View Full Version : Read and React: Keep Drew

ducks
11-11-2004, 10:44 PM
Read and React: Keep Drew
by Charles Robinson, Yahoo! Sports
November 11, 2004

Headshot
Logo
The opinions arrived on a barge this week – a record number of emails from fans who had plenty to say about Drew Brees, the Miami Dolphins, Nick Saban and more. Keep the responses coming. We love hearing from you. Even those angry, expletive-laced, ALL CAPS emails that won't make it into the forum. Hey, at least you're reading.

Look for my comments in italics. And remember, include your first and last name and the name of your city in responses. Once again, we had a slew of great opinions that didn't make the cut because of an incomplete name or blank city.

Off to the mail …

DREW BREES ("Winds of Change," Nov. 7, 2004)

What a front office. Even when they do something right, they do it wrong. I might point out that if the San Diego Chargers hadn't been their typically stingy selves, they wouldn't be in this situation. Let's make the best of a bad situation, and trade Philip Rivers for someone equally promising. It's not like the Chargers don't have needs.
Butch Felthauser
Tallahassee, Fla.

ADVERTISEMENT

I have a funny feeling the Chargers will regret letting Brees go. Whoever gets him next year may just be getting a big-time steal. Then San Diego may go back to rebuilding mode if Rivers isn't even close to what they hope him to be.
William Edwards
Los Angeles, Calif.

On the bright side, there is the resounding belief that Rivers is the real deal – even now. And I wouldn't compare him to Ryan Leaf. He has better character. When Rivers had an opportunity to get his first playing time against the Raiders, he told the coaches he'd rather just let Brees (who had thrown five touchdowns) stay in and have his day. That's classy.

In San Diego, money has been a negative key in deciding whether a player stays or goes. I hope someone in the organization will get their heads out of their rear for once and see we have the best team since Air Coryell. Chemistry is the key. Add new veterans to boost weaker areas, trade some of your draft picks for established players. Don't kill the best thing going for you.
Jason Puryear
San Diego, Calif.

San Diego was hasty in drafting Philip Rivers, and could have done better with Larry Fitzgerald or even trading down and then taking a Lee Evans or Mark Clayton. Oh well. The Chargers live and die by these bad calls, and Marty Schottenheimer, although talented, has never been patient. Thanks for the cool article. Drew Brees deserves chops as does the entire team.
Andy Greider
Stone Mountain, Ga.

Why can't a scenario like this unfold? It's the end of the season and the Dolphins are in last place. They need a quarterback. The Chargers trade Rivers for the No. 1 draft pick, take USC's Mike Williams and have both a young quarterback in Brees and a young receiver in Williams.
Bob Titus
Hiroshima, Japan

What if San Diego were to try to trade Rivers? What team and what players do you think they could get out of it to be worth their while? There seems to be other teams out there that could use a young quarterback. Could San Diego slap a franchise tag on Brees and then trade him?
Jeff Simon
Corpus Christi, Texas

Unfortunately for the Chargers, there would be massive salary cap ramifications if the Chargers were to trade Rivers, or designate Brees as their franchise player and then trade him. Because of the cap problems, it makes either scenario unlikely. San Diego is basically in the tough position of having to let Brees go for nothing, or face the consequences of tagging him.

I don't think Drew Brees is making great throws – he throws behind his receivers and has no arm strength. I don't want to take credit from him, but having LaDanian Tomlinson in the backfield is the main reason for his recent success. And they suddenly have a solid offensive line, giving him all the time in the world to throw.
Elias Laniado
San Diego, Calif.

MIAMI DOLPHINS ("Miami's Next Move," Nov. 10, 2004)

Does anyone think it is fair Wannstedt gets out of that mess in Miami? Shouldn't he have to suffer through the rest of the season like everyone else?
John Sadorra
San Francisco, Calif.

At one time, I would have agreed with you on Spurrier going to Miami, but I wouldn't bet my paycheck on it now. He will be in college somewhere next year.
Wayne Wetherington
Jacksonville, Fla.

I can understand – though don't always agree with – firing coaches. But why general managers? What did Rick Spielman do that warrants this from the Dolphins? Seems like everyone but the players get blamed. I don't see Wayne Huizenga or Spielman or Dave Wannstedt suiting up and messing up plays.
Kevin Smith
San Pedro, Calif.

Kevin – Spielman is responsible for the talent movement, and he made several questionable moves this offseason. While I wouldn't say the problems all fall on him, he surely deserves some criticism.

NICK SABAN ("Miami's Next Move," Nov. 10, 2004)

You asserted that, "From what we're hearing, LSU's Nick Saban will be an NFL coach next season." On Tuesday, Nov. 8, Saban issued the following statement:

"I'm happy with the job that I have at LSU and I'm not interested in doing anything else. I'm happy here and my family is happy here. I don't know anything about any other jobs."

He has said this numerous times, yet all national reporters still think he has the desire to be a head coach in the NFL. I guarantee Saban won't give up his record-setting contract at LSU, nor will he quit on the players he cares for.
John Collens
Baton Rouge, La.

The quote "I don't know anything about any other jobs" is what we call "wiggle room" in the business. What do you expect him to do during the course of the season? Of course he's going to deny. It's the right thing to do.

I can say this about Saban: After having covered him while he was a coach at Michigan State, and talking to his associates now, his ultimate aspiration is the NFL. As for the thought he'd never "quit on players he cares for", Saban quit on his MSU team for a better job (before the season was over, I might add). What makes you think he won't do it again?

Don't be a bonehead. Not even New Orleans Saints owner Tom Benson is dumb enough to try and hire Nick Saban from LSU. It would be a total public relations nightmare since there are about a hundred times more Tiger fans than Saints fans.
Mike White
Cincinnati, Ohio

A hundred times more Tigers fans than Saints fans – that's exactly why Benson will target Saban. It's about winning. That's the best public relations.

QUICK READS

Many have mentioned the parity in the NFL. Look no further than how you just ranked the bottom five teams right now: Oakland Raiders, San Francisco 49ers, Dallas Cowboys and Miami Dolphins (all mentioned during discussions of dynasties and "best-ever" franchises) along with last-year's Super Bowl runner-up, the Carolina Panthers. Man, times have changed.
Tim King
Seoul, Korea

Great observation.

You're too negative about Chad Pennington being out 2-4 weeks for the New York Jets. Quincy Carter is a very good backup for 2-4 weeks. You fail to mention he had absolutely no offensive weapons on the Dallas Cowboys. He won 10 games with maybe the worst offense in the NFL last year.
Phillip Levine
Boca Raton, Fla.

Great spoof of Paul Tagliabue and the NFL. You jabbed everyone who needed it right in the ribs, and the applause button rang true for those who warrant praise. Great theater out there. This will be one of more enjoyable years for professional football and fans when it's all over and done.
Mitch Lopate
Ocean Grove, Calif.

How about a story about the considerable success of college players from the Mid American Conference in the NFL? It seems like some big names are coming from those schools, such as Miami of Ohio's Ben Roethlisberger and Marshall's Byron Leftwich and Randy Moss.
Dave Eby
Monroe, Mich.

You forgot to mention Marshall's Chad Pennington, Akron's Jason Taylor and Dwight Smith, Central Florida's Daunte Culpepper, Justin McCareins from Northern Illinois.…

Charles Robinson is the national NFL writer for Yahoo! Sports. Send him a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.