PDA

View Full Version : Spurs notebook: All-Star nod surprises Parker

Kori Ellis
02-02-2007, 02:55 AM
Spurs notebook: All-Star nod surprises Parker

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA020207.05D.BKNspurs.parker.2398c54.html

Web Posted: 02/02/2007 01:11 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News

PHOENIX — You can include Tony Parker among those surprised to hear he had been named as one of the Western Conference's seven All-Star reserves Thursday night.

Unlike previous years, the NBA didn't notify the reserves of their selection before making its national announcement on TNT.

Parker wasn't even watching the TNT announcement show. He was in his hotel room with fiancée Eva Longoria watching Michael Jordan take on the Phoenix Suns in an old NBA Finals game on ESPN Classic and switched channels during commercials.

"I came to TNT and I just see the list," Parker said. "I saw my name and I was like, 'I made it?'

"Eva started screaming. I still had a hard time believing. I was like 'Let me make sure.' Nobody's calling me. My agent's not calling me. It was funny." :lol

Thinking the West coaches would select either Denver's Carmelo Anthony or Dallas' Josh Howard ahead of him, Parker had hoped NBA commissioner David Stern would name him as an injury replacement for either Houston's Yao Ming or Utah's Carlos Boozer. Now he doesn't have to wait for Stern's announcement.

While Parker's selection came as a surprise given the number of talented forwards in the West, opposing coaches frequently discuss how difficult it is to defend him given his speed.

"How can you be more happy," Parker said, "when you know the coaches around the NBA respect your game and reward you?"

This is Parker's second consecutive selection to the All-Star team. He will join Tim Duncan, who was voted a starter by the fans, in Las Vegas for the Feb. 18 game.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich told Parker he deserved the selection. Parker joins Duncan, David Robinson, George Gervin, Alvin Robertson, Larry Kenon and Artis Gilmore as the only Spurs with multiple All-Star selections.

"He's playing well and it's kind of neat that the coaches respect what he's done well enough to vote him on," Popovich said. "I'm happy for him."

Rookie White on roster: The Spurs included rookie guard James White on the active roster for only the second time this season.

Before the game, Popovich said he hoped to get White on the floor for a few minutes in the first half. But he didn't want to risk putting him out there in the second half if the game was close.

"He's an athlete, a good kid, is aggressive and all that," Popovich said.

Popovich voted for Howard: Popovich was surprised to hear Dallas' Howard hadn't been named as one of the West's first seven reserves. He's still expected to make the team when Stern chooses replacements for Yao and Boozer.

"I voted for him," Popovich said. "He's having a great year."

Coaches weren't allowed to vote for their own players.

Coach on Stoudemire, Suns: Popovich admitted he thought Phoenix would need longer to settle into a rhythm with Amare Stoudemire still recovering from knee surgery at the start of the season.

"At the beginning of the season, you know who the battles are going to be against and you know who the best teams are going to be," Popovich said. "I didn't think that Phoenix would get this hot this quick. Dallas doesn't surprise me. I did feel Houston was going to be a hell of a basketball team and they've had ... way more adversity than anybody."

timvp
02-02-2007, 02:58 AM
Before the game, Popovich said he hoped to get White on the floor for a few minutes in the first half.

Holy crap. Maybe Pop does read the forum.

:rollin

NuGGeTs-FaN
02-02-2007, 03:00 AM
I think TP isnt the only one suprised that he was chosen :lol

But he deserves it coz i know as an opposing fan that i fear what Parker can do more than Duncan or Manu.

Big Shot Rob
02-02-2007, 03:05 AM
Poor Tony...

He has desperate housewife Eva Longoria in his hotel room...

And they're watching TV?!

sabar
02-02-2007, 03:08 AM
He changed the story to be newspaper friendly.
I'm sure many more people were suprised too. I never expected it.

THE SIXTH MAN
02-02-2007, 03:09 AM
Poor Tony...

Yeah I'm sure if they were doing anything they'd tell some random reporter. :rolleyes

fred33
02-02-2007, 03:26 AM
Poor Tony...

And they're watching TV?! 2 hours before the game no sexe :p:

Nbadan
02-02-2007, 03:29 AM
Yeah I'm sure if they were doing anything they'd tell some random reporter. :rolleyes

Or a downtown cop.

WalterBenitez
02-02-2007, 05:24 AM
Poor Tony...

Because of his stats I bet he wasn't watching tv :lol

btw, congrats TP :toast

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-02-2007, 05:42 AM
Heh heh I wasn't expecting Tony (or Manu definitely) to make it this year after AI came to the West..

Tony deserves the nod over the other choices, so that was funny to read.

jack0fspeed
02-02-2007, 07:24 AM
Tony deserves the nod over the other choices, so that was funny to read.

I would have voted for Ray Allen myself. The Spurs got respect for having a good team. Dallas did not.