PDA

View Full Version : SI Article: Manu Ginobili Sportsman of the Year

Rick Von Braun
11-11-2004, 04:41 PM
My Sportsman Choice: Manu Ginobili

Posted: Thursday November 11, 2004 12:39PM; Updated: Thursday November 11, 2004 1:28PM

By Chris Ballard

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2004/magazine/specials/sportsman/2004/11/11/ginobili/p1_ginobili_si.jpg

After leading Argentina to Olympic gold, Manu Ginobili hopes to help the Spurs capture another NBA title.
John Biever/SI

Granted, this is tough to do, but imagine that the United States hadn't won a gold medal at the Summer Olympics since 1948. Not in a particular event but in any event. Not one fluke victory in the high jump, one by-a-nose upset in the 100 meter fly, one rousing rhythmic gymnastic triumph. Nothing. Not a blip.

Then, after 52 years of international futility, let's say the U.S. not only won a gold medal but did so in a team sport in which it had been virtually irrelevant for the greater part of the last 100 years. Furthermore, let's say there was one transcendent player who carried this team in every big game and was clearly the MVP of the tournament. Were this the case, it's safe to say that this man would not only be given Sportsman of the Year but probably Sportsman of the Century and who knows what else -- perhaps his own daytime talk show or the governorship of Minnesota.

Well, there is such an athlete, only he's not American. But that's not going to stop me from picking him for Sportsman of the Year. If sports have truly become global in nature, and our magazine is aiming to reflect that, then we should look outside our own borders when bestowing accolades. Better yet, we won't have to fly this man in from some hinterland to pick up his trophy because he already lives in San Antonio and has a U.S. work visa. I speak of Manu Ginobili, the shooting guard for both the Argentinean national team and the Spurs.

In leading his country to the gold medal -- and defeating the United States in the process - Ginobili averaged 19.3 points, 4.0 rebounds, 3.3 assists and shot a Shaq-like 57.6 percent from the field for the tournament. He and his mates provided the world -- and especially a disjointed, ill-equipped US team -- with a clinic in the powers of team basketball. Crisp passing, constant ball movement, a lineup in which all five players can shoot: we would hold these basketball truths to be self-evident if it weren't for the fact that the American men displayed none of them.

So the Argentine national team should be lauded for providing a wake-up call to world basketball (for the second time; they first beat the United States at the 2002 World Championships). And Ginobili in particular should be singled out because he made not only his teammates believe -- they call him "the One" -- but also an entire nation. "Because of Manu, it is an explosion and a magic all over the country," says Juan Carlos Meschini, a commentator for TyC Sports, the ESPN of Argentina. "Many people who saw basketball as something distant, different from soccer, are coming around to the sport. It is becoming a national phenomenon."

Even better, he didn't play in the Olympics to raise his endorsement profile or to leverage an upcoming contract (he'd already signed a six-year deal with the Spurs in July). "We weren't getting paid, we get nothing," he says. "We go there with our contracts signed. There's no other goal other than to go for pride and to play together."

What a quaint idea: playing for pride and playing together. For that, Manu, I honor you.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/magazine/specials/sportsman/2004/11/11/ginobili/index.html

Spurminator
11-11-2004, 05:04 PM
Has everybody read the article in the November 8 issue about Manu and his celebrity in Argentina?

Great read.

Marcus Bryant
11-11-2004, 05:07 PM
Since the Spurs didn't trade for him, he doesn't count.

spursfaninla
11-11-2004, 05:20 PM
That actually made me laugh out loud, Marcus.

Solid D
11-11-2004, 05:21 PM
:rollin @ MB

I'm not sure how many people would agree with this writer, but he's got some support from the people here.

Spurminator
11-11-2004, 05:25 PM
I would eat my shoe if it's not someone on the Red Sox. Plus, no way do they give it to Spurs two years in a row.

I say Theo Epstein.

tlongII
11-11-2004, 05:34 PM
Argentina is irrelevant. Give it to an American.

GoSpurs21
11-11-2004, 10:07 PM
Manu is a South American isn't he?

ducks
11-11-2004, 10:12 PM
give it to who deservers it
do not be racist
should also have nothing to do where you were born

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-11-2004, 11:16 PM
Sweet article.

T Park
11-12-2004, 12:35 AM
someone needs to slip Manu a bottle of propecia, or Rogaine.

Its gettin a little thin in the back....

TheWriter
11-12-2004, 12:42 AM
I'll do that right after I slip you some Slim Fast or Trim Spa. ;)

E20
11-12-2004, 02:23 AM
Actually, Ginobili's hair right now is pretty long and wild for him. I hope he keeps it like that he looks raw.

fonzy16
11-12-2004, 04:22 AM
give him the award!

smeagol
11-12-2004, 05:42 AM
Argentina is irrelevant. Give it to an American.

TlongII:

You are irrelevant. Go fuck a cow!

travis2
11-12-2004, 07:37 AM
Be careful what you say. Tlong might like that.

Athenea
11-12-2004, 08:42 AM
Tlong, this is for you :devil
http://www.bigarthouse.com/inside/bathrooms/images/WINTER%20BATHROOM%20COW%20FACE.jpg

travis2
11-12-2004, 10:24 AM
Athenea, maybe that one should be posted in the "Has anyone ever dated someone they met on the boards" thread...:lol

smeagol
11-12-2004, 10:36 AM
Nice looking cow, right TlongII?

Sportcamper
11-12-2004, 10:38 AM
Is Ginobili the best player to come out of Italy?

travis2
11-12-2004, 10:39 AM
Welllll...considering he came out of Argentina.....

smeagol
11-12-2004, 10:56 AM
Is Ginobili the best player to come out of Italy?

Camper, are you "tonto"?

Sportcamper
11-12-2004, 10:56 AM
NO I am certain that he played professional in Italy...That is why they serve Italian food at all Spurs GTG...You should go sometime...

travis2
11-12-2004, 11:04 AM
"Coming out of" normally refers to nationality, not prior professional experience. Otherwise people would be saying that Bruce Bowen was one of the best to come out of France.

I don't think so...

polandprzem
11-12-2004, 11:15 AM
NO I am certain that he played professional in Italy...That is why they serve Italian food at all Spurs GTG...You should go sometime...

Not that's why !

They were serving the Italian food, so I sad that is a little tribute for Gino.
That's all. A little joke maybe. :spin
He played - as I know he have got the Italian passport somewhere.

smeagol
11-12-2004, 05:49 PM
Travis, thanks for explaining the situation to Camper

I wish I could go to one. Unfortunately I live in NY.

GrandeDavid
11-12-2004, 06:57 PM
That is an awesome piece. I actually see Manu as one of the greatest heroes in any sport across the globe. He has literally put an entire nation on the world basketball map and has personally been responsible for generating millions, if not billions, in additional revenue for the NBA and his national networks what with all the Argentinian viewership. And he's such a class act to ice that cake. Wow, what a legend!

Marcus Bryant
11-13-2004, 09:38 AM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20041104/capt.sad10111040303.kings_spurs_sad101.jpg
http://www.nxtlevel.com/images/NXTbanner.jpg

smeagol
11-13-2004, 10:33 AM
Manu ranks first in points per 48 minutes (35.5) and first in steals (16).

Awesome muchacho!!!!!

SpurYank
11-13-2004, 10:56 AM
On a more serious note, re Manu's selection by SI, the writer is correct. We should honor the Sportsman of the Year, no matter where he is from. This "He's not an American" whining is why we Americans are hated all over the world. We think the sun rises and sets on only our asses.