PDA

View Full Version : It's Time to Free Jackie Butler

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-01-2007, 01:55 PM
I don't care about the 'he's not ready' bullshit coming out of practice.

I've seen the kid play on the Knicks, and he deserves some run. Last night was about as crystal a statement as you can make about our center position right now.

Oberto is a scrub and should be relegated to towel waving duty. Elson, he's got some hope if he can ever figure out our defensive system.

But still, last night said one thing loud and clear - it's time to give Butler a chance. It can't get any worse, and who knows - he might just surprise every one.

01Snake
02-01-2007, 02:03 PM
Werd

Texas_Ranger
02-01-2007, 02:03 PM
Yea. Oberto and Elson are playing like shit right now.

Maddog
02-01-2007, 02:19 PM
Elson Last night 5 rebounds 10 minutes
Although not the greatest option- it seems like the Spurs should just play him extended minutes- learn on the job per se sink or swim with him...
Oberto doesn't have the athleticism or size to be a everyday center/Power Foward.

Butler career high 9 rebounds
Last year per 48 minutes 11.7 rebounds per game- relatively pedestrian
Alledgedly still not in great shape

anonymous source
02-01-2007, 02:21 PM
I Also Cant Understand Why Butler Doesnt Get A Shot. I Know He Still Very Young But We I Think He Should Be Given At Least 10 Miuntes A Game Just To See If He Has Anything To Offer.

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-01-2007, 02:23 PM
I wouldn't give him a big role, but about 10 mins per game would be nice.

boutons_
02-01-2007, 02:26 PM
To see Butler get PT now would certainly prove Pop is desperate, but does Pop think the situation is desperate?

Kori Ellis
02-01-2007, 02:26 PM
Although not the greatest option- it seems like the Spurs should just play him extended minutes...

Elson was so bad defensively last night, that keeping him out there another minute would have been a mistake. He seems to be regressing.

Das Texan
02-01-2007, 02:28 PM
Although not the greatest option- it seems like the Spurs should just play him extended minutes- learn on the job per se sink or swim with him...
Oberto doesn't have the athleticism or size to be a everyday center/Power Foward.

Butler career high 9 rebounds
Last year per 48 minutes 11.7 rebounds per game- relatively pedestrian
Alledgedly still not in great shape

did you even watch last night's game? We dont exactly have time to have someone learning on the job, especially when that someone is 30 years old.

Oberto may not have the athleticism, but Elson doesnt have the brain to be an everday center/power foward.

Spurminator
02-01-2007, 02:29 PM
Elson lucked into those 5 rebounds. He was horrible on the boards. At one point when he was the only player under the basket, he almost missed a rebound because he jumped too early.

Kori Ellis
02-01-2007, 02:30 PM
Elson lucked into those 5 rebounds. He was horrible on the boards. At one point when he was the only player under the basket, he almost missed a rebound because he jumped too early.

:lol That was actually funny. He did something weird and caught it on his way back down.

Das Texan
02-01-2007, 02:31 PM

ya i was like, what the fuck is this?

and then the ball somehow found his hands.

nkdlunch
02-01-2007, 02:34 PM
free him where? at an all you can eat buffet?

timvp
02-01-2007, 02:34 PM
I've given up on Butler playing this season. The way the contracts are arranged, the Spurs are going milk what they can out of Oberto, Elson and Horry over the next two seasons.

Then next summer, Oberto, Elson and Horry come off the books ... while Butler will have one more year and Scola will be a free agent. Mahinmi will also then be brought over.

That's the Spurs' plan. I don't think they would change the plan even if they flame out in the playoffs this year.

:depressed

Manu_The _Best
02-01-2007, 02:37 PM
I don't care about the 'he's not ready' bullshit coming out of practice.

I've seen the kid play on the Knicks, and he deserves some run. Last night was about as crystal a statement as you can make about our center position right now.

Oberto is a scrub and should be relegated to towel waving duty. Elson, he's got some hope if he can ever figure out our defensive system.

But still, last night said one thing loud and clear - it's time to give Butler a chance. It can't get any worse, and who knows - he might just surprise every one.

AGREE, LET'S GIVE HIM A CHANCE RIGHT NOW! :ihit :ihit :madrun :ihit :ihit

nkdlunch
02-01-2007, 02:48 PM
AGREE, LET'S GIVE HIM A CHANCE RIGHT NOW! :ihit :ihit :madrun :ihit :ihit

http://www.onliner.by/news/17.08.2006/11.25/017559.jpg

Budkin
02-01-2007, 02:49 PM
Pop is way too stubborn. He isn't going to play Butler this year. It sucks.

George Gervin's Afro
02-01-2007, 03:08 PM
Elson was so bad defensively last night, that keeping him out there another minute would have been a mistake. He seems to be regressing.

Kori what did you notice that leads you to believe he had a bad defensive game. I am not trying to be sarcastic but I'd like to know what you saw that leads you to your conclusion. I would think his athleticsm is needed.

Kori Ellis
02-01-2007, 03:12 PM
Kori what did you notice that leads you to believe he had a bad defensive game. I am not trying to be sarcastic way but I'd like to know what you saw that leads you to your conclusion.

He missed almost all his rotations, everybody easily blew by him, he didn't come over to help when he was supposed to, he didn't box out. It's the same every game but some games are more blatant.

He got benched when Millsap got an O board on a free throw. He got yelled at by Tim IIRC for not switching.

George Gervin's Afro
02-01-2007, 03:18 PM
He missed almost all his rotations, everybody easily blew by him, he didn't come over to help when he was supposed to, he didn't box out. It's the same every game but some games are more blatant.

He got benched when Millsap got an O board on a free throw. He got yelled at by Tim IIRC for not switching.

Damn I can't believe I missed that. We NEED his athleticism.

cheguevara
02-01-2007, 03:18 PM
free him where? at an all you can eat buffet?

:lmao

cheguevara
02-01-2007, 03:19 PM
Did you see when Horry yelled at Bowen for his defense? :lmao that was weird

Kori Ellis
02-01-2007, 03:23 PM
Did you see when Horry yelled at Bowen for his defense? :lmao that was weird

Yeah I think Horry had told Bowen on the court during the play that he was going to go double and for Bowen to take low block. Bowen, either didn't hear him or something because he didn't move at all and they got an easy layup.

Das Texan
02-01-2007, 04:15 PM
Yeah I think Horry had told Bowen on the court during the play that he was going to go double and for Bowen to take low block. Bowen, either didn't hear him or something because he didn't move at all and they got an easy layup.

those things happen from time to time.

not a huge issue.

now elson, the shocking thing would be for him to get things right for 2 minutes straight at this point.

SequSpur
02-01-2007, 04:17 PM
Butler is not the answer.

I think AHF has joined the Sequ Club. :smokin

Maddog
02-01-2007, 04:21 PM
I agree, but what other option is there-
Oberto- who even in postion doesn't offer much, Horry nearing AARP eligible etc.

Elson has had very limited time with the team- let him play and see if he "gets it down"
Nazr never did, Rasho did (not advocating his return), at this point I don't see a lot of options.

AFBlue
02-01-2007, 04:33 PM
It's definitely a thought, but one that I doubt the Spurs entertain. The biggest clue that it won't happen: Even with Matt Bonner injured, Pop lets Williams suit up over Butler. If Butler can't even dress out for a game, how likely do you think it is that he gets PT.

It sucks, but it's the facts.

baseline bum
02-01-2007, 04:33 PM
Jackie Butler looks really slow and uncoordinated when I've seen him in-game. He's not going to help at all. The way it looks right now, I think the Spurs only shot in hell of having a warm body at center is to take on a bad contract and ship out their ending deals.

AFBlue
02-01-2007, 04:36 PM
Jackie Butler looks really slow and uncoordinated when I've seen him in-game. He's not going to help much. The way it looks right now, I think the Spurs only shot in hell of having a warm body at center is to take on a bad contract and ship out their ending deals.

Before this thought goes any further....

26 MINUTES IN 5 GAMES!

How the hell can anyone make an assessment on that?!?

whottt
02-01-2007, 04:41 PM
Butler's appearances so far to date haven't left me clamoring to see more of him. I know he can play a lot better, but he's looked like a complete stiff out there with the Spurs. I think Pop told him not to expect to play much this year and Butler took him at his word and...isn't expecting to play this year.

He has not looked good with us, and he did look really good with the Knicks at times last year. Keep in mind he's a young kid still at the league's hardest position to learn, and he still doesn't have much experience outside of playing in blowouts.

I don't think Elson has played as bad as some think he has, but there's no doubt he played like crap against Utah. No hustle whatsoever and seemed content to stay completely out of the action. I think he didn't want to get in there and scrum against Milsap, Okur and Kirilenko. Okur in particular. And I think I figured out why he didn't get much PT with George Karl, inspute of his obvious athletic abilities.

Getting in there against Dirk is one thing...but those Utah guys don't screw around in the paint. I was also impressed with Duncan's performance against them and the patented Utah triple+ team in the paint.

Anyway, I think we need to figure out a way to use Elson against lighter players that aren't going to bang him around. We can call him a pussy or whatever, like we always do our C's, but I'd rather figure out a way to get something out of him...putting him on smaller players like SF's may be a way to accomplish that.

baseline bum
02-01-2007, 04:42 PM
Before this thought goes any further....

26 MINUTES IN 5 GAMES!

How the hell can anyone make an assessment on that?!?

At the Clippers game I went to, I saw him play the last 5:00 or so, and he looked pretty lethargic out there.

AFBlue
02-01-2007, 04:51 PM
At the Clippers game I went to, I saw him play the last 5:00 or so, and he looked pretty lethargic out there.

And had you been at the New Orleans game where he put up 4pts and 2rebs in 7mins on 2/3 shooting....what would you have thought then?

My point is that you, Whott, or anyone else is fooling themselves if they think they can accurately predict how this kid is gonna play if given...say 10MPG and a spot in the rotation.

I'm not saying the Spurs should do it, and I'm 99.9% sure they won't, but I don't think 25 minutes is an accurate predictor of someone's ability.

I personally think Butler could be a regular rotation player for at least 10 teams in this league right now.

Testing
02-01-2007, 05:01 PM
Butler looking bad has a lot to do with Pop's poor conditioning of him. You get a 21 year old coming from the haphazard NY Knicks and tell him first thing that you aren't going to get any minutes. Then you sit him down on the bench on IR an entire season, give him sporadic minutes in blowout games and expect him to produce?

iF HE'S FAT AND OUT OF SHAPE, YOU TELL HIM THAT IF HE GETS IN SHAPE, HE'LL GET MINUTES, YOU NEED to give young players motivation and Pop doesn't know how to do that. It only worked with Parker because that's his personality, look what happened to beno? now same thing is happening to butler before he's even given a chance. You need to groom ur young players by conditioning them and giving them a chance to play in real games and teach them as they go along...that's what he did to parker didnt he?

ChumpDumper
02-01-2007, 05:06 PM
What exactly has Butler down to deserve a rotation spot?

T Park
02-01-2007, 05:06 PM
Testing has zero clue on the situation oBviously.

ChumpDumper
02-01-2007, 05:10 PM
The Spurs will probably call up Greg Ostertag out of retirement before giving time to a guy who has reportedly shown nothing in practice. I like Butler but that's how this team works.

AFBlue
02-01-2007, 05:58 PM
It's just too bad this kid isn't d-league eligible...he'd be tearing it up and people would stop doubting his ability based on lack of production in the extremely limited he's been given.

The Truth #6
02-01-2007, 08:07 PM
I've given up on Butler playing this season. The way the contracts are arranged, the Spurs are going milk what they can out of Oberto, Elson and Horry over the next two seasons.

Then next summer, Oberto, Elson and Horry come off the books ... while Butler will have one more year and Scola will be a free agent. Mahinmi will also then be brought over.

That's the Spurs' plan. I don't think they would change the plan even if they flame out in the playoffs this year.

:depressed

If that's Pop's plan then he has even less imagination than I thought possible.

Russ
02-01-2007, 08:42 PM
He's 21 years old and he's got a dowagers hump. Not a good sign for NBA big men.

I like Elson. He's the best Dutch center the Spurs have had since Swen Nater.

joeyjfive
02-01-2007, 09:31 PM
In a game where its kinda of a slow tempo and the Spurs are getting banged around by the other team on the boards, I wouldnt mind seeing Butler out there. Maybe he can throw his big ass body into someone and get a rebound.