PDA

View Full Version : Oberto = 0rebs in 23 minutes

Spurs Brazil
02-01-2007, 12:49 PM
That's what our starting center gave us yesterday

I respect Oberto because he plays with a lot of heart but he's a MAJOR liability on the team, especially on defense.

Until Bonner comes back I'd give minutes to Butler. He can't do ANY worst than Oberto

bdictjames
02-01-2007, 12:50 PM
Soft

MrChug
02-01-2007, 12:55 PM
Talentless. And that "savvy experience" only gets you so far in the NBA. Lame...just LAME.

MoSpur
02-01-2007, 12:58 PM
I just saw that. I didn't realize. 0 points and 0 rebounds in 23 minutes. I can't believe it.

SAtown
02-01-2007, 12:59 PM
He better step it up tonight.

mardigan
02-01-2007, 12:59 PM
The guy has NO athletic ability, he was in position many yimes for rebounds last night, and more athletic players would just out jump him, out quick him, or take the ball away. He does nothing on either side of the ball, and I cant understand why Elson doesnt get his minutes

bigdog
02-01-2007, 03:10 PM
i hope he doesnt play alot tonight against the suns. there's no way he will run with them. and he will be guarding amare. crazyyyy. elson should have alot of minutes tonight if he doesnt get in foul trouble. wow our big men will be in trouble tonight besides Tim

johnpaulwall21
02-01-2007, 03:27 PM
I think elson would be good in this up tempo game but oberto is not gonna contribute unless he rides duncans coat tail and gets those easy layups when the defense colapses on duncan. Im more worried about the oldies, i know horry wont be alive tonight since its a back to back so its up to duncan and parker to carry the load and lets hope ginobili aint too tore up, cause were gonna need him to get 48 like that one sun game long ago. GO SPURS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CaptainLate
02-01-2007, 03:43 PM
The guy has NO athletic ability...He does nothing on either side of the ball, and I cant understand why Elson doesnt get his minutes

Pop probably resting Elson for tonight's game. But it won't matter. Suns by 15+ as they run the tired old Spurs into the ground and make SA understand that this team and rotation isn't going anywhere in the West this year.

cheguevara
02-01-2007, 03:45 PM
what ever gave you guys the idea Oberto is a starting Center :lol He is a decent backup center that's all. But Elson is no better, maybe worse. And Butler? please, Duncan will need a twinkie on a stick to get him to run to the other side of the court.

CubanMustGo
02-01-2007, 04:48 PM
After last night we can call him

0bert0

djohn14
02-01-2007, 04:52 PM
I'll have to disagree with cheguevara. If this team was the Cavs for example, Oberto would spend everyday on the inactive list. Even practice. Elson can't be worse than Oberto. He's a better shooter, finisher, and blocker. Not to mention he runs the court like a gazzele.

InAmerica
02-01-2007, 04:56 PM
Tonight you shall feel the fury of Oberto.

CubanMustGo
02-01-2007, 05:00 PM
Tonight you shall feel the fury of Oberto.

2 pts, 3 reb, and 6 PFs. :lol

SequSpur
02-01-2007, 05:02 PM
If Argentina's coach was running this team, they would probably be better. Pop doesn't know shit about a pick n roll or a screen for that matter... He couldn't teach a dog to drink water.

Testing
02-01-2007, 05:04 PM
He's too small and not phycial enough to match certain tough interior teams, hence why he gets pushed around in there so much. Elson on the other hand has the same problem despite his size....plus his defense is worse than oberto;s. Oberto's basically the lesser of two evils at this point.

objective
02-01-2007, 05:18 PM
now for my overreaction :

Oberto not only didn't get any rebounds, he had yet another start without a single blocked shot.

The only thing Oberto does is tip out o-rebounds. He never alters a shot let alone block one, he can't finish strong, he has problems defending the pick and roll, . . . he passes okay but that's something not needed from the center on this team.

Elson is only marginally better, but he barely blocks shots, has problems boxing out, can't set screens . . .

Both the players in the center rotation are horrible. It's a disgrace. I'd take Milsap over either of them any day of the week, and it's not just based on last night's game, he's proven over the season that he's light years ahead of them.

The Oberto/Elson combination is so poor that they make me long for Rasho. At least he could block shots. At least Mohammed could rebound. The current guys can't do any one thing well that helps the Spurs. No strong rebounding, no strong shotblocking, no strong defense.

I'd rather see Butler play. Now I don't like Butler as a player going back to last year, I feel he is overhyped without the potential people think he has. He's painfully slow (Oberto beat him up and down the court last season, that's pretty bad) and doesn't seem to have a clue in the brief garbage time he's been in this season.

But as little as I think of Butler I'd still rather see him play than Oberto/Elson. At least with Butler there's hope he could improve.

Oberto? He's not going to be any different in the playoffs, regardless of whether he starts and plays 30 minutes every game until then or sits inactive the whole season. He'll be 32 for the playoffs and he is what he is.

Elson meanwhile will be 31 in the playoffs and is exactly what I expected him to be based on his career: A 5 & 5 guy. That's it. He's no shotblocker. He's not a strong rebounder. He's not a force on defense. He is what he is, a career 5 & 5 player. I have a hard time seeing that change no matter how well he gets to know the system. He can run okay and will get a dunk every other game, but that's not enough.

Now Duncan can compare his Oberto/Elson combo with Robinson's Herrera/Smith combo. The only advantage Duncan has is that his guys have stayed mostly healthy.

And both Oberto and Elson will likely be around next year if Oberto exercises his option.

Bruno
02-01-2007, 05:40 PM
Oberto is slow, unathletic, undersized and can't jump but he isn't a bad rebounder.

The main problem with Elson and Oberto is that they are inconsistent :
- Oberto shows in some games his lack of physical skills. Against athletic players and/or when he hustle less, he doesn't look like a nba player.
- Elson sometimes look likes a guy that has never play some BB in his life.

When both have a bad game, it looks horrible. Rasho and Nazr were too inconsistent.

objective
02-01-2007, 05:44 PM
the only good games Oberto has had is when teams refused to guard him, like when he scored over 20 against the Suns and the 1st half of the second game against the Mavs where Dirk pretended he didn't exist.

Dirk41MVP
02-01-2007, 05:55 PM
... it still cracks me up how everybody in this board thought Oberto would be any better than nesterovic or/and nazr.

Unless people pretend he doesn't exist and they double team duncan (ala dumbass dirk) or he's flopping all over the place, the dude is as useless as thy come... The only thing I've seen him do OK is when Dirk apparently didn;t read the scouting report and would fall on Duncan's lap to double team him and pretended like he wasn't there, so he got some easy layups that way. Other than that he's good for a couple of flops every night, but that's about it.

SenorSpur
02-02-2007, 12:07 AM
He's a scrub. Why Pop continues to force feed him minutes is beyond me. This guy is useless. I was suspcious last year. It's confirmed this year.

NuGGeTs-FaN
02-02-2007, 12:11 AM
Use Butler. Hasn't curry shown that fat can be used to your advantage? :lol

Dirklooms
02-02-2007, 12:43 AM
his mullets gotta be worth something though.....

Texas_Ranger
02-02-2007, 01:09 AM
He is just not the guy for NBA.

Pugglekicker_21
02-02-2007, 01:44 AM
Heart is great, but from the bench not the floor

i wonder how the express news will approach oberto

MannyIsGod
02-02-2007, 01:45 AM
Fuck it, Ive finally come around to it...

I wish we had Rasho or Nazr right now. Thats how bad it is.