PDA

View Full Version : Sean Elliott

Nero
02-01-2007, 09:53 PM
What was his playing style like? How good was he (compare to present day player)? Where does he rank on all time great Spurs list?

mookie2001
02-01-2007, 09:55 PM
ow thanks mohammad

Cant_Be_Faded
02-01-2007, 09:58 PM
Salmon helmet

whottt
02-01-2007, 10:16 PM
I'll compare him to a current Spur...he was a lot like Michael Finley, way better defensive player, not quite as good offensively as Finley was. Didn't have Finley's ability to put it on the floor and create his own J or dominate a game the way Finley can even now when he's hot...but he had a wicked baseline drive and awesome explosiveness to the basket. Was not clutch prior to the MDM.

He was never a truly dominant player, but I'd say he was one of the best SF's in the league for a couple of years when you are talking all around game.

He played hard and did what was asked of him, and the reason Spurs fans tend to hold him in such high regard, like Drob, has a lot more to do with who he was than actual basketball ability. He used to get a lot of tough defensive asignments(like Jordan) and do about as good a job as anyone.

A lot of Spurs fans will probably rate him as the best SF in team history but I think I've pretty much decideded that Bowen is better, because Bowen has been dominant on the defensive side of the ball. Elliott was a fantastic defender, and one of the best SF's of his era, but IMO, Bruce is one of the best non-bigmen defenders in NBA history, like probably top 5. IF you go by all NBA D teams Bruce is....

T Park
02-01-2007, 10:21 PM
Elliott was a Better overall player than Bowen.

His defense was not AS good, But pretty damn close.

Elliott was an all star. Unlike Bowen as well.

Extra Stout
02-01-2007, 10:34 PM
Sean Elliott was not unlike Richard Jefferson. Except Sean likes women.

exstatic
02-01-2007, 10:40 PM
Sean Elliott was not unlike Richard Jefferson. Except Sean likes women.
...and had a jumper that didn't frighten small children.

T Park
02-01-2007, 10:41 PM
Sean Elliott is whas way way Better than Jefferson, come on.

exstatic
02-01-2007, 10:43 PM
If Jefferson isn't in the NJ/NY market, he's Matt Barnes.

Extra Stout
02-01-2007, 10:44 PM
...and had a jumper that didn't frighten small children.
Well, nobody is exactly like Elliott.

Taco Cabana.

ShoogarBear
02-01-2007, 10:50 PM
One of the things I used to say about Elliott during his prime was that if NBA players could put together a video portfolio of their offensive capabilities, only MJ would have a more complete one.

He could drive and finish, dunk over anyone, or hit the outside shot. Larry Brown dogged him merciless as a rookie and made him into a good defender. At his peak he had no real weakness in his game on either end. His problem was lack of aggressiveness and mental toughness. It wasn't really shocking to see him miss two FTs in the clutch which lead to the Spurs losing game one of the 1995 WCF (which the new gentler, kinder whottt somehow refrained from mentioning).

I think the combination of his advancing kidney disease and the advent of Tim Duncan made Sean a much tougher player. After one big game in the 1999 season where he had a strong fourth quarter (I don't think it was the MDM) Mario Elie said something along the lines of, "the old Sean Elliott would have started the fourth quarter with 21 points, and finished it with 21 points".