PDA

View Full Version : Suprised no one has posted All-Star reserves yet

RonMexico
02-01-2007, 10:32 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=An1ilQe2PtfhQhOIAG9RZPg5nYcB?slug=ap-all-starreserves&prov=ap&type=lgns

Anthony snubbed, 3 Suns picked for All-Star game

By BRIAN MAHONEY, AP Basketball Writer
February 1, 2007

NEW YORK (AP) -- One bad night may have overshadowed all the good Carmelo Anthony has done this season.

The NBA's leading scorer was not among the seven reserves announced Thursday night for the Western Conference team that will play in the NBA All-Star game.

Denver teammate Allen Iverson was chosen, extending his streak of consecutive All-Star appearances to eight. He started the last seven games while playing for Philadelphia. Anthony, who is averaging 31.3 points but missed 15 games while suspended for his role in the brawl at Madison Square Garden, was the most obvious omission.

Earlier Thursday, Anthony said he hoped his suspension wouldn't prevent him from earning his first All-Star spot.

"I hope no one holds that over my head over anything," he said. "Things happen. One incident like that is held over one person's head, life ain't fair.

"I did my punishment. I could've easily kept my name out there by appealing it and doing other stuff about it, but I just did my 15 games suspension and hopefully put that behind us."

Steve Nash, Amare Stoudemire and Shawn Marion were all chosen from the Phoenix Suns, the league's highest scoring team. Suns coach Mike D'Antoni will lead the West.

"It will be great to be able to go with our coaches and teammates," said Nash, the two-time NBA MVP. "It will be great to have them there and have them be recognized, too."

Stoudemire, averaging 18.6 points and 8.9 rebounds, made it after sitting out most of last season because of knee surgery.

"It was a goal of mine," he said. "I told you guys that before the season started, back in training camp, that I was planning on making it. So I was really striving for it.

"The past two years have been tough for me and it's definitely paid off. There may be people who doubt you but you can never doubt yourself."

Dirk Nowitzki was the only player picked from the Dallas Mavericks, who have the league's best record. The Mavericks had been hoping Josh Howard would be selected as well.

"I think Dallas having the best record and only one guy, I thought that was surprising," D'Antoni said.

Detroit and New Jersey had multiple reserves picked for the Feb. 18 game. Chauncey Billups and Richard Hamilton, who both made their first appearances last season, are going back, and Jason Kidd and Vince Carter will represent the Nets in the game at UNLV's Thomas & Mack Center.

"I'm happy that Rip made it, too, because he's having a career year," Billups said. "If I only made it, a piece of me would've been disappointed. I've always felt like we're a package deal."

Indiana's Jermaine O'Neal and first-timers Dwight Howard of Orlando and Caron Butler of Washington round out the East reserves.

The seven reserves were voted on by the head coaches in their respective conferences. Coaches couldn't vote for their own players, and had to select two forwards, two guards, a center and two players regardless of their position.

The remainder of the West reserves were San Antonio guard Tony Parker and Utah forward Carlos Boozer.

The starters were announced last Thursday. LeBron James, Shaquille O'Neal, Chris Bosh, Dwyane Wade and Gilbert Arenas were picked in the East. Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, Yao Ming, Tracy McGrady and Kobe Bryant were voted in by fans to start for the West.

Anthony still has a chance to play in Las Vegas. NBA commissioner David Stern will choose a replacement for Yao, who is still recovering from a broken bone under his knee, and Boozer also could be unavailable because of a hairline fracture in his left leg.

He's expected to miss a few weeks, but said Thursday he hopes to return in time for All-Star weekend. He doesn't know when he would need to resume running for that to happen.

"Hopefully if everything works out, it will be right on time," he said. "I'll put it like that."

Anthony and Josh Howard are the most likely replacement choices, but could face competition for those spots from Seattle's Ray Allen, Portland's Zach Randolph, the Clippers' Elton Brand and another Denver player, Marcus Camby.

Stern said he expected to make his decision in the next few days, and that when doing so he wouldn't consider the suspension he gave Anthony for the punch the Denver star hit the Knicks' Mardy Collins with on Dec. 16.

D'Antoni will lead the West squad, because Dallas coach Avery Johnson is ineligible after coaching last season. The same three Suns were chosen as reserves to the 2005 game.

"I'm sure they'll be out there at some time but I haven't thought about it," D'Antoni said. "I'm thinking about San Antonio and Utah and everyone else in between."

Washington's Eddie Jordan is close to clinching the East coaching spot, largely because of the play of Butler. The forward is averaging 20.6 points and 8.0 rebounds, both career highs.

"Coach Jordan gave me more and more freedom and I really thought I had a chance," Butler said. "I dedicated my time last summer and look what came out of it. I couldn't be happier with this, but I know there is still work to be done."

AP Sports Writers Pat Graham in Denver and Doug Alden in Salt Lake City contributed to this report

RonMexico
02-01-2007, 10:34 PM
I thought Howard would be picked and Amare would replace Yao, but it's probably gonna be the other way around. I hope someone else gets in and Boozer sits, even though Boozer deserves it.

u2sarajevo
02-01-2007, 10:44 PM
Tony Parker was a wildcard selection..... over Josh Howard....

?????

The Mavericks suck.

dallaskd
02-01-2007, 10:46 PM
J-HO definately got robbed. hes better than T-park but i dont mind parker in there. he deserves it.

Greg Oden
02-01-2007, 11:26 PM
Melo again? I hope he rapes the league and averages 45 the rest of the season.

Flopper
02-01-2007, 11:29 PM
Melo doesn't screwed himself for the pussy slap.

Greg Oden
02-01-2007, 11:31 PM
Melo doesn't screwed himself for the pussy slap.

fuck you

just be glad the tallest pussy in the world is from China.

Greg Oden
02-01-2007, 11:32 PM
and he deserves an all-star spot just as much as anybody

JMarkJohns
02-01-2007, 11:38 PM
I can't believe Ray Allen was snubbed. I think Allen deserves the nod over Carmelo and Howard over any big, though Randolph is very deserving.

TDMVPDPOY
02-01-2007, 11:50 PM
okur should be on the team imo as a reserve or replace yao

amare is a fuckn joke, htf did he get in when his stats are not that fantastic even though his comin back from injury but he shouldnt get in that fuckn easy.

if caron butler gets in, i see no reason why josh howard cant get in, as long joe johnson is not in im happy, this dude is so fuckn overrated its not funny, ginoboli>jj

NuGGeTs-FaN
02-01-2007, 11:53 PM
The NBA announced its All-Star reserve squads Thursday night, and let’s just say David Stern can thank his lucky stars that Yao Ming and Carlos Boozer are injured.

Not that the Commish would want to see any player hurt and unable to participate in the midseason classic.

But at least now Stern will get to pick two replacements – and correct the injustice done by the league’s coaches who somehow left off Denver’s Carmelo Anthony and Dallas’ Josh Howard.

Anthony and Howard were two of four guys who got the royal shaft. The other two were from the East: Atlanta’s Joe Johnson and Chicago’s Luol Deng.

Clearly there were other deserving players. One could make a case for Marcus Camby (Nuggets), Elton Brand (Clippers), Baron Davis (Warriors), Ray Allen (Sonics), Kevin Martin (Kings), Zach Randolph (Blazers) and Mehmet Okur/Deron Williams (Jazz) in the West, and Emeka Okafor (Bobcats), Eddy Curry (Knicks), Ben Gordon (Bulls), Tayshaun Prince (Pistons), Antawn Jamison (Wizards) and Andre Iguodala (Sixers), among others, in the East.

But while those guys might have been All-Star worthy, they weren’t more deserving than the guys that made it.

Only the four guys mentioned above have a legitimate reason to call the FBI and demand an investigation.

Johnson is one of the NBA’s top 10 scorers (24.7 ppg.) and he’s been a consistent force all season. It’s not his fault the Hawks stink. He should have been on over one of the Pistons guards.

Deng has been the most consistent two-way player for a Bulls team that has been near the top of the East all season. Gordon would have been a fine choice as well, but he faced a much more crowded field at guard. Deng, who is shooting a ridiculous 52 percent from the floor (while consistently knocking down the mid-range jumper), should have been on the forward list instead of Vince Carter, who has failed to lift the Nets above .500.

Of course, neither Johnson nor Deng should feel too badly about not getting in. Were Paul Pierce and Michael Redd not injured, they would have made the team anyway. Then there wouldn’t have been room for anybody else on the East.

But the snubs that will get the most attention for sure are those of Anthony and Howard. The coaches obviously held Anthony’s suspension for fighting against him. Otherwise the Nuggets forward – and NBA’s leading scorer – would have been a shoo-in. Howard, meanwhile, should have made it because he’s become a key two-way contributor for a Dallas squad that has been the NBA’s best all season.

Fortunately for Stern, he won’t have to worry about it. By adding Anthony and Howard, he will be able to end all the controversy soon enough. He should send Yao and Boozer a thank-you note, or maybe tickets to a Vegas show during All-Star Weekend.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_blogs/nba/2007/02/stern-needs-to-right-this-wrong.html

RonMexico
02-02-2007, 01:31 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_blogs/nba/2007/02/stern-needs-to-right-this-wrong.html

Exactly. Howard should get it in. I thought Amare would replace Yao. I bet people voted for Amare simply because he was the second-leading vote getter at center.

ponky
02-02-2007, 01:38 AM
HAHAHA!!!! 5 all-stars from the two teams playing tonight and only one for the best team in the west...fuck giving jho the subsitute consolation prize, he doesn't need that kudos, avery wants that team to stay HONGRY, especially my boy JHO!

all-star reserves?

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f85/peanut45/who_fuckin_cares_big.jpg

RonMexico
02-02-2007, 02:43 AM
Hollinger has a "fix"

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/allstar2007/insider/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&id=2751487

What he is saying makes sense to me. I think Marion got in because of those "swing votes" of people who chose him over Howard when comparing the two supporting players.

Let's not forget that Marion went to UNLV and most coaches saw a chance to let him return. The 3-way tie Hollinger describes seems very likely, although I could even see a Howard/Brand tie with Melo and Randolph bringing up the bottom at like 4/5 votes apiece.

J.T.
02-02-2007, 03:52 AM
I'm with Steve Kerr. "J-Ho" is the dumbest fucking nickname in the history of the NBA. Dumber even than the obsession with attaching whatever the fuck you could think of to the word "Romo" from all the Cowboys homers.

ponky
02-02-2007, 04:30 AM
Hollinger has a "fix"

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/allstar2007/insider/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&id=2751487

What he is saying makes sense to me. I think Marion got in because of those "swing votes" of people who chose him over Howard when comparing the two supporting players.

Let's not forget that Marion went to UNLV and most coaches saw a chance to let him return. The 3-way tie Hollinger describes seems very likely, although I could even see a Howard/Brand tie with Melo and Randolph bringing up the bottom at like 4/5 votes apiece.

of course it makes sense to you, you're a freakin' suns fan, duh!

how could we forget, you're always telling us what to do?

btw, most coaches saw a chance to let him return?!?!?!?! :LMAO :LMAO :LMAO

RonMexico
02-02-2007, 05:24 AM
of course it makes sense to you, you're a freakin' suns fan, duh!

how could we forget, you're always telling us what to do?

btw, most coaches saw a chance to let him return?!?!?!?! :LMAO :LMAO :LMAO

Seriously, you think coaches don't read newspapers? That was one of the big things when they were determining who should be on the team and one of the reasons people were lobbying for Marion is that it's in Las Vegas. You think coaches don't have a sense of loyalty to players and their alma maters/hometowns?

I'm pretty sure a lot of voters intended to get Josh Howard in the game, but Hollinger's explanation of how he and Brand, etc. got snubbed makes sense to me. I didn't clarify that I thought he probably hit it on the head - voters wanted 2 guards and 4 forwards on the reserves, but the forward pool was so deep that Parker and Iverson snuck in. I don't really care about his "fix" and I don't think it would ever happen like that.

If you want to know the truth, I was more concerned with Marion not making it than Amare because I thought Amare (being the 2nd most-voted center) would be promoted by Stern to replace Yao. I think it will all work out with Boozer and Yao gone for a few of the guys that got snubbed.

RonMexico
02-02-2007, 05:25 AM
I'm with Steve Kerr. "J-Ho" is the dumbest fucking nickname in the history of the NBA. Dumber even than the obsession with attaching whatever the fuck you could think of to the word "Romo" from all the Cowboys homers.

Yeah - at least someone besides me thinks it sucks so I don't get picked on exclusively.

ponky
02-02-2007, 06:12 AM
Seriously, you think coaches don't read newspapers? That was one of the big things when they were determining who should be on the team and one of the reasons people were lobbying for Marion is that it's in Las Vegas. You think coaches don't have a sense of loyalty to players and their alma maters/hometowns?

I'm pretty sure a lot of voters intended to get Josh Howard in the game, but Hollinger's explanation of how he and Brand, etc. got snubbed makes sense to me. I didn't clarify that I thought he probably hit it on the head - voters wanted 2 guards and 4 forwards on the reserves, but the forward pool was so deep that Parker and Iverson snuck in. I don't really care about his "fix" and I don't think it would ever happen like that.

If you want to know the truth, I was more concerned with Marion not making it than Amare because I thought Amare (being the 2nd most-voted center) would be promoted by Stern to replace Yao. I think it will all work out with Boozer and Yao gone for a few of the guys that got snubbed.

Whatever, let's not make thin-skinned Marion cry. JHO's a man, he doesn't need to make the All-Stars to affirm his game even though they'll probably give him a consolation prize anyway.

JMarkJohns
02-02-2007, 08:17 AM

amare is a fuckn joke, htf did he get in when his stats are not that fantastic even though his comin back from injury but he shouldnt get in that fuckn easy.

if caron butler gets in, i see no reason why josh howard cant get in, as long joe johnson is not in im happy, this dude is so fuckn overrated its not funny, ginoboli>jj

You really don't know basketball.

Okur over Amare? Please...

Okur's stats: 17.6 ppg, 7.4 rpg and 0.6 bpg on 46.5% FG
Amare's line: 18.7 ppg, 9.2 rpg and 1.5 bpg on 60.1% FG

Amare's stats are better across the board, so if they aren't impressive then there's no way in Hell Okur should get the nod over him.

Also, if Joe Johnson's top-10 average of 25 ppg to go with 4+ rpg, 4+ apg and 1+ spg on 48% from the field and 39% from range is overrated, sign me up for a piece of that. He may not be deserving of his fat contract, but he sure as hell was deserving of an All-Star nod.

MacGyver
02-02-2007, 08:38 AM
This must be painful for Anthony!

LB7
02-02-2007, 09:38 AM
Yeah - at least someone besides me thinks it sucks so I don't get picked on exclusively.
Standing Tall And Talented is pretty dumb itself...but what nicknames aren't a little dumb?

Purple & Gold
02-02-2007, 12:19 PM
Amare and Marion are undeserving. Although with Amare it's more understandable because of how weak the center position is.

MrChug
02-02-2007, 12:25 PM
and he deserves an all-star spot just as much as anybody

Your Mom deserves a spot on the all trick roster. As a starter. Stop cussing at people, it shows your age and intelligence kid.

mabber
02-02-2007, 01:02 PM

Wow, do you even watch games? :lol

mabber
02-02-2007, 01:07 PM
Exactly. Howard should get it in. I thought Amare would replace Yao. I bet people voted for Amare simply because he was the second-leading vote getter at center.

I'm glad Howard didn't get picked. Like I said last month, he'll use the snub to motivate him even more. It won't matter if Stern picks him as an injury replacement either. That dude walks around with such a huge chip on his shoulder for not getting drafted until late in 1st round. This is just something else to drive him the rest of the year and the offseason.

RonMexico
02-02-2007, 01:17 PM
I'm glad Howard didn't get picked. Like I said last month, he'll use the snub to motivate him even more. It won't matter if Stern picks him as an injury replacement either. That dude walks around with such a huge chip on his shoulder for not getting drafted until late in 1st round. This is just something else to drive him the rest of the year and the offseason.

Yeah I said that like 3 days ago - another reason I wanted him to get picked, so he wouldn't have extra motivation. Whereas Marion would crawl into a self-depracating shell for not being picked, Howard would use to whip some ass. Something I'd hoped we could avoid.

Still, people who say Marion is undeserving are just ignorant and one of the reasons fan voting needs to go out the window. What other small forward grabs that many rebounds, blocks that many shots, and steals that many balls in the league? None - the exact reason he's on the all-star team.