PDA

View Full Version : Libby Trial

Nbadan
02-02-2007, 01:11 AM
Very interesting testimony going on here getting minimal M$M coverage...

The "CIA leak" trial resumed today, after two critical days of testimony from reporters Judith Miller and Matt Cooper. As in past days, E&P will provide running updates here.

After a long day or legal wrangling and no witnesses, an FBI agent took the stand shortly before 3 p.m. She is Deborah Bond, a 19-year veteran, called into the probe of who may have leaked name of classified agent.

She described the bureau's interview with I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby on Oct. 14, 2003. Asked where he first learned of Ambassador Joe Wilson's wife, Valerie Plame, he had told the FBI then -- from the vice president, on or about June 12 that year, in a telephone conversation.

Vice President Cheney had also said that she worked in "CP" or counter-proliferation at the agency. How did Cheney know this? From someone at the CIA -- possibly director George Tenet, but Libby wasn't sure.

How to explain Libby originally claiming he had first heard about Wilson's wife from NBC's Tim Russert in July? He had simply forgotten he had actually heard it from the vice president a month or more earlier, Libby said. But Libby's notes, produced by prosecutors during this testimony, did show notations from June 12 regarding Wilson's wife. And Libby later confirmed this in a second FBI interview.

Editor and Publisher (http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003540604)

Reports that Armitage was the 1st leaker maybe wrong. The M$M screwed this one up again if it turns out that Cheney disclosed Plame's identity before Armitage told Woodard in "mid June", as Woodard stated. All we need to know now is what Woodard meant by "Mid-June". If this "Mid-June" turns out to be a date later than June 12th, 2003 (The date Cheney told Libby), then Cheney is the leaker...or...hummmm........

PixelPusher
02-02-2007, 01:15 AM
And this is the group of people you think orchestrated a grand conspiracy to blow of the WTC?

01Snake
02-02-2007, 01:23 AM
And this is the group of people you think orchestrated a grand conspiracy to blow of the WTC?

:lol

Nbadan
02-02-2007, 01:25 AM

they were off their game?

It's gonna be decades before we put this all together.

01Snake
02-02-2007, 01:26 AM
Dude, you really are an idiot aren't you?

Nbadan
02-02-2007, 01:33 AM
Dude, you really are an idiot aren't you?

No, I am a truth-seeker.

:hat

01Snake
02-02-2007, 10:15 AM
No, I am a truth-seeker.

No. You're just in idiot. And thats the truth.

clambake
02-02-2007, 11:20 AM
I think the WH fabricated the notion of sacrificing libby to save rove. I think it's to protect Cheney. Rove screwed the pooch in the last election and he would be easy to fire. Cheney can't simply be fired, he was elected. I think they're trying to prevent Cheney's removal. Bush would collapse without that madman's support.

johnsmith
02-02-2007, 11:23 AM
No, I am a truth-seeker.

If you were a "truth-seeker" then you'd do some of the research into all this stuff on your own, not just read what others have wrote and assume it's a fact.

I've read all the websites and watched all the video's as well, does that make me a "truth-seeker".

boutons_
02-02-2007, 12:22 PM
"Cheney can't simply be fired"

The Nov mid-terms showed the US voters overwhelmingly "firing" dubya and dickead, their bullshit war.

If the Dems had any balls, they'd impeach both of them and get the pre-WTC and pre-Iraq war lies, crimes, derelictions of duty out in the open and into the Congressional record and history books.

johnsmith
02-02-2007, 12:23 PM

The Nov mid-terms showed the US voters overwhelmingly "firing" dubya and dickead, their bullshit war.

If the Dems had any balls, they'd impeach both of them and get the pre-WTC and pre-Iraq war lies, crimes, derelictions of duty out in the open and into the Congressional record and history books.

Overwhelmingly?

Nbadan
02-04-2007, 04:32 AM
The 'Psychosis' of reality...how the tempest in the teapot in boiling all over Cheney..

Why Dick Cheney Cracked Up
By FRANK RICH

In the days since Dick Cheney lost it on CNN, our nation’s armchair shrinks have had a blast. The vice president who boasted of “enormous successes” in Iraq and barked “hogwash” at the congenitally mild Wolf Blitzer has been roundly judged delusional, pathologically dishonest or just plain nuts. But what else is new? We identified those diagnoses long ago. The more intriguing question is what ignited this particularly violent public flare-up.

The answer can be found in the timing of the CNN interview, which was conducted the day after the start of the perjury trial of Mr. Cheney’s former top aide, Scooter Libby. The vice president’s on-camera crackup reflected his understandable fear that a White House cover-up was crumbling. He knew that sworn testimony in a Washington courtroom would reveal still more sordid details about how the administration lied to take the country into war in Iraq. He knew that those revelations could cripple the White House’s current campaign to escalate that war and foment apocalyptic scenarios about Iran. Scariest of all, he knew that he might yet have to testify under oath himself.

Mr. Cheney, in other words, understands the danger this trial poses to the White House even as some of Washington remains oblivious. From the start, the capital has belittled the Joseph and Valerie Wilson affair as “a tempest in a teapot,” as David Broder of The Washington Post reiterated just five months ago. When “all of the facts come out in this case, it’s going to be laughable because the consequences are not that great,” Bob Woodward said in 2005. Or, as Robert Novak suggested in 2003 before he revealed Ms. Wilson’s identity as a C.I.A. officer in his column, “weapons of mass destruction or uranium from Niger” are “little elitist issues that don’t bother most of the people.” Those issues may not trouble Mr. Novak, but they do loom large to other people, especially those who sent their kids off to war over nonexistent weapons of mass destruction and nonexistent uranium.

Ny Times (http://select.nytimes.com/2007/02/04/opinion/04rich.html?pagewanted=print)

boutons_
02-04-2007, 09:39 AM
dubya, scooter, puto, condi are all stooges for dickhead, who is the de facto president, which explains how the Repug mucky mucks would push dubya for prez in first place, primarily as the "Bush" brand-name, with the understanding that dickhead would be veep, knowing that dubya's naivete, simplicity, ignorance, political incompetence and inexperience, etc would be compensated for by dickhead pulling all the strings, calling all the plays, defining the strategy, from the bogus Iraq war, tax cuts, protecting/enriching the oilcos, driving out career professionals in all branches of govt to be replaced by Repug henchman and industry lobbyists.

There is no doubt that puto purging US attorneys so late in the term to be replaced by Repug puppets is also dickhead's way of protecting corrupt Repug criminals across the nation.

Ya Vez
02-04-2007, 10:47 AM
should congress impeach themselves for giving the president the authority to go to war?

boutons_
02-04-2007, 01:47 PM
"should congress impeach"

There should intense hearings on the WHIG and the run up to the Iraq war, to show how Congress, esp the Dems, were duped by the cherry-picked intelligence, by the classified/suppressed serious doubts by NatSec about ALL the cherry-picked intelligence.

WHIG/Exec hyping and misrepresenting the case for war places the vast majority of the blame on the Exec, not on the rubber-stamping Congressional Repugs or the bullied and intimidated Dems and press.

There should also be hearings on the fatal dereliction of Exec duty in the months before 9/11. The Exec allowed 9/11 to happen. Americans have been willingly bamboozled with "there was NO WAY to stop 9/11 (which probably came straight out of dickhead's group)". Willing because most people don't ever want to believe the Exec being asleep at the wheel (while savoring their tax cutting success) was the real enabler of 9/11.

However, as the vast majority of Americans have turned against the Exec due to the Iraq war, I bet a lot more a willing to ask and hear that the Repugs fucked up badly in the months before 9/11, allowing it to happen.

I don't believe the Exec set charges in WTC, but I can fully believe that dickhead and neo-cunts would not put 100% of the Exec's energy into fending off an attack, because they were looking for a reason to start the Iraq war, which is what an attack on the US would provide.

That is why dickhead repeatedly lied for a couple years after 9/11 that Saddam was involved in 9/11, even after dubya came out and said Saddam was not involved in 9/11. For his twisted, perverted, evil, insane mind, dickhead knew, as soon as it happened, that 9/11 was the perfect reason to start the bogus Iraq war. Saddam = jihad terror/Al Quaida was exactly what dickhead was looking for.

The Libby trial is exposing how crazy dickhead and his people went when Wilson published his article exposing the yellowcake bullshit as bullshit.

Clandestino
02-04-2007, 02:00 PM
No. You're just in idiot. And thats the truth.

too funny!

and THE TRUTH!

Clandestino
02-04-2007, 02:01 PM

The US Voters showed us they believed in G W BUSH by electing him TWICE! so stfu and put your tin hat on straight.

boutons_
02-04-2007, 02:19 PM
Clanny, you're moving from serious to silly, like whott

"electing him TWICE!"

Lost the popular vote by 600K in 2000, one of the extremely rare times the popular vote did not correspond to the electoral vote.

In 2004, re-elected by the smallest margin ever for a sitting prez, even with the bullshit help of "I'm THE WAR PRESIDENT" derived from his bullshit, fake, bogus Iraq war that was started, March 03 as "the immediate and the only option", as a Repug presidential campaign tactic.

2 years later, in 2006, the vast majority of US had turned against the Repugs in Congress and the the Exec, and fired them for their bullshit Iraq war, which was the dominant issue in the campaign and still is.

You're talking to ME as if I were some ignorant, dumbfuck red-state sheeple/rabble?

Ya Vez
02-04-2007, 02:22 PM
gore conceded... get over it.... lol

boutons_
02-04-2007, 02:24 PM
??

600K more for Gore is a fact, no matter what Gore did.

Ya Vez
02-04-2007, 02:29 PM
facts are so hard for some to understand...

Election of President of the United States and Vice President of the United States is indirect. Presidential Electors are chosen by the popular vote every four years on Election Day. Although ballots list the names of the presidential candidates, voters within the 50 states and the District of Columbia are actually choosing Electors from their state when they vote for President and Vice President. These Presidential Electors in turn cast the official (electoral) votes for those two offices.

clambake
02-04-2007, 02:31 PM
Bush is the worst thing that EVER happened to this country. Trust me, we're not challenging your intelligence.

boutons_
02-04-2007, 03:05 PM
technicalities of anachronistic Electoral college, yawn.
Do you really think I don't know how it works?

600K more for Gore is a fact, no matter what Gore did.

and of course you didn't address the Nov 2006 election where, Repug re-districting notwithstanding, the Repugs lost both houses, clearly, at the very least, a resounding vote of no-confidence in dubya/dickhead, even outright protest at how the Repug Exec is running the country, and fucking up in Iraq.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-04-2007, 08:44 PM
Looks like Corso needs to realize you can't jack off into someone's koolaid constantly and get away with it, CORRRSSOOO

Nbadan
02-06-2007, 02:22 AM
Newsweek: The CIA Leak: Boring In on the Veep

Feb. 12, 2007 issue - The Scooter Libby trial has put a new focus on Vice President Dick Cheney's own role in the leak of CIA officer Valerie Plame Wilson's identity. When the CIA on July 11, 2003, sent over a draft statement taking responsibility for President George W. Bush's inaccurate assertion that Iraq had sought uranium from Africa, Cheney wrote on the cover sheet "Unsatisfactory" and underlined the word, according to a trial document. The veep thought the agency wasn't going far enough in distancing Cheney's office from the trip by Joseph Wilson (in which the ex-ambassador claimed he'd debunked the uranium shopping reports). "The vice president was frustrated and upset," Libby told the FBI, according to Deborah Bond, an FBI agent who later questioned Libby on the leak.

The next day, aboard Air Force Two, Libby and Cheney talked media strategy, Bond said. "There was some discussion ... about whether they should report to the press that Ambassador Wilson's wife worked at the CIA," Bond testified that Libby told her. Bond added that Libby said "they may have talked about it." This is the first suggestion that Cheney himself talked about disclosing Wilson's wife's identity to the press as a way of undercutting Wilson's credibility.

MSNBC (
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16960657/site/newsweek /)

...more...

and here's the Whoreshington Post:

Vice President's Shadow Hangs Over Trial

Vice President Cheney's press officer, Cathie Martin, approached his chief of staff, I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, on Air Force Two on July 12, 2003, to ask how she should respond to journalists' questions about Joseph C. Wilson IV. Libby looked over one of the reporters' questions and told Martin: "Well, let me go talk to the boss and I'll be back."

On Libby's return, Martin testified in federal court last week, he brought a card with detailed replies dictated by Cheney, including a highly partisan, incomplete summary of Wilson's investigation into Iraq's suspected weapons of mass destruction program.

Libby subsequently called a reporter, read him the statement, and said -- according to the reporter -- he had "heard" that Wilson's investigation was instigated by his wife, an employee at the CIA, later identified as Valerie Plame. The reporter, Matthew Cooper of Time magazine, was one of five people with whom Libby discussed Plame's CIA status during those critical weeks that summer.

After seven days of such courtroom testimony, the unanswered question hanging over Libby's trial is, did the vice president's former chief of staff decide to leak that disparaging information on his own?

ChumpDumper
02-06-2007, 02:33 AM
1) Your puns suck.

2) Do you honestly think this trial is going to have any real effect on Cheney in anyway?

Nbadan
02-06-2007, 02:38 AM
1) Your puns suck.

2) Do you honestly think this trial is going to have any real effect on Cheney in anyway?

I've always been in the camp that thought Cheney would finish out his term, but given the testimony in the Libby trial, I'm seriously starting to have my doubts. My guess is the key will be Rove and Cheney's testimony.

boutons_
02-06-2007, 10:53 AM
February 6, 2007

Mr. Cheney, Tear Down This Wall

By NICHOLAS D. KRISTOF

At the Republican National Convention in 2000 that nominated him for vice president, Dick Cheney told a rapturous crowd that Democrats “will offer more lectures, and legalisms, and carefully worded denials. We offer another way, a better way, and a stiff dose of truth.”

( and then dubya and dickhead went on immediatly to dissemble, misrepresent, hype half-truths and lie from the instant they took office to day they leave office )

So, Mr. Cheney, now that the Scooter Libby trial is raising doubts about your own integrity, you owe the nation an explanation. Here are a few questions to help frame your explanation of your activities:

Mr. Vice President, did you push Mr. Libby to dig into Joe Wilson’s background and discredit him?

Mr. Libby made such a major effort to gather materials from the C.I.A. and State Department about Mr. Wilson — both before and after you told him on June 12, 2003, that his wife worked at the C.I.A. — that it seems likely that you commanded the effort. True?

What did you mean when you wrote, in a note to Scott McClellan that has been entered into evidence, “not going to protect one staffer + sacrifice the guy the Pres. that was asked to stick his head in the meat grinder because of incompetence of others.”

First, you wrote that it was “the Pres.” who had asked Mr. Libby to do this, and then you crossed out those two words. Did President Bush indeed ask that Mr. Libby take charge of the effort to discredit Ambassador Wilson? And is it true, as was hinted at in the trial, that the White House tried to block the release of this document?

When you discussed Joe Wilson with Mr. Libby on Air Force Two on July 12, 2003, what instructions did you give him?

Trial testimony indicates that on that flight, Mr. Libby looked over some questions a reporter had sent in about Mr. Wilson and then said: “Let me go talk to the boss and I’ll be back.” After consulting with you, Mr. Libby later called reporters to feed them a skewed version of Mr. Wilson’s trip.

Mr. Cheney, on that plane, did you specifically tell Mr. Libby to leak to reporters the fact that Mr. Wilson’s wife worked at the C.I.A.?

Deborah Bond of the F.B.I. has testified that Mr. Libby acknowledged in one of his interviews that on that flight, he might have talked to you about whether to tell the news media about Valerie Wilson. So did he?

Since Mr. Libby is renowned for his caution, it seems highly unlikely that he would have leaked classified information twice to reporters right after talking to you, unless you had sanctioned the leak.

During the leak investigation, were you aware that Mr. Libby was telling the F.B.I. apparently false information?

You rode to work with him nearly every day in your limousine, and the issue never came up? Or did you ask Mr. Libby to protect you because you didn’t want it known that in fact you were the one who had told him about Ms. Wilson? Was there some other information you wanted kept secret?

Were you trying to cover up your own reliance on misinformation about Iraqi W.M.D. by blaming the C.I.A. and anybody else within range, like Mr. Wilson?

More than anybody, Mr. Vice President, you made the argument in the run-up to the war that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction. And one senses, in the indictment and the trial testimony, that by the early summer of 2003, there was panic in your office that the W.M.D. had failed to materialize.

So when Ambassador Wilson came forward, you seem to have been infuriated. You tried to blame the C.I.A., and then your office tried to discredit Mr. Wilson by arguing that he had simply enjoyed a junket arranged by his wife.

Robert Grenier, a C.I.A. official, told the court that he thought the White House was “trying to avoid responsibility for positions that they took with regard to the truth about whether or not Iraq had attempted to acquire uranium from Niger.” So did this all arise from an attempted cover-up?

So when are you going to come clean?

When Richard Nixon was accused of misusing campaign contributions in 1952, he gave his famous Checkers speech. When questions rose about Spiro Agnew’s conduct in 1973, he repeatedly addressed them in public. (Look, you know you’re in trouble when the press tries to hold you to the same standards of transparency and integrity as Nixon and Agnew.)

http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

I’m not accusing you of committing a crime. But there are serious questions here, and you owe the nation not legalisms, but that “stiff dose of truth.” If you continue to stonewall, then you don’t belong in office and you should resign.

http://select.nytimes.com/2007/02/06/opinion/06kristof.html?hp

==============

Come on, dickhead, we're all waiting for that “stiff dose of truth” from your con-man pie-hole. Give us your your best shot, we can take it. (but we KNOW we'll NEVER get the truth from this Exec)

Nbadan
02-07-2007, 04:42 PM
Chaulk another one up for Conspiracy theories....

In tapes, Libby tells of plan to leak secrets
Jurors hear new details of efforts to discredit Wilson
Greg Miller, Los Angeles Times

Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Washington -- Former White House official Lewis "Scooter" Libby told a grand jury in 2004 that Vice President Dick Cheney was upset by an ambassador's public questioning of the Iraq war and that President Bush, Cheney and Libby were involved in a plan -- kept secret from other senior White House officials -- to leak previously classified intelligence to counter the criticism.

Libby can be heard describing how Cheney was upset when Wilson went public with allegations that the White House had twisted intelligence to make the case for war. In an op-ed article, Wilson said he had been sent to investigate a key claim -- that Iraq was seeking uranium from the African nation of Niger -- and found it untrue, months before President Bush included the allegation in his 2003 State of the Union speech.

"It was a serious accusation," Libby said. "It was a very serious attack." It also quickly became a "topic that was discussed on a daily basis" in the White House.

Libby said that Cheney "thought we should get some of these facts out to the press. He then undertook to get permission from the president to talk about this" to reporters.

san francisco gate (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/02/07/MNGISO03RI1.DTL&feed=rss.news)

Nothing to see here folks, move along...

Nbadan
02-07-2007, 04:47 PM
Meanwhile, in a galaxy far, far away...

http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/n/l/cheney_anakin_cheney.jpg
"From Me?"

elbamba
02-07-2007, 06:17 PM

Can you actually name one thing that Bush has done that is an impeachable offense?

boutons_
02-07-2007, 06:21 PM
"impeachable offense?"

easy:

dereliction of NatSec/NatDefense duty prior to 9/11

all the lies justifying Iraq war.

the destruction of Clinton's excellent FEMA by forcing it into the DHS hell-hole

clambake
02-07-2007, 06:23 PM
Other than that!

DarkReign
02-08-2007, 11:39 AM
Can you actually name one thing that Bush has done that is an impeachable offense?

Silly question, young padawan..

Nbadan
02-12-2007, 06:18 PM
http://www.ajc.com/shared-blogs/ajc/luckovich/media/mike0211.jpg

Nbadan
02-12-2007, 06:37 PM
Pincus Reveals Fleischer As CIA Leak Source
Post's Woodward and Columnist Novak Called as Defense Witness
By Amy Goldstein and Carol D. Leonnig
Washington Post Staff Writers
Monday, February 12, 2007; 4:38 PM

...Washington Post reporter Walter Pincus testified in court this morning that then-White House press secretary Ari Fleischer, not I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, was the first person to tell him that a prominent critic of the Iraq war was married to undercover CIA officer Valerie Plame.

Pincus testified as the first defense witness at Libby's perjury trial. He was followed today by five other Washington journalists, including Washington Post assistant managing editor Bob Woodward and syndicated columnist Robert D. Novak. All of them testified either that they learned about Plame from other administration officials or that they had conversations with Libby, who did not mention her to them -- or both.

Pincus for the first time publicly disclosed the confidential source inside the White House who told him in 2003 that the wife of former ambassador Joseph C. Wilson IV worked at the CIA on matters relating to weapons of mass destruction.

Fleischer testified last month as a prosecution witness that he mentioned Plame only to two reporters -- John Dickerson, then of Time Magazine, and David Gregory of NBC News -- during a trip that President Bush took to Africa.

Pincus, who covers national security and intelligence issues for The Post, told jurors that he was at his newsroom desk on Saturday, July 12, 2003, when he had a telephone conversation with a source. They were discussing a story he was preparing about a trip Wilson took to Niger on behalf of the CIA to explore reports that Iraq had sought to buy uranium from the African nation for its nuclear weapons program.

"The person I was calling suddenly swerved off and said . . . 'Don't you know, in effect, his wife works at the CIA, is an analyst on weapons of mass destruction?' " Pincus testified. He told the court that the source said, "That's why people aren't paying attention" to Wilson's findings that the Iraq reports were unfounded, because he had been sent on the mission by his wife.

Asked by defense attorney William Jeffress Jr. whether his source had been Libby, Pincus replied that he had not. Asked who the source was, Pincus replied: "Ari Fleischer."

Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/12/AR2007021200588_pf.html)

Ari had immunity if he told the truth, lies void the deal, so did Pincus

Nbadan
02-13-2007, 05:16 PM
No shooter, no Scooter...

WASHINGTON -Vice President Dick Cheney will not testify at the perjury and obstruction trial of his former aide, I. Lewis "Scooter Libby, nor will Libby take the stand in his own defense, Libby's lawyer said Tuesday.

Defense attorney Theodore Wells said he advised Cheney's lawyer over lunch that his testimony would not be needed. Wells also said he planned to rest his case without calling Libby.

In December, Wells announced that he would call Cheney as a defense witness. Historians said that it would have been the first time that a sitting vice president would have sat as a witness in a criminal case.

Yahoo News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070213/ap_on_go_pr_wh/cia_leak_trial)

Maybe they could testify together? You know, be there for each other.

Yonivore
02-14-2007, 04:25 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/172/389882499_0a4ab61760_o.jpg

BIG IRISH
02-23-2007, 06:14 AM
From the Washington Post

Trial in Error
If You're Going to Charge Scooter, Then What About These Guys?

By Victoria Toensing
Sunday, February 18, 2007; B01

Could someone please explain to me why Scooter Libby is the only person on trial in the Valerie Plame leak investigation?

Special Counsel Patrick J. Fitzgerald charged Vice President Cheney's former chief of staff with perjury on the theory that Libby had a nefarious reason for lying to a grand jury about what he told reporters regarding CIA officer Plame: He was trying to cover up a White House conspiracy to retaliate against Plame's husband, Joseph C. Wilson IV. Wilson had infuriated Vice President Cheney by accusing the Bush administration of lying about intelligence in the run-up to the Iraq war.

Fitzgerald apparently concluded that a purported cover-up was sufficient motive for Libby to trim his recollections in a criminal way. So when Libby's testimony differed from that of others, it was Libby who got indicted.

There's a reason why responsible prosecutors don't bring perjury cases on mere "he said, he said" evidence. Without an underlying crime or tangible evidence of obstruction (think Martha Stewart trying to destroy phone logs), the trial becomes a mishmash of faulty memories in which witnesses can seem as guilty as the defendant. Any prosecutor knows that memories differ, even vividly, and each party can be convinced that his or her version is the truthful one.

If we accept Fitzgerald's low threshold for bringing a criminal case, then why stop at Libby? This investigation has enough questionable motives and shadowy half-truths and flawed recollections to fill a court docket for months. So here are my own personal bills of indictment:

THIS GRAND JURY CHARGES PATRICK J. FITZERALD with ignoring the fact that there was no basis for a criminal investigation from the day he was appointed, with handling some witnesses with kid gloves and banging on others with a mallet, with engaging in past contretemps with certain individuals that might have influenced his pursuit of their liberty, and with misleading the public in a news conference because . . . well, just because. To wit:

· On Dec. 30, 2003, the day Fitzgerald was appointed special counsel, he should have known (all he had to do was ask the CIA) that Plame was not covert, knowledge that should have stopped the investigation right there. The law prohibiting disclosure of a covert agent's identity requires that the person have a foreign assignment at the time or have had one within five years of the disclosure, that the government be taking affirmative steps to conceal the government relationship, and for the discloser to have actual knowledge of the covert status.

From FBI interviews conducted after Oct. 1, 2003, Fitzgerald also knew that then-Deputy Secretary of State Richard L. Armitage had identified Plame as a CIA officer to columnist Robert D. Novak, who first published Plame's name on July 14, 2003.

· In January 2001, Libby was the lawyer for millionaire financier Marc Rich, whom President Bill Clinton pardoned shortly before leaving office. Fitzgerald, who was then an assistant U.S. attorney in the southern district of New York, and U.S. Attorney James Comey spearheaded the criminal investigation of that pardon.

· Fitzgerald jailed former New York Times reporter Judith Miller for almost 90 days for not providing evidence in a matter that involved no crime. Yet the two were engaged in another dispute: Fitzgerald wanted Miller's phone records, contending that by contacting an Islamic charity, she had alerted it to a government search the day before it happened.

· Fitzgerald granted immunity to former White House press secretary Ari Fleischer without ever asking what he would testify to; he permitted NBC News bureau chief Tim Russert to be interviewed in a law firm office with his lawyer present, while Novak was forced to testify before the grand jury without counsel present.

· Armitage, like Bush adviser Karl Rove, forgot one conversation with a reporter. Fitzgerald threatened Rove with prosecution; Armitage bragged that he didn't even need a lawyer.

· In violating prosecutorial ethics by discussing facts outside the indictment during his Oct. 28, 2005, news conference, Fitzgerald made one factual assertion that turned out to be flat wrong: Libby was not "the first official" to reveal Plame's identity.

THIS GRAND JURY CHARGES THE CIA for making a boilerplate criminal referral to cover its derrière.

The CIA is well aware of the requirements of the law protecting the identity of covert officers and agents. I know, because in 1982, as chief counsel to the Senate intelligence committee, I negotiated the terms of that legislation between the media and the intelligence community. Even if Plame's status were "classified"--Fitzgerald never introduced one piece of evidence to support such status -- no law would be violated.

There is no better evidence that the CIA was only covering its rear by requesting a Justice Department criminal investigation than the fact that it sent a boiler-plate referral regarding a classified leak and not one addressing the elements of a covert officer's disclosure.

THIS GRAND JURY CHARGES JOSEPH C. WILSON IV with misleading the public about how he was sent to Niger, about the thrust of his March 2003 oral report of that trip, and about his wife's CIA status, perhaps for the purpose of getting book and movie contracts.

· On July 6, 2003, Wilson appeared on "Meet the Press" hours after the New York Times published his op-ed "What I Didn't Find in Africa," which accused the administration of twisting intelligence to exaggerate the Iraq threat. The piece suggested that Wilson had been sent to Niger at the vice president's request to look into foreign intelligence reports of Iraqi efforts to obtain yellowcake uranium. Wilson told Andrea Mitchell, "The office of the vice president, I am absolutely convinced, received a very specific response to the question it asked and that response was based upon my trip there." But Cheney said he had no knowledge of Wilson's trip and was never briefed on his oral report to the CIA.

· Wilson has claimed repeatedly -- including on MSNBC's "Countdown" on July 22, 2005 and at the National Press Club on Oct. 31, 2005 -- that he was sent to Niger because of his "specific skill set" and not because of his wife. But Senate intelligence committee documents indicate that Plame suggested his name for the trip, as did a State Department report and a CIA official who briefed the vice president's office.

· Although Wilson has repeatedly claimed that neither his trip nor his oral report was classified, the CIA sent documents about the trip marked "classified" to the vice president's office and to date has not released the essence of the oral report. A source later identified as Wilson claimed in a Washington Post article on June 12, 2003, that documents related to an alleged Iraq-Niger uranium deal were forged because "the dates were wrong and the names were wrong." When Senate intelligence committee staff questioned that, as Wilson had never seen the documents, he responded that he may have "misspoken."

· Wilson has continually played coy about his wife's status. On July 16, 2003, David Corn wrote in the Nation: "Did senior Bush officials blow the cover of a U.S. intelligence officer working covertly in a field of vital importance to national security -- and break the law -- in order to strike at a Bush administration critic and intimidate others?" Corn acknowledged talking to Wilson but said that Wilson refused to talk about his wife. Yet Corn also published Wilson's rather unsubtle suggestion: "Naming her this way would have compromised every operation, every relationship, every network with which she had been associated in her entire career."

Plame was not covert. She worked at CIA headquarters and had not been stationed abroad within five years of the date of Novak's column.

THIS GRAND JURY CHARGES THE MEDIA with hypocrisy in asserting that criminal law was applicable to this "leak" and with misreporting facts to wage a political attack on an increasingly unpopular White House. To wit:

· Notwithstanding the fact that major newspapers have highfalutin', well-paid in-house and outside counsel who can find the disclosure law and even interpret it, the following publications called for a criminal investigation:

· The Atlanta Journal-Constitution called the appointment of a special independent counsel "absolutely necessary" because the allegations "come perilously close to treason" -- even though treason is a constitutional crime requiring two witnesses and the levying of war against the United States.

· The Boston Globe wrote: "This is a case that clearly calls for the appointment of an independent counsel."

· The New York Times naively approved the investigation if it "focused on the White House, not on journalists." It later applauded Fitzgerald's appointment, declaring that he must be allowed "to use the full powers of a special counsel."

· The Washington Post refrained from expressing shock at a "leak." But The Post had contributed to the fray by reporting on Sept. 28, 2003, that "two White House officials called at least six Washington journalists and disclosed the identity and occupation of Wilson's wife . . . to undercut Wilson's credibility." This article was the likely impetus for the other papers' editorials.

As recently as a week ago, the media were displaying their prejudice in this case. On "Meet the Press," journalists lamented that the Libby trial was revealing how government officials can use their relationships with reporters to plant stories that hurt their political enemies. Where was the voice at the table asking, "Didn't Wilson also use the media with his assertions in the New York Times and The Post?"

THIS GRAND JURY CHARGES ARI FLEISCHER because his testimony about conversations differs from reporters' testimony, just as Libby's does. To wit:

· The former White House press secretary testified before the grand jury and at the trial that he had revealed Plame's identity to two reporters -- John Dickerson, then of Time magazine, and NBC News's David Gregory. Dickerson denied it. Gregory won't comment.

· On cross-examination, Fleischer testified that it was "absolutely correct" that he did not tell The Post's Walter Pincus on July 12, 2003, that Wilson's wife worked at the CIA. Pincus emphatically contradicted this, swearing that in the middle of a discussion, Fleischer "swerved off," asking, "Why do you keep writing about Joe Wilson and Joe Wilson's trip? Don't you know his wife worked for the CIA as an analyst for weapons of mass destruction and arranged for it?"

So indict Fleischer. He contradicted Pincus as materially as Libby contradicted Russert or Time's Matthew Cooper, the two witnesses who were the basis for the Libby indictment. Whoops! Can't do that. Fitzgerald gave Fleischer "pig in a poke" immunity. That's an old prosecutor's phrase meaning that Fitzgerald granted Fleischer immunity from prosecution without knowing what Fleischer would say. No problem -- indict Pincus. His testimony differed from Fleischer's and he didn't ask for immunity.

THIS GRAND JURY CHARGES RICHARD L. ARMITAGE with intentionally keeping silent about being the first person to reveal Plame's identity to reporters and with falsely telling the public that he did so at Fitzgerald's request because he did not want to be publicly embarrassed. To wit:

· Novak testified that Armitage told him on July 8, 2003, that it was Wilson's wife, "Valerie," who sent him on the Niger trip. Not until September 2006 did Armitage release Novak to reveal publicly that he had been the columnist's source.

· The Post's Bob Woodward testified that Armitage told him on June 13, 2003, rather colorfully: Wilson's "wife's a [expletive] analyst at the agency." When the FBI interviewed Armitage on Oct. 2, 2003, he apparently forgot about his taped interview with perhaps the most famous journalist of this generation. In November 2005 Armitage released Woodward from their confidentiality agreement -- but only to tell Fitzgerald, not the rest of us, how he had learned of Plame's identity.

· Armitage attributed his more than three years of silence to Fitzgerald's request that he not discuss the matter with anyone. But Fitzgerald was not appointed until Dec. 30, 2003, three months after Armitage now says he realized that he was Novak's source.

· Despite Armitage's claim as to why he kept silent, he yakked to his subordinate Marc Grossman about what he had said in his FBI interview -- conveniently, the night before Grossman's own FBI interview.

THIS GRAND JURY CHARGES THE U.S. JUSTICE DEPARTMENT with abdicating its legal and professional responsibility by passing the investigation off to a special counsel out of personal pique and reasons of ambition.

· Both then-Attorney General John D. Ashcroft and Deputy Attorney General James Comey not only had access to the law books but also the clout and clearances to demand that the CIA tell them whether Plame was covert.

· In the fall of 2003, Ashcroft, having learned that he would probably be replaced after the 2004 elections, had grown weary of taking flak for the president and threw the Libby investigation hot potato to Comey.

· In the fall of 2003, Comey, who hoped to replace Ashcroft as attorney general, in turn passed the hot potato to Fitzgerald, a former colleague and one of his best friends.

I rest my cases.

[email protected]

Victoria Toensing, a deputy assistant attorney general in the Reagan administration, is a Washington lawyer.

:reading :reading :reading
Much to do about nothing until it goes to civil court and Val and her husband
pick up a lot of loot, maybe in two/3 years.

xrayzebra
02-23-2007, 10:09 AM
Newsweek: The CIA Leak: Boring In on the Veep

MSNBC (
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16960657/site/newsweek /)

...more...

and here's the Whoreshington Post:

Vice President's Shadow Hangs Over Trial

Dan, there never was a crime committed. What part of
that do you not understand. The person who first revealed
Plame worked for CIA was not charged and is known and
it wasn't the VP. No crime....no crime.....no crime....
got it?

PixelPusher
02-23-2007, 04:09 PM
Could someone please explain to me why Scooter Libby is the only person on trial in the Valerie Plame leak investigation?
10 years ago, I too would have thought this was much ado about nothing...but the self-righteous Republicans taught us all that lying to a Grand Jury is the worst crime imaginable and MUST be persecuted...er, prosecuted to fullest extent of the law.

Nbadan
02-23-2007, 04:40 PM
On Dec. 30, 2003, the day Fitzgerald was appointed special counsel, he should have known (all he had to do was ask the CIA) that Plame was not covert, knowledge that should have stopped the investigation right there. The law prohibiting disclosure of a covert agent's identity requires that the person have a foreign assignment at the time or have had one within five years of the disclosure, that the government be taking affirmative steps to conceal the government relationship, and for the discloser to have actual knowledge of the covert status.

Well, this completely discredits this article.

Ray, if Plame was no longer a 'active covert agent' as the wingnut media claims, then why did the CIA send her and elements of Brewster Associates, the CIA front company she worked for before it was exposed by this leak, to Africa along with her husband in 2001?

Yonivore
02-23-2007, 04:49 PM
Well, this completely discredits this article.

Ray, if Plame was no longer a 'active covert agent' as the wingnut media claims, then why did the CIA send her and elements of Brewster Associates, the CIA front company she worked for before it was exposed by this leak, to Africa along with her husband in 2001?
In the statute, "covert" has a very specific meaning in which Fitzgerald has already stipulated Plame did not fit.

Nbadan
02-23-2007, 04:53 PM
It's hard to convict people of conspiracy unless you get one of the main conspirators to talk. So Fitz is pressing Libby..........for now.

Yonivore
02-23-2007, 05:04 PM
It's hard to convict people of conspiracy unless you get one of the main conspirators to talk. So Fitz is pressing Libby..........for now.
You're delusional if you think a) Libby will be convicted and b) this is going any further than it already has.