View Full Version : espn nba insider on tony parker

fred33
02-01-2007, 02:18 PM
someone can make the article?

MannyIsGod
02-01-2007, 02:20 PM
San Antonio Spurs | All Spurs sitelines

Parker Wouldn't Mind Playing As A Reserve
Tony Parker doesn't expect to hear his name tonight when the NBA announces its All-Star reserves. But Parker won't feel bad if he later gets a call from the league asking him to come to Las Vegas as a replacement. ... "It would not bother me at all," Parker said of going as a replacement. "The West is so loaded. With Allen Iverson coming to the West, making it hard for me, I need some help. If there was no Iverson, I think I would be one of the first two (reserve) guards chosen. "I don't care if I'm a sub. It's still All-Star." -- San Antonio Express-News

Kori Ellis
02-01-2007, 02:22 PM
Yeah it's just a link to the Express-News article ...

Spurs notebook: Parker wouldn't mind playing as All-Star reserve

Web Posted: 02/01/2007 12:38 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News

SALT LAKE CITY — Tony Parker doesn't expect to hear his name tonight when the NBA announces its All-Star reserves.

But Parker won't feel bad if he later gets a call from the league asking him to come to Las Vegas as a replacement.

The chances of either Parker or Manu Ginobili making the Western Conference All-Star team improved slightly Wednesday when the Utah Jazz announced forward Carlos Boozer has a hairline fracture in his left fibula head and would likely be sidelined at least a month.

Boozer, who is averaging 22.1 points and 11.8 rebounds, is expected to be named one of the West reserves. He wouldn't rule out playing in the Feb. 18 All-Star Game, but it's expected another player will fill his spot on the roster.

Yao Ming, who was voted the West's starting center, has already said he won't be able to play in the game.

The coaches must vote for two guards, two forwards, one center and two additional players of any position.

Phoenix's Steve Nash is a lock at guard. Dallas' Dirk Nowitzki and Boozer are expected to get forward spots and Phoenix's Amare Stoudemire is the favorite at center.

If Denver's Allen Iverson gets the other guard spot, the two at-large slots are expected to go to some combination of Dallas' Josh Howard, Phoenix's Shawn Marion and Denver's Carmelo Anthony.

NBA commissioner David Stern will select the two injury replacements. The top candidates for the positions figure to be Seattle's Ray Allen, Denver's Marcus Camby, the Los Angeles Clippers' Elton Brand, Portland's Zach Randolph, Ginobili, Parker and whatever player is left from Howard, Marion or Anthony.

"It would not bother me at all," Parker said of going as a replacement. "The West is so loaded. With Allen Iverson coming to the West, making it hard for me, I need some help. If there was no Iverson, I think I would be one of the first two (reserve) guards chosen.

"I don't care if I'm a sub. It's still All-Star."

Parker entered Wednesday averaging 18.8 points and 5.6 assists, nearly identical to the 18.9 and 5.8 he averaged last season as a first-time All-Star.

Ginobili's averages of 16.4 points and 4.5 rebounds are slightly better than two seasons ago (16.0 and 4.4) when he made the All-Star team. He's averaging 18.5 points and 5.1 rebounds in January.

Ginobili said he would be "honored" to be selected, but won't be overly disappointed if he isn't.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich didn't have to debate whether to include Parker or Ginobili on his ballot. Coaches cannot vote for their own players.

Barry still waiting: Brent Barry, ranked fourth in the NBA in 3-point accuracy before Wednesday's game, said he has yet to receive an invitation for the All-Star Shootout. The contestants are expected to be announced next week.

Kori Ellis
02-01-2007, 02:25 PM
Ginobili's averages of 16.4 points and 4.5 rebounds are slightly better than two seasons ago (16.0 and 4.4) when he made the All-Star team. He's averaging 18.5 points and 5.1 rebounds in January.

But in January, he shot only 43% from the field and 36% from 3. I don't know why Manu's shooting numbers dropped off so much from December.

mabber
02-01-2007, 02:44 PM
But in January, he shot only 43% from the field and 36% from 3. I don't know why Manu's shooting numbers dropped off so much from December.

I'd be really surprised if Ginobli was selected (even as a replacement) and I'd be really surprised if Parker wasn't selected (as reserve or replacement).

SenorSpur
02-01-2007, 02:59 PM

which means he should perhaps stop shooting so many threes.

wildbill2u
02-01-2007, 03:56 PM
For the 42 games this season he's shooting 45 and 39 which is marginally better but may not be enough to impress the coaches to pick him.

I doubt they'd pick both TP and Manu and with so many good guards in the West, it will be difficult to choose. I think Parker has the edge right now because of his shooting early in the season which was spectacular. People tend to remember that.

Kori Ellis
02-01-2007, 03:58 PM
I don't think they'll be room for either one of them on the AllStar team. But if there is, I think they'll pick Tony - just because I hear so many NBA coaches saying over and over that the key to stopping the Spurs is stopping his penetration.

SequSpur
02-01-2007, 03:59 PM
Manu is not an allstar, Ludden needs to step out of the church.

fred33
02-01-2007, 04:06 PM
I THINK TONY CAN MAKE THE ALL STAR TEAM WITH THE PICS OF STERN i'm sure ons spot of stern is for a center but the other i think it's a point guard . too shooting guard forward on the west team my seven all stars reserves are : nash iverson howard novitsky carmelo marion okur or parker

whottt
02-01-2007, 05:04 PM
Manu made the AS team a couple of years ago because he was an exciting and fun player to watch and he had some huge games against elite teams. That hasn't been the case as much this year, even though he's played well, and so I don't think he's going to make it. He hasn't had any 48 pt performances against the Suns or anything this time around. He had some really fantastic games the year he made the AS team.