What was Finley's +/- tonight? :lol

BeerIsGood!
02-02-2007, 01:02 AM
What was Finley's +/- tonight? :lol

I'm guessing astronomically low in the - column

Leetonidas
02-02-2007, 01:02 AM
Our play is atrocious.

I don't even care if the Spurs are a #8 seed so long as they finally get there heads out of their asses and play good in the playoffs because right now they're playing no where near the level they can.

sprrs
02-02-2007, 01:04 AM
Pop was pimping up Elson in summer so that we could use him for EXACTLY these types of situations.......why aren't we using him?

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-02-2007, 01:05 AM
When Pop went to his small ball lineup it was 87-84 Phoenix.

Final score: 103 - 87.

Give me a fucking break Pop. Especially with Elson playing some fantastic defense on Diaw in the third and early fourth. :pctoss

timvp
02-02-2007, 01:08 AM
It's hard for me to blame the coaching staff when every bigman on this team sucked tonight. In theory it'd be nice to not play small, but when the bigs are playing horrible -- what can you do?

whottt
02-02-2007, 01:09 AM
Yeah, the funny thing is that Elson was making a difference just by being big...

Amazing how that works.

Kori Ellis
02-02-2007, 01:09 AM
When Pop went to his small ball lineup it was 87-84 Phoenix.

Final score: 103 - 87.

Give me a fucking break Pop. Especially with Elson playing some fantastic defense on Diaw in the third and early fourth. :pctoss

:lol @ fantastic defense.

Elson was getting screamed at every second for sucking so much on D.

Anyway, if the Spurs ever get a real big man outside of Tim Duncan, they can stop playing small.

timvp
02-02-2007, 01:10 AM
:lol @ fantastic defense and Elson in the same sentence.

Spurs fans get confused when Elson accidentally blocks someone. Elson was horrible tonight in every area of basketball.

whottt
02-02-2007, 01:11 AM
It's hard for me to blame the coaching staff when every bigman on this team sucked tonight. In theory it'd be nice to not play small, but when the bigs are playing horrible -- what can you do?

Oh come on...even with Elson still feeling the effects of some of Amsterdam's finest, it was better than smallball. We got back in the game and the Suns suddenly couldn't score or get so many damn rebounds.

Uh uh...that won't fly tonightl. It was smallball that killed us tonight. Period. No ifs ands or buts.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-02-2007, 01:12 AM

This is bullshit LJ. Elson was playing great D on Diaw in the third and fourth, he even had a couple of blocks.

We were toe to toe in the fourth with Elson in. Pop took him out for Finley and Phoenix went on a 16-3 run.

BIG IRISH
02-02-2007, 01:12 AM
They have 2 in Europe that are a lot better than what is on the bench/floor

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-02-2007, 01:13 AM

Spurs fans get confused when Elson accidentally blocks someone. Elson was horrible tonight in every area of basketball.

He forced Diaw into a couple of bad shots and followed it up with a couple of blocks.

You're a huge fan of the +/-, let's see it for Elson.

MannyIsGod
02-02-2007, 01:14 AM
Nah, Elson have several possesions where he played very good D in the 3rd. He got called for a block that was a charge after making a good rotation, he played Diaw straight up several times, and he got several blocks.

Don't get me wrong, he has a long way to go, but the fact is he showed signs of life. If we're going to do anything this year its going to be with Elson playing in there. Thats just the way it is. Chances are its not going to be good enough, but at some point you better start setting him up with the best chance to succeed and that involves playing him more than Oberto and not playing Finley in his spot.

Aggie Hoopsfan
By the way, to clarify, Elson sucked in the first half when in. But he held down Diaw and helped the Spurs get back in the game in the 2nd half.

ChumpDumper
If we are never ever ever ever ever ever ever going to play Eric Williams no matter how much the other swingmen suck, get someone who may play in the next two years.

MannyIsGod
02-02-2007, 01:15 AM
He forced Diaw into a couple of bad shots and followed it up with a couple of blocks.

You're a huge fan of the +/-, let's see it for Elson.Those numbers aren't going to be good considering how awful he was on offense and he spotty his good D was, so I'm not sure I'd want to to trumpet those numbers if I were you.

:lol

Nero

Yeah, Finley is so much better. Elson at is worst is a better option than Fin.

Aggie Hoopsfan
Those numbers aren't going to be good considering how awful he was on offense and he spotty his good D was, so I'm not sure I'd want to to trumpet those numbers if I were you.

Yeah, with his play in the first half, it'll probably be a wash. time to go look at the play by play.

SequSpur
02-02-2007, 01:16 AM
WGAF... The spurs blow.

ShoogarBear
02-02-2007, 01:17 AM
If we are never ever ever ever ever ever ever going to play Eric Williams no matter how much the other swingmen suck, get someone who may play in the next two years.Really, WTF? Can Eric Williams be worse than what we have been having out there most nights?

timvp
02-02-2007, 01:19 AM
Elson was horrible on offense. How many times did he either fumble the ball, get in Duncan's way or miss a one foot layup? Did he do anything good offensively the whole game?

Defensively he was poor, too. His rotations were non-existant. The only time he was effective was when a player tried to take him off the dribble. He had no defensive rebounds and would have had no rebounds total if he could hit a layup.

It's amazing Spurs fans have sunken so low that a bigman who is worthless on offense, doesn't rebound, can't guard a player on the post and can't rotate on defense is seen as a savior. He can do one thing well ... and that's guard someone who isn't trying to post him up. Outside of that, Elson has been worthless since he's come back from his injury.

ChumpDumper
02-02-2007, 01:20 AM
Really, WTF? Can Eric Williams be worse than what we have been having out there most nights?I really think we can exchange four players with the Toros and not get any worse.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-02-2007, 01:21 AM
Looks like he was +3 tonight Manny (Elson).

ShoogarBear
02-02-2007, 01:22 AM
I really think we can exchange four players with the Silver Stars and not get any worse.Fixed.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-02-2007, 01:23 AM
He can do one thing well ... and that's guard someone who isn't trying to post him up.

Sorry LJ, you've called me out before and accused me of not watching the game. It's my turn to do so to you. Phoenix tried to get it to Diaw multiple times in the post, and came away with nothing (with Elson guarding him).

SilverPlayer
02-02-2007, 01:26 AM
Elson showed signs of life, which made all of the difference. His D was there and it showed. He was good enough out there to deserve to finish the game.

Williams needs to take Finley's place in the lineup now.

MannyIsGod
02-02-2007, 01:26 AM
Actually there were several rotations that were good. Both of his fouls were charges. i watched him get position on both outside of the circle and I watched him pick up 2 fouls. He made several blocks off of rotations.

He didn't play very much, so when you take that into consideration his D wasn't that bad tonight. I'm not sure if you DVRed it, but go back and watch Elson play. I'm not saying he played GREAT D, but it wasn't nearly as poor as your making it out to be.

His offense was absolutely horrible though.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-02-2007, 01:28 AM
Elson was +3 in 11 minutes. Finley was at least -13 in the last 5 minutes of the game.

timvp
02-02-2007, 01:28 AM
Looks like he was +3 tonight Manny (Elson).

Try -1.

MannyIsGod
02-02-2007, 01:29 AM
Look, the fact is that Oberto is useless. Does anyone here think we're going to win shit with Oberto playing? I get sick of seeing him. I think he's smart and clever, but he's way too fucking slow and he can't jump. His best rebounding move is a fucking tap out because he can't jump to control the ball.

So fuck it, actaully give Elson real minutes. Not this 12 minutes a game shit. Lets see what he can do as the Spurs center. If he sucks after 10 games or so, then fuck it, try Bonner for major minutes. If that doesn't work then fuck it, go with Finley.

But the fact is that we have nothing to lose right now. Nothing! Just roll the dice. Whats the worst that can happen/

MannyIsGod
02-02-2007, 01:30 AM
Well -1 isn't half bad considering how bad on offense he was.

jbspurs
02-02-2007, 01:31 AM
I think POP is turning into offense minded coach. Small ball=no defense :depressed

ShoogarBear
02-02-2007, 01:31 AM
See, even Manny hates Eric Williams.

ChumpDumper
02-02-2007, 01:32 AM
Actually if Elson was -1 for a game there should be a river parade.

SequSpur
02-02-2007, 01:32 AM
How do you break down anything in this game? the Spurs panicked... started jacking up shots, went to Bruce Bowen for offense and got blown out in the last few minutes...

Suns > Spurs.

Check the Scoreboard.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-02-2007, 01:33 AM
Try -1.

You're right, damn NBA's PBP is weird.

Anyway, still...

You're talking about a -1 Elson vs. watching us getting outscored 16-3 with Finley in there as part of the stupid ass small ball lineup.

timvp
02-02-2007, 01:34 AM
Sorry LJ, you've called me out before and accused me of not watching the game. It's my turn to do so to you. Phoenix tried to get it to Diaw multiple times in the post, and came away with nothing (with Elson guarding him).

I just re-watched the 8-minute span that Elson was on the court in the third and fourth quarter. You must be smoking something pretty damn good to come up with your conclusions.

First of all, out of those eight minutes, Diaw was sitting on the bench for five of those minutes. When he was out there, Diaw tried to go one-on-one against Elson on the wing and missed a jumper (that's not a post up). Then Elson had a block on him from behind (again, not a clean post up). And then Diaw got an easy layup against him in the post.

So the Almighty Elson held Diaw to two points in three minutes. Let's hold a river parade :jack

MannyIsGod
02-02-2007, 01:34 AM
See, even Manny hates Eric Williams.I would love to see E Will play ASAP. Really, can he do any worse? At this point I really don't see any reason not to play Butler either. I'm almost ready to call for James White. Why not?

I feel the way you felt about Denver playing Jay Cutler.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-02-2007, 01:36 AM
Diaw also missed a turnaround from the baseline, and stuffed Marion at the rim too.

The point still remains, he played serviceable. I guess you're happy with Finley coming in and watching the lead go from 3 to 16 to end the game...

timvp
Actually if Elson was -1 for a game there should be a river parade.

We both posted to hold a river parade for Elson.

Sounds like a plan. We'll have Elson have his token blocked shots so Spurs fans get excited and thing he's good.

Nero
Look, the fact is that Oberto is useless. Does anyone here think we're going to win shit with Oberto playing? I get sick of seeing him. I think he's smart and clever, but he's way too fucking slow and he can't jump. His best rebounding move is a fucking tap out because he can't jump to control the ball.

So fuck it, actaully give Elson real minutes. Not this 12 minutes a game shit. Lets see what he can do as the Spurs center. If he sucks after 10 games or so, then fuck it, try Bonner for major minutes. If that doesn't work then fuck it, go with Finley.

But the fact is that we have nothing to lose right now. Nothing! Just roll the dice. Whats the worst that can happen/

cosigned

thewatcher
02-02-2007, 01:37 AM
guys... the +/- are almost worthless, the roland ratings of www.82games.com represent the reality better, just look at them and compere them with you watch

MannyIsGod
its not that Elson is good. Its that everyone else is worse????

ChumpDumper

We both posted to hold a river parade for Elson.

Sounds like a plan. We'll have Elson have his token blocked shots so Spurs fans get excited and thing he's good.I'm serious though. I'm genuinely excited about mere suckage from one of our "centers."

Holt's Cat
02-02-2007, 01:38 AM
Shit, DRob could come out of the stands and play in his Bruno Maglis or whatever and do better than these chumps.

ploto
02-02-2007, 01:38 AM
The worst part of small ball is watching it played with the lone big as Elson or Oberto.

ShoogarBear
02-02-2007, 01:39 AM
If the Spurs could get a +/- of just -1 from 3 or 4 of our bench players, they'd be in pretty good shape.

timvp
02-02-2007, 01:39 AM
Diaw also missed a turnaround from the baseline, and stuffed Marion at the rim too.

The point still remains, he played serviceable. I guess you're happy with Finley coming in and watching the lead go from 3 to 16 to end the game...

The "turnaround from the baseline" is the shot in which Diaw tried to go one-on-one against Elson. The Marion block was after Elson failed to grab a rebound. Elson had no defensive rebounds and was getting outrebounded by the likes of Marcus Banks.

Finley sucks too but don't try to pretend Elson did things he didn't. He sucked just like all the other bigs sucked. Finley at least was a capable perimeter threat offensively in theory. Elson offensively was a threat to ignite a fast break for the Suns.

Kori Ellis
02-02-2007, 01:40 AM
The worst part of small ball is watching it played with the lone big as Elson or Oberto.

Yeah I die through the minutes that Oberto is on the floor with 4 smalls.

Aggie Hoopsfan
its not that Elson is good. Its that everyone else is worse????

Yep.

Elson sucks.
Oberto sucks worse.
Finley at the four downright sucks donkey balls.

SenorSpur
Really I don't know why the fuck Pop would trade for a guy like EWill and not give him some minutes - especially when the guys ahead of him are sucking. Oh wait. I forgot. Obtaining EWill was purely a salary cap move.

It would make better sense that running Finley's ineffective ass out there every game.

Seriously, this team does miss Bonner's contributions though. We all knew Horry would be gassed tonight.

whottt
Yeah I've been meaning to mention this but...+/- isn't intended to be used on a game by game basis...sure you can and it's interesting, but even small sample size of games is pretty much useless to truly evaulate using +/- stats.

Nero
02-02-2007, 01:41 AM
guys... the +/- are almost worthless, the roland ratings of www.82games.com represent the reality better, just look at them and compere them with you watch

I agree. It's interesting to see that the Roland Ratings shows how unbalanced our team is with TD, Man, Parker being way better than the rest. You can see the same with another unbalanced team -- Timberwolves and how +/- doesn't differ as much with balanced teams like Detroit, Utah, and Chicago.

Mavschick
I don't get why people have made out this game to be the definitive answer in terms of whether the Suns are better than the Spurs. Isn't the season series tied at 1-1? Wasn't the win in November proof that the Spurs could run and gun with the Suns? I'd take the Spurs over the Suns in a 7-game series any time.

Holt's Cat
Fuck it. Elson is shit and Pop overall has been dealt a shit hand. Leave it to AHF to make it out to be Pop's fault.

jbspurs
02-02-2007, 01:42 AM
:lol @ fantastic defense.

Elson was getting screamed at every second for sucking so much on D.

Anyway, if the Spurs ever get a real big man outside of Tim Duncan, they can stop playing small.

C'mon! Elson played pretty good tonight. His offense sucks, but at least he was active playing defense.

timvp
02-02-2007, 01:43 AM
Yeah I've been meaning to mention this but...+/- isn't intended to be used on a game by game basis...sure you can and it's interesting, but even small sample size of games is pretty much useless to truly evaulate using +/- stats.

Yeah saying the +/- will prove how well Elson played is as funny as Elson turning out to have a negative +/- :rollin

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-02-2007, 01:44 AM
Fuck it. Elson is shit and Pop overall has been dealt a shit hand. Leave it to AHF to make it out to be Pop's fault.

I don't disagree with you about the crappy hand, but Pop's not even maximizing what he has to work with.

Honestly, at this point, it'd almost be worth missing the playoffs if it would wake up some of the SA faithful that worship Holt and Co. and hold their feet to the fire.

Watching us piss away Duncan's career at this point so Holt can build a bigger caterpillar is fucking sickening.

whottt
02-02-2007, 01:45 AM
Man things were more difficult for the Suns with Elson in the game...at least compared to Finley...IDGAF who was hitting their rotations, those guys were just shooting and rebounding over Finley.

phxspurfan
If I were Pop and we were sure about not making a trade, I would put Manu on a running regimen to build stamina and have him play 40+ mis/night. Parker would play 43+ mins and TD 40/night. We would be the Pistons of 06-07 but this would give us a chance. Like Larry Brown I would put zero faith in our bench until they give us a reason to play them.

Aggie Hoopsfan
Yeah saying the +/- will prove how well Elson played is as funny as Elson turning out to have a negative +/- :rollin

Kinda like saying a guy who was -1 sucks when the alternative that was singled out in this thread was -13.

timvp

The Roland Rating is worthless in regards to the Spurs because Bowen plays small forward on offense and shooting guard on defense. Manu plays shooting guard on offense and small forward on defense. Duncan plays power forward on offense and center on defense.

Thus you can't compare the PER stats correctly using that formula.

Holt's Cat
How the fuck do you do anything more with this crew? You don't. It's like the Spurs went to sleep in 2003 and now it's 2007. Fuck Holt that cocksucking sheepfucker.

Nero
Finley sucks too but don't try to pretend Elson did things he didn't. He sucked just like all the other bigs sucked. Finley at least was a capable perimeter threat offensively in theory.

What?? 47 games is enough to debunk that theory. Finley is absolutely horrible on offense. I'd take my chances with Elson jacking shots over Fin. And you're ignoring that Elson is a much better rebounder -- we got outrebounded by a bad rebounding team by 10 tonight.

Kori Ellis
02-02-2007, 01:46 AM
If I were Pop and we were sure about not making a trade, I would put Manu on a running regimen to build stamina and have him play 40+ mis/night. Parker would play 43+ mins and TD 40/night. We would be the Pistons of 06-07 but this would give us a chance. Like Larry Brown I would put zero faith in our bench until they give us a reason to play them.

Manu could probably play three games in a row at 40 minutes and then have to take the next 3 weeks off.

phxspurfan
02-02-2007, 01:46 AM
look at the minutes tonight. Marion, Stoudemire and Nash all played extended minutes. Why can't we ever have the courage to do so as well?

Kori Ellis
02-02-2007, 01:47 AM
What?? 47 games is enough to debunk that theory. Finley is absolutely horrible on offense. I'd take my chances with Elson jacking shots over Fin. And you're ignoring that Elson is a much better rebounder -- we got outrebounded by a bad rebounding team by 10 tonight.

He's not saying that Finley is a good option. He's just saying that Elson didn't play well.

phxspurfan
02-02-2007, 01:47 AM
Put Manu on a reggie miller or rip hamilton regimen. hell, have him hang out with bowen when he does his cardio. and spell him with icebaths after games like major league baseball players. I'm sure he could handle it if we needed it from him...

Nero
02-02-2007, 01:49 AM
Man things were more difficult for the Suns with Elson in the game...at least compared to Finley...IDGAF who was hitting their rotations, those guys were just shooting and rebounding over Finley.

Or how about when rail thin AK called for the ball and backed Fin all the way under the rim. That was pathetic.

ChumpDumper
look at this minutes tonight. Marion, Stoudemire and Nash all played extended minutes. Why can't we ever have the courage to do so as well?The only guy who might have been able to play more is Parker. I'm fine with that.

timvp
Kinda like saying a guy who was -1 sucks when the alternative that was singled out in this thread was -13.

Uh ... Finley came in the fourth quarter for Brent Barry. Pop didn't put Finley in for Elson.

Try again.

Holt's Cat
02-02-2007, 01:50 AM
Damn. Remember when the Spurs actually tried to improve their talent?

whottt
02-02-2007, 01:50 AM
Man this is ridiculous...

Just tell fucking Elson to go get in front of someone on D...chances are he'll be bigger...and it's better than smallball.

We do we do well when we play smallball these days?

We don't score, we get pushed around...

It is useless. Period. I never want to see it played again...I'd rather Pop just run 4 down for the entire game.

phxspurfan
02-02-2007, 01:52 AM
I guess I'm just hoping that the Spurs can refine their rotations enough to at least decide to play either Beno or Vaughn, Finley or Barry etc. Playing 4/5 guys off a second rate bench just blows our leads every game and is detrimental to team chemistry. Barry especially seems to be missing more open jumpers than he makes right now.

Nero

This is a good idea. If you're going to spend big money on 3 very good players, you should make it worthwhile by playing them a lot. If not, we'd be better off having TD + several solid players. I almost think that we should trade either Manu or Parker. Both are creators, but there's only 1 ball. I think we'd do better with one of them and a couple of solid players that play well off the ball and can log heavy minutes.

SequSpur
yeah, we gave up 2 dunks and 2 straight layups, so Pop went small ball... WTF?

Pugglekicker_21
02-02-2007, 01:54 AM
PLAY THE YOUTH! Who cares if it blows away the rest of the seasn? would you rather get bounced out as a lower seeded team by some youthful team or have a chance to draft someone in the lottery. Thats how bad my faith is, or maybe im paranoid.

timvp
02-02-2007, 01:54 AM
I'm as anti-small ball as the next Spurs fan, but a big is going to have to play well enough to earn it.

Oberto obviously has flamed out or is on mental vacation or whatever. Elson has sucked since his injury. That said, I'd go with Elson and pray that he learns the ropes. Oberto doesn't try hard enough consistently and doesn't have much room to get better.

I'm all for going with Elson ... but first you have to give him minutes and have him produce. He can't block one shot or have one dunk and all of a sudden earn crunch time minutes. Play 1/10th as well as he did in game one of the season and I'd want him to play 30 minutes a night.

phxspurfan
02-02-2007, 01:55 AM
This is a good idea. If you're going to spend big money on 3 very good players, you should make it worthwhile by playing them a lot. If not, we'd be better off having TD + several solid players. I almost think that we should trade either Manu or Parker. Both are creators, but there's only 1 ball. I think we'd do better with one of them and a couple of solid players that play well off the ball and can log heavy minutes.

right up until the point where you said trade, parker and manu in one sentence I agreed. You trade any of the three and we instantly become second tier NBA and lose our playoff seed.

Holt's Cat
02-02-2007, 01:55 AM
How low we have sunk.

phxspurfan
02-02-2007, 01:56 AM
How low we have sunk.

...to #3 in the league. pobrecito.

Holt's Cat
02-02-2007, 01:57 AM
...to #3 in the league. pobrecito.

Placebo you.

THE SIXTH MAN
02-02-2007, 01:57 AM
PLAY THE YOUTH! Who cares if it blows away the rest of the seasn? would you rather get bounced out as a lower seeded team by some youthful team or have a chance to draft someone in the lottery. Thats how bad my faith is, or maybe im paranoid.
James White was in uniform tonight. Pop should have gave him some minutes when we were already losing.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-02-2007, 01:58 AM
Uh ... Finley came in the fourth quarter for Brent Barry. Pop didn't put Finley in for Elson.

Try again.

My bad, I guess we closed the gap with Finley in there...

Holt's Cat
02-02-2007, 02:00 AM
What a fucked up situation. Spurs stuck with worthless supporting cast because of ownership's fear of long term deals for the supporting cast, but the team won't play the young talent because they are trying to win now.

aaronstampler
02-02-2007, 02:00 AM
how does anyone know the +/- so quickly, what's the website? I use popcornmachine.net, but it doesn't get updated til the next day. Does somebody have a better one?

Kori Ellis
02-02-2007, 02:01 AM
how does anyone know the +/- so quickly, what's the website? I use popcornmachine.net, but it doesn't get updated til the next day. Does somebody have a better one?

I think they just counted it themselves in the play-by-play.

Nero
02-02-2007, 02:03 AM
right up until the point where you said trade, parker and manu in one sentence I agreed. You trade any of the three and we instantly become second tier NBA and lose our playoff seed.

I said Parker OR Manu. I'm all for giving them more minutes, but if they physically can't Spurs should look nito a trade. Why, because it's unthinkable that there are other good players in the league? Just think, we get 30 minutes of good basketball from Manu a night. We could acquire 2 solid players and play them for 35 minutes each giving us 70 min of solid basketball that help us in rebounding and defense. Parker will just have to create more, which I'm sure he can do. TP doesn't play too well off the ball anyway, so when Manu has it he mostly stands around.

Man In Black
02-02-2007, 03:06 AM
Okay-So they lost. We see some obvious issues with athletecism and such. But BFD. I still don't think those cats could be the Spurs in a 7 game series. The outcome of that game was in doubt until the last 2 mins of the game. Given a chance to mentally prepare and physically rest, I see the Spurs taking them out if they meet...4-2.

As long as the team is healthy, the big 3 is scoring, and Bruce gives max effort on D, then this team has a legit shot.

phxspurfan
02-02-2007, 01:15 PM
I said Parker OR Manu. I'm all for giving them more minutes, but if they physically can't Spurs should look nito a trade. Why, because it's unthinkable that there are other good players in the league? Just think, we get 30 minutes of good basketball from Manu a night. We could acquire 2 solid players and play them for 35 minutes each giving us 70 min of solid basketball that help us in rebounding and defense. Parker will just have to create more, which I'm sure he can do. TP doesn't play too well off the ball anyway, so when Manu has it he mostly stands around.

manu wins games. soild ball players out there for 35 minutes a night gets us blown out by the teams with players like Manu on them.

phxspurfan
02-02-2007, 01:16 PM
Okay-So they lost. We see some obvious issues with athletecism and such. But BFD. I still don't think those cats could be the Spurs in a 7 game series. The outcome of that game was in doubt until the last 2 mins of the game. Given a chance to mentally prepare and physically rest, I see the Spurs taking them out if they meet...4-2.

As long as the team is healthy, the big 3 is scoring, and Bruce gives max effort on D, then this team has a legit shot.

im confident this team will sack up come playoff time and handle the suns in 6.

itzsoweezee
02-02-2007, 03:00 PM
it's very simple: play elson.

how many failures will it take to get it through popovich's thick head the small ball is worthless. it has NEVER WORKED and it never will.

diego
02-02-2007, 04:47 PM

at least try the rest of the roster before taking this route. thats what the reg. season is for. eric williams is a good candidate for the smallball 4, yet pop has played him 15 minutes total in the season. surely he can box out, contest jumpers, and rebound for 15mpg?

ata
02-02-2007, 04:57 PM
It exactly coaching staff to blame and nobody else. If one player plays bad, blame the player, if whole team plays like bunch of amateurs, blame coaching staff.
Coaching staff "helped" with trades, they co-decided FA contracts, they are responsible for the team.

FUCK SMALL BALL

Spurs Brazil
02-02-2007, 07:49 PM
Elson/Oberto are TERRIBLE

F.Spencer was better in 2000

Those two guys would be in IL all year in the past Spurs teams

1Parker1
02-02-2007, 08:03 PM
Yeah I die through the minutes that Oberto is on the floor with 4 smalls.

Weird. I die through the minutes that Elson is on the floor with 4 smalls.

I also literally laugh out loud at the horrible, horrible, horrible screens he sets for Parker and Ginobili. I don't understand, Steve F*cking Nash sets better screens than Elson. The guy sets like Half screens or something, before it's even fully set he's already moving somewhere else (out of position might I add).

I am sure it must be killing Pop to see Elson's defense out there. He must really be desperate and know it since he continues to play him, however. Make a damn trade, Pop!

Cant_Be_Faded
02-02-2007, 08:09 PM
Remember how excited we all were about Elson after game 1? LOL, seems so surreal...

whottt
02-02-2007, 08:14 PM
I wasn't sold on Elson at all after the first game, but the way TimVP was hyping him up after that first game convinced me that Elson was going to be a decent player.

Rare case of TimVp clearly misjudging a player's talent and getting the boards hopes up needlessly.

NuGGeTs-FaN
02-02-2007, 08:14 PM
? why doesnt Elson start? I know Elson has been pretty bad lately but Oberto is ten times worse. Its clear the Spurs arent going to make a trade, so why not shake the frontline up again?

timvp
02-03-2007, 03:00 AM
Rare case of TimVp clearly misjudging a player's talent and getting the boards hopes up needlessly.

I thought Elson was a scrub and was pissed when the Spurs signed him. I was wrong, though.

I didn't expect him to be this bad.

Kori Ellis
02-03-2007, 03:13 AM
Weird. I die through the minutes that Elson is on the floor with 4 smalls.

I also literally laugh out loud at the horrible, horrible, horrible screens he sets for Parker and Ginobili. I don't understand, Steve F*cking Nash sets better screens than Elson. The guy sets like Half screens or something, before it's even fully set he's already moving somewhere else (out of position might I add).

I am sure it must be killing Pop to see Elson's defense out there. He must really be desperate and know it since he continues to play him, however. Make a damn trade, Pop!

I laugh out loud at that too. I don't understand why he can't set a screen. He misses completely. He's already moving and gone before it's time for the screen to be set. It's the weirdest thing I've seen on a basketball court in a long time. About one out of 30 times he gets it right. :lol

It's like he is just learning how to play basketball. What was he doing in Denver?

Kori Ellis
02-03-2007, 03:20 AM
This is a funny thread

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52915

Look how excited people were about Elson. The funniest lines are about how fast he picked up the D. :lmao

Sad.

NuGGeTs-FaN
02-03-2007, 03:25 AM
It's like he is just learning how to play basketball. What was he doing in Denver?

sitting on the bench :lol j/k

In Denver there was no real pick 'n' roll or anything. Elson suited the Nugget style. Denver makes players look better (eg Steve Blake 19/14 tonight :smokin )

I hate seeing him underperform in San Antonio and i hope it changes

BgT
02-03-2007, 03:29 AM
You were all punked. :lol

I was wrong.
I underestimated how slow Nazr and Rasho were and how much of a difference it would make to have a center who can run.
Elson was awesome tonight. He's the most agile Spurs center since David Robinson circa 1995 and that alone makes a huge difference defensively and offensively.
Thank you Francisco Elson for being better than I ever dreamt possible.

whottt
02-03-2007, 03:32 AM
I found nothing humorous at all about that thread.

NuGGeTs-FaN
02-03-2007, 03:41 AM
i'll just use the excuse that Frankie is like the rest of the Spurs and he is waiting till the playoffs to step up :lol

wildbill2u
02-03-2007, 12:23 PM
guys... the +/- are almost worthless, the roland ratings of www.82games.com (http://www.82games.com/) represent the reality better, just look at them and compere them with you watch
I went to the site the other day and noticed the Roland Ratings. But I couldn't find out what the rating is made up of> Do you have any idea?

Or is this just a rating by some dude named Roland?:rolleyes

wildbill2u
02-03-2007, 12:34 PM
I laugh out loud at that too. I don't understand why he can't set a screen. He misses completely. He's already moving and gone before it's time for the screen to be set. It's the weirdest thing I've seen on a basketball court in a long time. About one out of 30 times he gets it right. :lol

I read somewhere that his basketball career actually didn't start until he was much older than most players. I don't think he's had much more than 4 years experience at all although he's been a substitute at Denver. His BB knowlege and experience is almost nil.

timvp
02-03-2007, 12:34 PM
This is a funny thread

Look how excited people were about Elson. The funniest lines are about how fast he picked up the D. :lmao

Sad.

:lol :shootme

I wish that Elson would have just gotten better and better because I want the Spurs to win. If he could have built on that game and just improved at a steady pace, he'd be pretty damn good.

But instead, as of right now, Elson is looking like a one hit wonder. I knew there was a reason that timvp hated the signing. I'd gladly be wrong on this topic ... but it looks like the only thing I did wrong was apologize too early.

:depressed

boutons_
02-03-2007, 12:37 PM
"It's like he is just learning how to play basketball."

Just another tall man recruited into basketball, and having some athleticism, who is too fucking stupid to learn fundamentals, and who really has NO idea what's going on out there.

Without the athleticism, Rasho was a better bball player for the Spurs system, he could set screens, he could see a driving play developing and block out/clear the driver's path, as Tony acknowledged. On defense, he could see the offense requiring him to rotate, get into position, and would take responsibility for defending the paint. Rasho has his own weakness, but he is better bball player than Elson.

Kori Ellis
02-03-2007, 12:38 PM
I read somewhere that his basketball career actually didn't start until he was much older than most players. I don't think he's had much more than 4 years experience at all although he's been a substitute at Denver. His BB knowlege and experience is almost nil.

He played basketball at University of California and then has played professionally for over 7 years since then.

He should be able to set a screen.

baseline bum
02-03-2007, 12:41 PM
:lol :shootme

I wish that Elson would have just gotten better and better because I want the Spurs to win. If he could have built on that game and just improved at a steady pace, he'd be pretty damn good.

But instead, as of right now, Elson is looking like a one hit wonder. I knew there was a reason that timvp hated the signing. I'd gladly be wrong on this topic ... but it looks like the only thing I did wrong was apologize too early.

:depressed

At least my post in that thread was on target...

Spurs_title = Elson > ((Rasho + Nazr) << 1) ? 1:0;

sets Spurs_title = 0 (false) as it stands now

Spurs #23
02-03-2007, 06:07 PM
[COLOR=Blue][COLOR=Blue]it kills me to see pop take out his only chance to win and play his top 3 a mere sensitive and over pampering avg. 33 mins a peice i mean come on !!! our roster outside of tim manu n parker rivals that of the trailblazers !!! why on earth would we go small!!!!! in the closing mins of the game !!!! does pop think he can turn 8 peenies into 8 silver dollars???? lets face it our team needs a overhaul NOW small ball has to go our supporting cast should alll feel embarrassed of themselves and to look at the stats after the game and GIVE back thier paychecks back to RC and HOLT so we get guys who can acttually make a open shot from the "FREE"throw where the closest defender is 10ft away!!!! smothering Tim ... it hurts to see my team like this!!! :bang

The Truth #6
02-03-2007, 06:50 PM
Small ball in theory isn't bad. It's being small, old, unathletic, and unable to play defense and rebound. Other than that, yeah it's great.

Budkin
02-04-2007, 12:41 AM
This is a funny thread

Sad.

That night seems like so freaking long ago...