Tuesday and was waived.

LocalLinks

The 6-foot-6 guard, who recently was passed by Dwyane Wade for fifth place on the Heat's all-time scoring list, can sign with the team of his choice Thursday.

"That's the way it's looking," a source close to the situation said of a reunion with the Heat.

Reached Tuesday, Jones said, "I haven't decided anything yet."

However his agent, Leon Rose, said the Heat was "among less than a handful of teams" that had attracted Jones' interest.

Jones listed the Mavericks and Lakers as possible alternate options.

Although no team is in position to claim Jones off waivers at his $15.7 million 2006-07 salary, the formality of clearing waivers Thursday afternoon apparently has Jones delaying his formal announcement.

"I haven't even spoken to Pat Riley yet," he said of the Heat president who acquired him in the 2000 offseason from the Hornets and then dealt him five years later to the Grizzlies.

Contacted later, Riley declined comment.

Rose said there is no issue with Jones having second thoughts about rejoining a team that dealt him the summer before it won its first NBA championship.

"If anything, I know Eddie has fond memories of his time in South Florida," Rose said. "Eddie's primary concern is to get with a contender."

The Ely High grad and Pompano Beach native who now lives in Weston has appeared in 29 games this season, averaging 5.6 points in an average of 19.3 minutes.

But just last week, the 35-year-old scored 19 points and converted the game-winning basket for the Grizzlies in an overtime victory in Utah.

Last season, while still a rotation player for the Grizzlies, Jones averaged 11.8 points during the regular season, as well as 10.3 points against the Mavericks in the playoffs.

Jones was dealt to the Grizzlies in the blockbuster five-team, 13-player deal that delivered Jason Williams, James Posey and Antoine Walker to the Heat.

However, injuries and the Grizzlies' youth movement pushed Jones to the back of Memphis' rotation this season.

At the least, Jones could inherit the defensive-stopper role that Shandon Anderson filled on last season's Heat championship team. That, in turn, could put the Heat in position to deal Posey and his expiring contract for much-needed ballhandling help.

According to ESPN.com, Jones gave up only $300,000 in his buyout, making it likely he would accept playing for a prorated share of the $1.2 million veteran's minimum for the balance of the season.

Interim coach Ron Rothstein served as an assistant during Jones' final season with the Heat.

"To me, Eddie was one of the consummate pros," he said. "I thoroughly enjoyed being on the team that he was on."

Ira Winderman can be reached at [email protected].

mabber
02-01-2007, 09:49 AM
From what I've read & heard, Avery talked with Jones but wouldn't guarantee him any playing time.

MajorMike
02-01-2007, 11:30 AM
same.

confined
02-01-2007, 04:57 PM
i say go get him...what harm could he do?

mabber
02-01-2007, 05:01 PM

The Mavs tried but he wanted a guarantee of playing time and no one gets that on Avery's team.

u2sarajevo
02-01-2007, 05:17 PM
He's going to the Heat.

dallaskd
02-01-2007, 10:00 PM
hell to the fucking no.

dallaskd
02-01-2007, 10:00 PM
He's going to the Heat.

thank god.

Bob Lanier
02-01-2007, 10:15 PM
Your coach could decide to put him on the floor at the end of games the way he does Stack.

confined
02-01-2007, 10:22 PM
yeah he's in a heat uniform tonight...that was quick

mabber
02-02-2007, 10:56 AM
Your coach could decide to put him on the floor at the end of games the way he does Stack.

You really have issues with Stack, don't you? :lol

Stack may have a bad shooting game from time to time (in his time with Dallas) but the Mavs wouldn't have a chance to win the title w/o him and everyone (all the players & coaches) to a man would say that and believe it.

I think he's the most indespensable Mav player outside of Dirk & Josh. He's helped change that entire team from being a bunch of soft pussies to a bunch of guys that don't back down from anyone.